• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
reilo said:
Not doing power cleans, just squats and deadlifts :p

Well, the squats will help with your strength and that will help your vertical. But honestly, calf raises won't do shit for your vertical. You need an explosive movement to train, such as power cleans.

I'll have to find the study, but olympic weightlifters are EXTREMELY explosive--sprint times are great, they have crazy verticals, etc.

Chichikov

Mr. Snrub said:
Well, the squats will help with your strength and that will help your vertical. But honestly, calf raises won't do shit for your vertical. You need an explosive movement to train, such as power cleans.

I'll have to find the study, but olympic weightlifters are EXTREMELY explosive--sprint times are great, they have crazy verticals, etc.
I agree with you that cleans are great for vertical, but calf raises will do shit to for you.
I don't think it's necessarily the best exercise out there, but pure calf strength is very important for a vertical jump.

Another thing to remember is flexibility.
People tend to forget about it, but higher achilles flexibility will allow you to exert work through longer distance resulting in higher power (and higher vertical).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Chichikov said:
I agree with you that cleans are great for vertical, but calf raises will do shit to for you.
I don't think it's necessarily the best exercise out there, but pure calf strength is very important for a vertical jump.

Another thing to remember is flexibility.
People tend to forget about it, but higher achilles flexibility will allow you to exert work through longer distance resulting in higher power (and higher vertical).

By "will do shit for you", you mean it will do "good shit" as opposed to "bad shit", right

Jirotrom

Dice Man said:
What are you getting? I've been wanting one for a long time. I may get one in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-SPT-Details.html

I'm getting it for $850.00 shipped, the guy I'm ordering from is really nice, and is throwing in his clipless shoes, platforms and clipless pedals, $50 manitou pump for the front fork and a presta pump for the tires, water bottle mount, bag and tire levers. He barely rode the bike at all... here is a pic of it.

https://owa.uta.edu/Exchange/oaa503...-4a97-9AF2-036E93DDAFB3/830_3007.JPG?attach=1

JB1981

So i hit the gym today and used the workout you recommended, Glanton.

I dropped the weight down on my squats on focused on form (watched rippetoe's videos last night before going) and my squat felt a lot better. I'm glad I dropped the weight down too because things get a lot heavier when you truly go lower than parallel and maintain (or try to maintain lol) the right form. I actually was watching the guy squat next to me and I was thinking, "damn rippetoe wouldn't be happy with that ... he's not even doing a half squat" ... seemed kinda pointless to me.

I also did incline bench using the focus-on-the-dot on the ceiling method and it really helped me keep my arms in the right peck-pushing position. My incline bench is hella weak - could only put up 155lb for like .. 7.

I then did bent over barbell rows, which felt awesome and finished off my routine with pullups, chins and weighted dips. I can't wait to go to the gym on monday and continue on with this routine. I'm loving it so far.

Chichikov

reilo said:
By "will do shit for you", you mean it will do "good shit" as opposed to "bad shit", right
Right.
(I meant it as opposed to "won't do shit for you", came out awkward, remember kids, buzzed posting is drunk posting).
Captain Glanton said:
:lol

One of the mods on the Gaming side is now calling me a "pussy."

Sounds about right.
How much can you triceps kickback?
What's your curl on a bosu ball 1RM?

Yeah, didn't think so.

JB1981 said:

I dropped the weight down on my squats on focused on form (watched rippetoe's videos last night before going) and my squat felt a lot better. I'm glad I dropped the weight down too because things get a lot heavier when you truly go lower than parallel and maintain (or try to maintain lol) the right form. I actually was watching the guy squat next to me and I was thinking, "damn rippetoe wouldn't be happy with that ... he's not even doing a half squat" ... seemed kinda pointless to me.

I also did incline bench using the focus-on-the-dot on the ceiling method and it really helped me keep my arms in the right peck-pushing position. My incline bench is hella weak - could only put up 155lb for like .. 7.

I then did bent over barbell rows, which felt awesome and finished off my routine with pullups, chins and weighted dips. I can't wait to go to the gym on monday and continue on with this routine. I'm loving it so far.
Awesome.
Dropping weight can be a necessity, don't let your vanity get in the way.
It's very important to stay vigilant on your form, I've been lifting for 10 years, and I still sometimes revert to what I call "low weight workshops mode" to fix some problems.

Just got back from the Y. Decided to check out their pool for the first time--doing laps is rough. I did ten back and forth at the end of my cardio workout (which was 2 hours) and it just about killed me.

I'm glad I joined up before I took any physical SCUBA classes. I probably would've drowned.

JB1981

JzeroT1437 said:
Just got back from the Y. Decided to check out their pool for the first time--doing laps is rough. I did ten back and forth at the end of my cardio workout (which was 2 hours) and it just about killed me.

I'm glad I joined up before I took any physical SCUBA classes. I probably would've drowned.
my sister-in-law swam in college and she was teaching me how to swim properly over the weekend at our pool complex .... swimming is AWESOME. You just breathe and breathe and breathe and your chest burns. I am definitely going to swim on my days off from the gym ... it actually works your chest really good too.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Captain Glanton said:

One of the mods on the Gaming side is now calling me a "pussy."

Is this one of those situations where he shows up at your workplace callin' you out and you slowly emerge from behind a small mysteriously smoky cubicle inexplicably covered in baby oil?

JB1981 said:

Good stuff. If you get caught up with most people's squat form, you'll go crazy, so you have to just focus on your own.

The trick for pressing is to be able to contract your shoulder blades, bringing your shoulders back, and to keep your elbows "in tight" as you lower the bar. You don't really want your elbows at right angles to the bar or to be right under it; that's how pec tears happen. It's easy to demonstrate but tough to explain.

beelzebozo said:
what's his level? you better build up some xp before you step to him like that dude.
Mods can be internet tough guys, too. Who knew?

In all seriousness, this thread will probably be the only thing on GAF I look at for a while. If I wasn't doing this, I most likely would log off for good.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it's one of the more purpose-driven threads on the forum, and it's one i read every day. on top of that, for the most part, the people posting here are looking to help each other--which, again, is so rare when relative anonynimity is a factor. i can safely say though that i'm healthier and my life is better thanks to some of you guys, and i appreciate that.

Mr.City said:
Amir0x was trolling Too Human [in the OT, no less*]. I, along with a few others, called him on the double standard--that mods encourage trolling some games, and ban trolls of others. So he called me a pussy.

Internet tough guy shit.

* To clarify, he then moved the thread from the OT to Gaming.

JB1981

so my knees ache again after doing squats today ... it's a dim ache, nothing terrible but it's back again after going away for two days. I think I'm going to buy glucosamine, but I never have achey joints. Is it normal to get aches like this if you are not used to doing squats?

WarLox

is there a chart someone.. with pictures.. that I can print out, that has good routine ?

Also.. cut carbs about 8 days ago.. lost 9 lbs.. gained 1 1/2 due to lifting :D

WarLox said:
is there a chart someone.. with pictures.. that I can print out, that has good routine ?

Also.. cut carbs about 8 days ago.. lost 9 lbs.. gained 1 1/2 due to lifting :D
Check the wiki page for Starting Strength, and you can also search t-nation.com for a lot of different routines. Nothing at either site will steer you wrong. But we need to know exactly what type of routine you are looking for to be more helpful.

NB1091 said:
so my knees ache again after doing squats today ... it's a dim ache, nothing terrible but it's back again after going away for two days. I think I'm going to buy glucosamine, but I never have achey joints. Is it normal to get aches like this if you are not used to doing squats?
If it feels like the pain is in the muscle, and it isn't too bad, you can probably lift on it. But if it's in the joint, don't push it.

I've been using the Couch to 5K program from www.coolrunning.com and it's been great. I never thought I would be running like I did 10 years ago. My question is do you think I will see better results running 5+ days a week instead of just running 4?

pollo

Banned
I'm letting unemployment get the best of me..

But i'll change that next week when I'm back up in Boston.

Nothing like spending some time with family to clear your mind...

Uncooked

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Amir0x was trolling Too Human [in the OT, no less*]. I, along with a few others, called him on the double standard--that mods encourage trolling some games, and ban trolls of others. So he called me a pussy.

Internet tough guy shit.

* To clarify, he then moved the thread from the OT to Gaming.

Real men know who is and isn't trolling.

Onemic

My friends have been going down on me for talking about HIIT, as they say that all it does is help you run faster, and nothing else. They say it's impossible for you to lose any weight with it, nor gain any sort of strength whatsoever. Is there any truth to this?

I've told them to simply search it up, but they are set in their ways about it being worthless to anything other than running.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
ok. i'm finally getting serious about this. saw some pics of myself from years ago and i'm like ashamed at how bad i look now. basically i need to set up a routine. you guys have any advice or tips? I work ~50 hrs a week and it changes days but usually it's 3 days of 12p-10p and 2 days of 8a-5p. my gym is open 24 hrs mon-fri.

just tips from you guys on how to get in a routine would help me a lot. 'preciate it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Slo said:
Glanton will cool down.

It's just the bullshark testicles getting to his head.

the-characters-of-grand-theft-auto-iv-20071214023446708-000.jpg

jacf29

Banned
Been about a month and a half. Here's my update:

START: 203 pounds

NOW: 191.5 pounds

It's strange. I am a lot lighter now but I still feel fat, and my stomach keeps changing shapes when I look in the mirror. Some days I look fat, and other days I look thinner.

Jirotrom

jacf29 said:
Been about a month and a half. Here's my update:

START: 203 pounds

NOW: 191.5 pounds

It's strange. I am a lot lighter now but I still feel fat, and my stomach keeps changing shapes when I look in the mirror. Some days I look fat, and other days I look thinner.
stop focusing on that shite... do you feel healthier? If so what you are doing is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom