• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The Delhi race is provisional and subject to the new circuit being homologated by the FIA, while Shanghai's licence has expired and the facility needs to complete some upgrades before being granted a new one.

Like a crowd size upgrade?

DarkJC

Jinjo said:
Now we just need Australia back as the season opener.

I think Bahrain as the opener really lets you appreciate Australia. At least they're going back to the old layout next year.

Dead Man

Bonus question is up. A bit strange, but shouldn't be too hard.

Edit: Having said that, I can't find that great stats site someone posted for a tricky question a few races ago, anyone remember what it was?

Acidote

Two races in a month time in Spain. Near enough one of each other to cannibalize sales (About 3 and a half hours away drive according to gmaps).

And they'll be surprised if the Europe GP (Valencia) sales are slim.

Somtaaw

Banned
Massa will be arrested if open for Alonso, says promoter

According to a note published in this Thursday in the newspaper Folha de S. Paulo ", prosecutor Paul Castillo, the Special Criminal Court, Felipe Massa promises to arrest if he step aside for his Ferrari team-mate Fernando Alonso in GP of Brazil on Sunday.

Based on the "Fan Statute," Castillo said the Brazilian driver could face up to six years in prison for "fraud" or "contribute to the fraud," the result of a sporting contest.

"If you do, he has to leave the Interlagos handcuffed," the prosecutor told the newspaper.

http://tazio.uol.com.br/f-1/textos/22175/

skybaby

Somtaaw said:

According to a note published in this Thursday in the newspaper Folha de S. Paulo ", prosecutor Paul Castillo, the Special Criminal Court, Felipe Massa promises to arrest if he step aside for his Ferrari team-mate Fernando Alonso in GP of Brazil on Sunday.

Based on the "Fan Statute," Castillo said the Brazilian driver could face up to six years in prison for "fraud" or "contribute to the fraud," the result of a sporting contest.

"If you do, he has to leave the Interlagos handcuffed," the prosecutor told the newspaper.

Hey look Brazilian authorities trying to have their name on the media. Shocker

Jinjo

Somtaaw said:

Haha, such bullshit. Sporting law/rules has/have very little to do with the real law. The rules of the sport are set up and governed by the sporting organisations themselves. Therefore any possible punishment from breaking a sporting law or rule can only come from, in this case, the FIA (There is no law against team-orders in "real-life").

Another example is the use of doping. Those things always get settled within the sport and the law/rules of that sport. The use of doping is not punishable in normal life. That's leaving possession of illegal substances out the equation though, but there are a lot of supplements on the doping list you can get in your local pharmacy or on doctor's prescription.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Vettel and Webber, not friends.

Adam Cooper:
Just did an an interview with Vettel who said he and Webber will never be friends 'after what's happened this year'

Asked Seb if that meant Turkey or other stuff and he didn't really want to elaborate. Meanwhile Mark has been stirring the pot too!

Shaneus

navanman said:

Adam Cooper:
Just did an an interview with Vettel who said he and Webber will never be friends 'after what's happened this year'

Asked Seb if that meant Turkey or other stuff and he didn't really want to elaborate. Meanwhile Mark has been stirring the pot too!
Any more elaboration on that?

S. L.

Shaneus said:
Webber just more or less openly suggested that Vettel might be the RBR favorite.
*shrug*

it still puzzles me why RBR signed Webber for another year

After what Berger said after Korea I'm not surprised to see Webber speak out.

With Alonso driving like he has for the last four races and RBR seemingly imploding, RBR are likely to regret not favouring Webber when they had the chance.

navanman

Shaneus said:

Nothing public but Webber has been stirring the pot in his pre-race interview:

Mark Webber has re-opened the controversy about favouritism at Red Bull by saying the team support Sebastian Vettel more than him.

Webber has been Red Bull's leading contender in the championship since May but the team are refusing to ask Vettel to back the Australian's title bid.

It was suggested to Webber in a news conference that he did not feel the team were emotionally behind him.

Webber said: "It's obvious, isn't it?" But added it was "absolutely fine."

Webber added: "Of course when young, new chargers come onto the block, that's where the emotion is. That's the way it is.

"Which is absolutely fine, because I've had a great opportunity and a great car to go and do some great things this year, and I have done that.

"I've got favourites in life. I've got people I like to be with. That's how it is. It's human nature."

While the team has remained adamant that it will not impose any form of team orders, Webber said there was the potential to let both championships slip away if Red Bull did not handle the final races correctly.

"I'm a driver, and I think that of course you increase your risk of that happening if you race each other and potentially take each other out, or race as hard as you want all the way to the end then you might not get certain championships," he said.

"But it's certainly not my decision and what I think is really all that important to how we will probably go about it. You'd need to ask the people who run the team."

Dead Man

navanman said:

Adam Cooper:

Seb is probably still stinging from Fuji when he was a twat in the wet. :D

Juicy Bob

mrklaw said:
wtf f1 racemanager bonus question? I thought massa only won Brazil once?

Twice. 2006, slightly overshadowed by Schumi's retirement and 2008 where he was heavily overshadowed by Hamilton snatching the Championship from him.

As a side note, I was always a Massa critic until that finale in 2008. It was his one chance to win the ultimate prize and under enormous pressure at his home track he took pole position and dominated the race in very difficult conditions. He did absolutely everything he had to do, but it ultimately wasn't enough. Still one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen.

Saying that, though, look at him now.

navanman

Red Bull extend Renault engine deal until 2012 and Lotus officially confirm Renault engines for next year.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Massa's face! Priceless.

So right now it seems its RBR then McLaren right behind and the Ferrari's way down in +10 range. But its just FP1.

Interesting weekend coming!

Leunam

Lotus confirms engine deal with Renault

The Lotus Racing team has confirmed it will use Renault engines from the 2011 season, ending weeks of speculation about the partnership.

The team had already announced it had agreed to end its deal with Cosworth early, paving the way for the new agreement.

Today's announcement means Lotus will be using Renault engines and Red Bull gearboxes next season, following the deal with the team to use its transmissions.

Interestingly, Renault said its supply deal was with 1Malaysia Racing Team, rather than the Team Lotus name that the outfit is hoping to use.

Good for them. Hope that means we have another mid-field team to watch out for.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Well he did help Alonso cheat and those few points may determine the championship, so yes, he has...

So something that always has, does and always will exist in F1 is cheating simply because they didn't hide it well enough like the other teams? I am not even an Alonso fan and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Pimpwerx

I haven't said it in a while, but my new job is killing my enjoyment of F1. I can't remember the last time I caught a practice or qualification session. I was so tired I missed all of Korea except the race. And the time delay actually works to our advantage there. PEACE.

navanman

Vettel fastest by a large margin followed by Webber and then Hamilton.
Ferrari off the pace so far but they are limiting running to keep engines good for rest of the weekend.

Shaneus

Leunam said:
Lotus confirms engine deal with Renault

Good for them. Hope that means we have another mid-field team to watch out for.
I'm gonna (try and) call it, but I'm thinking that they'll be a dark horse next year. Not necessarily for the championship, but I have a feeling they'll go toe-to-toe against a team like Sauber. Shit, I reckon they'll leapfrog them and go for someone like Mercedes, provided they have a good, aggressive driver or two.

Just don't lose that BRG livery, gents.

Shaneus

navanman said:
Vettel fastest by a large margin followed by Webber and then Hamilton.
Ferrari off the pace so far but they are limiting running to keep engines good for rest of the weekend.
Vettel fastest if he qualifies first. If he's ever less than first out of the first one or two corners of any race, he's basically doomed to second. He needs overtaking lessons from Kobayashi. But only after this season ends, though ;)

moojito

Pimpwerx said:
I haven't said it in a while, but my new job is killing my enjoyment of F1. I can't remember the last time I caught a practice or qualification session. I was so tired I missed all of Korea except the race. And the time delay actually works to our advantage there. PEACE.

I'd be totally lost without the bbc iplayer. It must be a nightmare for fans without it (or something like it) trying to keep up with events.

navanman

So Autosport have the scoop on the latest Team Lotus naming rights and now its totally insane.
Renault are selling up completely leaving Lotus cars to invest in Renault and going to rename and rebrand the team and Lotus Renault.
This will leave the current Lotus Racing team having to rebrand which looks to likely to happen if you study the press release on Renault selling engines to this years Lotus F1 team.

Confusing or what??

Renault is poised to scale back its Formula 1 involvement next year and become only an engine supplier, AUTOSPORT has learned, as its current works team closes in on a tie-up with Lotus Cars.

Although the French car manufacturer announced on Friday that it was expanding its engine supply deals in 2011 to include the current Lotus Racing outfit as well as its works team and Red Bull Racing, sources suggest that the move has come following a behind-the-scenes decision to totally revise its F1 strategy.

Rather than continue having its own team, sources suggest that the company is planning to wind down its involvement with the Enstone-based outfit to becoming just an engine supplier from the start of 2011.

That decision has left the way clear for the Renault team's current majority shareholder, Genii Capital, to seek other partners for next year as it looks to maintain the momentum it has gained during the current season.

Sources suggest that the outfit is close to finalising a deal with Lotus Cars for the company to become a major sponsor - and potential minority shareholder - of the team. The outfit itself could become known as Lotus Renault from the start of next year.

If the deal is agreed, the tie-up with Lotus would provide a financial boost to the rebranded Enstone team, and give Lotus Cars the opening in F1 that its ambitious CEO Dany Bahar has been seeking.

Even if the Lotus deal does happen, it is likely that the team would maintain elements of the Renault name until at least the start of the next Concorde Agreement, which is set to come into force from 2013.

Renault's new engine deal with Red Bull Racing has included more branding for the company on the team's cars – as Renault Sport's president Bernard Rey suggested on Friday that there were still tangible benefits to being involved in the sport.

"We remain firm believers in the benefits of our successful involvement in F1: it positions Renault as a technological leader, and boosts awareness of the brand across the globe," he said.

The Lotus Cars move with Renault has cast fresh doubt on whether the current Lotus Racing team will continue its push to use the Team Lotus moniker in F1 – as it would make little sense for there to be two Lotus Renault outfits competing against each other in 2011.

Speculation that Lotus Racing may seek a rebranding next year was heightened by the outfit not making any reference to its current name in press releases confirming its use of Renault engines for next year.

Renault itself announced that it was supplying engines to the 1Malaysia Racing Team (UK) Ltd in 2011.

Lotus Racing team owner Tony Fernandes was not available for comment about his plans as he is missing this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix.

skybaby

Very well informed Brazilian motorsport news site has put Senna in Lotus for 2011.

Also:
umr12.jpg

navanman

Goldrusher said:
But do they mean this year's Lotus (1Malaysia) or next year's (Renault) ? :lol

Confusing.

This years Renault team becomes Lotus Renault next year and this years Lotus Racing becomes something else like Team Air Asia or Team Malaysia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom