• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sol.. said:
What he was doing really just seems like isometrics. That stuff aint no joke as far as what i've been able to research about it.

Still has the aura of pseudoscience though. I need more credible info.

Exactly. I'm not buying it.

Chichikov

Mr. Snrub said:
Whoa.

STOP.

HOLD UP.

Whatever I told you guys, whatever I told ANYONE in this thread...ignore it.

Watch this. This is THE workout ANSWER.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KaJ1dua5Qms
Fucking epic.
This is the greatest thing I've seen in my life.

Sol.. said:
What he was doing really just seems like isometrics. That stuff aint no joke as far as what i've been able to research about it.

Still has the aura of pseudoscience though. I need more credible info.
Isometrics are most effective when the muscle need to resist force in a static position (maintaining the low position on a push-up, cross on the rings etc.) but even you go the route of pushing an immovable object, why the fuck would you need a machine?
Go push a wall.

Captain Glanton said:
Out of all the smartass comments I could make about Mr. Sporty Bra, aka "Cammy," aka the guy who refers to himself in alternating first and third person in the comments, I'll just say that that dude is pretty amazing, if he could really close grip bench 460 lbs. 460 FUCKING POUNDS!!
What makes you think he can?
Excreting 460 pounds of force in an almost locked arm position does mean you can bench press 460 pounds.
Not remotely.

Chichikov

2ljm0cy.gif

OH FUCK YEAH!

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Chichikov said:
Isometrics are most effective when the muscle need to resist force in a static position (maintaining the low position on a push-up, cross on the rings etc.) but even you go the route of pushing an immovable object, why the fuck would you need a machine?
Go push a wall.

I think it's less about needing a machine but craving the numbers and technology. He looks like sort of a nerd and us nerds like to have track able numbers (hence the huge data sheet).

i agree with you on how to use it effectively. From what i've learned about it so far. Most people like to have you take one exercise (like pushing a wall) and do it at several points of a range of motion that way you get strength thats applicable to pushing weights.

EDIT: ROFL at that epic gif.

Oh man that guy is awesome.

So, a question. I've gotten back into lifting again for about the past month, and I've begun incorporating the necessary heavy lifts like deadlifts and squats. The only issue is that I'm working out with a guy who's brand new to weights. (I've been through this several times before)

So finally getting to the question. I know you guys preach the Rippetoe system and I'm actually pretty excited to try it, but how realistic is it to think I'm going to get this guy into such an intense program like this? Also, my guy is desperately trying to lose weight. Would that make the program maybe less appropriate for him?

Also, in the interim, is there an exercise that hits your traps besides shrugs? Or is there something else entirely I should be looking at? Thanks all!

deadbeef

I finally, FINALLY, signed back up for the gym today, so starting week after next I can finally get back to deadlifts, squats, and benchpress. Wonder how my strength has held up in the past 5 months.

I've been walking with my XVest with about 60 pounds 3X per week for about 30-45 minutes each time. I like the vest a lot.

Also, I just got some high resistance grip trainers (6 total) today, there's a 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, and 350 lb resistance gripper.

I can get about 5 reps with the 200 lb one, but I can't close the 250 lb one. It will be fun doing some grip training.

Chichikov

joeblackisback said:

So, a question. I've gotten back into lifting again for about the past month, and I've begun incorporating the necessary heavy lifts like deadlifts and squats. The only issue is that I'm working out with a guy who's brand new to weights. (I've been through this several times before)

So finally getting to the question. I know you guys preach the Rippetoe system and I'm actually pretty excited to try it, but how realistic is it to think I'm going to get this guy into such an intense program like this? Also, my guy is desperately trying to lose weight. Would that make the program maybe less appropriate for him?

Also, in the interim, is there an exercise that hits your traps besides shrugs? Or is there something else entirely I should be looking at? Thanks all!
I don't do Ripptoe, but I would recommend strength training to pretty much anyone.
Combined with diet and cardio it will definitely help in losing fat.

Mr. Snrub said:
:lol

Regardless of his Kratos-like appearance, next time ask him for some reasoning behind his suggestions.

"Put the bar lower"-This is legitimate advice, for a low-bar squat. I do low bar squats. Powerlifters exaggerate this to minimize the distance between the bar and their hips (mechanical advantage here); powerlifting organizations even have rules as to how low you can place the bar. If you're doing high bar squats, it doesn't apply.

"Wear a belt"-Bullshit, unless you have back problems or are attempting a repetition max, belts are detrimental.

"Look upwards"-I think this is the old stigma because of worries about falling forward when you have that much weight on your back. Looking up is not necessary and with beginners can lead to doing a "leg press with a barbell on your back", which does not utilize hip drive. But again, it depends on the type of squat you're doing. Olympic high bar squats don't use much hip drive, so it's not a big deal there.
I have no clue what's going on in this thread right now, but thanks for responding. :lol

I doubt I'll ever see the guy again. I had to get into the gym an hour or so earlier than I usually do, was a lot of people I had never seen before in there, including him.

I dunno, I've never had any issues with my form before. I was fucking shit up yesterday though, mostly due to the fact that I didn't have my feet as wide as I usually do and it was obviously throwing me off, but that's my fault for not paying more attention. I've never had any issues with my back, driving with my hips or legs, or getting low enough. Leaning forward is my only issue as when I'm coming up with the heavier weight I tend to lose balance on some reps and step forward. That's what I've been working on because I can tell the difference between a good rep and one I lean too far forward on.

Anyway, I find it more annoying that all he gave me advice on was positioning, and not the actual lift itself.

joeblackisback said:

Definitely have him do Rippetoe's. It's really not that intense, it just requires hard work.

For traps: power shrugs. You should be using 100-125% of your deadlift 1RM max for these. Your traps WILL grow.

ok, I've known them as runner's girdle, but it's the lines that run down the sides of the torso just below the abs that lead to the happy place...

that area, how do i make that moar defined?
i have some new low rise jeans, and while what i have is great, i want them to be insane.
:D

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
You might want to turn the ol' sarcasm meter on.
Whatever man, didn't even realize I was quoting you, you keep changing your fucking picture.
You want me to look at your user name?
Fuck that.
Remember - I can barely read.

So I don't know, do I suck?
Let's ask Captain Sports-Bra Man -
ndsad.gif

Fuck.
:(

Chichikov said:
Whatever man, didn't even realize I was quoting you, you keep changing your fucking picture.
:(
I just can't find one picture that conveys my high levels of awesome.

KibblesBits said:
ok, I've known them as runner's girdle, but it's the lines that run down the sides of the torso just below the abs that lead to the happy place...

that area, how do i make that moar defined?
i have some new low rise jeans, and while what i have is great, i want them to be insane.
:D
Cut every bit of non-lean food out of your diet, and then cut your calories down after that.

joeblackisback said:

I don't think you have to follow Rippetoe's system, although it is a great place to start from. But you will need to convince your friend that he needs to do something intense and challenging; otherwise neither of you will make any progress. If he just wants to do concentration curls and situps, then the sad fact is that you'll have to get a new partner, because you won't make any more progress than he does. Chains, weakest links, etc.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
BlueTsunami said:
Did he really state that hes been doing that workout for 5 Years? 5 FUCKING YEARS?

And look how successful it's been!

What guy wouldn't want to have Keira Knightley's body?

Boogie

Captain Glanton said:
I just can't find one picture that conveys my high levels of awesome.

I preferred both Kratos and Coleman to your current av.

Me, I've had the same avatar for...8 years now. Only changed it once, for about 4 months or so.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I've been doing the following poor man's Rippetoe the last 3 weeks since I'm a newb. Let me know if I'm missing any core exercises and I'm open to any and all changes. I do HIIT running 2-3 times a week in between routine A and B. I alternate between the two routines every three days:

A:
3x6 Incline Bench
3x6 Flat Bench
3x6 Squat

B:
3x5 Pull-Up
2x Dips to failure, not many
1x6 Deadlifts
3x6 Squat

I work my ass off each set and have been eating healthy as hell. I honestly feel like I'm in the best shape of my life, but what kills me is I'm completely out of breath after each workout. I'm 5'10 165 lbs so not really overweight, but could probably lose some more body fat.

deadbeef

suffah said:
I've been doing the following poor man's Rippetoe the last 3 weeks since I'm a newb. Let me know if I'm missing any core exercises and I'm open to any and all changes. I do HIIT running 2-3 times a week in between routine A and B. I alternate between the two routines every three days:

A:
3x6 Incline Bench
3x6 Flat Bench
3x6 Squat

B:
3x5 Pull-Up
3x6 Squat

I work my ass off each set and have been eating healthy as hell. I honestly feel like I'm in the best shape of my life, but what kills me is I'm completely out of breath after each workout. I'm 5'10 165 lbs so not really overweight, but could probably lose some more body fat.

I would say do the Pull-Ups to failure once per week. No deadlifts? :(

Some of you guys are intense.

I just got my first YMCA membership a few days ago--I've been using my university's gym and parks up to now. I mainly stick to the Pro Cor Elliptical, Recumbent Bike, Stairmaster, Hip Abductor machines (inner and outer), Pec Fly, and Bench Press. I can only bench about 60 LB without extreme strain--which is kinda bad, I guess, but I'm not looking to be some big muscleman either.

I tried going into the weight room to start out on higher level weights (I've been using 20 lb at home) and felt embarrassed. It was filled with a bunch of meatheads staring at themselves strain their neck muscles in the mirror while Disturbed blared in the background. Need to get their earlier to avoid all that.

The pool is also a nice workout--I get out and feel exhausted, but relaxed as well.

I can already feel my leg, thigh, hip, arm, and pec muscles re-tightening after the long gap between school ending and my joining the Y. I'm just happy to see that I've formed some decent muscle memory and that my heart's in good shape.

aznpxdd

Can someone post a video of a proper deadlift?

JzeroT1437 said:
I tried going into the weight room to start out on higher level weights (I've been using 20 lb at home) and felt embarrassed. It was filled with a bunch of meatheads staring at themselves strain their neck muscles in the mirror while Disturbed blared in the background. Need to get their earlier to avoid all that.

Meh, who cares. Everyone is at the gym to better themselves, there's no need to be embarrassed.

aznpxdd said:
Meh, who cares. Everyone is at the gym to better themselves, there's no need to be embarrassed.

I still feel embarrassed struggling with my tiny 25 lb weights when there are guys nearby swinging around 90 pounders like it's nothing. You have a point though.

JzeroT1437 said:
I still feel embarrassed struggling with my tiny 25 lb weights when there are guys nearby swinging around 90 pounders like it's nothing. You have a point though.
There's an enormous difference between using light weight and looking dumb. If you only do curls and crap, people will notice and smirk. But if you're doing the right exercises [the ones we post about here] with light weight and proper form, the right people will notice and approve. The people who still smirk are the definition of meatheads, so fuck 'em.

JzeroT1437 said:
Just keep at it. Everyone started from some point and you're int here for a reason, so just get it done.

Honestly once you start getting used to working out in a gym and notice your progress you won't really care about the people around you much anymore. Trust me I felt the same way when I started a few months ago.

Actually if you can find someone who knows their stuff, you could work out with someone until you get comfortable being in the gym. That helped me a lot with motivationa nd encouragement.

suffah said:

A:
3x6 Incline Bench
3x6 Flat Bench
3x6 Squat

B:
3x5 Pull-Up
1x6 Deadlifts
3x6 Squat

Hmm, well, you don't have enough pulling movements. Routine A should be something more like Squat, Bench, and Power Cleans. Routine B should be Squats, Press, and Deadlifts. If you are doing Rippetoe's routine, that is. And it's 3x5 reps.

reilo

I feel a bit gassy and I am about to go to the gym, and I just downed some Muscle Milk.

Am I doomed?

reilo

So, after a week of basically just trying to learn the squat, I finally decided to add more weight... and holy shit. I felt it this time. The burn. That real, good burn after your last set and last rep. Took me a while to recover so I could do my other workouts :lol

Question...

I want to add 3 sets of 8 reps of standing calf raises and 3 sets of 10 reps of ab work.

Do you think it's too much when I already have squats and deadlifts [Wednesdays only] as part of my routine?

Reason I want to do calf work is because I want to increase my vertical.

JB1981

reilo said:
So, after a week of basically just trying to learn the squat, I finally decided to add more weight... and holy shit. I felt it this time. The burn. That real, good burn after your last set and last rep. Took me a while to recover so I could do my other workouts :lol

Question...

I want to add 3 sets of 8 reps of standing calf raises and 3 sets of 10 reps of ab work.

Do you think it's too much when I already have squats and deadlifts [Wednesdays only] as part of my routine?

don't see why it would. standing calf raises are essentially an isolation exercise. i'd totally add them if you're body is up to it (which it more than probably is)

but hey, i'm not expert just offering my opinion based on personal experience. can't see any way standing calf raises could negatively affect your current routine.

reilo

JB1981 said:
don't see why it would. standing calf raises are essentially an isolation exercise. i'd totally add them if you're body is up to it (which it more than probably is)

but hey, i'm not expert just offering my opinion based on personal experience. can't see any way standing calf raises could negatively affect your current routine.

They are going to be weighted, I forgot to mention that. Plus, doing squats and deadlifts exerts a lot of work on your legs overall. Although, standing calf raises work more vertically and simulate jumping more because I would be actually getting off my toes, whereas in deadlift and squats I would be flat footed the entire time.

DarthWufei said:
Just keep at it. Everyone started from some point and you're int here for a reason, so just get it done.

Honestly once you start getting used to working out in a gym and notice your progress you won't really care about the people around you much anymore. Trust me I felt the same way when I started a few months ago.

Actually if you can find someone who knows their stuff, you could work out with someone until you get comfortable being in the gym. That helped me a lot with motivationa nd encouragement.

That's good to hear, actually. I hurt my knee on the elliptical yesterday--didn't notice while I was there. Accidentally rammed my knee into the stand.

Being really tall kind of sucks when some of the machines are built for people of average height. My knee hurts like crazy today.

reilo said:

Question...

That should be fine. Whenever I add any isolation moves in at the end of my routine, I superset them (skull crushers and biceps curls; I put calf raises in somewhere else in my workout, between sets, as well).

Calf work won't really increase your vertical. It will help, but squats, power cleans, and olympic lifts will do a LOT more to increase it. You need to work on your explosiveness to get a good vertical.

Mr. Snrub said:
Day 1:
Squats: 5x5
Barbell Step-Ups: 5x5
Bench Press: 5x5
Bent Rows: 5x5
Shoulder Press: 3x8
Pull-Ups: 3x8

Day 2:
Deadlifts: 3x5
Romanian deadlifts: 3x8
Incline Press: 5x5
Power Cleans: 5x3
Shoulder Press: 3x8
Chin-Ups: 3x8

If you have time, you can do some ab/arm work at the END of the workout.

Thank you so much Sir! are the 5x5 sets across or should I ramp up the weights for each set ?

I think I found out about Rippeteos' strength training program from here. I have been getting great results using his guidelines for the last 4 months.

You know, if you're just starting out, ramp the weight up. 5x5 across with the same weight can get REAL intense; maybe use the ramping format for 6-8 weeks, then use weight across. That's my opinion.

JzeroT1437 said:
That's good to hear, actually. I hurt my knee on the elliptical yesterday--didn't notice while I was there. Accidentally rammed my knee into the stand.

Being really tall kind of sucks when some of the machines are built for people of average height. My knee hurts like crazy today.
Be sure to ice the knee.

reilo

Mr. Snrub said:
That should be fine. Whenever I add any isolation moves in at the end of my routine, I superset them (skull crushers and biceps curls; I put calf raises in somewhere else in my workout, between sets, as well).

Calf work won't really increase your vertical. It will help, but squats, power cleans, and olympic lifts will do a LOT more to increase it. You need to work on your explosiveness to get a good vertical.

Even if it adds just an inch of extra vert, it would be worth it.

reilo

Mr. Snrub said:
As long as you are already doing power cleans and squats, then I approve. :D

Not doing power cleans, just squats and deadlifts :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom