• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

derFeef said:
Why do you even watch this? You obviously only get entertained by crashes, injuries and deaths (?).

Keep on putting words in my mouth.

I used to watch it because it was a street fight on the track.

I watch it these days because of Ferrari and Mercedes.

Shaneus said:
So how is Schumi attempting to run someone into a wall "entertainment"?

How is watching two shitty V8 powered neutered F1 cars driving in a procession with the other clearly unable to get within 50metres of the other because of an illegal aerodynamic device which was slyly approved by a corrupt FIA president last year "entertainment"?

The only entrainment you get these days is when it rains. F1 is fucking shit these days. The cars are no longer as good as they could be because of the shit rules on testing, engines and budgets.

kikanny

avaya said:
Keep on putting words in my mouth.

I used to watch it because it was a street fight on the track.

I watch it these days because of Ferrari and Mercedes.

How is watching two shitty V8 powered neutered F1 cars driving in a procession with the other clearly unable to get within 50metres of the other because of an illegal aerodynamic device which was slyly approved by a corrupt FIA president last year "entertainment"?

The only entrainment you get these days is when it rains. F1 is fucking shit these days. The cars are no longer as good as they could be because of the shit rules on testing, engines and budgets.
Just because F1 is shit doesn't mean drivers have to end up getting killed just because you can be entertained by it.

avaya

kikanny said:
Just because F1 is shit doesn't mean drivers have to end up getting killed just because you can be entertained by it.

Why do you people keep on talking shit about people being killed?

Some of you have massive cognitive dissonance.

When the fuck did someone die from a blocking or overtaking move?

Jinjo

avaya said:

That's why multiple previous trackrecords have been smashed to bits this year. This is one of the fastest classes of F1 cars ever.

Jinjo said:
That's why multiple previous trackrecords have been smashed to bits this year. This is one of the fastest classes of F1 cars ever.

That isn't what he said. He said they aren't as good as they could be, and he is right. They could be phenomenal, but they are hindered by aero ackage rules, budget restrictions and lack of testing.

Caramello

avaya said:
Yeah that was great entertainment. Almost as good as watching paint dry.

You know for all the stuff you seem to think happened in the 90's, Schumacher's antics (putting certain people into walls for example) gave him the reputation of being a dirty cheat.. He's always been one, it's not like his antics back then were 'normal' and I don't get why you think they were.

Btw, Senna was on the grass when he took out Prost at Suzuka in 1990, it's not like he didn't give him room. Certainly not the same as turning in one someone to put them into a wall.

avaya

Jinjo said:

Err that tends to happen with natural technological evoluation but what do you think would happen if they went to back to 2002 rules?

V10 1000bhp+, 21,000RPM+ engines, cars with 2-3x the aerodynamic efficiency, qualifying engines, chassis and parts. Cars on the VERY cutting edge. Since 2002 there has been a concerted effort to tone down how F1 has been approached and it is very much an endurance series these days instead of the pure sprint it was before.

Cars these days are neutered. You could be seeing lap records 4-5s/lap faster than what they're going now. Probably approaching 7g+ at peak cornering performance.

Spending $500m+/year will get you far more than spending a fifth of that.

Juicy Bob

avaya said:
The only entrainment you get these days is when it rains. F1 is fucking shit these days.

Really? I can't disagree more. This season has been hugely eventful. Outside of Bahrain and Hockenheim, every race has been entertaining at the very least with Australia, China, Turkey, Canada and Silverstone being truly awesome races.

derFeef

avaya said:
Err that tends to happen with natural technological evoluation but what do you think would happen if they went to back to 2002 rules?

V10 1000bhp+, 21,000RPM+ engines, cars with 2-3x the aerodynamic efficiency, qualifying engines, chassis and parts. Cars on the VERY cutting edge. Since 2002 there has been a concerted effort to tone down how F1 has been approached and it is very much an endurance series these days instead of the pure sprint it was before.

Cars these days are neutered. You could be seeing lap records 4-5s/lap faster than what they're going now. Probably approaching 7g+ at peak cornering performance.

But current tracks would be unsuitable for such cars. F1 is also about turns and not pure speed. This is not Nascar.

avaya said:

Spot on. They even talk about the fact they short fill them with fuel and have to drive some of the race saving fuel. The so called pinnacle of motorsport has the equivalent of cruise control for part of a race. What a joke.

avaya

Caramello said:
You know for all the stuff you seem to think happened in the 90's, Schumacher's antics (putting certain people into walls for example) gave him the reputation of being a dirty cheat.. He's always been one, it's not like his antics back then were 'normal' and I don't get why you think they were.

Btw, Senna was on the grass when he took out Prost at Suzuka in 1990, it's not like he didn't give him room. Certainly not the same as turning in one someone to put them into a wall.

His tactics were normal, it's just the same people cried about it back then as they do now.

Your Senna comment. Clearly taking someone out at T1 Suzuka in a tin-can car is not as bad as making one blocking move towards the wall. You should try stand up.

avaya

Juicy Bob said:
Really? I can't disagree more. This season has been hugely eventful. Outside of Bahrain and Hockenheim, every race has been entertaining at the very least with Australia, China, Turkey, Canada and Silverstone being truly awesome races.

How many of those were rain races?

The rest of them are the result of lowered expectations.

derFeef said:
But current tracks would be unsuitable for such cars. F1 is also about turns and not pure speed. This is not Nascar.

wtf? Read the post man.

Scipius

Caramello said:

Nonsense. What Senna did was worse even; he had more or less announced he would punt Prost off before the start. He never intended Prost to get to the corner first.

avaya said:

Don't know if you were watching in the turbo era, but having wheelspin in 6th gear while going uphill is no one's idea of having fun. Cars were ridiculously overpowered in the early 1980s and most drivers were only too happy to go back to aspirated engines and reduced ground effect. Restrictions on technology have always been part of F1.

Another point is that the antics of Senna and Schumacher are only made possible because of the relatively high degree of survivability of modern cars and circuits. Up until the 1980s, such tactics were not regularly seen not because there were only gentleman drivers, but because having it go wrong could easily result in someone ending up dead.

avaya

Brundle's excuse for Senna vs. Michael was fucking comical. True colours showing through there.

There is only this much fuss because it is Michael.

Just like there was only so much fuss about team orders (rightly so) last weekend because it was Ferrari.

Scipius said:
Don't know if you were watching in the turbo era, but having wheelspin in 6th gear while going uphill is no one's idea of having fun. Cars were ridiculously overpowered in the early 1980s and most drivers were only too happy to go back to aspirated engines and reduced ground effect. Restrictions on technology have always been part of F1.

Another point is that the antics of Senna and Schumacher are only made possible because of the relatively high degree of survivability of modern cars and circuits. Up until the 1980s, such tactics were not regularly seen not because there were only gentleman drivers, but because having it go wrong could easily result in someone ending up dead.

I don't disagree with you at all. What I disapprove of is the neutering of team budgets, testing, implementation of parc ferme and the ban on spare cars. That shit is not on.

avaya

Stop It said:
:lol :lol

http://twitter.com/MikeGascoyne <- (Btw I like following the smaller teams on twitter)
"Have to say michaels move against the williams was way to much, the stewards must act"
Fancy calling one of the most respected figures in F1 wrong avaya? Feel free to tweet him saying that you want to see "entertainment".

Mike Gascoyne is not well respected. There lies your mistake.

Schumacher's been out of F1 for 3 years and people act surprised when he does what he did. He's done that before and we've seen other drivers do it. Webber did it a few years ago to Massa iirc. A few other drivers do it at the start.

Massa

ExtraKr1spy said:
Schumacher's been out of F1 for 3 years and people act surprised when he does what he did. He's done that before and we've seen other drivers do it. Webber did it a few years ago to Massa iirc. A few other drivers do it at the start.

Schumacher did it to Massa this year as well. Only difference is that this was far more dangerous.

Goldrusher

Deadman said:
Schumacher 10 place grid drop at spa.

Fair penalty.

Schumacher should've given Barrichello more space as soon as he noticed him.

But Barrichello should've gone to the left. Schumacher was clearly going to the right, yet for some reason, Barrichello thought he could squeeze himself in there. That was a weird and risky move. Watch his onboard footage.

Goldrusher said:
Fair penalty.

But Barrichello should've gone to the left. Schumacher was clearly going to the right, yet for some reason, Barrichello thought he could squeeze himself in there. That was a weird and risky move. Watch his onboard footage.

Your original post was better than your edit.

This video clearly shows that Schumi was aware of what the fuck was happening. This is Schumacher we are talking about and he clearly knows who or what is around him.

derFeef

Love the youtube CC :lol

schumirubenkill.jpg

Damnit, missed some more action after watching Vettel "chase" Alonso for more than 20 laps.

Schumie was in vintage bastard form. Don't really think it was worth a ten drop penalty, since Barrichello could have backed off at any time :lol

magnificent83 said:
Schumie was in vintage bastard form. Don't really think it was worth a ten drop penalty, since Barrichello could have backed off at any time :lol
You don't back off when there are only a handful of laps. If you are faster and are owning, the one getting owned need to man the fuck up and make way for the one up on his ass. Schumi is used to getting his ass kicked and losing positions this entire season but this one meant alot to him especially after the previous race evoked memories of the 2002 fuckup.

Sloane

Banned
chicko1983 said:
man, I dislike Vettel, he acts like such a brat.
Been saying this forever. At least, he acknowledged that it was his fault in the end this time. :lol

As for Schumi, it did look fucking dangerous and it was only about being 10th or 11th. On the other hand, nothing happened and Rubens could have pulled back. The penalty seems a bit harsh.

Edit: They really need to overthink penalties for next season. Kubica / Renault ruin Sutil's race and get basically no penalty. (Drivethrough was irrelevant because Sutil was out and Kubica at P20 or whatever.) Schumacher drives dangerously but nothing happens, yet he gets a penalty that will ruin Spa for him?

ElyrionX

When a driver is clearly half a second faster than the one in front of him and yet is unable to overtake him, you know something is wrong.

Lince

Banned
the pace of the bulls was insane, well done Alonso fending off Vettel who was clearly a full second "faster than you". So glad Hamilton DNF and Button did so poorly, the championship gets more interesting now (as long as RBR don't show the out of this world pace again)

Massa "what position did Webber end?" :lol
poor lad isn't fully recovered or something, he's just too unaware.

Massa

Lince said:
the pace of the bulls was insane, well done Alonso fending off Vettel who was clearly a full second "faster than you". So glad Hamilton DNF and Button did so poorly, the championship gets more interesting now (as long as RBR don't show the out of this world pace again)

Massa "what position did Webber end?" :lol
poor lad isn't fully recovered or something, he's just too unaware.

How on earth is he supposed to know everyone's position on the track? The fact that Webber did 40 laps on soft tyres is incredible, and from Massa's point of view Rob was telling him to push it as Webber would pit before 20 laps.

God you're thick.

Massa

FIA to ramp up wing tests for Belgium

The FIA has moved to try to bring an end to Formula 1's flexible front wing row by telling teams it will ramp up the deflection tests from the next race in Belgium, AUTOSPORT has learned.

In the wake of complaints from a number of teams about possible flexing of the front wings of the Red Bull Racing and Ferrari cars at high speed, even though nothing has been found to be wrong with the two machines, the FIA wrote to teams after the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday telling them it was going to attempt to clear up the matter.

AUTOSPORT understands that from the next event at Spa-Francorchamps, the FIA has activated Article 3.17.8 of F1's technical regulations, which allows it to increase load deflection tests at any point to prevent teams being able to run flexible wings.

Article 3.17.8 states: "In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 3.15 are respected, the FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion."

At the moment the endplates on the front wing are allowed to flex by a maximum of 10mm when a load of 50 kilogrammes (500 Newtons) is applied to them.

The FIA has told teams now that it reserves the right to increase that test up to 100 kilogrammes - and it will only allow a linear increase of deflection up to 20mm.

The linear increase is designed to ensure that teams are not using clever material design to ensure that their cars pass the deflection test to stay within the regulations but then flex much more at higher loads.

Continues here.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
You missed one important paragraph:
It is also understood that the FIA is to clamp down on teams using clever fixings and joints on the underfloor of the car – amid suspicions that this is one area that teams could also be exploiting the regulations.

moojito

Massa said:
How on earth is he supposed to know everyone's position on the track? The fact that Webber did 40 laps on soft tyres is incredible, and from Massa's point of view Rob was telling him to push it as Webber would pit before 20 laps.

God you're thick.

How about because his engineer told him he pitted and came back out in the lead?

I'm really pissed off that Vettel didn't win today. I start to think he's too inexperienced at this point to really fight for the title, tho he has good position after this race. That was really a beginners error and no shame about that, we have seen similar fuck ups by way bigger names, but it's just annoying.

And Schumacher, well that was just horrible and the punishment is deserved. Vettel vs. Alonso last week was perfectly fine and normal in my book but Schumacher vs. Barrichello just crossed a line. That wasn't a normal fight on the track. It seemed like a personal vendetta and extremely ruthless. I don't understand why Schumacher, who is a multiple father wants to risk his life for a single championship point. So stupid.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty happy with the results, tightens up the title battle, which is great. Also happy to see Williams continuing to score more points. Schumacher's move was pretty crazy. It's one thing running a guy of the road if it's just grass, but 300km next the concrete and the barrier is another.

Chris R

Again we have another race with a great first half and a boring second half (other than the Reubens/Schumi stuff) Seeing Vettel follow .7 seconds behind for 20+ laps is sleep inducing. Didn't stay up to watch this one but I'll be going to be really early next race because Spa is probably my favorite track F1 currently runs.

Jinjo

Steppenwolf said:
I'm really pissed off that Vettel didn't win today. I start to think he's too inexperienced at this point to really fight for the title, tho he has good position after this race. That was really a beginners error and no shame about that, we have seen similar fuck ups by way bigger names, but it's just annoying.

I have been saying this since 2008. Everyone was praising him to the moon when he took that first win of his (and to be fair it was impressive). All of sudden they forgot about the insanely high retirement percentage he had from all the previous races (especially in the beginning of the year). And offcourse last year where he basicly lost the championship on stupid mistakes/retirements (again, especially in the beginning of the year). As you said there have been similar fuck-ups by bigger names, but it seems to affect Vettel more where it matters. It's a shame, because you can't deny his raw talent. Keeping aside the fact that he is an annoying whiny little fuck.:lol

Shaneus

Pretty much what I thought about Hamilton in his first couple of years. Only thing is that Hamilton seems to have grown out of his spoiled brat phase and become quite a level-headed driver where Vettel is still very immature in his attitude.

Fuck me Schumacher is an absolute cunt. I want to see him pushed in a wall like that and see if he sees it as a valid defensive move. Christ. My hatred for the guy is increasing with every race.

Very exciting race all in all, maybe the best of the year so far. The drama on the track and pit lane provided entertainment throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom