• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Tet

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
South Carolina.

wtfisthisshit.gif

I was just curious to how people liked the game or if anyone went. Traffic was crazy downtown.

As far as the field, as a Panther fan I'm not surprised it was a mess. I doubt anyone remembers but Panther fans, but the field was coming up in ribbons one day in Dan Morgan's rookie year. He was about ready to sack Brett Favre when Favre stiffarmed Morgan away. The field gave way and his leg snapped in two, it was nasty.

For some reason the field has been a constant issue in that stadium.

Hyphen

Lunchbox said:
ARSEanal drops points
Munich lose, robben injured

:D

Arsenal - Drawing at Birmingham could prove to be a point gained. It's conceding in injury which hurts.
Robben - He's quite injury prone anyway, so that's no surprise.

Ashes

Banned
Hyphen said:
Arsenal - Drawing at Birmingham could prove to be a point gained. It's conceding in injury which hurts.
Robben - He's quite injury prone anyway, so that's no surprise.

huh? care to clarify...?

I caught the MLS First Kick game the other night, and it looks like Seattle is going to be beastly this year. The Philadelphia Union didn't look too bad, considering it was their first game in the league.

Overall play looked great compared to what I'm used to seeing in the MLS, though it still infuriates me how bad american players are when it comes to fouls. Its like an entirely different game compared to the graceful euro players. American referee's need to call this shit or we'll have players making it on the national team, only to get sent off before half in international play.

NoRéN

sw33tclyde said:
I caught the MLS First Kick game the other night, and it looks like Seattle is going to be beastly this year. The Philadelphia Union didn't look too bad, considering it was their first game in the league.

Overall play looked great compared to what I'm used to seeing in the MLS, though it still infuriates me how bad american players are when it comes to fouls. Its like an entirely different game compared to the graceful euro players. American referee's need to call this shit or we'll have players making it on the national team, only to get sent off before half in international play.
Michael Bradley in the Gold Cup Final '07
Kljestan against Brazil in the Confederations Cup.

Exactly. I don't mean to say that MLS play is more physical, I think its more of an aggression/lack of respect sort of thing. MLS players get away with horrible tackles, kicking the ball away after a foul is given, etc etc. Maybe we need to import some ref's to sort this shit out.

NoRéN

sw33tclyde said:
Exactly. I don't mean to say that MLS play is more physical, I think its more of an aggression/lack of respect sort of thing. MLS players get away with horrible tackles, kicking the ball away after a foul is given, etc etc. Maybe we need to import some ref's to sort this shit out.
It has to do with the Refs as well. I mean, no American Refs at the World Cup. That is a shame.

Hyphen

Ashes1396 said:
huh? care to clarify...?

Considering Birmingham's home record this season, it was always going to be a tough match. So a draw may not end up being a bad result come the end of the season. Obviously nobody knows how the season will end... yet.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hyphen said:
Considering Birmingham's home record this season, it was always going to be a tough match. So a draw may not end up being a bad result come the end of the season. Obviously nobody knows how the season will end... yet.
On one hand you have a good argument as both Man Utd and Chelsea drew at Saint Andrews this season. But it's the run-in and since you're aiming to be champions then ipso facto every dropped points is a bad result. You think Man Utd will visit Man City later this season with the mentality that a draw is a "gained point" because Arsenal and Chelsea already lost there? Or you think Alex Ferguson still won't consider the loss at Burnley dropped points even if Man Utd win the league?

Personally, I consider there to be no 'bad' results before November, after
that marker any defeat is a poor result, and from February onwards nothing less than a win will do.

dyonPT

slbraga.JPG

slbraga2.JPG

Hyphen

Charred Greyface said:
On one hand you have a good argument as both Man Utd and Chelsea drew at Saint Andrews this season. But it's the run-in and since you're aiming to be champions then ipso facto every dropped points is a bad result. You think Man Utd will visit Man City later this season with the mentality that a draw is a "gained point" because Arsenal and Chelsea already lost there? Or you think Alex Ferguson still won't consider the loss at Burnley dropped points even if Man Utd win the league? Personally, I consider there to be no 'bad' results before November...

So because you consider there to be no 'bad' result before November, then Utd's loss to Burnley in August isn't a 'bad' result. Is that right?

Charred Greyface said:
Personally, I consider there to be no 'bad' results before November, after that marker any defeat is a poor result, and from February onwards nothing less than a win will do.

Considering that a team could gain as much as 30 points between August and November, I cannot totally agree with your opinion. Nevertheless, I understand what you mean.

Shouldn't be surprised there are so many 'Big 4' supporters in this thread :D

Those are some amazing pictures from the Benfica game, thanks for posting them :)

Hyphen said:
:D
Heh, is that a bad thing?

Well, it can be seen as a bad thing if you're not actually from those cities, and you're supporting them because they're successful. But thats a whole other topic in itself. :lol

faridmon

Chriswok said:
Shouldn't be surprised there are so many 'Big 4' supporters in this thread :D

Those are some amazing pictures from the Benfica game, thanks for posting them :)
glad someone finally acknowledges Everton as big 4 :D

Ashes

Banned
Chriswok said:
Well, it can be seen as a bad thing if you're not actually from those cities, and you're supporting them because they're successful. But thats a whole other topic in itself. :lol

urgh... fandom and geography.... support your local team...means that I have to support Millwal FC... fuck that...

and I never get why there 'appears' to be more manchester city fans in manchester...

rvy

Banned
Dark Machine said:
S'up Benfica. You ready to be mad?
FernandoTorres.jpg

'Cos we're bout to style on you!
Bitch, please. You have no idea what you're in for.

xb9vsg.gif

10ngxz8.gif

14w3yis.gif

2zxo7jq.gif

2cpausw.gif

No idea. Need I remind of the last time we beat your ass on the CL?

Plasma

Banned
Haha can't believe we managed to get a draw out of Barcelona, we played awful for most of the game but then got right back in it.

Second tie will be interesting because they're missing Puyol and Pique, come on Arsenal :D

ChuBoi

Banned
Plasma said:
Haha can't believe we managed to get a draw out of Barcelona, we played awful for most of the game but then got right back in it.

Second tie will be interesting because they're missing Puyol and Pique, come on Arsenal :D

Disastrous call by the ref for the penalty.

Plasma

Banned
ChuBoi said:
Disastrous call by the ref for the penalty.

Rubbish, Fabregas was about to score and Puyol just knocks him over, it was a goal scoring opportunity in the penalty box and he was fouled.

ChuBoi

Banned
Plasma said:
Rubbish, Fabregas was about to score and Puyol just knocks him over, it was a goal scoring opportunity in the penalty box and he was fouled.

I don't think you watched the replay. Fabregas actually kicked the back of Puyol's leg and fell over. Puyol wasn't even behind Fabregas to push him over, he Puyol beat him to the ball after he brought it down. If that happened in open play, and Puyol went down as well, most refs would actually give the foul to Barca since Puyol was the one that got kicked. Even Graham Poll wouldn't have given that penalty :lol . I laughed when I saw the reverse angle replay because Fabs actually looked at the refree while doing a mid-air twist :lol :lol :lol

And even if that's not the case, there wasn't enough there to warrant a penalty in a Champs Lg match. I would give the ref the benefit of the doubt to the ref it this was EPL or La Liga, but you dont give suspect penalties away in the Champs.

I really dislike it when refs destroy great games for us neutrals.

Puyol Red Card

Watch it again. Fabregas has a clear opportunity to shoot on goal, Puyol prevents him from doing so by wrapping Fab's leg between his own. Whether or not it was intentional doesn't matter, it is clearly a foul in the box, and a penalty was the only answer.

rvy

Banned
Why was Babel sent off? Anyway, fuck you guys. You haven't been doing shit, we're only losing because you got a lucky on a free-kick.

rvy said:
Why was Babel sent off? Anyway, fuck you guys. You haven't been doing shit, we're only losing because you got a lucky on a free-kick.

Babel got sent off for stroking Luisao's face. The ref is incompetent, you lot have been diving all over the show and he's buying everything you're selling. Still, hopefully Torres or Gerrard will annoy Luisao or Garcia enough to get them sent off, then we'll have a good game again.

Also, U Mad? 'Cos we're stylin' on you!

rvy

Banned
Dark Machine said:
Babel got sent off for stroking Luisao's face. The ref is incompetent, you lot have been diving all over the show and he's buying everything you're selling. Still, hopefully Torres or Gerrard will annoy Luisao or Garcia enough to get them sent off, then we'll have a good game again.

Also, U Mad? 'Cos we're stylin' on you!
How the fuck are you stylin', you haven't left your end of the field for almost an hour.

rvy said:
How the fuck are you stylin', you haven't left your end of the field for almost an hour.

WE only had 10 men. That's how.

OK on the penalties. They were penalties, Carra should be dropped for being stupid enough to handball there, Insua got over-excited and I'm not sure what exactly he was thinking when he kicked Aimar. Babel sending off was ridiculous, as were the multiple bookings for Liverpool for innocuous challenges, the Reina one in particular was astounding, he wasted a grand total of 6 seconds of time and got booked for it.

I have no problem with the referee adopting a strict policy as long as he's consistent, tonight he wasn't, continous foul play by Benfica defenders on Torres in particular went unpunished, as did repeated petulance from Benfica players, Liverpool players responded and of course were promptly booked. I'm glad that referee won't be refereeing again. (he won €6million in the Swedish lottery yesterday apparently).

Also, I'd like to ask if UEFA would think about banning teams from Mainland Europe for riots and flares etc. Inter a few years ago was bad with flares being thrown at Dida. Now we have these flares thrown at the goal-line officials tonight. If that happened in England, there would be outcries of "HOOLIGANISM! BAN THE ENGLISH! RAAAARGH!" from UEFA, I wonder if Benfica will miraculously escape punishment...

Regardless, prepare yourselves for next week, at Anfield, there shall be the Reckoning.

rvy

Banned
Dark Machine said:
WE only had 10 men. That's how.

OK on the penalties. They were penalties, Carra should be dropped for being stupid enough to handball there, Insua got over-excited and I'm not sure what exactly he was thinking when he kicked Aimar. Babel sending off was ridiculous, as were the multiple bookings for Liverpool for innocuous challenges, the Reina one in particular was astounding, he wasted a grand total of 6 seconds of time and got booked for it.

I have no problem with the referee adopting a strict policy as long as he's consistent, tonight he wasn't, continous foul play by Benfica defenders on Torres in particular went unpunished, as did repeated petulance from Benfica players, Liverpool players responded and of course were promptly booked. I'm glad that referee won't be refereeing again. (he won €6million in the Swedish lottery yesterday apparently).

Also, I'd like to ask if UEFA would think about banning teams from Mainland Europe for riots and flares etc. Inter a few years ago was bad with flares being thrown at Dida. Now we have these flares thrown at the goal-line officials tonight. If that happened in England, there would be outcries of "HOOLIGANISM! BAN THE ENGLISH! RAAAARGH!" from UEFA, I wonder if Benfica will miraculously escape punishment...

Regardless, prepare yourselves for next week, at Anfield, there shall be the Reckoning.
No, we're going to pay up, like we should.

Anyway, couple of penalties that could have been given, but it's alright, the Aimar one was hardly visible for the ref. Also, nice diving there, Steve. It even got you a goal. Kudos.

dyonPT

hey Rvy, check this out :)

liver1.JPG

liver2.JPG

It will be a very dificult second hand...liverpool at home is very strong...let's wait and see =)

rvy said:
No, we're going to pay up, like we should.

Anyway, couple of penalties that could have been given, but it's alright, the Aimar one was hardly visible for the ref. Also, nice diving there, Steve. It even got you a goal. Kudos.

He's been doing that for years in the Premier League. Only its not diving; its tactical redeployment of the body to win a freekick. He had the balls to complain about 'foreigners' diving all the time, he's probably the worst player in the Premier League for it now!:lol

Plasma

Banned
Chriswok said:
He's been doing that for years in the Premier League. Only its not diving; its tactical redeployment of the body to win a freekick. He had the balls to complain about 'foreigners' diving all the time, he's probably the worst player in the Premier League for it now!:lol

I like the other excuse as well, the foreigners made them start diving :p

FFChris said:
Did you even watch the replays? :lol

Also, Fabre-ass? arse-anal? Wow.

After lots of replay I still dont think it was a penalty, but yeah that guy is pretty retarded. It's now like it matters anyway, Arsenal will get their ass handed to them in Spain, especially without Cesc and Arshavin.

rvy

Banned
Chriswok said:
Seriously though, have you seen the dive? It's ridiculous. More ridiculous is how the ref didn't book him.

I could argue that we got robbed out of 3 penalties, but Babel was sent off for no good reason, so... bad ref for both teams.

dyonPT said:
hey Rvy, check this out :)
It will be a very dificult second hand...liverpool at home is very strong...let's wait and see =)
Fuck yeah. :D

We're just used to the cheating scouse doing the dirty and getting away with it, since he's been doing it for so long now. Its like he goes

"Oh we're 0-0 and only a minute left, better fall over and score a freekick."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom