• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtofan

iapetus said:
:D

He always had the option of owning up to it at the time. Whatever happened to sportsmanship?
Unfortunatly people think that winning is more important than sportmanship.
If he did that he would have been killed :lol

operon

I'm so proud of our boys last night, we were robbed by a cheating bastard and fifa with their seeding.. So much for them supposedly helping out smaller countries more like fucking them over. And on another note razor blades wil be going cheap in ireland til henry is off their adds

chico

Igo said:
Seeding, Seeding, Ridiculous Seeding...

FIFA and UEFA get what they want no matter the cost.

seeding makes sense. nobody wants a world cup consisting only of small teams.
bosnia vs north korea? no thanks...

and the teams that are now on top deserved it, because over many many years they have been better than yours!

next time play better football and you will qualify, whining about seeding and the FIFA is childish.

That doesnt mean, that i dont think that france´s win was deserved, but the referee is to blame, not the seeding.

Shiv47

It's always hilarious to read comments after a flashpoint event like Henry's handball, because it shows the utter hypocrisy of most fans. Of course Henry wasn't going to own up to doing anything. Who ever does in a match of that magnitude? Did Michael Owen do so after diving against Argentina? Did Wayne Rooney or Steven Gerrard ever do so after the many occasions on which either of them have dived? Did Maradona after the Hand of God incident? Of course not. Would anyone give a shit if this had been France vs Slovakia or Ukraine, or some other Eastern European backwater? Highly unlikely. As for it affecting his reputation, time takes care of that. Whether you think it affects his reputation or not probably depends on your opinion of him beforehand. Plenty of people love Maradona, Hand of God or not. One moment of cheating doesn't take away from previous greatness, unless you already hated the guy and need another reason to do so. If you really decide to hate a player for a moment's madness in deciding to cheat, then you probably shouldn't watch football, because (big shock here) it's chock full of cheaters, many of them loved by their own fans.

Shiv47 said:
Would anyone give a shit if this had been France vs Slovakia or Ukraine, or some other Eastern European backwater? Highly unlikely.

Yes people would. To be honest i would rather see Ukraine at the worldcup than ireland. Doesn't change that I hate cheating cunts like this, has nothing to do with who it was against. Could reallly not care less about Irelands team. Your other points are just as stupid... Of course liverpool fans wont hate Gerrard for diving but that doesn't mean everyone else dont.

Maverick

Jesus H. Christ only on GAF would you find people making excuses for what Henry did.

This forum is so absurdly contrarian and backwards sometimes.

moai

i agree with irish people, the hand was obvious and they were robbed. but it was the referees fault, not henry. also, ireland was not winning the game. they were tied (extra time resets the score in this tipes of definition), so they didn't robbed you the quali to the world cup, you were robbed of the posibility of going into penalty kicks.

Shiv47

Milk Lizard said:
Of course liverpool fans wont hate Gerrard for diving but that doesn't mean everyone else dont.

Bullshit, most fans don't give a shit about cheating unless it's done to them or affects their team's place in the table.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Kurtofan said:
In live from the qualifications to the volley ball world cup :
h346mzki5q9ih24p2d-d02.jpg

This is a disgrace

Playing XBL last night with my buddy in Ireland and he was piiiiissed :lol

Shiv47 said:
Bullshit, most fans don't give a shit about cheating unless it's done to them or affects their team's place in the table.

Wrong. Yesterday fck (Copenhagen) forum was full of people talking about what a cheating cunt Henry and there was lots of talk about N'Gog and his dive against Birmingham (i think it was). Nothing that affects copenhagen at all so fuck off with your stupid shit.

Oh and yeah I am danish and complaining about this, I have no friends, family or anything in Ireland.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
moai said:
i agree with irish people, the hand was obvious and they were robbed. but it was the referees fault, not henry.

Why can't they both be at fault? (Clue: they are.)

moai said:
also, ireland was not winning the game. they were tied (extra time resets the score in this tipes of definition), so they didn't robbed you the quali to the world cup, you were robbed of the posibility of going into penalty kicks.

Which is fine. Arrange a penalty shootout between the two teams to determine who goes through.

Maverick said:
Jesus H. Christ only on GAF (and in France) would you find people making excuses for what Henry did.

Fixed. :D

chico said:

What the system is supposed to provide is for the best teams to play in the world cup. If you want a shitty tournament where qualification is based on the size of the country's TV market, call it the Shitty TV-Market-Based Cup For Big Countries and multiply the number of goals scored by the population of the country scoring.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Shiv47 said:

Do you really think most of the people complaining about this are Irish? Really?

Shiv47

Milk Lizard said:
Nothing that affects copenhagen at all so fuck off with your stupid shit.

:lol For someone with no rooting interest you sure seem to be taking it personally, or have some anger issues.

iapetus said:
Do you really think most of the people complaining about this are Irish? Really?

Of course not. Do people complain about every instance of cheating in every game that goes on over each weekend? It was a high profile match, so people are talking about it. Virtually every game of professional football I've seen has some element of cheating, usually small stuff, but sometimes blatant. It doesn't excuse it, what Henry did was ridiculous, but let's not kid ourselves that it was that far out of the norm. If players think they can get away with something, they'll try it. Sportsmanship is probably the last thing that crosses most players' minds.

Igo

chico said:

and the teams that are now on top deserved it, because over many many years they have been better than yours!

next time play better football and you will qualify, whining about seeding and the FIFA is childish.

That doesnt mean, that i dont think that france´s win was deserved, but the referee is to blame, not the seeding.

What are you on about guy. I'm English. Had we finished 2nd in our group I would still be against seeding. Why should we be giving an advantage over some developing nation because of our history. The people running football care more about ratings that the integrity of the competition. It's a disgrace.

Shiv47

iapetus said:
So you're saying that most fans do give a shit in situations where it isn't done to them and doesn't affect their team's place in the tables?

No, I was saying that this was a high profile game, so people tend to comment more than a similar act of cheating in NoName FC vs Never Heard of You Town. Things happen like Henry cheating, people get outraged, nothing happens to the perpetrator or the team, the fans of the team that got fucked bitch about it and continue to do so when that player comes up in conversation, and life moves on. That's how football seems to work, from my experience.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Shiv47 said:
No, I was saying that this was a high profile game, so people tend to comment more than a similar act of cheating in NoName FC vs Never Heard of You Town.

That's not what I called you out on, though. You said:

Shiv47 said:

That's garbage in this case - most fans complaining about the cheating didn't have it done to them, and it doesn't affect their team's place in the table, and you acknowledged this above.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I am a Frenchman and that was just embarassing. I can assure you that most Frenchies, at least the ones I know, hate Domenech and are completely embarassed by yesterday's outcome. Even getting through on penalties would have been embarassing, but the goal was just pure farce.

Shiv47

iapetus said:
That's garbage in this case - most fans complaining about the cheating didn't have it done to them, and it doesn't affect their team's place in the table, and you acknowledged this above.

And I said that this was because it was a high profile game, with cheating by one of the most well-known players in the world, who has apparently gotten away with it. People are going to comment on that whether they have a rooting interest or not, whereas low profile games with no name players will not bring the same response. I don't give a shit about Ireland or France, and yet here I am debating it. Are you telling me that if this were about, say, the Bahrain-New Zealand match, that we'd have the same level of interest?

Shiv47 said:
And I said that this was because it was a high profile game, with cheating by one of the most well-known players in the world, who has apparently gotten away with it. People are going to comment on that whether they have a rooting interest or not, whereas low profile games with no name players will not bring the same response. I don't give a shit about Ireland or France, and yet here I am debating it. Are you telling me that if this were about, say, the Bahrain-New Zealand match, that we'd have the same level of interest?

So your point is we shouldn't complain about Henry (and other big players) cheating because we dont complain about some guy that no one knows about from Crewe does the same thing ? Seriously if I watched New Zealand vs Bahrain and one of them diving or cheating like Henry yesterday i would be angry with whoever did that too.

Shiv47 said:
:lol For someone with no rooting interest you sure seem to be taking it personally, or have some anger issues.

No i do not have any anger issues but i get pissed off when people like you say stuff that is not true.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
AstroLad said:
I am a Frenchman and that was just embarassing. I can assure you that most Frenchies, at least the ones I know, hate Domenech and are completely embarassed by yesterday's outcome. Even getting through on penalties would have been embarassing, but the goal was just pure farce.

Yeah, I don't think anyone mad at the French people.

Mostly the refs and somewhat Henry.

There should be a replay, or Ireland should make for a 33 team World Cup.

Corto

Igo said:
What are you on about guy. I'm English. Had we finished 2nd in our group I would still be against seeding. Why should we be giving an advantage over some developing nation because of our history. The people running football care more about ratings that the integrity of the competition. It's a disgrace.

Seeding is there to ensure that the best teams have a better chance of getting the ticket to the world cup. Arguing about the purity of the game is moot, cause then you would have to have it since the beginning of the qualifiers. And then you should have qualifiers groups like France, Germain, Spain, Italy, Portugal... And then San Marino, Lichtenstein, Faroe Islands and Kazakhstan... The Ethos of football is there from the beginning of the game, after the initial whistle of the referee the rankings don't mean shit... The better/richer/bigger team/nations do not always wins. Hell you can argue also why Europe has so much places reserved to it's teams on the World Cup, that is also detrimental to the integrity of the competition, no?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Shiv47 said:
Are you telling me that if this were about, say, the Bahrain-New Zealand match, that we'd have the same level of interest?

I'm telling you that, in direct contradiction to what you said, this isn't just a partisan issue, and you seem to acknowledge that you were wrong on that point.

Now you're claiming that it's only because a big-name team was involved, and I doubt that's the case either. There might have been less coverage of it in that case, but for people who saw the coverage there would have been similar reactions to it.

Shiv47

iapetus said:
I'm telling you that, in direct contradiction to what you said, this isn't just a partisan issue, and you seem to acknowledge that you were wrong on that point.

Now you're claiming that it's only because a big-name team was involved, and I doubt that's the case either. There might have been less coverage of it in that case, but for people who saw the coverage there would have been similar reactions to it.

Never mind then. I either didn't state my point correctly, or you misunderstood, or both. <shrugs> I have nothing else to say about it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
chico said:

So why have qualifiers at all? Why not just automatically put the big nations through?

Ireland did play better football. They were the better team last night and if anybody deserved to win it, it was them. What the fuck does being better for many years have to do with it? Past performance should have fuck all influence on whether they get through the qualifiers.

FIFA has proven time and again they are morons, sticking up for them is just retarded.

Kurtofan

arstal said:
Yeah, I don't think anyone mad at the French people.

Mostly the refs and somewhat Henry.

There should be a replay, or Ireland should make for a 33 team World Cup.
Ireland asked for a replay but sadly they won't get it.
I'm French too and I would prefer if we could win the good way:that match was just too shameful...

Az

chico said:

OK I am Bosnian, and a bit dissappointed but the results. Congratulations to Portugal you guys did play better.

But, how fucked up is it when your official football federation tells you that it wants to see Ronaldo in the World Cup?? And making unknown teams play against established european teams is a disgrace, Bosnia fought hard to get to the playoff. You'll get the same big names over and over again with small exceptions like Slovenia. Bosnia's national team was establised in 1992, get it 1992.

Our fans are not the nicest but you talking about people being spat on is funny. Might be true, but I've got spat on watching amateur leagues here in the USA. Why were Bosnian fans charged double for shitty tickets in Portugal? I can confirm that since my good friend flew to Portugal to watch the game. Don't just blame one side.

I guess I am just frustrated by it all, the results, FIFA and the bias, the way we played etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
We need to get rid of this attitude in football that it's OK as long as the ref doesn't see it.

Can you imagine golfers sneaking things past the judges?

They don't (well, to my knowledge). They take personal responsibility for the cleanliness of their performance.

In a team sport that kind of responsibility should be possible too.

edit - also, whoever said Ireland wasn't winning...I may be biased, but Ireland was playing a better match. The French were absolutely desperate for the game to end once they got their hand-goal. If they'd gone on to penalties and lost there, so be it, at least that would have been clean and fair.

NinjaFridge said:
So why have qualifiers at all? Why not just automatically put the big nations through?

Because they still have a fair chance ? We beat Sweden and Portugal that are long over us on seeding list. Seeding is great, it's what makes stuff like world cup and champions league good, it's the best of the best.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gofreak said:
We need to get rid of this attitude in football that it's OK as long as the ref doesn't see it.

Can you imagine golfers sneaking things past the judges?
yeah but that's like the only sport where there's some sort of honor code like that. certainly isn't one in american football, basketball, or hockey

Maverick

The result of this game was depressing for a lot of reasons.

France were fucking apathetic and nonchalant. Given may have grabbed Anelka's ankle on the non-given penalty, but Anelka's swan dive was absolutely deliberate and shameful.

This is what we are teaching future generations of footballers is just "part of the game." It's all become a big performance.

Football is the best game on earth when it is played properly (and this is coming from an American), but when football is played like France played it last night, it's a pathetic, pussy stage show.

This is why Americans watch football and say that it is for "whimps."

Ireland played with furious determination and heart. France were looking for every chance to flop.

Ugh. fucking sickening.

Igo

Corto said:
Seeding is there to ensure that the best teams have a better chance of getting the ticket to the world cup. Arguing about the purity of the game is moot, cause then you would have to have it since the beginning of the qualifiers. And then you should have qualifiers groups like France, Germain, Spain, Italy, Portugal... And then San Marino, Lichtenstein, Faroe Islands and Kazakhstan... The Ethos of football is there from the beginning of the game, after the initial whistle of the referee the rankings don't mean shit... The better/richer/bigger team/nations do not always wins. Hell you can argue also why Europe has so much places reserved to it's teams on the World Cup, that is also detrimental to the integrity of the competition, no?

But they're given the best opportunities.

You're not wrong. UEFA do have too many spots. CONMEBOL too. They only have 10 members and are given 5 spots while CAF, AFC and CONMEBOL are shafted.

The only way these smaller countries are going to improve is if they play in the big tournaments. For that to happen they need a fair chance at qualifying. At the moment that's just not happening.

avaya

Ireland are shit and do not belong at the World Cup.

Any team with Robbie Keane in it is automatically disqualified.

Wes

venison crêpe
Impressive stadium, however the story about the grass for the pitches is disgraceful. Whats the point of hosting the competition in such a nation if you're going to import grass from Europe becase "it looks better on tv" and also has the handy fact that the european nations (ie. the ones FIFA can market the most) are used to playing on it.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Absolutely shockingly, FIFA have rejected Ireland's request for a replay (on largely spurious grounds, IMO, given that there's already precedent for this sort of thing).

OLyonnais10

Neo Member
I am a HUGE les bleus fan and I am ecstatic they are in..

however, i dont want them to qualify like this. I would prefer a replay. I think we can win, and i dont want people to say we cheated to get there.

also, though Anelka sorta took a dive, he was fouled by Given. I dont know how people can say he wasnt. He was clearly caught, and Given was the last man. Anelka went down too easy, but regardless it should have been a penalty.

sorry to all the Irish fans :( .. WC plays with your emotions, and I wont say you guys deserved to go through, but you guys deserve a fair result (and if u won, so be it)

bionic77

Maverick said:
The result of this game was depressing for a lot of reasons.

France were fucking apathetic and nonchalant. Given may have grabbed Anelka's ankle on the non-given penalty, but Anelka's swan dive was absolutely deliberate and shameful.

This is what we are teaching future generations of footballers is just "part of the game." It's all become a big performance.

Football is the best game on earth when it is played properly (and this is coming from an American), but when football is played like France played it last night, it's a pathetic, pussy stage show.

This is why Americans watch football and say that it is for "whimps."

Ireland played with furious determination and heart. France were looking for every chance to flop.

Ugh. fucking sickening.
Isn't diving and cheating part of the game? I don't follow soccer/football religiously but I have seen enough Champions League and World Cup matches to know that diving is just part of the sport. Players are taught to dive and to try to get away with anything that leads to victory. Can you honestly name me one team that plays the "right way" and is successful doing it? I remember when Turkey played Brazil (back when they were on top) to a standstill in the Korean/Japanese World Cup and during a very close match a Turkish player kicked Ronaldhino who of course dove and pretended that he was kicked in the face getting the Turkish player the red card and ultimately helping Brazil to win the game. And yet Ronaldhino showed no shame after the match and no one remembers it anymore because Brazil went on to win the Cup.

Hell I like watching soccer/football and it is fun playing it, but I think it is disingenuous to claim that diving and cheating is not part of the game. At least in the modern game it is as much part of the game as offsides and arguing over how the better team lost.

Igo

bionic77 said:
Isn't diving and cheating part of the game? I don't follow soccer/football religiously but I have seen enough Champions League and World Cup matches to know that diving is just part of the sport. Players are taught to dive and to try to get away with anything that leads to victory. Can you honestly name me one team that plays the "right way" and is successful doing it? I remember when Turkey played Brazil (back when they were on top) to a standstill in the Korean/Japanese World Cup and during a very close match a Turkish player kicked Ronaldhino who of course dove and pretended that he was kicked in the face getting the Turkish player the red card and ultimately helping Brazil to win the game. And yet Ronaldhino showed no shame after the match and no one remembers it anymore because Brazil went on to win the Cup.

Hell I like watching soccer/football and it is fun playing it, but I think it is disingenuous to claim that diving and cheating is not part of the game. At least in the modern game it is as much part of the game as offsides and arguing over how the better team lost.

It's really unfortunate but FIFA will never rule on diving outright. At this point it's like diving is entrenched into the blood of certain footballing countries that there simply isn't room for change. I thought UEFA might have been on the right track with banning Eduardo for his blatant dive but then they said it was a one off. After that he was rightly not banned.

This is my favorite dive. It's relatively simple and not all that important but his face and the camera placement are perfect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ochcQ56Es

chico said:
Karma is a bitch!

maybe Ireland should also replay this match where they were given this ridiculous penalty?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf9fx4ipF4Q

If Karma was a bitch Barca would have lost the CL final to Man United due to a triplet of ridiculous non decisions.

A replay is pointless though. It solves nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom