• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Decent week for me in the fantasy stuff. Would have been stellar had the race finished like I thought it would (Vet/Web/Alo) :( Still, 1301 points with Petrov and de la Rosa ain't chump change. Shame my early season stupidity will prevent me from doing well in the overall standings but I'm doing my part to help GAF. NEXT year though... watch out :D

Mastah

fail-o.gif

:O

Love Schumacher getting a 10 grid penalty. :lol

The way he's performing at the moment he'll qualify in 14th and be sent to the back of the grid. Would be beautiful to watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Foliorum Viridum said:
Love Schumacher getting a 10 grid penalty. :lol

The way he's performing at the moment he'll qualify in 14th and be sent to the back of the grid. Would be beautiful to watch.

nah, they'll just assume that and possibly cook up a problem to start from the pitlane, or just use it for basic testing and saving tyres. They know they're at the back of the grid next race.

operon

Topgear F1 even with 1154 points still droped a place, sutil not finishing didn't help, but the gamble to change to red bull all round did and hulkenburg did nice

DieH@rd

Banned
Goldrusher said:

Force of DieH@rd gains 2 places! Im 8th!

I had good score for this race [170th overall and 211th at hungary], but i lost some points when kubica retired. [im using renault engine].

When i answer bonus question i will have enough gold to buy RedBull engine.

Pimpwerx

Just watched the race. Whoa! First, it looks like Red Bull intentionally sabotaged Webber...again. Then he pulls a cracker of a race to get the win. I am super-impressed with him this season. He's fought adversity on and off the track. Amazing driving by him, and I'm not gonna fret too much if he beats Lewis to the WDC.

Wait...who am I kidding? Of course I'll fret, as Lewis had some rotten luck yesterday. :( You know, future paleontologists will unearth the f1.com servers and think that Jenson has been within a sniff of Lewis this season. Such a shame, but he's been faster in every race, even the ones Jenson won. He kept that Mac in podium range yesterday. Such a bad break considering he's been driving so well. In due time. The Mac will be back.

Alonso and Ferrari did great. Early on, Massa was backing Lewis up, instead of pressuring Webber. That's the impression I got anyway. I don't know how that makes sense in the championship race when Red Bull are kicky fast right now.

It was mayhem in the pits there. This no-refueling has put pressure on guys to perform on the track, but it also leaves little to the imagination for strategy. Um...wtf am I talking about? I'll take the racing over the chess match anyday. :D Anyone else NOT missing Max? :lol

Finally...let's all bow our heads in memory of Michael Schumacher. The man who drives that Mercedes is not the greatest of all time. You would think Rubens would have lost his edge before Michael, but that hiatus was a killer. He needs to hang it up after this season. This is reminding me of DC's retirement season. He was just nerfing everyone off the track. Same with Michael. He was clearly hawking his mirrors, and the on-board live was a heart-stopper. Rubens has juevos gigante. Major props to him. Shame shame, double-shame on Michael. PEACE.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mastah said:

I think you meant:

filipg.jpg

In his head he was probably: Oh shit! A tire! OH SHIT! A CAR!

That said, nice race. Shumi deserves the penalty, and Webber deserved the win 10 times over.

And I am now a couple of hundred points away from the next person on the league, but within a couple of dozen of the 2 ahead.

Red Bull has an amazing car but their drivers are just above average imho.

Both drivers are great when they start front row and can rocket off but they're prone to mistakes when they have to make up positions on track(basically the whole racer vs driver argument).

Jinjo

While it's great the US is getting their own GP back, I fear we have another borefest added to the season for the coming 40 years (as the Austin track is also designed by Tilke).

Dead Man

dalin80

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
Red Bull has an amazing car but their drivers are just above average imho.

Both drivers are great when they start front row and can rocket off but they're prone to mistakes when they have to make up positions on track(basically the whole racer vs driver argument).

Agreed completely, its a quirk of F1 that you can see such a mediocre pair drivers qualify 1s faster then anyone else while the most on form on the grid at the moment have to just hope to get the last spot on the podium.

Would be great if vettel utterly failed this year, to lose with a car advantage that hasnt been seen in years and a team that is actively favouring you would be a fair upset. Would be all the more gratifying after his tantrum at the last race.

Dibbz

frey said:
Maybe a bit off-topic but will anyone be buying the new F1 game when it's released in September?
Depends what it plays like. If it's anything like Grid or Dirt then no.

BTW I think both Vettel and Webber are good drivers, definitely above average. Did everyone miss the race where Vettel came back through the pack from 24th to land 7th this year?

dalin80

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Agree.

To see Button (technically the best in my opinion) in a Red Bull would be something special.

Hard to say that button is the best on his current form, the last race was pathetic.

h3ro

Good race result = fantastic driver
Bad race result = shit car and setup

That being said, I would have loved to see Fernando in the RedBull. :D

DieH@rd

Banned
Bonus question is up. Can someone indentify all the drivers? :) More than half of them is easy, other few are old crew.
/ducks

BQ20100814_BelgiumNoWin.jpg

Opus Angelorum said:
Agree.

To see Button (technically the best in my opinion) in a Red Bull would be something special.

I don't recall Button ever displaying serious ability since his debut year with Williams (alongside Ralf Schumacher if I recall correctly.)

Frank Williams brought him in and promptly sent him off to gain experience elsewhere. He never took him back. If there's one old fart on the grid who knows ability, that's Frank Williams. He didn't see it, and I sure as hell don't either.

As for his 2009 title - his team was in a league of its own and he was paired with (in my opinion) one of the poorest drivers on the grid, whose moment of grandeur was the Stewart 1-2 of '99 where he finished second, as he would almost always finish, for the rest of his career.

Believe me, BAR and then Honda was my second favorite team on the grid when they were underdogs, I loved Pollock's attitude and their days with Jacques Villeneuve, and gave up on the team after having to endure Button in 2003.

Burai

shitonmychest57
tahrikmili said:
I don't recall Button ever displaying serious ability since his debut year with Williams (alongside Ralf Schumacher if I recall correctly.)

Frank Williams brought him in and promptly sent him off to gain experience elsewhere. He never took him back. If there's one old fart on the grid who knows ability, that's Frank Williams. He didn't see it, and I sure as hell don't either.

Sorry, did we miss the whole Williams vs. BAR tug of war for Jenson's services where he signed for Williams and then bought himself out of his contract after they lost the BMW engines?

Jinjo

We have seen what Button did in a Red Bull-esque car.

Take the title.

With that I want to add that regardless of car performance you still have to be there every weekend, again and again. The Brawn of this year (Red Bull) just have not lived up to that. There is not a single person out there that can disagree with that. Not saying Button is technically the best driver out there, but he is not as crap (anymore) as people make him out to be. I like seeing drivers who actually mature over their career. I think Webber this year is also a great example of that.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Bahrain is returning to old track layout for 2011 - Autosport. From most boring to boring.

Quick Nick released from Mercedes GP, will be test driver for Pirelli - Autosport (Ross will probably get some early info on the new tyres). He will drive Toyota TF109.

Peter Sauber is confident that the team will be more competitve next year and with bigger budget - Autosport

Lucius86

Banned
Jinjo said:
We have seen what Button did in a Red Bull-esque car.

Take the title.

With that I want to add that regardless of car performance you still have to be there every weekend, again and again. The Brawn of this year (Red Bull) just have not lived up to that. There is not a single person out there that can disagree with that. Not saying Button is technically the best driver out there, but he is not as crap (anymore) as people make him out to be.

Aye, each time I speak to my mates about Button, they keep trashing him like there's no tomorrow. I just used this exact argument the last time we were discussing him, where they all rated Vettel over Button, and no one had a comeback :D

DieH@rd

Banned
itsgreen said:
Just decided I'll go to Spa :)

Friday only, but still nice.

THANK YOU for bumping thread, you reminded me to post answer to bonus question on F1 manager site. 3 minutes before deadline! :D

Igo

The deadline has passed but it still let me submit my answer. I was really worried for a moment because I figured I would have until next Friday to submit my answer. That's probably the case and the deadline is incorrect.

dalin80

Banned
Dibbz said:
Did everyone miss the race where Vettel came back through the pack from 24th to land 7th this year?

No I think we all clearly saw the red bull drive past cars 5s a lap slower before crashing into the side of sutil.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lord Spanky - Ferrari deserves severe punishment
Ferrari should receive a significant sporting sanction for breaking the rules at Hockenheim, according to the controversial former president of F1's governing body.

After the Italian team angrily slammed Niki Lauda for predicting a similar outcome at next month's FIA disciplinary hearing, Max Mosley waded into the debate during an interview with Welt am Sonntag newspaper.

Race leader Felipe Massa moved over to let Fernando Alonso win the German Grand Prix in July and "both cars and both drivers should lose the points they achieved", 70-year-old Briton Mosley said.

"I will not make any recommendation, but on the facts at the moment there should have been some sporting sanction and not only a fine," he added.

Mosley said "most teams" would like the team orders ban to be repealed, but he said the rule was designed to "meet the needs of millions of fans".

"In the event that it (team orders) is brought into play, we have to impose a severe punishment," he explained.
Motorsport

moojito

I reckon team orders could bring in an interesting new element of strategy into things if they were allowed. Are there any racing leagues out there where team orders are allowed and have thrown up some interesting situations, anyone know?

moojito said:
I reckon team orders could bring in an interesting new element of strategy into things if they were allowed. Are there any racing leagues out there where team orders are allowed and have thrown up some interesting situations, anyone know?

Endurance racing.

Sometimes multi car teams who qualify at the front row will setup their cars like the hare and tortoise. The hare will rocket off into the lead at the start in hopes of causing the other teams to panic and try to match the pace which sometimes results in the other team making a mistakes. If something happens to the hare the team has the tortoise for backup.

Spa this weekend... finally.
chances of boring race: 5%
chances of title leader changing: 70%
chances of our favourite japanese showing what he is made of:90%

motivator05f6eb9e611ea7d2f7e5b72c98b991271cb49113.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
McLaren to remove F-duct for Monza

McLaren will remove the F-duct from its car for the first time this season at the Italian Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT has learned, with the low downforce nature of the circuit negating any benefit the system brings.

The Woking-based team was the pioneer of the F-duct at the start of this year, and the design has proved such a success that all its main rivals have copied the idea. Renault will be the latest to introduce it at this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.

The F-duct helps provides a straightline speed boost by allowing the drivers to stall the rear wing on the straights - and teams can use it for a simple top-speed advantage or to help them run more downforce in the corners without suffering a drag penalty on the straights.

Although Monza has the highest top speeds of the season - so would in theory be perfect for a straightline advantage - the fact the track requires such a low wing set-up actually makes the F-duct redundant because there is not enough drag for it to get rid of.

McLaren's decision to remove its F-duct for the Italian Grand Prix is likely to become standard practice, with all teams instead set to focus on a low-downforce aerodynamic package better suited to the Monza layout.

All teams had been expected to remove the F-duct at the Monaco Grand Prix earlier this year, but McLaren elected to keep it on its car then – saying at the time that there was no alternative.

"F-duct is something which will work better on the long straight than a circuit like this," McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said in Monaco. "It is a standard part of our car. We don't have a non F-duct variety to fit in any case."
Autosport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom