• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you guys subscribe to the crossfit philosophy? Is it effective? I've been reading up on it. Looks different as I've always done pyramid style workouts.

biggkidd32 said:
Do any of you guys subscribe to the crossfit philosophy? Is it effective? I've been reading up on it. Looks different as I've always done pyramid style workouts.

Eh...I have mixed opinions of crossfit style workouts.

On one hand, metabolic conditioning/"overall" fitness is a great thing to have and a great way to train.

On the other hand, Crossfit is heavy on the Kool-Aid.

Troblin said:
Current Routine(more or less, my routine for the past 2-3 years) - :

Chest/Triceps:

DB Bench Press * 6
Shoulder Press *3
Overhead Tricep Extensions*4
Weighted Dips/Dips *4
Front Raise(or some variation) *3
Lateral Raise(or some variation) *3
Face Pulls *5
Abs *5

Back/Biceps:
Pullup/Weighted Pullups *4
BB Rows *3
Machine Row *3
BB Curl *5
Face Pulls *5
Abs*5

Legs/Shoulders:
Squats*5
SLDL*5
Calf Raises*4
Shoulder Press*4
Front Raise(or some variation) *3
Lateral Raise(or some variation) *3
BB Curls*5
Face Pulls *5
Abs *5

Any advice for routine variations/new exercises would be appreciated.

Are each of those separate days? For Abs, if you're just doing situps, you might want to look into trying things like leg raises. Personally, they've felt more effective to me than situps or crunches, but it can vary person to person.

Also, doing the same routine for 2-3 years is a long time. If you're still progressing, then I'd say stick with what you're doing, but if you're in a rut, try switching out the DB Bench Press with a barbell. You'd be surprised the difference it can make. In fact, trying to alternate every few weeks between BB and DB exercises can be helpful, and make a routine a bit more interesting. Just a thought.

GHG

Whats the general consensus on Soy protein powder around here? Good or bad? I've read so many contradicting articles on the stuff so was just wondering what people on here thought?

Struct09

GHG said:
Whats the general consensus on Soy protein powder around here? Good or bad? I've read so many contradicting articles on the stuff so was just wondering what people on here thought?

Pretty much pointless unless you're a hardcore vegan and don't get enough protein otherwise. The main benefits of whey are how quickly it's absorbed and how highly available it is for the body to use. Soy protein lacks these qualities, and there's even been some reported side effects of soy usage (to be fair, I don't think any adverse effects have been 100% proven).

If you're staying away from dairy proteins, I would go for egg protein.

GHG

Struct09 said:
Pretty much pointless unless you're a hardcore vegan and don't get enough protein otherwise. The main benefits of whey are how quickly it's absorbed and how highly available it is for the body to use. Soy protein lacks these qualities, and there's even been some reported side effects of soy usage (to be fair, I don't think any adverse effects have been 100% proven).

If you're staying away from dairy proteins, I would go for egg protein.

I'm not staying away from dairy at all, just that I've been given a tub of soy protein for free... I've never taken any supplements up till now and I'm apprehensive about the whole thing, especially considering its Soy. I usually just drink loads of milk and a fair few eggs to keep my protein intake high enough without having to resort to the powder. I might just give it a go for about a week and see what how my body reacts...

JB1981

So I've had rather chronic achey knees/shins since I've started squatting. I read that doing a high bar squat is not good because it requires sharper angles, resulting in more acute strain on the knee. This comes as a huge disappointment. Before I stop doing them altogether, I wanted to get some of your opinions, Snub. First, I am using sneakers, which according to Rippetoe ain't good because of all the squish. I currently don't have 'lifting shoes' so do you recommend I do my squats flat-footed? I want to do squats tonight and I was seriously considering doing them with my sneakers off.

Second, do you think my sneakers could be playing a factor and are keeping me from staying on my heels? I am going to focus on low-bar squatting and pay attention to my form and see what the result is. I'm not ready to give up on them yet (I love them too much and the challenge has really motivated me). Are there some people that just aren't built to squat or something or is my form really that bad? I really don't think it's that bad because I have gone to great pains to correct my form and read up on the proper techniques. I can definitely use some work but I am trying my best .... fuck .. I have NEVER had knee pain in my life. If I have to stop doing squats I will be so PISSED .

- i also noticed that when I get real low, my ass kind of rounds off at the bottom and I hate that! it's like this little ass curl when I get way deep and it looks horrible

Slo

I'm not Snub but....

Try lowering the bar on your back or doing front squats. A good way to keep the bar low is to spread your arms quite widely. I'd also say that if your heels are coming off the ground, it may be a flexibility issue.

If your gym doesn't complain, go ahead and squat barefooted.

Troblin

JB1981 said:
So I've had rather chronic achey knees/shins since I've started squatting. I read that doing a high bar squat is not good because it requires sharper angles, resulting in more acute strain on the knee. This comes as a huge disappointment. Before I stop doing them altogether, I wanted to get some of your opinions, Snub. First, I am using sneakers, which according to Rippetoe ain't good because of all the squish. I currently don't have 'lifting shoes' so do you recommend I do my squats flat-footed? I want to do squats tonight and I was seriously considering doing them with my sneakers off.

Second, do you think my sneakers could be playing a factor and are keeping me from staying on my heels? I am going to focus on low-bar squatting and pay attention to my form and see what the result is. I'm not ready to give up on them yet (I love them too much and the challenge has really motivated me). Are there some people that just aren't built to squat or something or is my form really that bad? I really don't think it's that bad because I have gone to great pains to correct my form and read up on the proper techniques. I can definitely use some work but I am trying my best .... fuck .. I have NEVER had knee pain in my life. If I have to stop doing squats I will be so PISSED .

- i also noticed that when I get real low, my ass kind of rounds off at the bottom and I hate that! it's like this little ass curl when I get way deep and it looks horrible

Two Words: Fish Oil.

Chichikov

Dirtbag 504 said:
I don't have the technical terminology on alot of the things I do, so please bear with me.

I do 3 sets of dumbell curls (15 each) - standing up straight.

I then start the workouts with the tension ropes (the ones you stand on and pull up and over your head). There are about 3 different excercises I do here, kind of hard to explain them on the net, but I switch up between the 3 and work on this for about 15 minutes.

I do about 10-12 hand-stand push-ups (against the wall) next and at the end of my workouts, very slowly emphasis on muscle control.

I do about 30-40 slow crunches, really focus on the abs.

Then stretch out my legs straight while laying flat on my back - legs slightly spread, and do a crunch with reaching down (hands out-streched) and push forward between my legs - then come back down to rest. Then I crunch up to my left, and then right while in this same position. I just keep alternating between the three spots and do this about 25 times. Usually abs are burning good by this time.

Then I stretch out one leg and keep it above the ground and bend the other (like normal crunch position) and do about 15 more crunches (if I can handle it at this point).. and repeat on the other side same number. I try and rotate up a little bit to work the obliques as much as I can.

Then I just lay straight on my back (rest a minute - enjoy the burning) and eventually lift my legs about 6 inches off the ground and hold it as long as I can, when I can't hold it anymore I push them straight up in the air and rest them there and bring them back down slowly a few times.

By now I'm a big sweaty mess, so I go running.
Sprint - walk - Sprint - walk. I was always told this was a better way to run because your heart rate does half the work. So I do that around my neighborhood.

After that I rest for a few minutes, then do those handstand push-ups again I was talking about, and sometimes if I'm feeling particularly masochistic I do a few more crunches, but usually not.

That's about it.
First of all, your strength routine is missing the biggest body parts - legs and back.
What equipment do you have access to?

As for your running, interval training should be done in very high intensity, so I would recommend on breaking it from your strength exercises, how many intervals do you do?

Dirtbag

Chichikov said:
First of all, your strength routine is missing the biggest body parts - legs and back.
What equipment do you have access to?

As for your running, interval training should be done in very high intensity, so I would recommend on breaking it from your strength exercises, how many intervals do you do?

Hard to say, but I'm usually totally beat by the end of it. I'd say I do it for about a mile and a half around my neighborhood. It's easily the most exhausting part of my exercising.

I have no equipment access, so it's looking more and more like I'm going to join a gym soon. I'm in Los Angeles (west LA) so there are tons to choose from.

Also, I'd say my legs are in pretty solid shape, I use to play soccer then into kickboxing for a few years so my thighs still have some nice definition even without targeting them (yet!).

Finally went back to the gym yesterday after almost a month-long hiatus... wow I'm sore today, didn't feel this in a long time!

Say, what are the best exercises for upper-back muscles?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Naked Snake said:
Finally went back to the gym yesterday after almost a month-long hiatus... wow I'm sore today, didn't feel this in a long time!

Pull-ups/chin-ups, shoulder presses.

Chichikov

JB1981 said:

I wouldn't dream of diagnosing a person through the internet, if it's serious pain go see a doctor.
That being said, the fact that you're experiencing shin pain means that you might suffer from a form of a shin split which is in many cases an indicator of you rolling your feet sideways.
Try to pay extra close attention to your feet lateral balance.
As for lifting shoes, yeah, they help, quite a lot, I would strongly recommend them, just don't expect them to do miracles, this ain't a Nike commercial ;).

JB1981 said:
It's called a butt wink and it's usually due to hamstring flexibility problems.
It's not the worst thing in the world, the way to fix it is to stretch your hamstring and clenching your ass.
Mind you that some very strong people can't seem to completely get rid of it, so don't feel too bad.

Dirtbag 504 said:
Hard to say, but I'm usually totally beat by the end of it. I'd say I do it for about a mile and a half around my neighborhood. It's easily the most exhausting part of my exercising.
How can that be hard thing to say?
Count how many intervals you're doing and time them.
If you don't have good idea what you're doing you're going to have hard time planning and measuring progress.

APF

JB1981: could be a couple of things; without seeing you, and assuming your form is otherwise ok, I'd say flexibility is your problem--although it could also be general instability around the knee as well. Where are you not flexible enough? Hard to say again, but it could be calves, hamstrings, IT band, hips... Try doing progressive-depth squats (where you start at a half squat and keep the weight the same every session but increase the depth), or one-and-a-quarter squats (where a full negative, rise 1/4 of the way, go back to depth, do a complete positive == one rep); add in some one-legged squats / step-ups / lunges / etc if you think part of the problem might be instability, &/or some Romanian DLs, donkey calf raises (done with a 3 sec pause at the bottom), maybe overhead squats and overall flexibility work for the muscle groups I mention above, if you think flexibility might be more your problem. Strengthening your core might help a great deal as well. Again, hard to tell what your specific weakness / solution might be, w/o seeing you in person.

Dirtbag

Chichikov said:
How can that be hard thing to say?
Count how many intervals you're doing and time them.
If you don't have good idea what you're doing you're going to have hard time planning and measuring progress.

Jesus you guys are cranky. It's hard to say because I haven't actively measured it, and I go a little further every day. I basically push myself to exhaustion and go just a bit more.

I'll pay more attention next time. I'm not very meticulous in anything I do, add in difficulty in catching my breath, and some exhaustion and I'm basically running on instinct by that point.

I usually feel great after 15 minutes of cooling down.

Chichikov

Naked Snake said:
Pull-ups and bent over rows.

reilo - shoulder presses don't really work the upper back.

Dirtbag 504 said:
Jesus you guys are cranky. It's hard to say because I haven't actively measured it, and I go a little further every day. I basically push myself to exhaustion and go just a bit more.

I'll pay more attention next time. I'm not very meticulous in anything I do, add in difficulty in catching my breath, and some exhaustion and I'm basically running on instinct by that point.

I usually feel great after 15 minutes of cooling down.
Didn't mean to attack you or anything, it's just very important to keep track of what you're doing.

reilo

Chichikov said:
Pull-ups and bent over rows.

reilo - shoulder presses don't really work the upper back.

They don't? I figure they would do some work considering there is some good focus on the scapula.

Slo

I've strained rhomboids while doing over head presses before, so they are at least involved as an stabilizer, but yeah they aren't really getting much of a workout that way.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
reilo said:
They don't? I figure they would do some work considering there is some good focus on the scapula.

Behind the neck press hits the traps.

I've never even done a pullup in my life.

Deadlifts
Shrugs
Rows

Chichikov

reilo said:
I guess it depends on what you're calling back.
When most people say 'back' they mean the latissimus dorsi which does not get worked in shoulder presses.
The trapezius does get secondary work in it though.

Slo -
You sure it was the rhomboids and not the traperzius?

Slo

Chichikov said:
Slo -
You sure it was the rhomboids and not the traperzius?

No, that's just what me chiropractor told me as she was trying to un-pretzelize me. But what does that bitch know?

Chichikov

Slo said:
No, that's just what me chiropractor told me as she was trying to un-pretzelize me. But what does that bitch know?
They are fucking witch doctors!
Seriously though, to pull it you need to have something really weird with your form, like have the bar way behind your head.

Slo

Chichikov said:
They are fucking witch doctors!
Seriously though, to pull it you need to have something really weird with your form, like have the bar way behind your head.

Possibly, but they were dumbell presses, and I never do behind the neck presses. It may well have been a trap.

JB1981

APF said:
JB1981: could be a couple of things; without seeing you, and assuming your form is otherwise ok, I'd say flexibility is your problem--although it could also be general instability around the knee as well. Where are you not flexible enough? Hard to say again, but it could be calves, hamstrings, IT band, hips... Try doing progressive-depth squats (where you start at a half squat and keep the weight the same every session but increase the depth), or one-and-a-quarter squats (where a full negative, rise 1/4 of the way, go back to depth, do a complete positive == one rep); add in some one-legged squats / step-ups / lunges / etc if you think part of the problem might be instability, &/or some Romanian DLs, donkey calf raises (done with a 3 sec pause at the bottom), maybe overhead squats and overall flexibility work for the muscle groups I mention above, if you think flexibility might be more your problem. Strengthening your core might help a great deal as well. Again, hard to tell what your specific weakness / solution might be, w/o seeing you in person.

Thanks to both you and Chickov for the responses

- i have always had incredibly bad hamstring flexibility and i think this might be the main culprit. even back in high school when i played school b-ball i had to work one-one-one with a trainer every day just to stretch my hams - they were really bad. I inherited the trait from my father who was - and still is - terribly inflexible. As far as stretching goes, do you guys recommend that i stretch for a good length before squatting? as far as stability goes, i would say i'm just ok ...

have worked walking lunges into my routine and i seem ok with them, it just feel like when i get deep into the squat that things start falling apart a bit. i don't feel comfortable driving up with my ass and to offset that, i think i want to shift the weight to the front of my body and i think that's why i'm getting the knee pain. i also think that i might be overthinking some of this and am psyching myself out a bit.

on a more positive note, my weighted pullups and dips have improved.

I did 2 sets of 45lb weight pullups today for about 5-6 reps each and i pushed out 25 dips w/ 45lbs and 15 dips w/ 50lb dumbell. I also added a little farmer's walk into the routine.

My military press needs a lot of improvement, though. I need to learn to get in under the weight better and tighten up my core/increase overall stability.

JB1981 said:

As you said, high bar squats do result in more of a knee angle and the hamstring does not aid in supporting the knee, as there is an absence of hip drive. They are NOT bad--if you can do them, do them. But just be aware of your body.

Definitely get some flat footed shoes. I lift in Chuck Taylors. Once I have the money, gonna invest in some squat or weightlifting shoes.

No, I don't believe that ANYONE has a body that is "unable" to squat. It's all the result of flexibility and practice, most of the time. Is there any way you could video tape yourself so we can see? As was suggested, try widening your grip with low bar squats. If your grip is too narrow, it can be bad. You DO want your grip to be narrow as it creates a shelf of muscle for the bar to rest on, but if you are too tight/unable to, your shoulders and chest muscles will "push" the bar forward and your weight will go onto your toes and knees...and thus, hurt them.

"Butt wink" is not bad as long as its not the result of a slackening of your hamstrings/lack of core tightness. The only way to fix that is to stretch your hips and hamstrings. Butt wink is NOT the devil--it is usually something that cures naturally with time and squatting, along with proper stretching.

Troblin

Soka said:
Are each of those separate days? For Abs, if you're just doing situps, you might want to look into trying things like leg raises. Personally, they've felt more effective to me than situps or crunches, but it can vary person to person.

Also, doing the same routine for 2-3 years is a long time. If you're still progressing, then I'd say stick with what you're doing, but if you're in a rut, try switching out the DB Bench Press with a barbell. You'd be surprised the difference it can make. In fact, trying to alternate every few weeks between BB and DB exercises can be helpful, and make a routine a bit more interesting. Just a thought.

Ya, separate days.. T/F/S split. I try to hit one body part a week. Thanks for the recommendation on abs. I usually do a couple sets on machine crunches, but i may switch it up with some leg raises.

In regards to DB vs. BB. Ya, I used to alternate between the two w/ great result. However, as I posted earlier, I tore/severely sprained my rotator cuff ~ 2 year ago. BB bench is all but impossible. (same w/ military press, upright rows... basically any exercise that places an inordinate amount of strain on my shoulders.)

Naked Snake said:

Deadlifts, power shrugs, and rows are the best for upper back muscles. Your traps aid in stabilizing the bar during a military press, so those could be considered, as well. My traps always get a "pump" after presses.

JB1981

thank you, snrub.

i will watch my grip next time ... my grip was fairly close-in tonight .... i also feel like i have trouble keeping the bar low against my back - it puts strain on my wrists to keep the weight stable.

also: do you guys recommend icing the knees at all? i hear 20 minutes at a time is ok

Troblin

JB1981 said:
I take fish oil daily. It hasn't done shit for me, unfortunately.

Really? Wow.. my knees use to creak all the time when squat before taking it. The joint lubrication effects of fish oil are amazing.

Hmn... advice would be to drop the weight and correct your form.(If you haven't already done so).

Keep pressure in the heel of your foot
Don't lean forward.
Parallel or below if possible.
Don't arch your back.
Look at the celling when exploding up.
Legs parallel.
et. al.

JB1981

Troblin said:
Really? Wow.. my knees use to creak all the time when squat before taking it. The joint lubrication effects of fish oil are amazing.

Hmn... advice would be to drop the weight and correct your form.(If you haven't already done so).

Keep pressure in the heel of your foot
Don't lean forward.
Parallel or below if possible.
Don't arch your back.
Look at the celling when exploding up.
Legs parallel.
et. al.

interesting.. i believe rippetoe recommends you keep your head down so as to keep the back in the right anatomical position

- he also recommends keeping a wider stance so you can shove your knees out (keeping knees aligned with the feet of course)

APF

JB1981 said:
As far as stretching goes, do you guys recommend that i stretch for a good length before squatting?
The problem with stretching before (at least, static stretching) is, it'll weaken your hamstrings on your squat sets. If you're serious about squatting, I'd suggest doing a lot of low-intensity explosive / skill / form work with the squat itself, plus strength-flexibility exercises like I suggested in the above post, along with supplemental / assistance exercises that are higher-intensity but don't have the same flexibility requirements (I'm blanking on some good choices, but this could be deadlifts, trap-bar DLs, half-squats or even leg presses or something like that). At the very least you could increase your warmup sets (but keep rep counts pretty low), increase rest times, and stay far away from failure / exhaustion until you feel it's not as big a problem.

soultron

Banned
Anyone ride bikes in here? I just got a fixed gear tonight and am looking to build a biking routine that will increase my stamina and general fitness. (Sorry, strength trainers and lifters.)

I'm thinking about getting up super early before work, say around 5 AM to ride for approx. 1 hour. I find I'm usually too beat after work to ride, so I only ride 2 - 3 times a week, where I'd prefer to ride daily.

Any tips on fixed gear/track bike training?

JB1981

APF said:
The problem with stretching before (at least, static stretching) is, it'll weaken your hamstrings on your squat sets. If you're serious about squatting, I'd suggest doing a lot of low-intensity explosive / skill / form work with the squat itself, plus strength-flexibility exercises like I suggested in the above post, along with supplemental / assistance exercises that are higher-intensity but don't have the same flexibility requirements (I'm blanking on some good choices, but this could be deadlifts, trap-bar DLs, half-squats or even leg presses or something like that). At the very least you could increase your warmup sets (but keep rep counts pretty low), increase rest times, and stay far away from failure / exhaustion until you feel it's not as big a problem.

the funny thing is the knees don't bother me much while i'm working out ... they start to bother me the next day and the day after that ... if i stay away from the squats for a few days, the aching goes away ... until i do the next day of squats and it comes right back.

i deadlift on wednesdays (just started) so hopefully they will strengthen the hams.

nyong

Banned
Ok, so this might be more advice than anyone is willing to give. I have the summer off at this point and I'm not getting a job or taking classes. In otherwords, I have all day, every day, to devote to exercising. I want to get in the best shape possible in the next 4 weeks.

I'm not fat, although have an extra 10 pounds I shouldn't have. I can go out and run 5 miles no problem. I haven't lifted weights in a long time so I would need to ease into this. I do have a gym membership through the University (University of Oregon), so I have access to nice facilities plus a pool. I also have a bicycle and can hike up several buttes nearby.

I want a basic exercise plan that involves weights, running, walking, biking, and hiking (etc) that would allow me to lose the last 10 pounds, all while getting freaking ripped in the next 4 weeks.

Something like: walk 10 miles this day and do x sets of y exercise, etc, etc, etc. I have no problem doing moderate exercise for 5 hours straight. I'm bored off my ass anyhow. Oh...and I have Wiifit (heh).

soultron said:
Any tips on fixed gear/track bike training?

I'm a cyclist (including fixed), but not too serious. Tips for track biking are pretty much the same as tips for road biking (unless you're up to the level where you're competing etc.)

Most biking is steady state effort, so it's mostly aerobic exercise, as opposed to anaerobic. So your cardio fitness is key.

Another thing is that biking doesn't really require much technique. Even people who don't have very good hand-eye coordination can bike. You just gotta keep those pedals moving.

I found that squats and other leg work in the gym helps a lot with climbing hills (not really for endurance). A friend of mine does explosive squats at half bodyweight, up to 20. Try that to get those legs in shape!

Then pick a stretch of road that you like. Time how long it takes to go from start to finish, and try to improve your time!

Also keep an eye on cadence. I've heard it said that high cadences in the 90-100 range are optimal. Some bike computers have cadence meters, those might come in handy. (Of course, on a fixed gear you don't have much control over cadence.)

JavyOO7

I've been oing to the gym on a good basis since june. I'm somewhat freaking out though. I'm not sure how I can explain without a visual but I will try.

When I'm lifting weights, bench presses for example, I feel my left shoulder getting more pressure than my right shoulder. Same goes for bicep curls and etc. What should I do about this? I know for sure the long term effects won't be nice. =/

:(

nyong said:
Ok, so this might be more advice than anyone is willing to give. I have the summer off at this point and I'm not getting a job or taking classes. In otherwords, I have all day, every day, to devote to exercising. I want to get in the best shape possible in the next 4 weeks.

I'm not fat, although have an extra 10 pounds I shouldn't have. I can go out and run 5 miles no problem. I haven't lifted weights in a long time so I would need to ease into this. I do have a gym membership through the University (University of Oregon), so I have access to nice facilities plus a pool. I also have a bicycle and can hike up several buttes nearby.

I want a basic exercise plan that involves weights, running, walking, biking, and hiking (etc) that would allow me to lose the last 10 pounds, all while getting freaking ripped in the next 4 weeks.

Something like: walk 10 miles this day and do x sets of y exercise, etc, etc, etc. I have no problem doing moderate exercise for 5 hours straight. I'm bored off my ass anyhow. Oh...and I have Wiifit (heh).

It will be hard to become "ripped" in a mere 4 weeks, but losing some weight, maybe even all 10 pounds, isn't impossible. Depends on your motivation. You seem to want to gain muscle mass while losing body fat, so as far as cardio is concerned, HIIT would seem like your best method.

Here we go!

Day 1 - Weight Lifting
3x5 Squat
5x5 or 3x8 Dip/Weighted Dip
3x8 Leg Raises
5x5 Bench Press

Add in 3x8 (with each arm) DB Curls, 3x8 DB Shrugs, 3x8 (each leg) DB or BB Lunges, and 3x8 (each arm) DB Bent-over Rows and you'll feel pretty fucking awesome by the end of the routine. Choose one to two of these to work into your routine as you see fit.

Day 2 - Rest

Day 3 - HIIT (Sprints)
Do a 30-45 second full speed sprint. Walk for 30-45 seconds. Sprint 30-45. Walk 30-45. Repeat for 10 minutes or until you pass out. If you're able to do this for 15 minutes or more, you aren't running fast enough during the sprinting portions.

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Weight Lifting
5x5 or 3x8 Dip/Weighted Dip
3x8 Leg Raises
3x5 Deadlift
5x5 Bench Press

Add in 3x8 (with each arm) DB Curls, 3x8 DB Shrugs, 3x8 (each leg) DB or BB Lunges, and 3x8 (each arm) DB Bent-over Rows and you'll feel pretty fucking awesome by the end of the routine. Choose one to two of these to add into your routine as you see fit.

Day 6- Rest

Day 7 - HIIT (Swimming)
Do a 30-45 second full speed swim, breast stroke or whatever is your personal preference. Paddle lightly 30-45 seconds. Full speed 30-45. Paddle 30-45. Repeat for 10 minutes or until you drown. If you're able to do this for 15 minutes or more, you aren't swimming fast enough during the full speed portions.

Day 8 - Rest

Day 9+ repeat routine.

If you still feel good through all this, on the days you're doing HIIT, if you do them earlier in the day, you might be able to do some light biking, jogging, or swimming in the same day's later hours. Or, if you're not a fan of HIIT, drop it altogether for slower paced, longer time spent variations of the running/swimming routine.

Another important factor is diet. I have no idea what you eat or drink right now, but cut out excess garbage such as soda, sugared juices, candies, most desserts, etc. Get some good protein in after every weight lifting session (whey protein if you have it/can buy it, but anything is better than nothing, skim milk being an awesome source with relatively low sugar and fat). Fish, lean chicken, tuna, vegetables, and fruits can be awesome too. Drink plenty of water also, but that's a given. If anything is unclear, or you want a different recommendation for a certain part, feel free to ask. Just trying to give you some basic advice.

Originally, was suggesting to do deadlift and squat on the same day, for both days of lifting. Read a few posts further in the thread and you'll see the process of me being convinced out of that idea, and rightfully so. Start with the general setup I have there, and if you feel good a week or two into it, don't be afraid to try deadlift and squats on the same day. It's good to push yourself as you get more experience, but listen to your body enough to stop before you strain something, that will not be productive in your achieving your goals. :D

The sets/reps I chose are what seem pretty common around these parts, and are all what I do for the most part, but you might find them less appropriate for yourself. The general idea is, don't do less than 3 sets, and aim for around 25 total reps. Just a rule of thumb.

Also, use WiiFit to your heart's content. The flexibility/yoga stuff is awesome.

Troblin said:
Ya, separate days.. T/F/S split. I try to hit one body part a week. Thanks for the recommendation on abs. I usually do a couple sets on machine crunches, but i may switch it up with some leg raises.

In regards to DB vs. BB. Ya, I used to alternate between the two w/ great result. However, as I posted earlier, I tore/severely sprained my rotator cuff ~ 2 year ago. BB bench is all but impossible. (same w/ military press, upright rows... basically any exercise that places an inordinate amount of strain on my shoulders.)

Slow, controlled leg raises are a total bitch. It'll be a different feeling from a machine crunch, that's for sure! Didn't see that you'd had an injury to your rotator cuff, which is unfortunate and probably didn't feel so great. Like I said, if you're on year 2-3 of your routine, you probably have about as much knowledge as to what works for you as anyone could possibly hope. As before, though, could try changing things up drastically (such as doing some full-body days instead of split-days). Could end up liking them or see greater results, really up to you though.

so i've been going to the gym for a month now and i'm not seeing much results but i'm noticing that my arms are bigger

anyways, those of you who take protein, what is the best brand?

edit: also, what are some foods that contain carbs and all those things for better muscle gain? I haven't been eating healthy lately but i want to change that.

reilo

Soka said:
Day 1 - Weight Lifting
3x5 Squat
3x5 Deadlift

Little much, no? If you are already squatting for 3 sets of 5, then why do the deadlift that many times?

reilo said:
Little much, no? If you are already squatting for 3 sets of 5, then why do the deadlift that many times?

They're both very taxing on an individual, but as far as muscle groups are concerned, squats is heavy on leg usage, and deadlifts are heavy on back usage with a bit of a lift from the legs. It's not impossible to do both in a single routine, and though it might not be for everyone, with a 4 week deadline, I was thinking of a crash course routine to do as much as possible in that time with a reasonable amount of rest between days of lifting and running.

Would you suggest squats and deadlifts for separate days?

Chichikov

Soka said:
For a beginner, yes, assuming of course he can fit it into his schedule.
Tired/sore legs can cause form problems in the deadlift.

salva said:
Is is true that weightlifting gives you more appetite?

Yes. It burns calories and heightens your metabolism. Running, swimming, anything that gets you active will cause you to increase your appetite some, but weightlifting is a very awesome way to do so. I forget the exact number, but after a heavy weightlifting session, your metabolism is more active for a good 16-20 hours I think? Something like that.

Chichikov said:
For a beginner, yes, assuming of course he can fit it into his schedule.
Tired/sore legs can cause form problems in the deadlift.

That's a strong enough point, I didn't take the time to ask nyong if he had experience with lifting at all.

reilo

Soka said:
They're both very taxing on an individual, but as far as muscle groups are concerned, squats is heavy on leg usage, and deadlifts are heavy on back usage with a bit of a lift from the legs. It's not impossible to do both in a single routine, and though it might not be for everyone, with a 4 week deadline, I was thinking of a crash course routine to do as much as possible in that time with a reasonable amount of rest between days of lifting and running.

His recovery time in the first week is going to be LONG. Especially when that routine has him doing HIIT. He can lose those 10lbs within 4 weeks, but that first week should be treated as a "get your muscles adjusted to working out and get your form right so you don't hurt yourself" routine.

Soka said:
Yes. It burns calories and heightens your metabolism. Running, swimming, anything that gets you active will cause you to increase your appetite some, but weightlifting is a very awesome way to do so. I forget the exact number, but after a heavy weightlifting session, your metabolism is more active for a good 16-20 hours I think? Something like that.

That's a strong enough point, I didn't take the time to ask nyong if he had experience with lifting at all.

Chichikov said:
Generally yes (and it sure as hell gives one to me).
Especially the big movements.

Oh, no wonder i've been so hungry these days.

reilo

Chichikov said:
Generally yes (and it sure as hell gives one to me).
Especially the big movements.

I can attest to that...

First 6 months of the year weight gain by just eating and "okay" exercise:

13-15lbs

Since starting to lift heavy with a barbell routine over 3 weeks ago:

5-7lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom