• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

midwestern_stylings said:
Great win, just what was needed after the semi's. Danny Rose's goal was fucking spectacular, hopefully it's the start of a great career for him. Gomes best shot stopper in the prem? I think so. Just need Man City to drop some points now :mad:

If there's one thing Gomes is GREAT at (he's a great keeper anyways) it's stopping Darren Bent penalty kicks! :lol

Foob

Is there any ways for me to pay to stream premiere league games? Or the world cup when that comes around?

If it's on ipad that's a huge plus..

moojito

I read the book thing on hfdinfo there. A terrible thing indeed. I was pretty young when it happened, so don't have too great a memory of it, other than seeing all the ambulances on the pitch on tv.

The mean reason I looked it up to be honest was to see what this "Justice" was, exactly. I'm fairly sure this is a topic that should probably be left well alone, but it seems to boil down to putting two old guys in jail for making some bad decisions at work. The repercussions of those decisions were grave, but it seems to be more about some angry people having something to focus their anger on. If they go to jail, what then?

I doubt there's any right answer to it. As I said, a terrible thing.

Blackhead

Redarse
ChuBoi said:
Shay Given. I'm a Utd supporter but bloody hell Given can stop anything. Shame he's never been at a top European team his whole career. I want to see Given vs. Messi.
Newcastle might not be a top European team but they did play in the Champions League last decade and Given even got to face Barcelona and Inter Milan (he conceded 11 goals over the four matches).

moojito said:
I read the book thing on hfdinfo there. A terrible thing indeed. I was pretty young when it happened, so don't have too great a memory of it, other than seeing all the ambulances on the pitch on tv.

The mean reason I looked it up to be honest was to see what this "Justice" was, exactly. I'm fairly sure this is a topic that should probably be left well alone, but it seems to boil down to putting two old guys in jail for making some bad decisions at work. The repercussions of those decisions were grave, but it seems to be more about some angry people having something to focus their anger on. If they go to jail, what then?

I doubt there's any right answer to it. As I said, a terrible thing.

... if someone commits manslaughter doesn't sending that person to jail constitute justice? Even worse was that the police tried to cover up their faults (as always ) and blamed the supporters as being responsible for all that happened

elseanio

I think it's more about knowing the truth, rather than a manhunt to send people to jail. It wasn't just bad decisions at work, the police lied to media and in official statements to shift the blame on the fans. Why should this be allowed? Why can't, after 21 years, people know the truth?

The main case is Kevin Williams. His mother is certain he died after 3:15pm, which in the inquest was a cut off point. All the ambulances that weren't let on the field didn't matter, because all the 96 were said to be dead by this time. She believes Kevin should get another inquest into how/why he died, as it wasn't the initial crush.

As I said, though, things are finally moving forward. A panel has been set up to go through a vast amount of 'secret' documents (over 2 million pages..) that have yet to be made public. Hopefully some substantial evidence will be found that there was a massive cover up, and the families and survivors will get the truth.

NoRéN

Ataturk said:
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I think it's a case of once bitten, twice shy. Definitely encouraging news though, it can only be a good thing really.
As long as teams are continued to be sold to "businessmen" I can't see things changing. What could Gillet and Hicks possibly know about football?
"Hey, one of them European soccer teams is for sale. Let's buy it, sit back, relax and watch the cash roll in."

Ataturk

NoRéN said:
As long as teams are continued to be sold to "businessmen" I can't see things changing. What could Gillet and Hicks possibly know about football?
"Hey, one of them European soccer teams is for sale. Let's buy it, sit back, relax and watch the cash roll in."
Well, if the new owners actually have the capital to build the new stadium and give Rafa some money to spend things should be better, I'm not expecting another Abramovich, nor do I want one.

The new chairman (who's a Chelsea fan :/) appointed to organise the sale of the club has promised to only sell to buyers who will pledge to build a new stadium. It's a good development, but I'm not celebrating just yet.

NoRéN

Ataturk said:
Well, if the new owners actually have the capital to build the new stadium and give Rafa some money to spend things should be better, I'm not expecting another Abramovich, nor do I want one.

The new chairman (who's a Chelsea fan :/) appointed to organise the sale of the club has promised to only sell to buyers who will pledge to build a new stadium. It's a good development, but I'm not celebrating just yet.
Yeah, just saw on Sky today. I really hope it goes well.
...what's wrong with being a Chelsea fan? :D

Ataturk

NoRéN said:
Yeah, just saw on Sky today. I really hope it goes well.
...what's wrong with being a Chelsea fan? :D
Nothing on its own, but it just doesn't sit right with me. He could be sabotaging the club for all we know. :lol It's only temporary anyway.

faridmon

Late but, Bloody Aston Villa, always score against us at injury time, always.

bloody gutted as we could have won if Jagielka and Howard weren't clumsy.

faridmon

midwestern_stylings said:
Spurs v chelsea tomorrow. not feeling to confident (injury's and third game this week) about this one, but it's still at white heart lane so there is always hope! :D
Spurs fan? They played well against Arsenal,so there is a good chance of them doing well against Chelski.

faridmon said:
Spurs fan? They played well against Arsenal,so there is a good chance of them doing well against Chelski.

Yup, 23 now and started to support spurs in my single digit days when watching old repeats of Glenn Hoddle. My dad supports Millwall :lol
Yeah I do hope we can put in another good result, just need a little more luck and grit to go our way.

-viper-

Banned
gigapower said:
footballthread.com
2pt9edx.jpg

Aspiring

You Poms will probably hate me for this but i really hope that fucking spoiled twat Rooney breaks his ankle or leg and misses the world cup. How on earth did he not get booked, yet that performance that he dished up went unnoticed? He was watching the ref the whole time, and once a card came out, hoped up at 100 miles an hour and raced back into position. You could even see his facial expression turn from pain to nothing. What a fucking dog and should of been carded for diving.

Ashes

Banned
lighten up.... :lol

yep that was a little too obvious. But he was being fouled the entire first half. He looked over at the ref, and 'yep' job done, then ran off like a prized horse. I don't see how it wasn't a foul or a dive by Rooney though. Do you support Chelsea or Man city or do you just dislike Utd?

Deadman

Aspiring said:
You Poms will probably hate me for this but i really hope that fucking spoiled twat Rooney breaks his ankle or leg and misses the world cup. How on earth did he not get booked, yet that performance that he dished up went unnoticed? He was watching the ref the whole time, and once a card came out, hoped up at 100 miles an hour and raced back into position. You could even see his facial expression turn from pain to nothing. What a fucking dog and should of been carded for diving.

Should have been booked for one of his tackles, but the rest isnt confined to rooney at all. Go back and watch messi's goal against madrid and you will see him do the exact same thing. He rolls around in pain and then as soon as the free kick is taken quickly hes up and sprinting at the madrid defense.

Hoping someone is grievously injured is bad too.

Ashes

Banned
@ Cartoon: We'll see if they slip up in a couple of hours. And never discount the final day to slip up. Even though they have a relatively easy fixture at home.

Aspiring

Ashes1396 said:
lighten up.... :lol

yep that was a little too obvious. But he was being fouled the entire first half. He looked over at the ref, and 'yep' job done, then ran off like a prized horse. I don't see how it wasn't a foul or a dive by Rooney though. Do you support Chelsea or Man city or do you just dislike Utd?

The thing that annoys me is just HOW obvious it was. The fact that he was just waiting annoyed me. It was a foul, dont get me wrong, but it was no worse than the one that he did in the first half which should have been booked. At least Kompany actually went for the ball, unlike Rooney. And i do support Chelsea, but that has nothing to do with it. We have won anyway :lol

Deadman said:
Should have been booked for one of his tackles, but the rest isnt confined to rooney at all. Go back and watch messi's goal against madrid and you will see him do the exact same thing. He rolls around in pain and then as soon as the free kick is taken quickly hes up and sprinting at the madrid defense.

Hoping someone is grievously injured is bad too.

Your right it is, but i just get so annoyed at seeing top players being untouchable. You foul someone, you get booked. Also dont do something so obvious, as it makes yourself and the game look terrible. For the most part football is a spot of good sportsmanship, stuff like what Rooney did is not in the spirit and shows he is a spoiled twat.

Anyway cant wait for Chelsea to beat Spurs 3-0 and win the Premier League. Also hoep Chail scores for Everton!

moojito

That must have been a bet they had going on or something.

Anyhoo, on the topic of blatant cheating, nothing will ever top this:

rivaldo.jpg

I still get annoyed whenever I see that.

Ashes

Banned
Okay folks here we go. Spurs v Chelsea. Spurs fans were supporting united in the morning, we did you a favour and its time to return the favour. City were within fifteen seconds of doing it for Chelsea. Damn close match... fifteen seconds... jeez...:D

Deadman

Aspiring said:
And i do support Chelsea, but that has nothing to do with it. We have won anyway :lol

Anyway cant wait for Chelsea to beat Spurs 3-0 and win the Premier League. Also hoep Chail scores for Everton!

:D

Ashes

Banned
you guys played outstanding... well done.

1. Chelsea 35 54 77
2. Man Utd 35 51 76
3. Arsenal 34 40 71
4. Tottenham 34 28 64
5. Man City 34 27 62
6. Liverpool 34 21 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom