• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

JB1981 said:
Glanton/Snubbs:

What are your thoughts on German Volume Training?

A guy I work with has been doing this for years and hes a strong SOB. I tried it for about 2 weeks and got bored with it(you do get pretty sore by the 80-90th rep though), plus it takes a long time in the gym for me to do 10x10.
so I went back to 5x5 with heavy weights.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Was nice out and I have the day off tomorrow so I did walking lunges outside again with two heavy sets...100-150-185-210-210. This time I didn't superset squats or anything else since I slept about 5 hours a day during the week. I felt like I was gonna pass out after the lunges but now I feel so fucking good after a 20 min walk...

I'm getting the thickness in the tear drops (lower quads) from the full squats too. Might do low weight/high rep squats later, see how that turns out, since I did squats & 30mins of high intensity bike yesterday.

JB1981 said:
Glanton/Snubbs:

What are your thoughts on German Volume Training?

Heard mixed things about it. As was stated, long, boring, tedious, but I've done routines that have 10+ sets of exercises before. No big deal.

However, you are probably going to lose strength, a problem reported by many users of it. At 10 sets for 10 reps each, not really using a heavy enough load. Good for size gains, however.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I haven't been keeping logs of my strength gains but I have been keeping a mental note of the major workouts (Squats, Benching, Dumbbell workouts). Today I did 65lb Dumbbell presses and I feel that next week, if I do them again, I should be doing a full set of 70lb. This is up from 40lb I started out with and struggled with. It just feels so satisfying when you look back at the gains you've made.

Chichikov

BlueTsunami said:
I haven't been keeping logs of my strength gains but I have been keeping a mental note of the major workouts (Squats, Benching, Dumbbell workouts). Today I did 65lb Dumbbell presses and I feel that next week, if I do them again, I should be doing a full set of 70lb. This is up from 40lb I started out with and struggled with. It just feels so satisfying when you look back at the gains you've made.
Start a log-book now.
Nothing is more awesome than looking through 10 years of progression.
Plus you can make awesome graphs in Excel!

I'm having issues. All of my big lifts go up pretty steadily except for bench. I'm also not really seeing any increase in things like the amount of pushups I can do really either. I started off not being able to do any standard pushups, got to the point where I could do 3x8 now I'm trying to go up to 3x10 but I've been stuck at 1x10 2x8 for a couple of weeks now no matter how hard I try to push those reps.

As far as bench goes. I hit 135x5 in sets a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't been abloe to do anything more. I'm trying to get 135x6 before I move on to 145, but I've been stuck at 4-5 reps. I dunno if it's a mental thing because I worry so much about not having a spot or what, but it's annoying me. Maybe it's my form, I have bad wrist positioning, in fact today I cut back on the weight and focused entirely on keeping my wrists and forearms in line.

Legs, back, etc. I have no issues with. Everything steadily goes up. Just the other day I started doing sets of squats with 190 and pretty sure I do 195 next time I'm in there.

I'm thinking about changing up my routine and doing something more standard fare. Might just have to start strictly following Starting Strength or something. As for my goals, I wanna lose fat, gain strength, and preserve muscle mass.

deadbeef

DarthWufei said:
I'm having issues. All of my big lifts go up pretty steadily except for bench. I'm also not really seeing any increase in things like the amount of pushups I can do really either. I started off not being able to do any standard pushups, got to the point where I could do 3x8 now I'm trying to go up to 3x10 but I've been stuck at 1x10 2x8 for a couple of weeks now no matter how hard I try to push those reps.

As far as bench goes. I hit 135x5 in sets a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't been abloe to do anything more. I'm trying to get 135x6 before I move on to 145, but I've been stuck at 4-5 reps. I dunno if it's a mental thing because I worry so much about not having a spot or what, but it's annoying me. Maybe it's my form, I have bad wrist positioning, in fact today I cut back on the weight and focused entirely on keeping my wrists and forearms in line.

Legs, back, etc. I have no issues with. Everything steadily goes up. Just the other day I started doing sets of squats with 190 and pretty sure I do 195 next time I'm in there.

I'm thinking about changing up my routine and doing something more standard fare. Might just have to start strictly following Starting Strength or something. As for my goals, I wanna lose fat, gain strength, and preserve muscle mass.

Are you losing weight currently, or gaining weight? Unfortunately for me, as my bodyweight increases, so does my bench press. So there is always this love/hate relationship with strength gains - eventually I get fed up with being bigger and go on a diet.

But the good news is it is pretty realistic to keep most of your strength gains if you diet down properly.

Chichikov

DarthWufei said:

I doubt form is the limiting factor at such weight, quite honestly, a healthy individual should be able to train himself to much heavier weights even with crappy form.
So it could very much be a mental thing, lot of people have problems with that in the press.
Try to do them in a power cage, using the pins instead of a spotter, it helps a lot.

methos75

Banned
Dice Man said:
Are you losing weight currently, or gaining weight? Unfortunately for me, as my bodyweight increases, so does my bench press. So there is always this love/hate relationship with strength gains - eventually I get fed up with being bigger and go on a diet.

But the good news is it is pretty realistic to keep most of your strength gains if you diet down properly.

\Maybe I am missing something, but the whole point of lifting is too get bigger and stronger, why waste time in the gym lifting is that is not you goal? Especially compound lifts like the Bench, who's only prupose is too add size and strength.

Dice Man said:

I'm losing weight right now. Lost about 40 lbs so far. Lost about 40 lbs so far, but I wanna hit the 170-180 range. Also I need to get my BF measured.

Chichikov said:
I doubt form is the limiting factor at such weight, quite honestly, a healthy individual should be able to train himself to much heavier weights even with crappy form.
So it could very much be a mental thing, lot of people have problems with that in the press.
Try to do them in a power cage, using the pins instead of a spotter, it helps a lot.
I'll try this out next time. Only problem is my gym has only one power cage, and it's also the only place you can squat. I don't want to be the guy hogging it for benching. We have a Smith machine but uh.... I hate the Smith machine.

I really just need to grow some balls. I got pinned under the bar a month ago and I think the thought of doing it again is what's been holding me back mentally.

deadbeef

methos75 said:
\Maybe I am missing something, but the whole point of lifting is too get bigger and stronger, why waste time in the gym lifting is that is not you goal? Especially compound lifts like the Bench, who's only prupose is too add size and strength.

I'm not gifted enough to be able to gain only muscle when I am eating excess calories. Inevitably, I gain a quantity of body fat along with the muscle. So, even though I love getting stronger and stronger, I don't really like having to buy an extra set of pants or whatever to go along with the extra strength (and fat).

So at some point, I go on a diet to lose the fat and try to hang on to most of my strength gains. I can usually do that.

I was just pointing out that sometimes it can be unrealistic to have strength gains in all areas, especially if you are dieting.

And the guy just said, he is losing weight, so I would say he shouldn't worry too much about not improving a lot in the bench press. It is a lift that fluctuates along with my bodyweight, for me.

Chichikov

Dice Man said:
And the guy just said, he is losing weight, so I would say he shouldn't worry too much about not improving a lot in the bench press. It is a lift that fluctuates along with my bodyweight, for me.
That would've made sense if he was not making progress in his other lifts, but since it seems only the bench press is giving him problems, it's likely he has some issue with it.

deadbeef

Chichikov said:
That would've made sense if he was not making progress in his other lifts, but since it seems only the bench press is giving him problems, it's likely he has some issue with it.

Maybe, maybe not. He could just be starting out lifting, and most of his other gains are neurological adaptations as he learns the various lifts. Maybe he's been bench-pressing for along time - it's pretty much one of the 2 basic dude-lifts (along with curls :D).

Also, progress isn't necessarily linear. I've gone long stretches without adding any weight to the bar and then been able to add 20 pounds or so, seemingly out of nowhere.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Lately I've been trying to practice to squat with out using a chair to sit, I use no weights. I can't seem to do it my knees can only go about 75 degree angle before I start going on my toes. I get the feeling I'm not really getting the full benefits of a squat using a chair to help me out.

methos75

Banned
Qwerty710710 said:
Lately I've been trying to practice to squat with out using a chair to sit, I use no weights. I can't seem to do it my knees can only go about 75 degree angle before I start going on my toes. I get the feeling I'm not really getting the full benefits of a squat using a chair to help me out.

Just do full squats, go straight down butt as close to the ground as possible, I went from doing the usual pussy squats you see most doing to those about two months ago and have already added 2 inches to my quads. Much superior to the crap squats others do.

I checked the OP but I think I missed the subject of gym work out hydration. I'm going to be working out for about 3 hours or so and I wonder should I just stick to water only?I know fitness/sports water is important but the sugar total in some will be more harmful than helpful right? I was thinking of sticking with Propel or that new lite Gatorade. Thoughts?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Urban Scholar said:
I checked the OP but I think I missed the subject of gym work out hydration. I'm going to be working out for about 3 hours or so and I wonder should I just stick to water only?I know fitness/sports water is important but the sugar total in some will be more harmful than helpful right? I was thinking of sticking with Propel or that new lite Gatorade. Thoughts?

great question. i'm curious about this as well, and would particularly like to hear impressions on powerade's new zero calorie sports drink.

Qwerty710710 said:
People who learn to squat with a chair/bench tend to squat high. Like methos said, you're better off without the chair and going as deep as you can. If your ass is the most sore part of you after you squat, you're on the right track. And to keep your feet flat, make sure that you are moving your hips back as you squat; don't just drop straight down.

beelzebozo said:
great question. i'm curious about this as well, and would particularly like to hear impressions on powerade's new zero calorie sports drink.

Hmm, I'll give it a go and see how my workout goes today and let you know.

Jirotrom

I know I'm a weirdo but when I go on crazy long hikes I take water and a powerade, I drink the powerade when i feel my body needs the sugar boost, these are long hikes though 3-5 hours.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Captain Glanton said:
People who learn to squat with a chair/bench tend to squat high. Like methos said, you're better off without the chair and going as deep as you can. If your ass is the most sore part of you after you squat, you're on the right track. And to keep your feet flat, make sure that you are moving your hips back as you squat; don't just drop straight down.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose I thought your knees had to be at L shape position in order to do a squat. I'll try it hopefully I could get close.

Qwerty710710 said:
Doesn't that defeat the purpose I thought your knees had to be at L shape position in order to do a squat. I'll try it hopefully I could get close.

For some reason, I don't know where it came from, but there was the huge stigma "don't let your knees go over your toes" with the squats. The intention was right: you don't want stress placed on your knees. However, the execution is wrong. The MOST important aspect of the squat is staying on your heels/midfoot. Once you come forward onto your toes, the weight shifts to the entire front of the leg/knee, and that's when shit gets fucked up.

In addition, if you do a low bar/hips back squat, it is much harder to go "ass to grass", but parallel is still a REQUIREMENT. High bar/hips down (squatting "between your legs"), as olympic weightlifters do them, are much easier to go below parallel, though the usable weight is much less than a low bar squat. And that brings up a WHOLE different argument...

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Mr. Snrub said:
For some reason, I don't know where it came from, but there was the huge stigma "don't let your knees go over your toes" with the squats. The intention was right: you don't want stress placed on your knees. However, the execution is wrong. The MOST important aspect of the squat is staying on your heels/midfoot. Once you come forward onto your toes, the weight shifts to the entire front of the leg/knee, and that's when shit gets fucked up.

In addition, if you do a low bar/hips back squat, it is much harder to go "ass to grass", but parallel is still a REQUIREMENT. High bar/hips down (squatting "between your legs"), as olympic weightlifters do them, are much easier to go below parallel, though the usable weight is much less than a low bar squat. And that brings up a WHOLE different argument...

The problem is my ass can't stay parallel to the ground I'm about 2 inches too high. I'm not flexible enough my heels don't want to stay put. It really pisses me off I really don't want to use a chair anymore

Jirotrom said:
I know I'm a weirdo but when I go on crazy long hikes I take water and a powerade, I drink the powerade when i feel my body needs the sugar boost, these are long hikes though 3-5 hours.
5 hours of hiking is a whole other thing. At that length, you need all the carbs you can handle. I'd take a few bars as well as water and a sports-sugary drink.

Qwerty710710 said:
The problem is my ass can't stay parallel to the ground I'm about 2 inches too high. I'm not flexible enough my heels don't want to stay put. It really pisses me off I really don't want to use a chair anymore
Then maybe you need to work on stretching out your lower legs?

Barrett2

Chichikov said:
Start a log-book now.
Nothing is more awesome than looking through 10 years of progression.
Plus you can make awesome graphs in Excel!

I wish I had been keeping a log book; after a few years of lifting you definitely do lose track of fluctuations and overall progress. An excel graph would be pretty cool, too. :D

Glanton! I finally did it! Signing up to a gym, that is. I've finished college, so I have all the summer to get some muscle going, being (as you know) a kinda skinny guy. The guy who showed me the place was like Brucie with a ponytail. I guess that in a couple months of weight training with the guy supervising both exercises and diet I will get some visible results. Will post pics if everything goes well!

Gogogo

JB1981

Glanton/Snubbs:

This is a workout of my own making. The goal here is to increase strength and put on size. Please give me your thoughts and feel free to criticize and/or make suggestions.

Workout Program

Sets: 3
Reps: 12 x 10 x 8

Monday
-Squat
- Curl Bar Overhead Lunges
- Flat Bench Press
- Military Press
- Weighted/Non-Weighted Pullups (failure)
- Bent over Rows (dumbells)
- Straight Bar Curls
- Skull Crushers

Tuesday
- Stiff-Leg Deadlift
- Leg Curls
- Straight Bar Bent-Over Rows
- Incline Bench Press
- Close-grip Press
- Seated Rows
- Preacher Curls

Wednesday - Off (Home Workout)
- Jog
- Jump Rope
- Abs

Thursday
- Squat
- Dumbell Lunges
- Flat Bench Press
- Dumbell Flys
- Weighted Dips
- Lat Pulldowns
- Shrugs

Friday
- Stiff Leg deadlift
- Leg Extensions
- Military Press
- Straight Bar Rows
- Incline Press
- Skull Crushers
- Straight bar curls

- i prefer full body workouts and I am trying to break things up into upper/lower body as much as I can.

mr stroke

Urban Scholar said:

Depends on what your doing for three hours?
wieght lifting for three hours-then sure water is fine because your not sweating as much
Running 3 hours/marathon/Tri-then YOU MUST DRINK A SPORTS DRINK, if its hot outside your draining a ton of sweat from your body that needs to be replaced with water but also salt,carbs, and calories that the sports drink provides. If your doing a 3 hour workout I wouldn't worry about the calories as your buring them off anyway.

great artical here-
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-302--10086-1-1X2X3X4-5,00.html

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
JB1981 said:
Glanton/Snubbs:

This is a workout of my own making. The goal here is to increase strength and put on size. Please give me your thoughts and feel free to criticize and/or make suggestions.

Workout Program

- i prefer full body workouts and I am trying to break things up into upper/lower body as much as I can.

You are doing too much. Way too many workouts, way too many reps, and way too many days working out.

See previous discussion with mr stroke.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
JB1981 said:
Glanton/Snubbs:

Workout Program

Monday
-Squat
- Curl Bar Overhead Lunges
- Flat Bench Press
- Military Press
- Weighted/Non-Weighted Pullups (failure)
- Bent over Rows (dumbells)
- Straight Bar Curls
- Skull Crushers

Tuesday
- Stiff-Leg Deadlift
- Leg Curls
- Straight Bar Bent-Over Rows
- Incline Bench Press
- Close-grip Press
- Seated Rows
- Preacher Curls

Wednesday - Off (Home Workout)
- Jog
- Jump Rope
- Abs

Thursday
- Squat
- Dumbell Lunges
- Flat Bench Press
- Dumbell Flys
- Weighted Dips
- Lat Pulldowns
- Shrugs

Friday
- Stiff Leg deadlift
- Leg Extensions
- Military Press
- Straight Bar Rows
- Incline Press
- Skull Crushers
- Straight bar curls

I'm not even expert but thats seems alot of work in 1 week.

J. M. Romeo said:
Glanton! I finally did it! Signing up to a gym, that is. I've finished college, so I have all the summer to get some muscle going, being (as you know) a kinda skinny guy. The guy who showed me the place was like Brucie with a ponytail. I guess that in a couple months of weight training with the guy supervising both exercises and diet I will get some visible results. Will post pics if everything goes well!

Gogogo
Hey! Good to have you back! And yes, having access to pro-grade equipment is practically a necessity.

JB1981 said:
Glanton/Snubbs:

Workout Program

What they said. You're doing way too much. And :lol at Mr. Snrub's name!

JB1981

Captain Glanton said:
Hey! Good to have you back! And yes, having access to pro-grade equipment is practically a necessity.

What they said. You're doing way too much. And :lol at Mr. Snrub's name!

See, the thing is I love doing legs and I want to incorporate them into basically all of my workouts. I actually just got home from doing my Monday routine and I did cut it a bit short because the squats/lunges wipe me but overall, the routine is actually working in my favor. I have made big gains in size and my stamina has increased. I actually do agree with you guys that the routine is too much ... do you have any suggestions on how to change it up? I basically want to deadlift, squat, bench and press twice a week.

Today's workout I did 4 sets of squats, 3 sets of walking lunges. 3 sets of bench. 3 sets of presses, pullups, bent over rows and straight bar curls. I actually don't think that's too much .... what do you guys think? Can you help me come up with a modified version of the routine I posted earlier?

Barrage

*sigh* I was forced to take a week off due to my oblique muscle seriously acting up...I feel fricking weak right now. :(

JB1981 said:
See, the thing is I love doing legs and I want to incorporate them into basically all of my workouts. I actually just got home from doing my Monday routine and I did cut it a bit short because the squats/lunges wipe me but overall, the routine is actually working in my favor. I have made big gains in size and my stamina has increased. I actually do agree with you guys that the routine is too much ... do you have any suggestions on how to change it up? I basically want to deadlift, squat, bench and press twice a week.
Today's workout I did 4 sets of squats, 3 sets of walking lunges. 3 sets of bench. 3 sets of presses, pullups, bent over rows and straight bar curls. I actually don't think that's too much .... what do you guys think? Can you help me come up with a modified version of the routine I posted earlier?
See, that's still too much. I'm big on doing a few things with great intensity. Unless you're a world-class athlete, that's too much to do with intensity. When I was doing total body workouts, I would do one (1) major exercise each day for legs, pressing, and back, and then I'd throw on some extra crap at the end for arms, etc. And I only did that three days a week and then run sprints and do other things outside a day or two a week.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
JB1981 said:

Pace yourself, fullbody workout does not mean overtraining. You have five compounds in one workout that is a terrible routine.

Bajan32

Well i been kinda reading this thread for a long time and i wanna finally get off my ass and get in shape. Im in no means terrible shape but im tired of wishing i was in better shape.

Few quick stats before a couple questions.
30yo, 5'10', 180ish lbs. was 205lbs few months back

So i just ordered the book "Starting Strength", I've got a gym membership already.
Ill be starting(trying to annyway) w/ the training come next week, and already changing out the foods around my house to the low carb high protein, more fruits and veggies.

So my questions...

1) How do I go about finding good starting weights for these exercises? Dont want to over do it and get hurt, or use too less weight and waste time.

2) I don't want to bulk up or get big so much as i want to get cut/defined. lose my little gut and get better some muscle size/definition especially my chest arms and back. Does the book get into secondary exercises for such things?

3) Will doing my HIIT training using a bike going up a hill be good for the fat loss/cardio section? And should i do it on my off days from the weights or do i have to get into my HIIT while at the gym?

4) How long till i see some kind of tangible changes in my physique(its the main reason i always stop working out, never seem to see anything happening and i give up =/ )

these may be stupid questions to you guys but any advice would be appreciated. I really am a workout newb ; ;

JB1981

MrToughPants said:
Pace yourself, fullbody workout does not mean overtraining. You have five compounds in one workout that is a terrible routine.

What would be a good compound routine, because i prefer those types of workouts?

Bajan32 said:
Well i been kinda reading this thread for a long time and i wanna finally get off my ass and get in shape. Im in no means terrible shape but im tired of wishing i was in better shape.
Congrats!
Few quick stats before a couple questions.
30yo, 5'10', 180ish lbs. was 205lbs few months back

So i just ordered the book "Starting Strength", I've got a gym membership already.
Ill be starting(trying to annyway) w/ the training come next week, and already changing out the foods around my house to the low carb high protein, more fruits and veggies.

So my questions...

1) How do I go about finding good starting weights for these exercises? Dont want to over do it and get hurt, or use too less weight and waste time.
Start off with what seems like appropriate warmup weight, and use it to warm up. Then add weight until it's a challenge to finish your sets. Challenge is good.

2) I don't want to bulk up or get big so much as i want to get cut/defined. lose my little gut and get better some muscle size/definition especially my chest arms and back. Does the book get into secondary exercises for such things?
No. Rippetoe's philosophy is that you do the big, compound, challenging lifts for the major muscle groups, and everything else follows from that. Think in terms of becoming a better presser, and your chest and shoulders will develop from there. Do not think in terms of polishing your delts.
3) Will doing my HIIT training using a bike going up a hill be good for the fat loss/cardio section? And should i do it on my off days from the weights or do i have to get into my HIIT while at the gym?
Yes. And people do it both ways, but I think that your workouts will tire you out, and you'll want to do your HIIT on your off days.
4) How long till i see some kind of tangible changes in my physique(its the main reason i always stop working out, never seem to see anything happening and i give up =/ )
Beginners see results much faster--think in terms of weeks, but it all depends on your genes. But also remember that you're working to improve your quality of life for your whole lifetime, not trying to drop the paunch for your August vacation just to gain it back with Halloween candy. Right?
these may be stupid questions to you guys but any advice would be appreciated. I really am a workout newb ; ;
S'alright.

JB1981 said:
What would be a good compound routine, because i prefer those types of workouts?
Edit: I wrote up a total body routine that I recommend to a lot of people, but I'm not sure what you meant by "compound."

Day 1
Squat
Weighted Ninja Warrior Pullups
Overhead Presses
Superset Weighted Regular Pullups and Dips

Day 2
Deadlift
Walking Lunges
Flat Bench Press
Sup. Wei. Reg. Pullups and Dips

Day 3
Front Squat
Barbell Rows
Incline Bench Press
Guess What?

If you do that for three months, and you do every set to the point of exhausation or nearing failure, and you eat like a beast, you will become a beast. Or more of a beast, as the case may be.

Actually, I think I might switch to this. I've been doing upper/lower splits for long enough.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Captain Glanton said:
Weighted Ninja Warrior Pullups

I'm calling bullshit on that name! Prove it or gtfo!

What the hell is it? It sounds awesome, but it's probably a pain in the ass workout, ain't it?

reilo said:
I'm calling bullshit on that name! Prove it or gtfo!

What the hell is it? It sounds awesome, but it's probably a pain in the ass workout, ain't it?
There's now a description of Ninja Warrior Pullups in the OP, near the bottom.

JB1981

Just read the OP.

Good shit, Glanton. I will try your workout for a few weeks too.

The weighted Ninja warrior pullups have me confused, though.....

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Just to make this clear, it's generally a good idea to do a light warm-up then do most of your stretching after your lifting during cool down, right?

What were the negative effects again when it comes to stretching too much before lifting? I used to know this stuff but I haven't worked out for awhile and my mind went to goo along with my gut. :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just want to state that walking lunges are way better than stationary ones. They feel way more natural, you just need a straightaway to do it correctly.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
JB1981 said:
Just read the OP.

Good shit, Glanton. I will try your workout for a few weeks too.

The weighted Ninja warrior pullups have me confused, though.....

I'm the Anti Glanton. If you need help with split routines, muscle-specific movements (e.g. tricep kickbacks, supine curls, hammer curls, flys, ab work) I'm your man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom