• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
moojito said:
Well I for one fully agree with the guy quoted above. I also applaud him for speaking his mind plainly, not this politician type bullshit coming from each and every driver and principle in F1 at the moment. I can't stand watching their lame attempts at avoiding answering questions.

I sort of feel the same. Good race but I don't understand why they didn't reorder the cars under safety car. The ensuing madness was awful and dangerous.

Jinjo

Mateschitz is an idiot. I trust Horner and even Vettel in doing the right thing if it comes to that.

Edit: After reading the news item again, it's more about what happened Brazil than it is about what's going to happen in Abu Dhabi. Mateschitz is still an idiot though.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Brilliant. We're now in a situation where if Alonso wins it's almost guaranteed that it will only be by a margin less than the points that he obtained in a clear infraction of the rules of the sport. That's got to be great for F1's image.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So, Abu Dhabi torpedo race awaits.

Most epic scenario: due to malfunctions / quoli blunder / Bernie hidden orders, leading three start from the back of the grid :lol

Deadman

iapetus said:
Brilliant. We're now in a situation where if Alonso wins it's almost guaranteed that it will only be by a margin less than the points that he obtained in a clear infraction of the rules of the sport. That's got to be great for F1's image.

Funny thing is that to stop him winning the exact same rule needs to be broken again.

although actually i still think hamilton will win.

Leunam

Deadman said:
Funny thing is that to stop him winning the exact same rule needs to be broken again.

I'm hoping the underground pit lane exit will cause some fuck ups.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Deadman said:

Yep. Oh well. If he wins it, he deserves it. I just hope they make it crystal clear for next year.

I actually half expected Massa to take out either Vettel or Webber after the SC. He was being all itchy so I was sort of on the edge of my seat thinking he's gonna torpedo one of them in a corner saying he didn't see.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
So thanks to the Hulk, Williams are 1 point ahead of Force India in 6th place in WCC.
It will be worth a huge amount to them to stay in 6th now, as they are losing 3 title sponsors next year (RBS, Philips & Air Asia).

Shaneus

Can't believe I didn't realise it earlier, but in the last few posts, I can't believe I never thought that Vettel could actually take out Alonso completely! If there's one thing Vettel is more than capable of, it's fucking up an overtaking maneuver. I don't know Abu Dhabi well enough, but I'm sure there are plenty of places for him to do that should he qualify slower than him (or the pit crew fucks up "accidentally").

RBR have a chance to almost completely redeem themselves this race weekend. From comments I read from Vettel yesterday (don't know if they can be sourced) it sounds like he'd be willing to assist Webber if he felt that was the best chance for the team to get a WDC.

What's the situation with Webber's engine?

Was the overheating in Brazil a one of anomaly or maybe the last few engines they've gotten from Renault were a bad batch?

If Vettel is as fast as he was in Brazil and Alonso as close to the RB's then they'll have to be very careful with team orders. Vettel has to slow down his pace and allow Webber through but he'll also have to stay back from Webber and then he'll have to deal with Alonso.

Juicy Bob

If Vettel's leading and Webber's second, Vettel will have no chance to win the title and will almost certainly move over. Red Bull must be convinced that they'll be out in front next week.

Juicy Bob said:
If Vettel's leading and Webber's second, Vettel will have no chance to win the title and will almost certainly move over. Red Bull must be convinced that they'll be out in front next week.

Yeah I have no doubt that in those circumstances, Vettel will move over (unless there's something going on at RBR that we don't know about, ie. they know Webber will leave with the championship if he wins and the management order Vettel to stay out in front... but I think that's very unlikely).

Thing is, if they really would prefer Vettel to win over Webber, I don't think they'd dare so openly fuck him over at their own cost. If they don't want Webber to win, they won't let him get into a position to be leading the race in the first place. His car will be 'slower', he'll be disadvantaged on strategy etc etc.

S. L.

Juicy Bob said:
RBR should order Webber to take out Alonso :D :D :D

Pimpwerx

S. L. said:
we gained two points over AtlasF1 again :D :D
HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
My fall in the fantasy league has been epic. A combination of bannings, missed bonus questions, out-of-town weddings and me just not giving a shit this past weekend has made Redshift Racing more like Redshit Racing. Oh well...I'll get my hat next season. PEACE.

S. L.

Pimpwerx said:
My fall in the fantasy league has been epic. A combination of bannings, missed bonus questions, out-of-town weddings and me just not giving a shit this past weekend has made Redshift Racing more like Redshit Racing. Oh well...I'll get my hat next season. PEACE.
every hat winner should post a pic with the hat on for the eternal gaf-f1 gallery :D

mclaren777

A few races back someone posted a GIF of Vettel tipping Alonso's hat down but it exceeded the bandwidth limit.

Does anybody have a working link to that image?

Yoritomo

j1135i.gif

mrWalrus

Banned
^ That has to be one of the best things ever.

Vettel is the perfect ambassador for F1 for the next decade. I hope the cards align so he wins it this year.

jey_16

Banned
Vettel actually comes off as quite decent in interviews unlike some of the other drivers who spout the usual bull. I think most of the hate comes from his on track endeavors.

I am so excited for Sunday, I still can't imagine Alonso winning it considering how far back he was just a few races ago but i'm hoping he does :D

this is probably just lazy of me, but could one of you guys run through the options for the last race? I'm not braining so well today.

What happens if Vettel wins, Alonso crashes, Webber 3rd etc, to see the possible outcomes?

Vettel P1
Webber P2
Alonso P5

Would be the most epic result ever. All three would have the exact points then and Vettel would be WDC because of one 4th place more then Alonso.

Britprog

keyboardcat said:
this is probably just lazy of me, but could one of you guys run through the options for the last race? I'm not braining so well today.

What happens if Vettel wins, Alonso crashes, Webber 3rd etc, to see the possible outcomes?

Ok here we go

1 Vet
2 Web
Alo 5th or below = Vet WDC
(Web, Vet & Alo same points but Vet & Alo have 5 wins each to Web 4, Vet & Alo would both have two 2nd and three 3rd each, then Vet will claim it with more 4th) Thanks WorriedCitizen

1 Web
2 Vet
3 Alo = Web WDC

1 Ham
Vet 3rd or below
Web 6th or below
Alo no points = Ham WDC

Yoritomo

jey_16 said:
Vettel actually comes off as quite decent in interviews unlike some of the other drivers who spout the usual bull. I think most of the hate comes from his on track endeavors.

I am so excited for Sunday, I still can't imagine Alonso winning it considering how far back he was just a few races ago but i'm hoping he does :D

The finger (which was almost completely severed in a euroseries race at Spa, so it has a symbolic meaning when he waves it around.) And Helmut Marko are the main reasons people don't like Vettel. That and ramming dudes but you know there's lots of that to go around in F1.

Shaneus

Little old. but I've just found this which should clear everything up for all:
Who needs what to win the title
Fernando Alonso
- A victory or second place in UAE will ensure he wins his third World title regardless of what the other contenders do
- If Webber wins, he needs to finish P2
- If Webber finishes P2, he needs to finish at least P5
- If Webber finishes P3, he needs to finish at least P6
- If Webber finishes P4, he needs to finish at least P8
- If Webber finishes P5, he needs to finish at least P9
- If Vettel wins, he needs to finish at least P4
- If Vettel finishes P2, he needs to finish at least P8

Mark Webber
- Webber can't afford to finish lower than fifth if he wants to stand any chance of winning his maiden Championship
- If he wins, Alonso needs to finish no higher than P3
- If he finishes P2, Alonso needs to finish no higher than P6 and Vettel no higher than P2
- If he finishes P3, Alonso needs to finish no higher than P7 and Vettel no higher than P2
- If he finishes P4, Alonso needs to be finish no higher than P9 and Vettel no higher than P2
- If he finishes P5, Alonso needs to finish P10 and Vettel no higher than P3

Sebastian Vettel
- Any position lower than second will see him finish the season empty handed
- If he wins, he needs Alonso to finish P5 or lower
- If he finishes P2, he needs Alonso to finish no higher than P9 and Webber no higher than P5

Lewis Hamilton
- He needs to win to stand any chance of winning a second title
- If he wins, Alonso needs to finish P11 or lower, Webber needs to finish P6 or lower and Vettel needs to finish no higher than P3
And this, also very interesting...
Red Bull technical chief Adrian Newey has urged Sebastian Vettel to be "magnanimous" should he find himself in a position where he can help Mark Webber become Formula One World Champion.
The more I think about it, the more I can see Vettel actually being the bigger man and helping the team to WDC if it means he has to do so. I have the feeling that he knows he'll be around far longer than Webber and doesn't have as great a chance to win this year (at this point in time) as the years to come.

Dead Man

Yoritomo said:
The finger (which was almost completely severed in a euroseries race at Spa, so it has a symbolic meaning when he waves it around.) And Helmut Marko are the main reasons people don't like Vettel. That and ramming dudes but you know there's lots of that to go around in F1.
If you go back and read my responses at the start of this thread, I was hoping for vettel to do well, and really liked the kid. Now, not so much. It's not just Marko, its the way RBR seems built around him to the exclusion of Mark, and the way he doesn't seem to see that.

Edit: Oh, and his crashes. Not a fan of that or his overtaking skills.

I think realistically if the most of the people who hate Webber actually wanted him to win this year, he would retire then you would be happy.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yoritomo said:
Its obviously all just an act.

In reality, Vettel is actually quite an evil kid. Its reported that he pointed a gun at Christian Horner and demanded that they favor him. He also cheats and puts a small turbocharger on his engine every race(thats why he's consistently a tenth or so faster than Webber in qualifying).

His finger pointing is probably the most evil act of all. Seriously. I dont have an explanation for it. Its just EVIL. The worst, most obnoxious, annoying thing I've ever seen anybody ever do. Drivers simply aren't supposed to celebrate their great results like that. There's a strict guideline to follow in terms of what they are supposed to do. In fact, I'm surprised Vettel hasn't been deducted points for it, as its clearly not within the regulations.

I cant imagine why anybody would ever like Vettel. Its just SOOO obvious how horrible a person he is. Look how fake that smile is in that GIF. What a wanker. We need less of this type of behavior. Makes me miss Kimi Raikkonen's press conferences, thats for sure. THATS what F1 should be like.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like one year was enough for Virgin as they have sold a controlling stake in the company to Russian supercar company (I've never heard of) called Marussia Motors.

The team will be re-branded as Marussia Virgin Racing, only keeping the Virgin name as its got brand recognition.

Racing driver and Russian Top Gear presenter Nikolai Fomenko heads the Russian sponsors.

Marussia boss Nikolay Fomenko said: “This is the realisation of a dream for Marussia Motors. While manufacturing, launching and marketing the Marussia B1, B2 and other concepts in Europe we will have an F1 team to promote these activities and demonstrate to the world that a new car manufacturer has arrived from Russia with truly international ambitions.”

Marussia was founded in 2007 by Fomenko, a TV presenter and sometime racing driver. It had not yet delivered any cars to customers but show appearances have attracted attention.

Sounds like a perfect partnership then!

Dead Man

navanman said:
Looks like one year was enough for Virgin as they have sold a controlling stake in the company to Russian supercar company (I've never heard of) called Marussia Motors.

The team will be re-branded as Marussia Virgin Racing, only keeping the Virgin name as its got brand recognition.

Racing driver and Russian Top Gear presenter Nikolai Fomenko heads the Russian sponsors.

Sounds like a perfect partnership then!
Marussia almost make some nice cars. By almost, I mean I think they are almost in production.. They have a few other prototype models too.

Z4TIf.jpg

Edit:Never mind, you edited! :lol

S. L.

So who stands behind Marussia that they have that kind of money? are they privately owned? Mystery investors? Putin? :lol
Wiki and google don't really reveal anything aside from Nikolay Fomenko being somehow involved.

moojito

I wonder if that'll affect Petrov's seat, as maybe the russian money he brings will want to go with the russian owned car? Hell, maybe Petrov will get turfed out of Renault and end up with them.

Deadman

Bonus question is up, although i imagine everyone has all the money they want by now.

Are we going to use the same site for another fantasy league next year? I hope we do, ive enjoyed it alot.

Gav

Someones pockets - looks like Alonsos - emptied of everything at 34 seconds :lol

And, apparently its raining, hard, at Abu Dhabi this morning!

Jinjo

It's like someone up there really wanted to give F1/racing fans a treat this year. After this great season already, how awesome would a season finisher in the rain in the desert be? :lol

S. L.

OMB this is gonna be so exciting. I'm doing everything in my power to make Alonso's engine fail so Vettel can rightfully be the king of formula 1!

Jinjo

S. L. said:
OMB this is gonna be so exciting. I'm doing everything in my power to make Alonso's engine fail, Webber come in 6th and Vettel 3th so Hamilton can rightfully be the king of formula 1!

BELIEVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom