• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wish in basketball and in soccer divers were given suspensions. I think asking refs to catch it in the game can be difficult, and I understand the hesitation there. Sometimes you'll watch a match and think you saw a blatant dive or vice versa and the slow-motion or a different angle more often will show that the exact opposite is true. But what's stopping a committee from objectively reviewing film post-match and giving down stern suspensions for blatant incidents? Would make refereeing so much easier too because (1) when someone fell the refs could be assured there was at least some contact (assuming the punishment is enough to deter excessive diving; and (2) players would be less prone to "sell" tiny fouls by making them appear to be huge fouls just because even small fouls would stand out more since there wouldn't be 500 fake reactions a game for them to get muddled in with.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
is it a system like the one i suggest? think i'd have heard of more bannings if that were the case and yet that's the only one i ever hear about.

Google

AstroLad said:
is it a system like the one i suggest? think i'd have heard of more bannings if that were the case and yet that's the only one i ever hear about.

I believe in the system currently, there needs to irrefutable evidence that the player dived.

Sure, players do go down easily, and do dive, but often there is some evidence of a push, tackle, attempt, etc. See Ngog's dive a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, he dived. Quite blatantly. But had the tackle from Carsley connected, Ngog could have been injured.

He's still a cunt.

But there's certainly evidence to prove that he was thinking about getting out of the way of the challenge.

bionic77

AstroLad said:
I wish in basketball and in soccer divers were given suspensions. I think asking refs to catch it in the game can be difficult, and I understand the hesitation there. Sometimes you'll watch a match and think you saw a blatant dive or vice versa and the slow-motion or a different angle more often will show that the exact opposite is true. But what's stopping a committee from objectively reviewing film post-match and giving down stern suspensions for blatant incidents? Would make refereeing so much easier too because (1) when someone fell the refs could be assured there was at least some contact (assuming the punishment is enough to deter excessive diving; and (2) players would be less prone to "sell" tiny fouls by making them appear to be huge fouls just because even small fouls would stand out more since there wouldn't be 500 fake reactions a game for them to get muddled in with.
I think they need to start giving out yellow cards like candy if guys start going down too easily because right now if you are in the box and don't know what to do with the ball players just run at a defender, try and force some contact and then dive hoping for a penalty. Give out enough yellows and this is something that will fix itself. It would hopefully encourage people to try and score at all costs instead of looking for the ref to bail you out.

I don't think that this is something they can fix after the game with replay, the problem is the lack of sportsmanship during matches and the only way you can fix that is by the refs cracking down on diving.

The only problem with this is that if the refs start to favor the defense then they are going to go all Italy on the offensive players and start shouldering the fuck out of them, making it look more like American football than anything else. But I think I would rather watch that match than what is currently going on.

Magni

We were all rooting for Ireland after the first few minutes when it was clear Ireland was playing better (we're not really soccer fans at my college, but the TV was on during our poker tourney so we half watched it anyway). Lloris and Anelka were the only players actually playing, and wtf was Benzema.

That goal fucking sucked, and the penalty that didn't get called sucked as well. We need video refs NOW (the only time I've seen video used in a soccer game was against Zidane. WTF at that one as well :lol )

Oh, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LriEtviUkf8 :lol :lol :lol

Damn, I've just spent 15 minutes searching for this thread (for some reason it doesn't show up when I search for football as a thread title) and was on the verge of bumping last season's one. Why is this one so lifeless?

Anyway, it's half time at Anfield with Liverpool vs Arsenal. Liverpool are leading 1-0 with a 41 minute goal from Dirk Kuyt. Hopefully this can re-ignite the thread somewhat.

OgTheClever said:
Damn, I've just spent 15 minutes searching for this thread (for some reason it doesn't show up when I search for football as a thread title) and was on the verge of bumping last season's one. Why is this one so lifeless?

The regular users treated the old thread as their own little rules-free playground because no mods ever visited it, then one of them called a mod on this fact and said mod came into the thread and retroactively culled anyone breaking the rules, which just happened to be the majority of the football fans on NeoGAF - this years thread was started, but the real dedicated posters have either been banned or taken their football discussion to another forum set up by some of the banned members.

Oozer3993

Charlie Davies is already jogging and training and expects to be back with his club team in April. And he says it will be easy for him to be ready for the World Cup. God I hope so.

Clydefrog

Oozer3993 said:
Charlie Davies is already jogging and training and expects to be back with his club team in April. And he says it will be easy for him to be ready for the World Cup. God I hope so.

Whoa, I was just coming here to post that :lol

That is such awesome news.. but I won't believe it until he actually does start playing again. We NEED Charlie!

Guess I can post that Donovan got his first goal with Everton today. The man has been amazing since joining a few weeks ago!! He looks like he's been playing in the EPL for years! I hope he stays until at least the end of the season, but that may be unlikely with his LA contract...

Also, Stuart Holden joined Bolton. Let's hope he gets some playing time!

lol I was searching for this thread all day yesterday the search button doesn't work for noobs I guess.

Charlie Davis recovery is amazing.

Now, broken bones and surgeries are one thing -- lots of people go through that and come back good as new -- but if you're somehow still doubting Davies' resiliency and superhumanness, read this:

The swelling in his face that was so evident during his interview with ESPN last November has subsided, though a shorter haircut reveals the scar he has from ear to ear arcing over the top of his skull. That scar came after doctors peeled his face off down to his chin in order to repair the multiple fractures that left his facial bones a shattered mess.

The doctors peeled his face off to fix his shattered skull? That's like Terminator type stuff.

Says Davies himself:

"I know I can come back and be one of the best strikers in the world. I know with the improvement that I'm making, if I can continue that with this new feeling I have now, it's going to be tough to stop me."

Yeah, he's definitely a Terminator.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog...an-unstoppable-force-with-supe?urn=sow,215654

Jesse Jane said:
lol I was searching for this thread all day yesterday the search button doesn't work for noobs I guess.

Charlie Davis recovery is amazing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog...an-unstoppable-force-with-supe?urn=sow,215654

Thank God!

Charlie Davies is a must have come World Cup time.

Probably the only player we got that doesn't give up on the ball inside the box.

Josy is quick to give up on the ball if he messes up. Charlie will keep attacking it until it is either in the back of the goal/keepers hands/out of play

MidnightRider said:
Thank God!

Charlie Davies is a must have come World Cup time.

Probably the only player we got that doesn't give up on the ball inside the box.

Josy is quick to give up on the ball if he messes up. Charlie will keep attacking it until it is either in the back of the goal/keepers hands/out of play

I think even if Charlie Davies was fully healed come world cup time, he wouldn't be match fit. The fact that he could possibly be back with Schaux by April is incredible and will give him plenty of time to get match fit.

I think Davies, more so than Dempsey and Onyewu, is really the key to the US team. I thought he was phenomenal when he played against Spain even though we had plenty of dumb defensive errors.

They are also saying that Dempsey and Onyweu could be ready for the WC as well. Dempsey's outlook is more positive than Onyewu's right now though

Noshino

Karakand said:
A new generation of football threaders and they're USMNT fans. :') I'm so proud.

Im disappointed that none of them seem to be interested in the Libertadores :C

Second round of the First stage is next week

Kozak

Banned
OP updated to the best of my ability. Top 4 leagues, fuck the French league, nobody watches it anyway.

Heres a picture of Alex De Souza:

ads305zkksv9.png

Karakand

United States Men's National [football] Team

@Noshino: You have to forgive us for not being interested in a competition with real players like Libertadores. I think we're afraid of succumbing to envy.

Noshino said:
Im disappointed that none of them seem to be interested in the Libertadores :C

Second round of the First stage is next week

It physically hurts eurosnobs to admit that theres something better than the UEFA champions league. :(

Kozak

Banned
jamesinclair said:
It physically hurts eurosnobs to admit that theres something better than the UEFA champions league. :(

Lies. There is nothing better than the UEFA Champions League when it comes to Club Cup competition!!

BTW Guys, Euro2012 qualifying group stages are about to be drawn! EXCITING!

I hope Turkey gets a nice draw and for goodness sakes can we not be drawn with Bosnia :( That would be the 3rd time in a row for us and they really fuck with us :(

dg32

Neo Member
Kozak said:
Lies. There is nothing better than the UEFA Champions League when it comes to Club Cup competition!!

BTW Guys, Euro2012 qualifying group stages are about to be drawn! EXCITING!

I hope Turkey gets a nice draw and for goodness sakes can we not be drawn with Bosnia :( That would be the 3rd time in a row for us and they really fuck with us :(

Turkey, huh? I was stationed at Incirlik from 2006-2008, and it was so awesome to see the whole town go nuts after the team performed so well during Euro 2008.

Also, big EPL match today with Chelsea taking on Arsenal. If Arsenal doesn't take any points from this match, title chances are most likely down the drain.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Groups for Euro 2012 qualifiers :

Group A : Germany, Turkey, Austria, Belgium, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan
Group B : Russia, Slovakia, Republic of Ireland, FYR Macedonia, Armenia, Andorra
Group C : Italy, Serbia, Northern Ireland, Slovenia, Estonia, Faroe Islands
Group D : France, Romania, Bosnia, Belarus, Albania, Luxembourg
Group E : Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Hungary, Moldova, San Marino
Group F : Croatia, Greece, Israel, Latvia, Georgia, Malta
Group G : England, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Wales, Montenegro
Group H : Portugal, Denmark, Norway, Cyprus, Iceland
Group I : Spain, Czech Republic, Scotland, Lithuania, Liechtenstein

Source

A rovers fan was killed at Stoke yesterday apparantly a bin was being thrown around by some idiots in the concourse and he tried to head it

stupid way to lose a life to make it worse he has a young son

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Spain and the Czech Republic. I guess that's 14 years without qualifying for shit then. :(

Kozak

Banned
industrian said:
Spain and the Czech Republic. I guess that's 14 years without qualifying for shit then. :(

Czech Republic aren't exactly the best. Petr Cech isn't in the greatest form of his career and their best forward is Milan Baros. Scotland can put up a good challenge for 2nd place. They also switch coaches a lot so thats always a nice advantage.

NoRéN

Kozak said:
Czech Republic aren't exactly the best. Petr Cech isn't in the greatest form of his career and their best forward is Milan Baros. Scotland can put up a good challenge for 2nd place. They also switch coaches a lot so thats always a nice advantage.

Cech can shine every once in a while. But, once a set piece comes into the equation, don't get your hopes up.

Exciting Euro Draw. No "Group of Death" it seems...right?

Kozak

Banned
NoRéN said:
Cech can shine every once in a while. But, once a set piece comes into the equation, don't get your hopes up.

Exciting Euro Draw. No "Group of Death" it seems...right?

Germany
Turkey
Belgium
Austria

I feel thats a group of death :\ I guess Austria aren't too much of a problem but if they wanted, they could be a nuisance. Early reports suggest that Germany and Turkey are favourites but I consider us to never be favourites when it comes to qualifying. Germany and Belgium are favourites as far as I see it, Germany and Belgium are favourites with our new coach deciding if we putting in a challenge or not.

NoRéN

Kozak said:
Germany
Turkey
Belgium
Austria

I feel thats a group of death :\ I guess Austria aren't too much of a problem but if they wanted, they could be a nuisance. Early reports suggest that Germany and Turkey are favourites but I consider us to never be favourites when it comes to qualifying. Germany and Belgium are favourites as far as I see it, Germany and Belgium are favourites with our new coach deciding if we putting in a challenge or not.

Turkish, are you? Or from Belgium?

I am a fan of Der Mannschaft. They do have it easy as far as travel(aside from Turkey).

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Kozak said:

Knowing Scotland, we'll sneak a draw or two against Spain, beat the Czech Republic twice and then fuck up with Lithuania and come 3rd.

Messi

Watching ibrahimovic play recently has been so painful. After such a great start at barca he has just become so lazy. He has not scored in nearly two months, if it was not for Messi/Pedro barca might be in a bit of trouble goals wise.

Also what is with ibra's fetish for offsides, it ties hand in hand with his lazyness I think, he seems to just try and walk back onside when he is offside. He also expects the ball to just come to him instead of working for it.

After such a magical start for ibra, what went wrong?

Kozak

Banned
NoRéN said:
Turkish, are you? Or from Belgium?

I am a fan of Der Mannschaft. They do have it easy as far as travel(aside from Turkey).

Turkish. Yeah the travels are okay and we have fans in every corner of each country most notably Germany. I hope fan support will take us a long way.

Woah! Had no idea there was a reboot of the soccer/football thread. Cool beans. Anyway, since Sunderland started to suck it up I've been hating the EPL. Oh and that match referee form the Sunderland game a week ago needs to be fired, fired hard. I guess it's legal to mug Kenwyne Jones when you don't have the talent to mark him correctly.

Clydefrog

Peter Crouch somehow has an extremely attractive girlfriend. Look at Sports Illustrated's 2010 swimsuit issue. wtf

same with Dempsey

NoRéN

Kozak said:
Turkish. Yeah the travels are okay and we have fans in every corner of each country most notably Germany. I hope fan support will take us a long way.

Seen the turkey fans first hand in Germany. Should be good stuff. And Turkey can be hell for the traveling teams.

Clydefrog said:
Peter Crouch somehow has an extremely attractive girlfriend. Look at Sports Illustrated's 2010 swimsuit issue. wtf

same with Dempsey

Yeah, Abby Clancy, right? Damn! My lady just told me today that Dempsey is married. Good for you, Deuce!

sportzhead said:
Woah! Had no idea there was a reboot of the soccer/football thread. Cool beans. Anyway, since Sunderland started to suck it up I've been hating the EPL. Oh and that match referee form the Sunderland game a week ago needs to be fired, fired hard. I guess it's legal to mug Kenwyne Jones when you don't have the talent to mark him correctly.

You know, when I heard of Bruce leaving Wigan for the Stadium of Light, I thought of good things for Sunderland. Not so much. But, the ref was bullshit!

Clydefrog

If Dempsey's getting daily blowjobs from that wife of his, he owes me 9 goals this upcoming world cup. Or else I get one night with wifey.

NoRéN

Clydefrog said:
If Dempsey's getting daily blowjobs from that wife of his, he owes me 9 goals this upcoming world cup. Or else I get one night with wifey.

Let's just hope he heals up soon. He was on a tear for Fulham before the injury.

Clydefrog

NoRéN said:
Let's just hope he heals up soon. He was on a tear for Fulham before the injury.

agreed - please heal fast! except that when he plays for USMNT, his ego inflates and he tries to put on a show. coach bradley just sits there itching his chin.

NoRéN

Clydefrog said:
agreed - please heal fast! except that when he plays for USMNT, his ego inflates and he tries to put on a show. coach bradley just sits there itching his chin.

Yeah...I don't know. He...uhh...damn.

I mean, what does Bradley do about him? Then again, he had been scoring for the Nats as of late.

And, what say you about Beasley and his recent form? He has been "on fire" for 'Gers?

Clydefrog said:

True, but he seems to be the only guy on the NT with an ego and a fire to really want to win. I wish we had more players on the team with some showmanship and fire. I bet ya we wouldn't have lost to Brazil if we had more "Dempseys".

Clydefrog

NoRéN said:
Yeah...I don't know. He...uhh...damn.

I mean, what does Bradley do about him? Then again, he had been scoring for the Nats as of late.

And, what say you about Beasley and his recent form? He has been "on fire" for 'Gers?

:lol Beasley. that's what happens when you play up north i suppose.

it'd take a miracle for him to come back and play for the US in my opinion... he might still play for Rangers, but he's as good as Eddie Johnson is for the USMNT at this point as far as I'm concerned.

Clydefrog

sportzhead said:
True, but he seems to be the only guy on the NT with an ego and a fire to really want to win. I wish we had more players on the team with some showmanship and fire. I bet ya we wouldn't have lost to Brazil if we had more "Dempseys".

i'll give you that... i definitely want him on the team. but i feel like sometimes his ego overpowers his determination. and that hurts us in games. he can become lazy at times because of it; "oh, i just lost the ball after trying to ronaldo-dribble... so much for that. try again next time." except it never works :(

donovan has great passion, workrate, and can show the bling successfully at times. i'm loving him at everton BTW (but I cringe every time he does something wrong :lol)

NoRéN

sportzhead said:

HELL F'N YES!!!

Exactly!!!!!!! I cannot understand why more people don't see this!!! Him and DONOVAN!!!

SO much hate for LD but, he is what we need! *thinks back to the Mexico game where he rounds Sanchez, and LOOKS BACK AT HIM as if to say, "COME ON" *

Clydefrog said:
Beasley. that's what happens when you play up north i suppose.

it'd take a miracle for him to come back and play for the US in my opinion... he might still play for Rangers, but he's as good as Eddie Johnson is for the USMNT at this point as far as I'm concerned.

Have you been watching him in the Scottish Prem? He's been pretty good. A goal in his first game back from injury(from the corner of the 18), and then another goal. I think his falling out at the Confederations is what he needed. Pretty good stuff.

:lol @ EJ. What happened there? Though, it's nice to see him and Adu link up for a goal in Greece.

NoRéN

Clydefrog said:
donovan has great passion, workrate, and can show the bling successfully at times. i'm loving him at everton BTW (but I cringe every time he does something wrong :lol)

But hey, gotta admit, he's been Everton's best man at times, and he's on loan. Even during the Merseyside Derby, he was their best(yeah, so Fellaini went off injured).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom