• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
bonesmccoy said:
Is it time for Everton fans to be concerned? The team can't win in England and are complete disarray over the Lescott transfer. And here I was, thinking that Everton had gone beyond the good season/bad season/good season/bad season pattern for good. Can we start calling them Evercastle yet? Eversborough?

Way too early to be making season predictions yet, the magical 10 game marker usually is the best indication.

But in terms of leadership, it is very hard to see Everton in the relegation mini league under Moyes. Whilst their squad is clearly pale in comparison to previous seasons, it's by no means a squad that should be scrapping in the lower ends of the division. You could make some comparisons to Newcastle in that manor, but the Everton infrastructure looks a hell of a lot more solid than the glass house at St. James Park and probably is a better manager than Southgate will ever be.

I expect a fairly unspectacular, inconsequential season. Although a point could be made about the futility of predicting anything in the Premiership with only 3 or so games gone.

On a tangent, as a Palace fan I feel obliged to whine and moan about the Bristol City game, but I think Warnock's just about got me covered there.

I know, I just enjoy rubbing salt into whichever team's fans are most likely to react. Unfortunately the Evertonians all seem to have left this thread!

I think Everton have a pretty strong squad even without Lescott, but I'm worried that the team itself has merely aged, where all of it's competitors (Aston Villa, Tottenham and Man City) have spent the off season improving.

Re Palace: I saw that goal. I can't believe the ref and the assistant missed it. It's borderline criminal, tbh. Warnock has to be cursed.

While I concede that Warnock does bang on probably too much for his own good, I think he has a very valid point about goal-line technology. It's ridiculous how FIFA refuses to embrace it, despite it's effectiveness in other sports, notably tennis and rugby. I really do fail to see any convincing argument against it's implication, beyond FIFA being conservative goons. Maybe there's something to do with their explicit dislike of the English game, but you would think that wouldn't be a factor in such a bureaucratic organisation.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Talon- said:
Sweet. Liverpool - Aston Villa is on ESPN2. Nice surprise in the afternoon.
Yeah, it's great that ESPN got the PL deal since it means more games on ESPN360.com too.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
R-volution said:
Didn't see the game on 360.
D'oh - you're right. I have no idea why it's not on. Last year's CL games on ESPN were simulcasted on ESPN360.com :(

good thing i called in a sick day today :)

R-volution

Neo Member
scorcho said:
D'oh - you're right. I have no idea why it's not on. Last year's CL games on ESPN were simulcasted on ESPN360.com :(

good thing i called in a sick day today :)
For next time you're at work ;)

http://veetle.com/viewChannel.php?cid=4a6f518d7dfac

We really have to hold on this second half, cause you know Liverpool is coming with everything in the second half. Hopefully this will open them up in the back for us to finish them off.

Unfortunate own goal, but hurry up Aquilani so we can stop playing Lucas
Fair second goal, zonal marking for the fail
Stupid penalty

And Benayoun >>>> Babel. It wasn't until that substitution I felt like it was over. People are saying Babel has to prove himself this season, but fuck that, hasn't he shown us he's fucking useless already?

_46263088_gerrard282.jpg

Beautiful.

Sol Campbell moves to Notts County, teh fuck?

BBC Sport said:
Notts County have confirmed the signing of 34-year-old former England defender Sol Campbell on a five-year contract.

Campbell was a free agent after leaving Portsmouth and has joined the League Two outfit, who were taken over this summer, in a purely playing capacity.

"This club have got great ambition and I want to be a part of it," said the former Tottenham and Arsenal star.

Campbell has 73 England caps and played for his country under Magpies director of football Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Eriksson stunned the world of football when he arrived at Meadow Lane in July and in Campbell the club have now made their biggest on-field signing since being taken over by a Middle-East consortium.

"Sven played a big role," said Campbell, whose move to Notts County was revealed by BBC Radio Nottingham earlier in the week. "He's a great man. He's managed all over the world and he knows his football, he's a proper guy.

"He's seen the future. It's a challenge but I think everyone connected to the club are prepared for that challenge. It's refreshing. "

Campbell won two Premier League titles and three FA Cups during his five years with Arsenal, where he was an integral member of the double-winning team of 2002 and the 'Invincibles' (the squad which went unbeaten through the entire 2003-04 league season).

The 6ft 2in centre-half has appeared in three World Cups and was still playing at the highest level last season, making 32 appearances for Pompey in the top flight of English football.

And he also featured for England in the Euro 2008 qualifiers but has not been selected since Fabio Capello took over as manager.

"I'm looking to the future now," said Campbell. "Career-wise this sits perfectly for where I am at the moment in my life. I didn't really have to think too much about it.

"There were offers from the Premier League but that would have been short-term. I'm thinking of the future."

Campbell played down suggestions he was being lined up for a coaching position, insisting he is focused solely on helping the Magpies reach the Premier League.

"I've spoken to all the people concerned with the club and they've guaranteed me of their ambitions to eventually get in the Premier League," said Campbell. "From the management to the hierarchy they genuinely think it's believable.

"This is the oldest club in the world with a fantastic heritage.

"I'll play for at least three years and then go from there. They've got a lot of ideas but I'm here as a footballer, to keep on winning promotion and getting them up into the Premier League.

"It's going to be different but I don't mind starting again. League-wise it is moving down but they've got ambitions to move up and I think we will.

"It's going to be a different kind of situation but I just want to play football and I'm hungry. Football is in my blood and all I'm thinking about is promotion."

Campbell's former manager, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, said he was surprised by the player's decision to drop down three divisions and suggested he might find it difficult to cope.

"It was a surprise, because of the level Notts County play at," said the Frenchman. "That shows you as well how much financial potential Notts County has suddenly.

"In May, did you expect Sol to go to Notts County? Certainly not. Time will show if it is a good move for him. It depends what is in his mind, if it is purely a football move or if it is a long-term move that he wants to be involved afterwards as a coach.

"Maybe it can be a good decision if he wants to build something on the longer term. On the short term, he will suffer a bit because he is used to top level football.

"When you move down, it is always difficult to cope mentally."

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp revealed he would have attempted to sign Campbell had he been in charge of any other Premier League club.

Campbell became a hate figure among Spurs fans after leaving for bitter rivals Arsenal in 2001 and Redknapp, who signed the defender for Portsmouth, said: "If I was at any other Premier League club I would have taken Sol Campbell no problem at all. I think he is still a fantastic player.

In my opinion he's still in the top six central defenders in the Premier League so for Notts County to get him in that division is incredible

The Magpies have been linked with a host of big-name players since Eriksson arrived, including David Beckham and Dietmar Hamann

But manager Ian McParland has sought to bring in players with a proven pedigree in the lower leagues in England, with the intention of building steadily.

Signings like Lee Hughes, Luke Rodgers, Ben Davies and Graeme Lee have helped take the Magpies to the top of the table.

However, the club have also signalled their intent to move to the next level by signing former Manchester City keeper Kasper Schmeichel

Good god, Notts County are really the Man. City of League 2, although this move does reek of publicity. But somehow I can see this ploy falling flat on it's face. If things don't work out, Notts County will probably be finished as a club. If not, it looks like there might be another contender tussling with the big four :lol:lol:lol

Mohammed Al Fayed did this with Fulham about 13 years ago. It's the kind of success story that I like to see in football, a team being raised up by attracting good coaches and senior players, rather than the Abramovich/Madrid-bank loan/Oil Money takeovers that have sadly become common place.

Lolerpool is right. Lucas is no replacement for Alonso: He's slower, he's passing range is much smaller, and he's physically inadequate for a holding role. The sooner Benitez drops him and lets an academy kid, or even just a mannequin, takes the pitch, the better Liverpool will be.

FFChris

bjaelke said:
It was 2-0 when the tool took a dive. Any decent team would have lost an opportunity to get back in the game by then.

They were down 2-0 from the first leg, and playing away. With the way Arsenal were playing, especially at the back, there was little chance of Celtic winning, with or without that dive.

I hope Wenger has a word with him, but I doubt it.

FFChris

bjaelke said:
You're missing the keyword decent.

:lol

I agree, out of context of the game it was pretty terrible cheating and a shitty way for us to win. No one will be talking about the performance now that's for sure.

SappYoda

UEFA's matching system is so awful and so manipulable that makes me puke.

Also Butragueño being the one choosing the balls is laughable.

jorma

is now taking requests
SappYoda said:
UEFA's matching system is so awful and so manipulable that makes me puke.

Also Butragueño being the one choosing the balls is laughable.

Inter - Barcelona, yea that sounds random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom