• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet we will get another Tilke track in India next year :(

Spa is one of the highlights of the year for me personally especially as a Räikkönen fan

Deadman

We can take comfort from the fact that its a driver and fan favourite and therefore the teams will put pressure on bernie to keep it in.

Goldrusher

The problem with Spa is that the track doesn't have a main sponsor anymore, since ING left the sport.

Surely there's a company sponsor that could sponsor Spa ?
Santander (Spanish) for some reason sponsors Monza and Hockenheim, and Eni (Italian) is the sponsor of that rubbish track in Hungary.

moojito

I wonder how it'd be received if spa had to close and they decided to build an exact replica elsewhere? Are there any other great tracks no longer in use that could be used to save Tilke the trouble of throwing a piece of string on the ground and copying the shape into his design software?

Orgun

No not Spa!

The circuit also had its operating licence suspended until 2026 due to noise complaints from local residents in 2007, although that has not stopped the grand prix from being staged since then, but, with potential hosts queuing up to join the series, Ecclestone has warned that weaker existing venues may have to be culled.

Don't move to a house near the circuit then! Never knew about this.

Leunam

Exact replica would be very difficult because of the elevation changes that you would need to reproduce. It wouldn't be the same track without them. You could do it with most of the Tilke tracks no problem, though.

Deadman

Looking at the fantasy league is too painful. Dropped 5 places to 8th, ive probably lost my hat now.

DAMN YOU RED BULL I WANTED THAT HAT.

S. L.

Deadman said:
Looking at the fantasy league is too painful. Dropped 5 places to 8th, ive probably lost my hat now.

eh you are just 30 points away from 6th, with a team that should easily win over those before you in the next reace. (unless Red Bulls explode again)

@Leuman total ranking
AtlasF1 made exactly as many team points as we did last race. The hats are in grasping range!!!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Deadman said:

I dropped two also as I bet on RBR. I like how you can tell the all RBR teams, they are under 1k scores whereas they were near 1500 in the past few races.

Interesting race. I actually like the circuit if they remove the walls on the outside at the end turn to make it more visible for drivers and also for fans. They also need to order about 30 of those truck cranes so they can remove cars without SC.

Classy Webber to admit mistake, Hamilton was hungry for this race, and he seems hungry for the last two in chase of the championship. Massa is dead in the water. Vettel is happy his team is backing him, but his chances are in limbo now. Alonso was ecstatic, I haven't seen a driver that happy since Hamilton won two years ago on the last turn. Button seems he has given up.

Can't wait for the last two races, but then the 5 month wait will be torture.

Jinjo

This championship is turning out to be even more epic by the race. I hate myself for sleeping in and thinking: ah the race is over now anyway, only to find out later the race hadn't even really begun at that point. Dammit.

A spectacular drive by Alonso nets him the well deserved leadership of the WDC. He has been on impeccable form the final half of the season. Now it's time for Hamilton to steal that from him in the final 2 races. We haven't had him in an outsider position for the championship yet. Let's see how he deals with that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jinjo said:
This championship is turning out to be even more epic by the race. I hate myself for sleeping in and thinking: ah the race is over now anyway, only to find out later the race hadn't even really begun at that point. Dammit.

A spectacular drive by Alonso nets him the well deserved leadership of the WDC. He has been on impeccable form the final half of the season. Now it's time for Hamilton to steal that from him in the final 2 races. We haven't had him in an outsider position for the championship yet. Let's see how he deals with that.

Hamilton is almost in a good position. If (maybe a big if) Jenson realises he can't do it now, Hamilton may have the support of a very capable wingman, which the other three contenders don't have. Massa has been pretty poor this season, and the two RBR drivers are as likely to drive into each other as help each other.

Goldrusher

Orgun said:
Don't move to a house near the circuit then! Never knew about this.
That's old, was largely bullshit and they have a new license already. The relations with the neighbours are better than ever.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Jinjo said:
A spectacular drive by Alonso nets him the well deserved leadership of the WDC.

It's not 'well-deserved' until/unless he has the lead without the points he gained through illegal use of team orders.

roxya

iapetus said:
It's not 'well-deserved' until/unless he has the lead without the points he gained through illegal use of team orders.

Does that apply to everyone who was a little more subtle with their team orders?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
roxya said:
Does that apply to everyone who was a little more subtle with their team orders?

To be fair, when Red Bull tried to use team orders they knocked each other out of the race.

but I agree with the sentiment. Most teams use team orders, they just have a driver that doesn't get all pissy and make it blatant.

NHale

iapetus said:

I'm sure that logic also applies to the teams that used the "We need to save fuel!/Fuel levels critical!" tactic. So in your opinion Nico Rosberg is leading the championship, right?

StoOgE said:
To be fair, when Red Bull tried to use team orders they knocked each other out of the race.

but I agree with the sentiment. Most teams use team orders, they just have a driver that doesn't get all pissy and make it blatant.

It helps when you don't transmit a radio message that says "Fernando is faster than you. Do you understand?" and 2 laps later Massa almost stops the car to let him pass.

Ferrari has only them to blame in that situation, they could have made like Red Bull and McLaren and say "Felipe baby, your fuel level is critical" and everyone would think it's not team orders. It's just a shame everyone does it but people keep fooling themselves into thinking it was only Ferrari...

Jinjo

iapetus said:

He would still be leading the WDC even without those points. Even if that one win wasn't gifted to him he still would be tied for most wins this season. And there's 2 races to go. The whole thing went through the FIA for evaluation and they gave their penalty. As far as I'm concerned that put any possible taints over the championship to rest. I agree with Eddie Jordan on that. Also calling Alonso not a deserved/true champion (if he becomes one) is a bit shortsighted imo when you look at the guy's track record.

Also, maybe you should watch the race edit from Turkey on f1.com. You will hear engineers screaming to a driver that he should watch his fuel consumption as he is in the middle of an overtake. Uhuh, yeah, would you listen to that advice or would that instruction even be given when you're racing anyone else than your teammate? I think you know the answer.

Anyway, Lewis is still there to bring justice upon this championship.

iapetus said:

I'd rather have Alonso win it with team orders than under performing(and chokers) Webber and Vettel.

The most dominant car in F1 since the F2004(won 15 races) and Webber/Vettel are trailing in the championship. You partner Alonso or Hamilton with either Red Bull driver and the WDC/WCC would be over with by Monza. All of the WDC contenders have made mistakes this season but right now as the season is closing Alonso is the only that seems to want it.

Vettel - might be WDC material but still below average when he isn't the fastest. He might get better.
Webber - mediocre driver with a great car. Ran out of talent trying to catch vettel in Korea.

Jinjo said:
Anyway, Lewis is still there to bring justice upon this championship.

Lewis is the best Racer in F1 by far but the 2 times we've seen him contend for the championship this late in the season he didn't exactly perform. couldn't get 2 points to clinch in 2007(he was a rookie though). In 2008 he went to Brazil leading but he was awful at that race. Did everything to lose it but benefited from Toyota's decision not to pit for rain tires. It might be different this year since he's chasing so the pressure might off him.

Jinjo

ExtraKr1spy said:
I'd rather have Alonso win it with team orders than under performing(and chokers) Webber and Vettel.

The most dominant car in F1 since the F2004(won 15 races) and Webber/Vettel are trailing in the championship. You partner Alonso or Hamilton with either Red Bull driver and the WDC/WCC would be over with by Monza. All of the WDC contenders have made mistakes this season but right now as the season is closing Alonso is the only that seems to want it.

Vettel - might be WDC material but still below average when he isn't the fastest. He might get better.
Webber - mediocre driver with a great car. Ran out of talent trying to catch vettel in Korea.

When you hit pole with your car 15 times and you win not even half of those you obviously have a set of drivers prone to screwing up.

Lewis is the best Racer in F1 by far but the 2 times we've seen him contend for the championship this late in the season he didn't exactly perform. couldn't get 2 points to clinch in 2007(he was a rookie though). In 2008 he went to Brazil leading but he was awful at that race. Did everything to lose it but benefited from Toyota's decision not to pit for rain tires. It might be different this year since he's chasing so the pressure might off him.

Oh I totally agree. Which is why I said earlier that we haven't seen him in this (outsider) position before and I'm awaiting anxiously to see how he performs in the final 2 races. The guy's eager though. After catching second place in Korea he calmly says how he hopes next race they can have a better result. He was definitely not superexcited about his podium finish. Jenson seems to have given up on the championship judging from his post-race comments. He will give Lewis the support he needs, if he's able to. The McLaren boys need another Turkey/Canada like run in 2 weeks if they really want to take this one to the wire.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
roxya said:

It certainly should do, yes, provided it can be shown to the same sort of level that they really were team orders. The difficulty in enforcing the rule is one of the reasons it's a bad rule, but while it's a rule it must be enforced, and must be enforced even-handedly.

F1 has gone through a bad patch recently of rules lawyering being more important than racing in deciding the outcome of the season. This isn't good for the sport. Having someone win the championship solely on the basis that they cheated but were allowed to get away with it isn't going to help that.

It's not that I don't want Alonso to win (though I don't). It's that if he does win, I want him to win by enough points that even had he been stripped of all points for that race he'd still have won, and if having my preferred candidates for the drivers championship drive into walls in the final races to gift Alonso that lead is the way it would have to happen, then so be it.

Dilly

Banned
Was rewatching some race edits and I noticed something.

Rob Smedley said 'Felipe, Fernando is faster than you' in Australia too. :lol

TylerD

Dilly said:
Was rewatching some race edits and I noticed something.

Rob Smedley said 'Felipe, Fernando is faster than you' in Australia too. :lol

Glad to see I'm not the only one that watches those race edits multiple times. I watch em all every 4-5 races to remember everything that happened in previous GPs. They are epic!

Jinjo

TylerD said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one that watches those race edits multiple times. I watch em all every 4-5 races to remember everything that happened in previous GPs. They are epic!

Are you kidding me? I always keep on checking during the week after the GP if there's a new one up already. It's a real shame they don't archive them from previous years though. They had some really good ones that you can never watch again. :(

Seanspeed

Banned
iapetus said:
It certainly should do, yes, provided it can be shown to the same sort of level that they really were team orders. The difficulty in enforcing the rule is one of the reasons it's a bad rule, but while it's a rule it must be enforced, and must be enforced even-handedly.

F1 has gone through a bad patch recently of rules lawyering being more important than racing in deciding the outcome of the season. This isn't good for the sport. Having someone win the championship solely on the basis that they cheated but were allowed to get away with it isn't going to help that.

It's not that I don't want Alonso to win (though I don't). It's that if he does win, I want him to win by enough points that even had he been stripped of all points for that race he'd still have won, and if having my preferred candidates for the drivers championship drive into walls in the final races to gift Alonso that lead is the way it would have to happen, then so be it.
I still think most people complaining that Alonso needs to win by more than 7 points are just saying that because they want to be able to demean his title anyway they can if he does win it.

Most people realize the team order rule is stupid, so it shouldn't have any impact on how 'deserved' his championship title is. Mclaren and Red Bull have both recently said they're considering the use of 'team tactics' in the coming races, but I dont see anybody complaining. They'll probably be smarter about it and ask the drivers before the race to do whats necessary, rather than doing it during the race, but I dont see how that really makes it any different. The ultimate effect is the same and both can be as painfully obvious as the other, one is just a bit more 'proveable'. Yet somehow, what Ferrari did was sooooo wrong and awful.....

Jinjo

Apparently, Red Bull gave Bernie a pimped up walking frame for his birthday. :lol

2e2p9cn.jpg

And offcourse the all important steering wheel. :lol

9qaedz.jpg

Britprog

Jinjo said:
Also, maybe you should watch the race edit from Turkey on f1.com. You will hear engineers screaming to a driver that he should watch his fuel consumption as he is in the middle of an overtake. Uhuh, yeah, would you listen to that advice or would that instruction even be given when you're racing anyone else than your teammate? I think you know the answer.

Those race edits are edited in such a way to make it look like thats what is being said at that time, for all we know those message where given after the overtakes.

ExtraKr1spy said:

People seem to forget that toyota was only ahead of LH on the last lap because they chose to stay out and not pit for inters, the toyota was behind LH before he pitted! Before the rain LH was cruising to an easy 4th to win the WDC.

rossonero

Didn't know about race edits on f1.com, but it sure does seem useful! The Korea one isn't up yet or so it seems, how long does it take for them to upload?

Britprog

rossonero said:
Didn't know about race edits on f1.com, but it sure does seem useful! The Korea one isn't up yet or so it seems, how long does it take for them to upload?

Normally the hot qualifiying lap is up on the sunday after the race weekend, the race edit normally shows up a day after.

Goldrusher

2011 calendar:

13/03 Bahrain
27/03 Australia
10/04 Malaysia
17/04 China*
08/05 Turkey
22/05 Spain
29/05 Monaco
12/06 Canada
26/06 Europe
10/07 Great Britain
24/07 Germany
31/07 Hungary
28/08 Belgium
11/09 Italy
25/09 Singapore
09/10 Japan
16/10 Korea
30/10 India*
13/11 Abu Dhabi
27/11 Brazil

* Subject to the homologation of the circuit.

The Delhi race is provisional and subject to the new circuit being homologated by the FIA, while Shanghai's licence has expired and the facility needs to complete some upgrades before being granted a new one.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87893

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom