• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

moojito

That seems odd. I thought the f-duct effect only occurred if the driver moved his arm/leg, otherwise the car worked as if it wasn't there.

Dead Man

moojito said:
That seems odd. I thought the f-duct effect only occurred if the driver moved his arm/leg, otherwise the car worked as if it wasn't there.
Maybe it conveys a small penalty in another area. Or maybe they just don't want the cockpit cluttered up with it, potentially distracting the driver.

Other than that, yeah, seems a bit redundant.

Deadman

It could be so that they can remove the "shark fin" that joins the rear wing to the bodywork?
Perhaps that helps create downforce and increases drag, which they will want to remove.

Hours later edit: There is another bonus question up, worth 2 million.

If you want to know the answer then
Its the third option

Dead Man

Deadman said:
It could be so that they can remove the "shark fin" that joins the rear wing to the bodywork?
Perhaps that helps create downforce and increases drag, which they will want to remove.

Hours later edit: There is another bonus question up, worth 2 million.

If you want to know the answer then
Its the third option
Thanks for the heads up.

Leunam

Team Input Invaluable to Indian Circuit Design

Organisers of next year’s inaugural Indian Grand Prix are hoping that input from Formula One teams into the design of the new circuit will help make it one of the most challenging and exciting on the F1 calendar.

Hermann Tilke, the architect behind several recent new circuits including Turkey and Abu Dhabi, came up with the initial design for the Indian track, but several teams were also consulted before construction began in earnest.

“We have shared the design with some of the Formula One teams to put it into their simulators, and they have come back with some recommendations on how to modify it to make it a little more exciting,” explained Mark Hughes, vice president of JPSK Sports, who has experience of other new F1 projects.

You can see the layout for the track at the link.

Deadman

At least this track seems to have some elevation change to it, rather than being airfield in the desert like all his others.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Deadman said:
At least this track seems to have some elevation change to it, rather than being airfield in the desert like all his others.

RIght. THat long straight with a V elevation change will be interesting. Looks like you come up at the top and can see all the way to the other end in the distance. Will make for some good camera angles.

And a start with a sharp turn and then a steep banked upcoming turn onto a giant straight. SHould be interesting with some outside passing to get the advantage for the next turn.

Anyone else imagine it like the drawing, with huge dropoffs on either side, Wipeout style? :lol

moojito

Aye, I have to say that one does look pretty interesting. Still waiting on a track that puts the "F1 cars generate so much downforce they could drive upside down" claim to the test, though!

When does Tilke learn that slow corners leading into long straights don't work for overtaking in F1? This is just ridiculous. Another one of his shitty layouts.

wait until the overtaking group's actual suggestions are taken into use.
slow into straights WILL lead to overtaking.

once the aero reduction happens, expect 2012, cars will be able to close, follow and drag race each other. too much money has been dumped into aero packs since their recommendations were accepted, so teams arent going to change overnight.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Nigel Mansell will join stewards for Spa

Verdict on Ferrari team orders drama will be known before Monza. Possible scenarios:
a) Fine + WCC,WDC points from Germany gone
b) Fine + WCC points from Germany gone
c) Fine only

Lord Spanky is meanwhile lobbying for something more severe.

Templar Wizard said:
wait until the overtaking group's actual suggestions are taken into use.
slow into straights WILL lead to overtaking.

once the aero reduction happens, expect 2012, cars will be able to close, follow and drag race each other. too much money has been dumped into aero packs since their recommendations were accepted, so teams arent going to change overnight.

They plan to make overtaking easier for at least 20 years now. Nothing will change.

ElyrionX

Alright guys, figured this is as good a place any to ask so..

I wish to read up more about cars and news and everything related to them. I'm referring to regular production cars and all that and not about anything to do with professional racing. What's the best site for this? Any GAF-equivalent car forum out there?

Pimpwerx

F1 back from a month off with a bang. SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS BITCHES!!! My favorite of the remaining legends. I'm so happy. :D Too bad One Piece decided to take a month off now. :lol PEACE.

Leunam

foFTK.png

Formula 1 returns after a much deserved three week break, where the season continues at the famed Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. A historic circuit well known through all of motorsport, the track is a favorite for any fan and every driver. Like the other older circuits, Spa has a very distinct design, molded by the beautiful surrounding landscape. Aside from the layout, Spa is also notorious for having some rather fickle weather conditions. The current forecast predicts rain for the weekend, but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

Notably absent this year is the Ice King, Kimi Räikkönen. Also known as the King of Spa, Räikkönen has taken four of the last five victories at this circuit. Now that he is currently competing in WRC, this years victory can fall into any drivers lap.

IQPeZ.png

pFzWo.png

World Champion Michael Schumacher, who made his debut at Spa in 1991 and won his first F1 race there in 1992, won his 52nd Grand Prix at Spa in 2001, surpassing Alain Prost's all-time record of 51 wins. Schumacher also won his seventh World Drivers' Championship title at Spa in 2004. There was no Belgian Grand Prix in 2003 because of the country's tobacco advertising laws but it returned to the schedule again in 2004.

Another notable race was the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix which took place in torrential conditions. The race was originally stopped after a massive accident involving thirteen of the twenty-two runners at the first corner. The heavy rain caused low visibility, and Michael Schumacher ran into the back of David Coulthard, an event that angered Schumacher so much he stormed into the McLaren garage to confront Coulthard, claiming he had tried to kill him. Coulthard later admitted he had been at fault, due to his own inexperience (despite it being his fourth year of Formula One) Only eight drivers were classified finishers (two of whom were five laps behind, one of whom was Coulthard) and Damon Hill secured a memorable victory ahead of team mate Ralf Schumacher to record the previously underperforming Jordan team's first Formula One win in its history, and a 1-2 to top it off.

In 2006, the FIA announced the Belgian Grand Prix would not be part of the 2006 Formula One season, since the local authorities had started major repair work in Spa-Francorchamps. The Belgian Grand Prix returned in 2007, when Kimi Räikkönen took pole position and his 3rd Belgian Grand Prix win in a row.

In 2008, McLaren's Lewis Hamilton survived a frantic last two laps in a late shower of rain to win the Belgian Grand Prix. Hamilton lost the lead to Ferrari's Kimi Räikkönen with an early spin but fought back in the closing laps to re-take the lead with two laps to go. In a dramatic climax on a soaking track, Hamilton passed Räikkönen, lost the lead again with a spin, re-took it and then saw Räikkönen crash. Ferrari's Felipe Massa took second leaving him eight points behind Hamilton. However, the stewards decided after the race retrospectively to apply a drive-through penalty for Hamilton's pass on Räikkönen (i.e. a 25-second penalty). This left Hamilton in third place behind Ferrari's Felipe Massa and BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld. The penalty cut Hamilton's lead over Massa to just two points with five races remaining. McLaren appealed the decision but were turned down as it is not permissible to appeal drive-through penalties. The stewards' decision was widely criticised, with former world champion Niki Lauda calling it "completely wrong", "stupid" and "bad for the sport".

In 2009, Bernie Ecclestone said in an interview that he would like the Belgian Grand Prix to rotate with a Grand Prix at the Nürburgring, rather than the Nürburgring rotating with the Hockenheimring.

On 23 September 2009 it was reported that the Belgian Grand Prix is in doubt after the Spa license was suspended until 2026 due to complaints made from local residents in 2007.

Onboard Lap

Onboard lap of Spa-Francorchamps courtesy of former Ferrari driver Kimi Räikkönen.

bzwzY.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Sebastien Vettel - Red-Bull Renault - 1:47.263
Most Wins
Michael Schumacher - 6
Most Wins for Constructor
Ferrari - 16

Highlights from Previous Years

Highlights from 1985 Belgian GP with commentary from Ayrton Senna
Highlights from 1962 Belgian GP
Highlights from 1978 Gelgian GP
Highlights from 2005 Belgian GP

Previous Winners

l2ZKr.png

Drivers Championship Standings

rLyGr.png

Constructors Championship Standings

fv1tF.png

NeoGAF Championship Standings

AW4C7.png

Last Minute News

Exclusive Q & A with BMW Saubers Kamui Kobayashi
Renaults Robert Kubica on Spa-Francorchamps
Barichello Milestones - 300 Grand Prix and counting
Schumacher close to being Disqualified
Mark Webber defends Red Bulls front wing development

Chris R

Fuck..... missed the latest bonus question :(

Spa, my favorite track on the calendar. Can't wait for this weekend. Hell I might even wake up early and watch the race live. 4am doesn't seem that early now that I'm waking up at 6am for work anyways, but no way in hell will I stay up all night into midnight to watch the race :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks like Button is asking Charlie to preemptively rule on cutting the top of Eau Rouge and straight line it.

Its been an issue in the past, so I think its a good idea. I think Kimi a few years ago at start did not even try to go around the turn, he went straight in the runoff and gained some 4-5 spots and went on to win the race with no penalty.

Pimpwerx

AndyD said:
Looks like Button is asking Charlie to preemptively rule on cutting the top of Eau Rouge and straight line it.

Its been an issue in the past, so I think its a good idea. I think Kimi a few years ago at start did not even try to go around the turn, he went straight in the runoff and gained some 4-5 spots and went on to win the race with no penalty.
I'm pretty sure he did it at least twice, as I complained like a whiney bitch both times. Glad someone brought it up in the driver's meeting. PEACE.

Dead Man

Leunam said:
Race preview
Woo! F1 is back!

ElyrionX said:
Alright guys, figured this is as good a place any to ask so..

I wish to read up more about cars and news and everything related to them. I'm referring to regular production cars and all that and not about anything to do with professional racing. What's the best site for this? Any GAF-equivalent car forum out there?
There's a couple GAF threads, most of the baords I go to are fuoll of fanboys and trolls, I go there for the funnies, not any actual knowledge.

Car-Gaf thread
Automotive discussion thread

AndyD said:

Good to hear, I can see plenty of drivers doing that. I know they want the race to be safe, but they need to find a away to discourage cuts like that, especially at the start of races.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The forecast on BBC and F1 site shows rain for the whole weekend.
Going to make for a great weekend of racing, any of the top 4 teams could win with qualifying lottery and carnage during the race.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
navanman said:
The forecast on BBC and F1 site shows rain for the whole weekend.
Going to make for a great weekend of racing, any of the top 4 teams could win with qualifying lottery and carnage during the race.
Yes, carnage. The Old one will try to take out Rubens once and for all on his 300th GP, add Massa into the mix (if wet, forget about him) and voila, carbon flying all over the place.

Also, torrential downpour in Spa, GP2 practice red flagged.

Ferrari and RBR will get their wings tested today after FP2, along with one or two 'no-flexi' teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom