• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

avaya said:
There is no inherent fairness at all. It is not in his hands. He has to hope that Alonso makes huge mistakes. Alonso does not make huge mistakes in crunch situations.

Well, Alonso's team on the other hand... :lol

Surprised that Christian Horner accepted the Constructor's Trophy for Red Bull's historic first Constructor's World Championship.

I would have thought Helmut Marko, the team principal, would have had the honors. :p

Juicy Bob

avaya said:
There is no inherent fairness at all. It is not in his hands. He has to hope that Alonso makes huge mistakes. Alonso does not make huge mistakes in crunch situations.

True. But think of all the things that could happen next week. Alonso could get a penalty, Webber could crash into him, Hamilton could take points off Fernando, all sorts of stuff could happen that could give Vettel a chance. I'd much rather Webber win, but if you look at how good Red Bull have been, they should be able to take a 1-2 next week, which would give Webber the championship as long as he wins.

:lol :lol :lol

Red Bull

:lol :lol :lol

Juicy Bob said:
True. But think of all the things that could happen next week. Alonso could get a penalty, Webber could crash into him, Hamilton could take points off Fernando, all sorts of stuff could happen that could give Vettel a chance. I'd much rather Webber win, but if you look at how good Red Bull have been, they should be able to take a 1-2 next week, which would give Webber the championship as long as he wins.

He's only in the hunt thanks to the superior Red Bull chassis. Ran out of "talent" in China(was already choking before that). He may win but his talent is not WDC level.

avaya

Juicy Bob said:

Again you come down to the point: If Vettel beats Alonso does he win? No. If Webber had been swapped today and he finishes ahead of Alonso next week does he win? Yes.

It would have been in Webber's hands. He would have been red hot favourite to win. Alonso would have had to beat Webber.

Next week the likelihood of shocks is reduced because it doesn't rain in the desert.

It is complete madness on Red Bull's part. They don't deserve to win shit for their incredible stupidity in this regard.

TylerD

Now imagine you have to ship everything from Sao Paulo to Abu Dhabi to get ready to do this again in 5 days...

On SPEED they had more of the post race interview and Vettel jokingly mentioned that it will be very difficult to make up the 16 points but he wouldn't mind seeing some Ferrari smoke and hopes for a very good finish and maybe not a finish for Alonso. :lol

7530.jpg

7523.jpg

Jheeez!

Lince

Banned
instead of leaving another childish "anyone but driver X" comment I'll just say Webber deserves it more than anyone as his career is coming to an end and he clearly has some opposition from within his own team.

did Massa race today btw?

Lince said:
instead of leaving another childish "anything but driver X" comment I'll just say Webber deserves it more than anyone as his career is coming to an end and he clearly has some opposition from within his own team.

Please. Its F1 not a charity. Coulthard and Barrichello would be ahead of Webber in that charity line.

He doesn't deserve it cause he has a dominant car and he still couldn't win it. He was no where to be seen early in the season when Vettel had car troubles. He had a string of races recently where he had poor starts and fell to mid pack. He tried to catch Vettel and pull away from Alonso in China and he spun on his own. All the WDC drivers made mistakes this season but Webber is making them as the pressure of the championship intensifies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Nice pit babe pics. That hot with the black hair is the one that the camera crew were focusing on. My favourite is the one on the very left.

avaya

Juicy Bob said:
Germany established that Alonso was the number 1 and Massa was his wingman. His only job became to take points off of Alonso's rivals and he's only really achieved that in Italy.

The incident gave Alonso 7pts.

He would be heading to Abu Dhabi with only a 1pt lead at this point without that. Saying it did not impact the championship is nonsensical.

Hah, Mark Webber attacking Seb with a fire extinguisher mid-interview on the forum.

avaya said:
He would be heading to Abu Dhabi with only a 1pt lead at this point without that. Saying it did not impact the championship is nonsensical.

He said Massa had had no impact SINCE Germany

TylerD said:
Now imagine you have to ship everything from Sao Paulo to Abu Dhabi to get ready to do this again in 5 days...

On SPEED they had more of the post race interview and Vettel jokingly mentioned that it will be very difficult to make up the 16 points but he wouldn't mind seeing some Ferrari smoke and hopes for a very good finish and maybe not a finish for Alonso. :lol
That was funny. Especially given how placid Fernando was during the interviews. He doesn't seem worried at all.

So, if I'm computing this correctly, for Vettel to win the championship:

Vettel has to be 1st.
Fernando has to finish 6th or less. If Alonso finishes 5th, he beats Vettel on race finishes as they'd be tied for wins.
Doesn't matter if Webber finishes 2nd as Webber would only have four wins to Vettel and Alonso's five.

OR

Vettel has to finish 2nd.
Fernando has to finish 9th.
Webber has to finish 5th.

Anything else, and Vettel can't win the championship. Fantastic job RBR. I expect the paddock, up and down, is laughing at RBR's dishonest claims of driver neutrality... All so Marko can have his ego stroked.

Barring any weirdness, Alonso is the champion. While I'd rather see Webber win, Alonso drove fantastically after the early season doldrums. He'd be a worthy champion.

ps For Hamilton to win, all three front-runners must DNF and Hamilton finish first.

wonderkins said:
That was funny. Especially given how placid Fernando was during the interviews. He doesn't seem worried at all.

So, if I'm computing this correctly, for Vettel to win the championship:

Vettel has to be 1st.
Fernando has to finish 6th or less. If Alonso finishes 5th, he beats Vettel on race finishes as they'd be tied for wins.
Doesn't matter if Webber finishes 2nd as Webber would only have four wins to Vettel and Alonso's five.

OR

Vettel has to finish 2nd.
Fernando has to finish 9th.
Webber has to finish 5th.

Anything else, and Vettel can't win the championship. Fantastic job RBR. I expect the paddock, up and down, is laughing at RBR's dishonest claims of driver neutrality... All so Marko can have his ego stroked.

Barring any weirdness, Alonso is the champion. While I'd rather see Webber win, Alonso drove fantastically after the early season doldrums. He'd be a worthy champion.

ps For Hamilton to win, all three front-runners must DNF and Hamilton finish first.

Alonso just needs to finish 2nd and he is champion, it is just a case of splitting the two RBR cars and I expect the F10 to be more competitive at Yas Marina with Red Bull than it was today.

It would be a remarkable victory for Fernando when you consider where he was in the WDC after Silverstone.

anonnumber6 said:
Alonso just needs to finish 2nd and he is champion, it is just a case of splitting the two RBR cars and I expect the F10 to be more competitive at Yas Marina with Red Bull than it was today.

It would be a remarkable victory for Fernando when you consider where he was in the WDC after Silverstone.
I agree. Alonso has been remarkable. I've always admired his aggressive style. His attitude seems to be that he doesn't want to win, he will win.

Hamilton did well given the pace of the McLaren. I was being mean in saying that he can only win with the others DNFing. But still, he'd have to hope to finish 1st, that Alonso finishes 11th or lower, that Vettel finishes 3rd, and that Webber finish 6th or lower to win the championship. Ouch.

navanman

Thanks wonder kin, great chart. Shows how bad a decision it was to let Vettel win, bar a disaster there is no way vettel can win the WDC.

TylerD

Horner said that if there is a chance for one of their drivers to win the WDC over a competing team that they would do whatever necessary for the benefit of the team in the waning stages of the GP.

If Webber takes P1 and Alonso takes P3 it is still Webber's title.

I don't see RBR being as good at Yas Marina so it might be a really tough fight.

navanman said:
Thanks wonder kin, great chart. Shows how bad a decision it was to let Vettel win, bar a disaster there is no way vettel can win the WDC.
To me it represents a perfect example of "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

While certainly the manufacturer championship is important in terms of development dollars, having the world champion brings fans. And fans are the lifeblood of any sport. Each additional fan, no matter how marginal the number, is good for the sport and each individual team. Sponsors want drivers at events, not car parts; preferably, champions. If Alonso wins, only the bitter will harp about team orders. All other fans will boo or cheer Alonso, not caring about team orders, and then hope their guy takes down Alonso next season.

RBR has attempted to be above politics but has revealed itself to be more mired in them than Ferrari. Ferrari!!! At least Maranello, no matter how cheeky the play-acting, ultimately own up to it in their usually strident way. Marko, Horner, and Mateschitz can suck it.

TylerD said:
Horner said that if there is a chance for one of their drivers to win the WDC over a competing team that they would do whatever necessary for the benefit of the team in the waning stages of the GP.
I'll believe him when we see it. Otherwise, I'll still question whether he truly is team principal in more than mere title.

TylerD

wonderkins said:
I'll believe him when we see it. Otherwise, I'll still question whether he truly is team principal in more than mere title.

Yeah, we will know for sure who the big boss is if that situation happens and the order stays the same. They would be handing Ferrari the WDC though... I will be completely shocked if RBR throws away the title just because the preferred driver isn't going to win it.

Shaneus

TylerD said:

If Webber takes P1 and Alonso takes P3 it is still Webber's title.

I don't see RBR being as good at Yas Marina so it might be a really tough fight.
Just woke up to hear the news... heard "RBR was dominant in the F1 last night" (awesome!) "with German Sebastien Vettel first, Australia's Mark Webber second and Alonso third, keeping the championship race alive" (fuck)

Seriously, fuck you RBR. I don't know how easy it would've been for RBR to get Webber ahead of Vettel without looking obvious, but if it's the same result this coming race as the last, I'll be fucking ropeable. I'll be hoping for an RBR 1-2 with Webber winning, but the chances of that happening are slim to fuck-all.

Chris R

Anyone but Webber for drivers champion :D

That being said, bring back refueling and get lapped cars out of the way on SC restarts.

Jinjo

rhfb said:
Anyone but Webber for drivers champion :D

That being said, bring back refueling and get lapped cars out of the way on SC restarts.

Yes, that rule is inconsistent as fuck. At times they're allowing all relapped cars past, but at other times they just leave it as is? We've been robbed from an epic restart today.

RBR have been huge idiots today. Now the "easiest" way for them to win the WDC is to have a Webber 1-2 followed by Alonso. I'm calling it now, they'll get that 1-2 and in the closing laps Vettel's engine will crap out. They'll be crying for that single point. Webber will have lost the WDC because the team was unwilling to make the damn decision when it needed to be made.

Lewis is out of contention and has been since Singapore, much to my dismay, but that's the bitter truth.

Massa

Lince said:
instead of leaving another childish "anyone but driver X" comment I'll just say Webber deserves it more than anyone as his career is coming to an end and he clearly has some opposition from within his own team.

You probably missed the Ferrari pit stop crew at work.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Please. Its F1 not a charity. Coulthard and Barrichello would be ahead of Webber in that charity line.

He doesn't deserve it cause he has a dominant car and he still couldn't win it. He was no where to be seen early in the season when Vettel had car troubles. He had a string of races recently where he had poor starts and fell to mid pack. He tried to catch Vettel and pull away from Alonso in China and he spun on his own. All the WDC drivers made mistakes this season but Webber is making them as the pressure of the championship intensifies.

Sorry but that's BS. If Webber finishes first he will be a deserving champion, that's how F1 works. It was BS last year when people were talking about Button and it's the same this year.

The only argument that could be made is that Alonso got an extra 7 points by clearly breaking the rules of the sport. As far as mistakes go they all made plenty.

Bah, Hamilton isn't winning me £200 :lol I'm backing Webber now then!

Bit of a confusing race with all of the cars out of position. Fun to watch, but somewhat uneventful. I look forward a lot to next week however!

Chris R

Thing is it should have ever been close. If Vettle had reliable hardware and took a few less iffy chances or Webber showed up early in the season and then was able to get a clean start in the second half the WDC race would have ended up like last year aka decided after today.

KAP151

Only got 3 hours sleep thanks to that race and am supposed to be at work on 45 mins. Not going to happen.

This last race is going to kill me. Webber needs to win this championship for my health and well being if nothing else. :lol

Lince

Banned
Massa said:
The only argument that could be made is that Alonso got an extra 7 points by clearly breaking the rules of the sport. As far as mistakes go they all made plenty.

Alonso broke nothing, he overtook a car in front that deliberately slowed down, Alonso didn't physically manipulate the machinery of said car from inside his own car, if you're talking about the team then I agree, that was very unethical from Ferrari and they broke the rules, same as they did with Kimi in 2007, same as Glock in 2008, and probably same as RBR next Sunday.

Shaneus

I'm still really, really confused by the occasional Webber pure hate that shows itself around here. Other than him being a little soft at Korea (and as if you could blame him, being c'ship leader, compared to Hamilton who had nothing to lose) he's been an incredibly professional driver both on and off the field. Can't say that for the majority of drivers, least of all the two other main contenders for the championship.

Even if you mainly follow another driver, I just can't see how you'd be pissed if he won the title.

Jinjo

Lince said:
Alonso broke nothing, he overtook a car in front that deliberately slowed down, Alonso didn't physically manipulate the machinery of said car from inside his own car, if you're talking about the team then I agree, that was very unethical from Ferrari and they broke the rules, same as they did with Kimi in 2007, same as Glock in 2008, and probably same as RBR next Sunday.

:lol

Shaneus said:
I'm still really, really confused by the occasional Webber pure hate that shows itself around here. Other than him being a little soft at Korea (and as if you could blame him, being c'ship leader, compared to Hamilton who had nothing to lose) he's been an incredibly professional driver both on and off the field. Can't say that for the majority of drivers, least of all the two other main contenders for the championship.

Even if you mainly follow another driver, I just can't see how you'd be pissed if he won the title.

Webber(and Vettel) have shown this year he's a third tier(maybe second on a good day) driver that has a dominant car. The car can only help him so much(and its helped a shit load) but he's shown the pressure is getting to him. Its exciting the drivers championship is going to the last race but the RB6 is such a superior car that it should have been clinched long ago.

Its the not the World Nice Guy Championship. Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton all have an asshole in them. "Nice" guys can be champions but they still need considerable talent to win(Hakkinen).

Best drivers in the best cars = Schumacher years all over again. AKA the thing that made me stop watching F1 all those years ago.

Fuck that. Webber and Vettel having flaws and not dominating this year is reason enough for my love, as a spectator of the sport. It's made things interesting.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Best drivers in the best cars = Schumacher years all over again. AKA the thing that made me stop watching F1 all those years ago.

Fuck that. Webber and Vettel having flaws and not dominating this year is reason enough for my love, as a spectator of the sport. It's made things interesting.

It may be boring having a team dominate but if their hard work resulted in the most dominant car in F1 then they deserve to win as much as they can. Red Bull has been on pole for 14/18 races and have only won 8 of those races.

Yup, and if they won all of those it would've been boring.

I don't care who is the most skilled and "deserves" to win. I'm a spectator and want as much drama and excitement as possible. If RB had the best drivers who had 1st and 2nd in every race I would lose interest after half a season.

Shaneus

ExtraKr1spy said:
Webber(and Vettel) have shown this year he's a third tier(maybe second on a good day) driver that has a dominant car. The car can only help him so much(and its helped a shit load) but he's shown the pressure is getting to him. Its exciting the drivers championship is going to the last race but the RB6 is such a superior car that it should have been clinched long ago.

Its the not the World Nice Guy Championship. Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton all have an asshole in them. "Nice" guys can be champions but they still need considerable talent to win(Hakkinen).
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. You're right, too... someone like Alonso, Hamilton or Button (even a few others) in the RB6 would've completely dominated this year, whereas the guys currently driving for RBR haven't capitalized much, if at all.

Would it be a different story if Webber and Vettel were so (results-wise) evenly matched? Who knows... but it's pretty clear that throughout Webber's tenure at RBR, he's been the second driver, first to Coulthard then to Vettel. He's just managed to really step up his game this year to be Mr. Consistency.

Perhaps part of the reason RBR are still trying to back Vettel is that they don't want to be proven wrong in their choice by winning a WDC with someone who is known to be their second driver? Maybe they think it'll make them look bad... but instead makes them look like complete douchebags.

If Alonso gets it, it'll be the ultimate finger to RBR (which I'll be happy about). If Webber gets it, same deal :lol

PS. I fucking love this photo:
Image.EC51B595-13E3-4AA0-8CAF-BE05C12CB1B1@home.jpg

Foliorum Viridum said:

But really with a car that is the fastest in the field by some margin on most tracks on the calender they should have had both championships won a long time ago.

To not convert pole and front row lockouts into race victories and 1-2s on a number of occasions is telling.

Alonso/Schumacher/Hakkinen are great at winning championships because, to coin a phrase, they maximise their potential in most races.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree.

What I'm saying is I'm thankful the situation is how it is, as this is the first entertaining season in about a decade for me personally. I fucking love it.

navanman

Classic quote from Mateschitz today, may as well not turn up at the last race then!

But this morning I picked up some quotes from Austrian colleagues, from Red Bull drinks company boss Dietrich Mateschitz which explain why Red Bull managed the race as they did today. He said that he didn’t want to ‘manipulate’ things between his drivers even if it meant losing the title to Alonso.

Speaking in Austrian newspaper Kliene Zeitung, he said, “Let the two drivers race and what will be will be. if Alonso wins we will have been unlucky. I predict a Hollywood ending. Worst case scenario we don’t become champion? We’ll do it next year. But our philosophy stays the same because this is sport and it must remain sport. We don’t manipulate things like Ferrari do.”

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/11/red-bull-boss-no-driver-favouritism-i-dont-care-if-we-lose/

moojito

Well I for one fully agree with the guy quoted above. I also applaud him for speaking his mind plainly, not this politician type bullshit coming from each and every driver and principle in F1 at the moment. I can't stand watching their lame attempts at avoiding answering questions.

navanman

moojito said:
Well I for one fully agree with the guy quoted above. I also applaud him for speaking his mind plainly, not this politician type bullshit coming from each and every driver and principle in F1 at the moment. I can't stand watching their lame attempts at avoiding answering questions.

But the quote from him is totally hypocritical!!
They already have done the same as Ferrari this year. The Vettel/Webber crash in Turkey which was meant to be exactly like Massa/Alonso in Germany except they crashed and Webber getting the shaft with old front wing in Silverstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom