• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

6dqr2o.png

Holy shit, apparently Henry has signed a 'pre-contract' with the New York Red Bulls. Just saw a tidbit of news on the ESPN ticker, did a quick search on google and this turned up - source

Reports from Spain suggest that speculation linking Barcelona star Thierry Henry with a move to New York Red Bulls is very firmly rooted in fact and that, furthermore, the Frenchman has signed a pre-contract with the MLS side.

While France Football announced in its 6th April edition that Henry would be moving to the United States, there had been little official confirmation. If the pre-contract report is confirmed though it would not be a surprise as a move to New York has been mooted for months.

Henry has enjoyed less and less first team football at the Camp Nou and with coach Josep Guardiola lining up moves for Valencia duo Juan Mata and David Villa respectively, the former Arsenal striker was looking at becoming almost a permanent fixture on the bench next season.

If Henry does indeed make the move to MLS, he will be the biggest European star since David Beckham to head across the Atlantic.

I hope it happens!

Edit: I misread, it hasn't been confirmed that he's signed a pre-contract at all.

faridmon

Has Blackpool gootten into PL yet, or the Play-off final is still not played yet?

Comeon Coleman, he is going to be fantastic for us next season :D

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
kikanny said:
VIVA BARCAAAA!!!

I actually feel a little bit sorry for Real Madrid. Finishing the season with 96 points and coming in second. That can't happen too often :lol .

Looks like AC Milan have got rid of Leonardo aswell. I wonder if they can afford a replacement this time.

NoRéN

Saiyar said:
I actually feel a little bit sorry for Real Madrid. Finishing the season with 96 points and coming in second. That can't happen too often :lol .
And, they spent all that money and won nothing. While Atletico took home some silverware. I thought Liverpool's 86 points and coming in 2nd was bad.
Saiyar said:
Looks like AC Milan have got rid of Leonardo aswell. I wonder if they can afford a replacement this time.
Announced on Friday.

ShadyMilkman said:
we gonna have an official World Cup thread?
yes.

Ikkarus

LRB1983 said:
And hope tomorrow or next Villa and Cesc will be announced.

Keep away from Cesc!
Oh who am I kidding we have sold Henry, Overmars, Petit and Giovanni van Bronckhorst to you in the past it's inevitable that Fabregas will move on, I mean Arsenal havn't won a single trophy for 5 yeas yet Barca have won countless trophies in the past seasons. =(

Only domestic game left I want to watch now is the Champions League final and then it's World Cup time. :D

Congratulations to Barca on winning La Liga.

Saiyar said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2010/05/is_swift_triesman_action_enoug.html
The FA proving once again that they are their own worst enemy. At the point you have to ask if they really want to host the 2018 World Cup.

Damn that shitty newspaper (I use the term newspaper loosely while talking about the Mail). Oh and a big thank you goes out to Melissa Jacobs! Thanks for recording shit so you could make a quick buck and make a 15 second name for yourself. I'm sure football fans will LOVE it when they see you coming around...

faridmon

just heard the fenerbahce celebration from a friend of mine
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
i was laughing all day today. Bunch of dirtbags.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Anyone have a live stream link and time where I can watch the UEFA finale?
Don't have cable :(

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
sw33tclyde said:
Yeah for the first time ever futbol is being played on network tv, no cable needed. :)

hatersgonnahate.gif

I'm just waiting for someone to be an angel and provide a great link.
:)

giga

France's Thierry Henry has signed a deal to play for the New York Red Bulls of the MLS, according to media reports.

Germany captain Michael Ballack ruled out of World Cup

Germany captain Michael Ballack has been ruled out of this summer's World Cup because of the right ankle injury he suffered in Saturday's FA Cup final.

The 33-year-old Chelsea midfielder has made 98 appearances for his country and played in the last two World Cups.

A scan showed damage to two ligaments but it is expected to be eight weeks before he can resume training and Germany's first match is on 13 June.

"It's bitter to get a diagnosis like that before the World Cup," he said.

Ballack was injured after a challenge by Portsmouth's Kevin-Prince Boateng.

Ironically, Boateng could be part of the Ghana squad that will face Germany in Group D at the finals in South Africa.

The former Tottenham player was born in Germany and represented German youth teams but chose to play for Ghana, his father's country of birth.

After Fifa removed the age limit for players who want to switch national allegiance, the 23-year-old was cleared to appear for Ghana in the finals and has been named in a provisional 30-man squad.

The Portsmouth midfielder's late tackle in the 35th minute of Chelsea's Cup final victory at Wembley led to Ballack limping off.

An early X-ray at the stadium showed no broken bones but a further scan in Germany on Monday highlighted the full extent of the problem.

The German Football Federation said Ballack's right ankle will be placed in a cast and he will have to wear a special shoe for two weeks after the cast is removed.

A Chelsea statement confirmed: "The German national team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt, estimates the earliest possible return to training for the player is in eight weeks."

Ballack, who joined Chelsea in 2006 after four years with Bayern Munich, sustained a tear of one ankle ligament and a partial tear of another.

"There's naturally a lot of disappointment," he said. "But that's football. That happens. Life goes on."

Germany coach Joachim Loew said: "We were all naturally shocked this morning when we got the news. I talked to Michael. He's deeply disappointed. He put all his energy and power into playing in this World Cup.
Injured German Captain Michael Ballack

"He's near his 100th cap. That would have been a match in Frankfurt against Bosnia.

"That's an immense disappointment for him to not be able to play in this World Cup."

Loew hopes the setback might galvanise his squad as the World Cup unfolds and added: "I called the team together and spoke with the team and passed along the information.

"It's very, very unfortunate for us. But it shows we have to pull all our strength together and look forward. We've got a lot of young players.

"We've now got to get to that point that our younger players get this self-confidence and can grew into the roles."

Boateng's half-brother Jerome, the Hamburg defender, is in the German provisional squad and the coach has requested that he is not targeted by fans and the media.

"I have spoken with Jerome Boateng," Loew explained. "I told him that we absolutely unreservedly stand by him. He is a member of the family.

"I ask everyone not to drag him into this."

Ballack impressed for Germany during the 2008 European Championship, when they were eventually beaten 1-0 in the final by Spain, and was considered a key figure for them again this summer.

The Germans begin their campaign against Australia on 13 June before matches against Serbia on 18 June and Ghana on 23 June.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8684774.stm

I think that's it for KP Boateng in Germany..

faridmon

sw33tclyde said:
Euros coming to MLS?

We need talent to improve the game over here, don't be stingy.
if he is improving your league, then fair enough. i thought you said stop hating our league games, which is boring.:lol

and i am really gutted for Ballack :( just to think that this is the last WC he is going to play.
hopefully you get well soon Balack :(

NoRéN

HBP said:
Thierry Henry to the NY Red Bulls?? WTF

I can't believe that lol.
What's so unbelievable? It's been talked about for years now.

Now, what everyone should be asking is, what are his motives to play here? If he is here to earn some cash while looking for more play time and help increase the MLS profile, cool! If here is here to make alot of cash and thinks that going to an "inferior" league means he automatically with dominate...

Kozak

Banned
NoRéN said:
What's so unbelievable? It's been talked about for years now.

Now, what everyone should be asking is, what are his motives to play here? If he is here to earn some cash while looking for more play time and help increase the MLS profile, cool! If here is here to make alot of cash and thinks that going to an "inferior" league means he automatically with dominate...

TBH I think he will "automatically" dominate

NoRéN

Kozak said:
TBH I think he will "automatically" dominate
I hope he's great here. however, ego tends to blind many a player. He won't be the first foreign player to come to MLS thinking that it will be a walk in the park. They tend to forget that they are still part of a team of 11. And, unlike England, Spain, Italy, etc, the US brings a new challenge for them: a midweek home game in NY can be followed by an away match in Los Angeles, 3000 miles away.

Messi

From the barca twitter account:

President Laporta confirms that "negotiations for Villa have begun".

If that deal requires us to sell bojan then, DO NOT WANT. That will come back to bite us in the ass in years to come, he is like a young messi. Maybe loaning him out so he can get some more first team football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom