• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facism

So it's essentially official that Tuncay has signed for Stoke.

Proper waste of talent and a massive sidestep from middlesbrah.

diddlyD

Banned
come on guys lets talk about the concacaf champions league. columbus and dc united getting blown out, houston tying, why can't the US ever dominate in this competition? why is mexico winning every competition with us this year (gold cup, superliga, now this). what is it gonna take to get us soccer clubs serious about our champions league so we can grow and take away all the best players from europe leaving them with nothing but cricket to call their own?

discuss...

LRB1983

Banned
European Supercup it's about to start ^^
Y24ki.jpg

Shiv47

Rooney was going down before Almunia even gets to him. He's clearly looking to get a penalty since it looked like he had pull the ball beyond his own reach. Diaby is a fucking idiot, though.

feel

I think these kind of plays were the forward kicks the ball out and then dives on contact should not be awarded penalty. It should only be a penalty when in a situation where he could still reach the ball if not fouled.

FFChris

Shiv47 said:
Rooney was going down before Almunia even gets to him. He's clearly looking to get a penalty since it looked like he had pull the ball beyond his own reach. Diaby is a fucking idiot, though.

Maybe so, but Almunia was stupid enough to catch him full on and completely miss the ball. In the face of this Eduardo rubbish, I don't think Arsenal fans should start shouting about any penalty that could have been a dive, it's embarrassing.

Letters said:
I think these kind of plays were the forward kicks the ball out and then dives on contact should not be awarded penalty. It should only be a penalty when in a situation where he could still reach the ball if not fouled.

That's so hard to enforce though.

Shiv47

FFChris said:
Maybe so, but Almunia was stupid enough to catch him full on and completely miss the ball. In the face of this Eduardo rubbish, I don't think Arsenal fans should start shouting about any penalty that could have been a dive, it's embarrassing.

The Eduardo thing was quickly blown out of proportion by the press, ugly and unnecessary as his action was. Rooney is a serial cheat, and ought to be called on it.

alterno69

Banned
diddlyD said:
come on guys lets talk about the concacaf champions league. columbus and dc united getting blown out, houston tying, why can't the US ever dominate in this competition? why is mexico winning every competition with us this year (gold cup, superliga, now this). what is it gonna take to get us soccer clubs serious about our champions league so we can grow and take away all the best players from europe leaving them with nothing but cricket to call their own?

discuss...

Well no MLS team has ever won the Concacaf champions league, tho i most admit this year they've been particularly bad against mexican teams so far. I'm sorry but despite all of the MLS efforts the mexican league is in another league(lol) really, MLS has some young american talent with old almost retired stars like Schelotto, Angel, Beckham(lol), Blanco and the like who may still be great players but in sheer talent most mexican teams are way ahead of most MLS teams. The MLS as a league is still not atractive for southamerican talent in their prime, players on their way to Europe sometimes make a stop at mexican clubs and the trend is increasing, opossite to players coming to the MLS once they are done playing in european clubs. Also MLS doesn't pay as good as the Mexican league so it's more atractive to play in a better league, better payed and with a chance to participoate in south american tournaments like Libertadores and Sudamericana.

Just this week one of the very best MLS teams, current champion lost 5-0 to my team Cruz Azul without putting much of a fight.

/2cents

feel

FFChris said:
That's so hard to enforce though.
Ok, but in this case it was very obvious that in no way in hell he would get to the ball. He kicked it out with the tip of his foot in order to touch it before Almunia.

Feathers

Arsenal were pretty unlucky, Van Persie forced a class save at the beginning of the second half and Diaby will never score a better header if he tried. Rooney was definitely falling, but Almunia should have pulled back so it was a fair penalty.

I want a picture of Wenger with his arms folded enclosed by the Man u crowd, he looked fuckin boss.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
whats the difference between Ipswich Town and a triangle?

AT LEAST A TRIANGLE HAS THREE FUCKING POINTS.

Thanks Roy Keane! Sell/get rid of a shitload of players are replace them with $50k donkeys from fucking Cory City. You're a fucking genius.

But we are now getting the football equivalent of "wait for Space World!" with "i'll be busying buying players , they'll be here next week!"

and who are we targetting?

People who can't get into the full Sunderland squad.

FUUUUUUCK me.... we are two defeats off our season being done and we are only 5 games in. What a fucking disaster.

FFChris

Letters said:
Ok, but in this case it was very obvious that in no way in hell he would get to the ball. He kicked it out with the tip of his foot in order to touch it before Almunia.

Hmm, I thought it was a stonewall penalty before, but now I've seen this I'm not so sure,

CHEATER.gif

Almunia touches him sure, but from that angle it's half and half. Eduardo's dive looked a lot more blatant, but this doesn't look fantastic either.

bluemax

Banned
alterno69 said:
Well no MLS team has ever won the Concacaf champions league, tho i most admit this year they've been particularly bad against mexican teams so far. I'm sorry but despite all of the MLS efforts the mexican league is in another league(lol) really, MLS has some young american talent with old almost retired stars like Schelotto, Angel, Beckham(lol), Blanco and the like who may still be great players but in sheer talent most mexican teams are way ahead of most MLS teams. The MLS as a league is still not atractive for southamerican talent in their prime, players on their way to Europe sometimes make a stop at mexican clubs and the trend is increasing, opossite to players coming to the MLS once they are done playing in european clubs. Also MLS doesn't pay as good as the Mexican league so it's more atractive to play in a better league, better payed and with a chance to participoate in south american tournaments like Libertadores and Sudamericana.

Just this week one of the very best MLS teams, current champion lost 5-0 to my team Cruz Azul without putting much of a fight.

/2cents

It probably doesn't help that MLS treats the CONCACAF Champions league like a joke, running their B and C squads out while everyone else runs their A teams. MLS teams care more about winning the MLS cup than a prestigious international tournament. Its stupid but thats the way it it is.

Hyphen

FFChris said:
Shockers by Almunia and Diaby, not much else to it. Utd were outplayed.

They were definitely outplayed, and we (Arsenal) are definitely a better team now than last year. It was the first time in a long time that I felt confident about Arsenal. Even at 2-1 down, I felt we were going to equalise. Fair enough we didn't, but I had a feeling that we could. Where as last season, I wouldn't have had any confidence in us coming back. Despite the silly header from Diaby and the occasional "WTF are you doing" moments from Song and Denilson, I thought those 3 (average age of 22) played really well against the second best team in the world. Yeah, I'm pissed we lost, but I believe there were so many positives to take from that game.

Don't forget, replace Eboue with Nasri, Denilson with Rosicky, Diaby with Fabregas, and today I believe we would have killed Utd.

Really can't wait for the Man City game now. Hopfeully the bold players above will be back in contention along with Walcott.

Karakand

bluemax said:
It probably doesn't help that MLS treats the CONCACAF Champions league like a joke, running their B and C squads out while everyone else runs their A teams. MLS teams care more about winning the MLS cup than a prestigious international tournament. Its stupid but thats the way it it is.
Squad sizes just aren't big enough to compete in all these competitions. Hopefully the next CBA addresses some of that.

Karakand

Who would have known that playing 4-2-4 in this day and age would net you a series of clean sheets?

Well besides Leslie.

alterno69

Banned
bluemax said:

Well, most mexican temas use their B squads as well so that shouldn't be an excuse, truth is MLS as a whole still has a long way to go as a whole.

Disgusting. I agree with Wenger; for tackles like that the accused shouldn't be allowed to play for the length of time the victim is out. If it's years, then so be it. If it's a career ending injury, then so be it. Both feet are off the air with studs pointed. That is vicious.

Karakand

Meus Renaissance said:
Disgusting. I agree with Wenger; for tackles like that the accused shouldn't be allowed to play for the length of time the victim is out. If it's years, then so be it. If it's a career ending injury, then so be it. Both feet are off the air with studs pointed. That is vicious.
Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom