• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

radioheadrule83 said:
Mistimed kick and a horrible clash, but yeah, obviously not malicious. I don't understand what Wenger wants from refs when he says they're not protected enough. Does he think other teams should walk on egg shells for them?

It does happen to Arsenal more than most teams though, unlucky I guess.

Timbuktu said:
It does happen to Arsenal more than most teams though, unlucky I guess.

It's purely coincidence imo, as all of the leg breaks they've suffered are shit tackles, rather than "FUCKING DO HIM" tackles. If anyone watched the match, they'd have seen Stoke play a fair and good game with no bad challenges. Again, this seems to be something that happens generally, sad but it's no sign about teams playing again Arsenal

Dibbz

Most teams do go into Arsenal matches with the go rough against them and don't let them through at all attitude. It's not a coincidence that these happen to Arsenal. They can't out play Arsenal so they try to stop them playing by going in for rash tackles.

Igo

It's not like Arsenal don't make terrible challenges though. I think there was a pretty bad one on Park in the United game that didn't even get a yellow for some reason.

It's just bad luck I suppose.

NoRéN

radioheadrule83 said:
Mistimed kick and a horrible clash, but yeah, obviously not malicious. I don't understand what Wenger wants from refs when he says they're not protected enough. Does he think other teams should walk on egg shells for them?

Wenger just loves to run his mouth. Horrible tackle but it was not intentional.

Watching the Chelsea/ManCity game on the old DVR and why the devil are the Chelsea fans booing Bridge? So it's cool to boo a guy that was cheated on by his girl, but it's also cool to cheer a guy for cheating on his wife and screwing his teammates girlfriend. What's wrong with Chelsea fans?

NoRéN

sportzhead said:
Watching the Chelsea/ManCity game on the old DVR and why the devil are the Chelsea fans booing Bridge? So it's cool to boo a guy that was cheated on by his girl, but it's also cool to cheer a guy for cheating on his wife and screwing his teammates girlfriend. What's wrong with Chelsea fans?

Yeah, Chelsea fans suck. I mean, look:

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Igo said:
It's not like Arsenal don't make terrible challenges though. I think there was a pretty bad one on Park in the United game that didn't even get a yellow for some reason.

It's just bad luck I suppose.

The thing about Arsenal is that they always try to walk it in

Dibbz said:
Most teams do go into Arsenal matches with the go rough against them and don't let them through at all attitude. It's not a coincidence that these happen to Arsenal. They can't out play Arsenal so they try to stop them playing by going in for rash tackles.

I don't know if this theory rides completely. It doesn't really work in a "we can't outplay them, so let's out-muscle them" way - because the same methods are used by many small clubs against bigger opposition. Arsenal aren't particularly unique in that respect. But they could be getting more physical attention because they are perceived to be one of the weaker - physically - sides in the league. That could make it a target, set out by opposition management, to physically rattle Arsenal players, and it could mean they get crunching tackles worse than Utd or Chelsea, leading to more serious injuries, like this one, and similar leg breaks received by Diaby and Eduardo in the past four years. However, it's a bit of a stretch and I think it's as much a case of coincidence and ill fate as a neat passage of causation.

Stoke play the same way against everyone. Ramsey was just unlucky - it looked like he was already going over on his ankle before Shawcross touched him. Shawcross looked as upset as anyone, plus props to Glen Whelan for making sure Ramsey didn't swallow his tongue.

Shiv47

Tim the Wiz said:
I don't know if this theory rides completely. It doesn't really work in a "we can't outplay them, so let's out-muscle them" way - because the same methods are used by many small clubs against bigger opposition. Arsenal aren't particularly unique in that respect. But they could be getting more physical attention because they are perceived to be one of the weaker - physically - sides in the league. That could make it a target, set out by opposition management, to physically rattle Arsenal players, and it could mean they get crunching tackles worse than Utd or Chelsea, leading to more serious injuries, like this one, and similar leg breaks received by Diaby and Eduardo in the past four years. However, it's a bit of a stretch and I think it's as much a case of coincidence and ill fate as a neat passage of causation.

Yeah, but it's been reported ad nauseum in the English press over the last few seasons that Arsenal "don't like it up 'em," and that becomes an ingrained mentality. Stoke's own Ricardo Fuller said before the Stoke-Arsenal FA Cup game last month that they'd beat Arsenal by kicking them off the pitch, essentially. Three major injuries in four years is not coincidence, it comes from teams knowing they can go that much harder because against Arsenal, it's okay. Shawcross's tackle was reckless but the least malicious of the three, and he's the guy with previous history, having broken Francis Jeffers' ankle with a bad tackle. At what point does this not become bad luck? Does a fourth guy have to break a leg? A fifth?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Maurice Edu has cheered me up. :) Thank you Rangers for a job well done, I can go to hospital on Tuesday with a smile on my face.

Reno7728

Thank God Torres is back, Benayoun too, but goddam Aurelio is made of Glass

All hail the redemption of the football thread!

Noshino

I friend told me that due to snow, there is a chance the Fiorentina vs Bayern match might be postponed, anyone knows anything about that? :C

Dibbz

5-0 for Arsenal. Amazing game and everyone on the pitch played really well. 20 minutes into the 2nd half was worrying since Porto were breaking through our defense and Sol was looking really slow and clumsy. Nasri played like a captain today, even though he wasn't, and he is the reason we went on and closed the door on Porto.

Well played to everyone I just worry about Sol but I'm sure he'll continue to work hard. The 1st leg must have been still in his head but with this tie behind now hopefully from here on out he will be a bit more composed.

Plasma

Banned
Just got back from the Arsenal match, can't believe we won 5-0, thought we'd edge it with 1 or 2 goals.

Super Nicklas Bendtner :D

Noshino

Kozak said:
Easy question.

seriously, what the hell man!

The Viola deserved it, they were exceptional in both matches, they didn't lose because of quality, but rather because of the referees

Fuck Bayern

Blablurn said:
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERN

>:C

Kozak

Banned
Dibbz said:
5-0 for Arsenal. Amazing game and everyone on the pitch played really well. 20 minutes into the 2nd half was worrying since Porto were breaking through our defense and Sol was looking really slow and clumsy. Nasri played like a captain today, even though he wasn't, and he is the reason we went on and closed the door on Porto.

Well played to everyone I just worry about Sol but I'm sure he'll continue to work hard. The 1st leg must have been still in his head but with this tie behind now hopefully from here on out he will be a bit more composed.

I thought Sol played well. Portos strikers cant get past him. He's literally a moving stone block...

Dibbz

Kozak said:
I thought Sol played well. Portos strikers cant get past him. He's literally a moving stone block...
He has his qualities but players can pass around him and even over him and he is left standing. I wish we had two Vermaelen's that guy is the definition of central defence, he's got pace, reads passes really well and is strong.

Bentner got his goals handed to him by Arshavin. Really wanted Arshavin to get his own since he was working so hard. Credit to Bentner for always getting into goal scoring positions though.

Watched the Bayern highlights. Robben's strike was crazy.

defel

Did anyone see the post match analysis on Sky? You'd had thought that Arsenal had just lost judging by the way they were talking about Arsenal.

NoRéN

defel1111 said:
Did anyone see the post match analysis on Sky? You'd had thought that Arsenal had just lost judging by the way they were talking about Arsenal.
The only person that ever gets featured on Sky that you should be listening to is Andy Gray. Dude called it before the match. Said something along the lines of Bentner having a bad week but that this was the perfect game to bounce back and not be surprised if he got a goal or two.

Kozak

Banned
defel1111 said:

Arsenal didn't lose but I wouldn't say it was a perfect game for them though..They made way too many defensive errors and gave away quite a few good opportunities to Porto. Fortunately for Arsenal, Hulk ruined most of them.

Messi

I can't take anything away from United, they came to win last night and boy did they do it.

Also HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Madrid. 200 Million for what?

What a fantastic miss by real, when they hit the post on an open goal. But even better was lyons easy as pie miss. He must have miss kicked it.

I have a really uneasy feeling about stugart vs Barca next week. Barca are currently struggling a bit in the league, even through they are still on top, we have thrown away a 5 point lead recently. But my hope is that barca were playing for a draw in the first leg (which they were). Now that dani alves is back in defence, he seems to change barcas flow for the better. We should be able to win but you never know. I all comes down to wether of not ibra shows up on the night, which does not look likely. Sadly.

ugh.... not to make excuses but we just played like shit in the second half.

We were also missing regulars Xabi and Marcelo. We dominated the first half and played like shit the second.

Pellegrini made 3 errors in my opinion.

#1 was playing Granero over the hot Van Der Vaart and then waiting until the 60th minute to bring in Van Der Vaart

#2 was taking out Kaka and bringing in Raul, Kaka no way had a great or even good game but he still has more ability to create something out of nothing than Raul. I love Raul to death and think he is one of the greatest Strikers of all-time but he's no where near the level he was 3 or 4 years ago.

#3 was bringing in Mahmadou Diarra, he has no offensive ability I would have much rather seen Gago over him.

I mean we're the joke of the futbol world no doubt, being knocked out by Alcorcon in the Spanish Cup and now losing to Lyon for what feels like 20th fucking time people have a reason to laugh but anyone who realistically thought this Madrid team was going to dominate with an entirely new team and manager from last year really doesn't know futbol. Were we expected to reach much further than Quarter's absolutely but at the same time a project doesn't solve itself in 6 months. Madrid's problem is that the Manager position is like a revolving door, they need to stick with Pellegrini as long as possible. We've been through so many managers over the years enough is enough.

With Xabi Alonso out last night just shows though that our biggest need is a central mid-fielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom