• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Pimpwerx said:
Works for me, since practices see light traffic, qualies a lot of people sleep through, and race posts are usually along the lines of, "LOL @ the Virgin going down another lap." That might actually work. I trust practice and race classifications should be listed in this thread and not the other. PEACE.
Which also would be nice if people are trying to avoid race results due to DVRing the race and not watching it yet. Sounds like a great balance. Maybe one post on Thursday with the whole race weekend schedule, track and locale info, ect. Followed by the discussion of the race weekend during the events.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sounds like a good plan. That way we don't clutter the Motorsport thread with our gibberish in-race :lol

h3ro

speedpop said:
Sounds like a good plan. That way we don't clutter the Motorsport thread with our gibberish in-race :lol

Yeah, posts that only contain:

lolpiquet and a bunch of :lol

don't really do much for discussion. :D

Glad I could help. Forza Ferrari and 'Nando!

Wes

venison crêpe
Hulkenburg rocking the tests today. This could be Year of the Rookies :D

Oh crap sorry I just read up. Arghhhhhh the embarassment :(

The wait is killing me!

I record each qualifying/race, wait until the family are in bed and then I sit and relax for a few hours eating nothing but high calorie treats. F1 season is awesome.

Mr. Sam

Opus Angelorum said:
I record each qualifying/race, wait until the family are in bed and then I sit and relax for a few hours eating nothing but high calorie treats. F1 season is awesome.

I hear that.

Eddie Jordan seems almost angry in this Schumacher discussion.

Edit: He has some great insight though.

I've set up a fantasy F1 league on this site; http://www.f1racemanager.com/

It would be great if some of you guys could join as well, a season long league contested by members of this thread would be pretty entertaining I reckon.

The private subleague is called NeoGAF, and the password is gaffers.

To join the NeoGAF league, go to the edit profile option, and choose the change subleague option.

==========================================================

The rules
How does this game work?

You manage a virtual Formula 1 team consisting of two drivers, a chassis, an engine and a fuel supplier. If your team does well in the real Grand Prix events, you score points. Each point earns you additional money that you can use to improve your team. See the table below for the scoring system.

How many points does a driver, chassis, etc. score in this game?

Your two drivers, chassis, engine and fuel supplier score points based on the results of both Qualifying and the Race. Every point you score will get you an extra ten thousand playing money.

What's a Subleague?

That's a special group where friends can compete against each other instead of against the whole world.
There are private and public subleagues. Everybody can join a public subleague. A private subleague is protected with a password and can only be joined by players who know the password. You can make a subleague yourself. You can make it private and let only people you know join, e.g. people from work or school. Or you can make it public and let everybody join.

What are Bonus Questions?

In between Formula 1 weekends we present you with a multiple choice question. You'll have a few days to answer. If your answer is correct, you will receive extra money to improve your team.

What are Bets?

Before each race weekend you can bet on who will reach pole position, who will win the race, who will drop out first, etc. For each correct prediction you will receive 400.000 playing money to improve your team.

Why play with F1RaceManager.com?

F1RaceManager.com has some unique playing options that you won't find in other online F1 management games:

» Clear and very easy to use interface.
» Easy to make (free) changes to your team until 1 hour before qualifying.
» Bonus Questions and Bets (see above).
» Selling fee is based on subleague position. If you make the wrong choices at first, you still have a chance to win.
» Public and Private subleagues (see above).
» Subleague competition with prizes.

Is it free?

Yes, F1RaceManager.com is free. And we don't sell or give away e-mail addresses. Don't worry.

Can I win something?

Yes, you can! There's a Subleague Competition. If your subleague has 6 or more players your subleague plays in the Subleague Competition. The best subleague at the end of the season will win 6 Formula 1 caps. Subleague scores are calculated by adding up the scores of all the players. That number is then divided by the number of players in that subleague.
During the season there will be other surprise prizes as well.
And of course you can organise prizes yourself with your friends.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I will miss Friday free practice, because of my GF, she wants to go skiing.

Big problem - it is almost 8 years from my last skiing adventure and i will probably end up in nearby hospital :lol

DrM said:
I will miss Friday free practice, because of my GF, she wants to go skiing.

Big problem - it is almost 8 years from my last skiing adventure and i will probably end up in nearby hospital :lol
Hope things go well.

A reminder of what's new in F1 this year, apart from Schumacher and the new teams.
In-race refuelling

This has been banned for the first time since 1993 and as a result the capacities of the cars' tanks have increased from around 80 litres to nearer 250 litres. The additional weight will really be a factor at the start of a race, meaning increased tyre and brake wear. Handling will change significantly throughout the course of the race as the load decreases. Pit stops remain for running repairs and tyre changes, and some are predicting they could be done and dusted in as little as two seconds.

Wheelbases

To accommodate the massive fuel load, cars will be wider and also have a longer wheelbase.

Weight

The minimum for each car has been increased to 620kg (up 15kg).

Tyres

Front tyres have been narrowed from 270mm to 245mm to improve the balance of the grip, but to cope with the extra weight of the cars, Bridgestone will be supplying a harder-compound tyre. Two dry-weather compounds will be made available and a driver must use both in the race unless wet-weather tyres are called for. Each driver will be allowed 11 sets of dry tyres per race weekend, down from 14 in 2009, and three of these sets are for practice only and must be returned before the start of qualifying, regardless of whether they are used or not. Wheel covers, which have been used by the teams since 2006, are also banned for 2010.

Qualifying

With 24 cars rather than last season's 20, the seven slowest cars in qualifying will drop out after the first 20-minute period (Q1) and these will form positions 18 to 24 on the grid. After the second 15-minute period (Q2) seven more will be eliminated, forming positions 11 to 17 on the grid. The top ten cars will then have a final ten minutes (Q3) to compete for the front of the grid. To add more spice, those competing in Q3 will have to start the grand prix on the same tyres and set-up, so anyone stealing a march with soft tyres in qualifying will have to work with the same set-up when the race starts, albeit with a lot more fuel on board.

The biggest change to the scoring system, with race winners now getting 25 points, second place earning 18, with the next eight drivers being awarded 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 and 1 respectively. The idea behind this is to reward cars and drivers further down the field, while the seven-point gap between first and second is aimed at ensuring drivers go for a win-at-all-costs approach.

1-46.png

Base: Woking, UK
Team Principal: Martin Whitmarsh
Technical Chief: Paddy Lowe
Drivers: J Button L Hamilton
Chassis: MP4-25
Engine: Mercedes-Benz FO 108X
Tyres: Bridgestone Potenza
First Season: 1966
World Championships: 8
Highest race finish: 1 (x164)
Pole Positions: 145
Fastest Laps: 136

Tough start to the season leaves Hamilton and Kovalainen struggling to score points, let alone victories. Hard work gradually turns the MP4-24 into a race winner, with Hamilton victorious in Hungary and Singapore, helping the team to a well-earned third in the standings, one point above Ferrari.

2-39.png

Base: Brackley, UK
Team Principal: Ross Brawn
Drivers: M Schumacher N Rosberg
Chassis: MGP W01
Engine: Mercedes-Benz
First Season: 2010
World Championships: 0
Highest race finish: 0 (x0)
Pole Positions: 0
Fastest Laps: 0

Having supplied engines to 2009 title winners Brawn GP, Mercedes buy a controlling stake and rebrand the team for 2010, thus forming the famous German automaker's first works F1 entry since 1955.

3-30.png

Base: Milton Keynes, UK
Team Principal: Christian Horner
Technical Chief: Adrian Newey
Drivers: S Vettel M Webber
Chassis: RB6
Engine: Renault RS27-2010
First Season: 2005
Highest race finish: 1 (x6)
Pole Positions: 5
Fastest Laps: 6

The quick RB5, and some great drives by Vettel and Webber, propel Red Bull Racing into the big time. Vettel scores their first pole and victory in China. Five more wins follow as the team dominate the latter part of the season, finishing runner-up in both championships as Brawn's only genuine title rivals.

4-26.png

Base: Maranello - Italy
Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali
Technical Chief: Aldo Costa
Drivers: F Massa F Alonso
Chassis: F10
Engine: Ferrari 056
First Season: 1950
World Championships: 16
Highest race finish: 1 (x210)
Pole Positions: 203
Fastest Laps: 219

Never in title contention thanks to rivals' superior progress, Massa's life-threatening accident (and his stand-ins' dearth of pace), and a lack of development as they opt to focus early on following season. More competitive midseason, with Spa win for Raikkonen, who is dropped for Alonso for 2010.

5-25.png

Base: Grove, UK
Team Principal: Frank Williams
Technical Chief: Sam Michael
Drivers: R Barrichello N Hulkenberg
Chassis: FW32
Engine: Cosworth CA2010
First Season: 1975
World Championships: 9
Highest race finish: 1 (x113)
Pole Positions: 125
Fastest Laps: 130

Fail to capitalise on being one of just three teams to boast innovative double diffuser at season's outset. FW31 proves consistent and reliable, but never quite has podium pace. Team will move from Toyota to Cosworth power for 2010, with all new line-up of Rubens Barrichello and Nico Hulkenberg.

6-23.png

Base: Enstone, UK
Team Principal: Eric Boullier
Technical Chief: James Allison
Drivers: R Kubica V Petrov
Chassis: R30
Engine: Renault RS27-2010
First Season: 1977
World Championships: 2
Highest race finish: 1 (x35)
Pole Positions: 51
Fastest Laps: 29

Unable to maintain late 2008 momentum. Even Alonso finds it tough to convert occasional strong grid slots into results. Piquet dropped in August and replaced by third driver Grosjean. Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds leave over conspiracy with Piquet to cause deliberate crash in '08 Singapore Grand Prix.

7-22.png

Base: Silverstone, UK
Team Principal: Vijay Mallya
Technical Chief: Mark Smith
Drivers: A Sutil V Liuzzi
Chassis: VJM03
Engine: Mercedes-Benz
First Season: 2008
Highest race finish: 2 (x1)
Pole Positions: 1
Fastest Laps: 1

Dramatic progress, with in-season upgrades boosting VJM02's pace, despite basic lack of downforce. Fisichella makes the breakthrough, with their first pole, points and podium in Belgium, before moving to Ferrari to replace the injured Massa, handing his seat to tester Liuzzi.

8-20.png

Base: Faenza, Italy
Team Principal: Franz Tost
Technical Chief: Giorgio Ascanelli
Drivers: S Buemi J Alguersuari
Chassis: STR5
First Season: 2006
Highest race finish: 1 (x1)

Slow start for the Italian team, with both Sebastien Bourdais and Sebastien Buemi struggling to qualify well. Bourdais replaced by 19 year-old Spaniard Jaime Alguersuari after nine rounds. Introduce a major car upgrade in Hungary, but it's not enough to prevent them finishing last in the standings.

9-15.png

Base: Norfolk, UK
Team Principal: Tony Fernandes
Technical Chief: Mike Gascoyne
Drivers: J Trulli H Kovalainen
Chassis: T127

The famous Lotus name returns to Formula One racing for the first time since 1994 with an all-new team backed by a Malaysian consortium including carmakers Proton, owners of Group Lotus. Initially based in the UK, with plans to move to a purpose-built headquarters in Kuala Lumpur.

10-14.png

Base: Madrid, Spain
Team Principal: Colin Kolles
Technical Chief: Toni Cuquerella
Drivers: K Chandhok B Senna
Chassis: HRT

New Spanish team founded by ex-driver Adrian Campos. Head offices in Madrid; technical centre in Valencia; chassis designed by Dallara. Taken over by investor Jose Ramon Carabante in February and renamed HRT. Colin Kolles (ex-Force India) new team principal.

11-9.png

Base: Hinwil, Switzerland
Team Principal: Peter Sauber
Technical Chief: Willy Rampf
Drivers: P de la Rosa K Kobayashi
Chassis: C29
First Season: 1993
Highest race finish: 1 (x1)
Fastest Laps: 2

Slow to get on top of the new regulations and podiums in Malaysia and Brazil are the rare highlights of a tough year in which they drop to sixth in the standings. BMW announce they will withdraw from F1 racing at the end of the season and in November sell the team back to founder Peter Sauber.

12-9.png

Base: Sheffield/Bicester, UK
Team Principal: John Booth
Technical Chief: Nick Wirth
Drivers: T Glock L di Grassi
Chassis: VR-01

After huge success in junior formulae, Manor Motorsport step up to F1 racing as Virgin Racing, with a car designed, tested and refined entirely in the digital domain using processes originally developed by technical director Nick Wirth's company, Wirth Research Limited.

Bahrain: Thursday and scrutineering, if there's going to be a problem with legality it will start today.
ScarbsF1

Edit: So, Mercedes' uber diffuser could be banned, as well as McLaren's rear wing concept.

dejan said:
I'm so ready for this. Alonso woo-hoo \o/

Look at him. He fucking knows!
That Massa will be more than a match for him. ;)

What a duel these two are set to have, it's just one of the many fascinating aspects to this season.

Hyphen

subzero9285 said:
ScarbsF1

Edit: So, Mercedes' uber diffuser could be banned, as well as McLaren's rear wing concept.

I think McLaren's rear wing has been declared legal by the FIA now.

Edit: Yep... Link

Jay Sosa

Aegus said:
That is a really strange photo. Alonso's body looks really really tiny.

Yup, he looks like a little boy :lol

I'm really looking forward to this season, didn't like the F1 since like Schumi started dominating(and after he quit it got completely boring), but it's kinda nice to see him coming cause I'll be happy everytime he doesn't win.

I'm just hoping that they try to, how should I put it, make the tracks look more lively and less monotone. You know more Rage Racer style :lol with aqueducts in the middle and some trees here and there, If I have to watch cars race for 2 hours without anyone overtaking I wanna at least see some variety on the side of the tracks.

Banner-20.png

The opening round of the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship season takes place at the Bahrain International Circuit. Built on former desert, the track sits about 30 kilometres south of the island kingdom’s capital city, Manama. In 2004 Bahrain became the first Middle Eastern country to host a round of the FIA Formula One World Championship; this is the second time it has hosted the season-opening Grand Prix – the first being in 2006.

Several changes have been made to the track for 2010. It’s now configured with inner and outer circuits, a new loop, and has 23 turns: 13 right-handers and 10 left-handers. The additional loop, starting just after the old turn four, brings eight new corners – a fast left leading into a sequence of five bends followed by a quick kink then a hairpin – all with a significant elevation change.

The layout will be a new challenge for the drivers and should add overtaking opportunities. Bahrian's desert location means sand blown on to the circuit by frequent strong winds can reduce grip levels. To help ensure maximum grip, the track surface was laid with a special type of sandstone. The Bahrain Grand Prix, with its Arabian climate and desert setting, presents competitors with a unique challenge: all must cope with heat, dehydration and sand.

The return of Michael Schumacher; four world champions on the grid; at least three leading teams in which team mates will be fighting head-to-head for the title honours; and the prospect of drivers having to display genuine finesse in nursing their tyres now that refuelling has been banned.

Then there’s Fernando Alonso, adding fresh charge to Ferrari, while Felipe Massa returns as healthy and determined as ever after his horrible accident at Hungaroring last July. Jenson Button is already settling in alongside Lewis Hamilton at McLaren, where he will be determined to prove that the 2008 champion is not going to wipe the floor with him.

Sebastien Vettel and Mark Webber are ready to go head-to-head at Red Bull, and owner Dietrich Mateschitz has made it clear he will accept nothing less than the world championship from one of them. The return of Lotus, meanwhile, spearheads the appearance of new teams from Virgin and HRT.

Each driver now gets only 11 sets of tyres per weekend, six sets of primes and five options. Three sets apply solely to Fridays, and must be handed back even if they aren’t used. And drivers from the Q3 session must start the race on the tyres on which they set their grid time.

The penalty for engine changes has effectively been doubled; it’s now 10 grid positions at the race at which the failure occurs, and for the next. The other significant change once again allows teams to run their third drivers on a Friday, provided they use the engine and tyres allocated to the nominated race driver of the relevant car.

Circuit

Circuit-5.png

Key.png

Sakhir

Race Date: 14 Mar 2010
Number of Laps: 49
Circuit Length: 6.299 km
Race Distance: 308.405 km
Lap Record: 1:30.252 - M Schumacher (2004)

Google maps view

Link

Onboard lap

Mark Webber

2009 recap

The 2009 Bahrain Grand Prix was the fourth race of the 2009 Formula One season.

Going into the round, Brawn GP driver Jenson Button led the Drivers' Championship by 6 points from team-mate Rubens Barrichello. Barrichello led Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull Racing and Timo Glock of Toyota F1 by 5 points in second. Brawn GP led the Chinese Grand Prix winners Red Bull by 16½ points in the Constructors' Championship. Toyota were a further point back and the only other team to hit double figures.

Ferrari were yet to score a point, and failure to do so in Bahrain would have resulted in Ferrari's worst ever start to a season in Formula One. Their previous worst start also came when they were Constructors' Champions; in the 1980 season the team scored no points until the fourth race, the 1980 United States Grand Prix West, where Jody Scheckter finished fifth.

Force India introduced a revised floor and diffuser in Bahrain for the Force India VJM02, as well as an upgraded front wing and reprofiled sidepods. Force India driver Giancarlo Fisichella welcomed the upgrades, hoping the car's lack of downforce would be addressed by the new modifications.

The race was won by Jenson Button for Brawn after starting from fourth on the grid. Sebastian Vettel finished second for Red Bull and Jarno Trulli finished third for Toyota. McLaren's Lewis Hamilton drove to fourth position, followed by the second Brawn of Rubens Barrichello. Kimi Räikkönen picked up Ferrari's first points of the season in sixth, whilst Toyota's Timo Glock and Renault's Fernando Alonso finished in seventh and eighth position.

Previous winners

2009 Jenson Button
2008 Felipe Massa
2007 Felipe Massa
2006 Fernando Alonso
2005 Fernando Alonso
2004 lMichael Schumacher

Championship standings

N/A

News

HP branding for Renault
The Renault F1 team has announced a sponsorship agreement with HP for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. The new deal means the HP branding will appear on the Renault cars from this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.

As part of the agreement, Renault will gain access to HP technology in order to improve on-track performance. "We are delighted to welcome a global leader of the stature of HP to our partner network," said Renault team chairman Gerard Lopez. "F1 has a proven ability to boost brand awareness around the world, and we are proud that Renault F1 Team will be HP's partner of choice in achieving this goal.

"Genii Capital believes that F1 can also be used as a very powerful business development platform. "We hope that HP can develop new business opportunities through Genii Capital's B2B platform and Mangrove Capital's access to exciting technology opportunities."
Whitmarsh: Teams will copy vent system
"People will look at what we have got on our car and I would imagine that most teams are now looking for how they would implement such a system," he told AUTOSPORT.

"I think there was a 'what is it?' question initially, then there was 'it can't be legal'. Now people are starting to understand it, there is 'how quickly can we implement it?' Most people are saying that it is something quite ingenious. This was a very creative and ingenious individual in our company who came up with the idea and we've developed it."

When asked if he had fears of a protest, Whitmarsh said: "From what I understand, there are no grounds for a protest.

"I don't think everyone yet understands the nature of the systems that are on our car. So if they put a protest in, it would potentially be on a wrong set of assumptions as to what we've got. So we will see."

McLaren's chances of holding onto the advantage it has got from the vent concept is boosted by the fact that teams this year have to homologate their chassis tubs – which means implementing the vent will not be easy.

Despite the homologation process, Whitmarsh still felt there was plenty of opportunity for rivals to introduce their own systems.

"If you are picking up on the inlet system, then I would imagine that for access reasons, firstly your nose box is approved and you'd have to re-test it if you wanted to put ducting through your nose, which you could do," he explained.

"But I'd also imagine that for access even just for pedal changes and various things in the front of the monocoque, ordinarily there are access panels that would give you the facility to put ducts in. I'm guessing, because I haven't looked. If you look on our car, there are a number of access panels that are in the homologated chassis and also the monocoque is homologated. You can change the nose."
Prost joins stewards for Bahrain GP
Four times world champion Alain Prost will be the drivers' representative on the stewards' panel at the Bahrain Grand Prix this weekend.

A former Formula 1 driver will join the stewards at every race this year as part of the FIA's efforts to ensure transparency and complete fairness in all decisions.

Prost contested 199 grands prix between 1980 and 1993, winning championships with McLaren in 1985, 1986 and 1989, and Williams in 1993.

He subsequently returned to the sport to run his own Prost Grand Prix team after taking over Ligier in 1997, although the squad folded due to a lack of sponsorship before the start of the 2002 season.

The 55-year-old Frenchman has since raced in the Andros Trophy ice racing series, where he is now a double champion.
Vettel: Hot weather could have a bearing
"You don't really know where you are, so we don't know where we are," Vettel told reporters in Bahrain.

"We think we are really up there. I think Ferrari looks extremely strong. You've got Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes and us there or thereabout in a couple of tenths."

Last year's runner-up reckons, however, that the difference in temperature between Spain - where pre-season testing took place - and Bahrain could alter things.

"Here it could be totally different because the temperatures are way different than what we had in Barcelona," the German said.

"We'll see. Maybe on Saturday we'll find out who is strong and who is not. I don't think tomorrow we will. And on Sunday we have the big unknown.

"Everyone's starting with lots of fuel. We don't really know how the race will unfold yet. It could be exciting and crazy and everyone will enjoy it.

"But it could be very boring and the way you are after five laps it could be where you are at the chequered flag as well."

He added: "It's pretty unknown what is going to happen right now. It's not a big secret that you should put money on those four teams. But four teams means eight drivers and I think all of them are in a position to win. So we'll see."

The Red Bull driver said he had no concerns about his car's reliability despite some glitches during testing.

"I think it's no secret that stopping on the circuit is not something that you want. First of all it means a problem and second it gives the opportunity for others to take pictures.

"So yes, we had to stop a couple of times but we had nothing to fix. In testing you don't want to take the risk to continue so if you see a loss of pressure or whatever you just shut the car down and bring it back to have a closer look. I think we have no problems to survive.
Ecclestone blames USF1 for Stefan failure
Ecclestone, F1's chief executive, said "it was difficult" for Stefan "because the other people had an entry and kept saying that they were going to be here, that there is no problem and everything is fine."

"As they had an entry we could not say 'sorry we don't believe you," the 79-year-old told his official website f1.com.

"I said that, and got a lot of criticism. I said that, and it turned out to be the truth. Unfortunately it was not possible to get Stefan GP in at the last minute. You need to do such things a bit more sensibly," added Ecclestone.

USF1's website is still active, but the most recent entry - confirmation of Argentine driver Jose Maria Lopez's now annulled contract - has been deleted.

Thursday press conference

Pressthursday.png

Q. A question to all of you. What are you most looking forward to during this season? Who is going to start? The World Champion.

Jenson BUTTON: The same as all of us I think, and that is getting out there. It has been a few months since we actually raced for three of us here, so getting out there and racing, that's what we all love. Testing is part of the job but racing is the bit what we really enjoy. I am looking forward to getting out there. It is such a competitive season, it looks like. It is possibly one of the most exciting seasons we have seen in Formula One, so just being a part of that is very special.

Q. Lewis, what are you most looking forward to?

Lewis HAMILTON: Just getting on the track. Testing was good fun but obviously we did not have as much testing as we have had in the past and the more time in the car the more fun we have. Just looking forward to it all kicking off and to see where everyone else sits.

Q. Felipe?

Felipe MASSA: Well, to get back to racing after eight months. It is a long time. I am looking forward to getting back to racing, to starting in a good direction after as Lewis said not many tests. But it is nice to be back racing.

Q. Michael, after an even longer absence what are you looking forward to? And welcome back.

Michael SCHUMACHER: Thank you. The green light or the red light going off.

Q. The green light or rather when the red goes off?

MS: Yes.

FM: You are very motivated. You are already in the overalls.

MS: Exactly.

Q. Fernando?

Fernando ALONSO: The same as everybody. Just starting the competition, the racing. Testing is okay but it is just preparation for the race itself, so looking forward to Sunday.

Q. Who has walked around the circuit? Any of you? Michael, what are your thoughts on the new section of the circuit? It is all probably fairly new to you.

MS: The first part looks quite exciting. The later part a little less exciting, but then you have to drive it and feel it in reality.

Q. Has anyone else been around the circuit to have a look at it? Jenson, been around the circuit?

JB: No, we are going out this afternoon.

Q. Lewis?

LH: The same.

Q. Jenson, a new team. What are the greatest changes and challenges for you?

JB: I think moving teams. I was with my previous team for seven years, so moving teams can be tricky. It is a completely new environment, it is a real challenge and most of us do not really like change, but it has been good. Even after sort of two months I really feel part of the team. We have not even gone racing yet and I feel a big part of the team. I have always worked very hard to make myself fit into a team reasonably well but the team have been great. They are so hungry for a good season. Last year for them was not the best and it has made them hungry for success this year.

It has been good and having the simulator there has helped me a lot to get used to the environment of being in this car. I spent a lot of time at the factory, not just with the engineers, just spending time at the factory, so I am part of the furniture there. Testing has gone well as well. It is important to really use every second or every minute you are with the team as it comes around very quickly. We have Friday and Saturday morning before qualifying but it is not a lot of time, so you have got to be ready for when you arrive here in Bahrain.

Q. Having number one and being World Champion on the car. How motivating is that or is it even restrictive?

JB: I can't see it as restrictive in any way. You should look at it in a positive way. Stepping into the car and seeing the number one on it is a very special feeling, especially here in Bahrain at the first race. Just before I put on my helmet and I look at the car and see the No 1 it is going to be an emotional moment but as soon as you step into the car and close your visor last season is out the window and you are purely focussed on this year.

Q. You won here last year. Is it a good circuit for you?

JB: I like it. It is a fun circuit to drive and it is a place you can overtake which is great. The new section is pretty slow. There are nine new corners on the circuit and most of them are slow now, so it is tricky and I look forward to getting out there and seeing what we make of it as it is difficult walking around it and trying to understand it. The simulator is useful but still in reality it is nice to get out there and feel it in the car. I hope it does make overtaking better but I am not sure if that is going to be the case. I think it could possibly make the racing more exciting as it is very tricky, so I look forward to getting out on the circuit tomorrow morning.

Q. Lewis, the man next to you is the reigning World Champion. How does that change things for you? Is that extra motivation?

LH: I don't think it makes a huge difference. Jenson has been welcomed into the team and he seems to be doing a great job, very productive, enthusiastic and he has really brought a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the team. I can only see it as a positive. On my side, for me, just from coming from not so good a year last year but to finish on quite a high I feel just as determined as ever if not more.

Q. Which of the rule changes has been the most challenging as far as you are concerned?

LH: Probably just being a little bit heavier. Otherwise it has been pretty straight forward. Just trying to understand the tyres a little bit and understand the approach to the long stints being a little bit different to last year on lighter fuel but otherwise it is pretty straight forward. I am sure this weekend will be a challenge for everyone but we are all in the same boat.

Q. You finished second here in 2007, the first time you came here.

LH: That seems like a long time ago. We had a good car back then. The last two years things haven't been particularly special but hopefully this weekend will be a new start for us and hopefully a positive for me and Jenson.

Q. Felipe, a big welcome back to you. What is it like to return, to be back in the car and back at a race meeting again?

FM: It is just nice to be back in business. That is my job for many years. I have lost a bit of races and just nice to be back. I feel really happy and a lot of motivation to get back to the job.

Q. You are a former winner here, but also in the past you have had some slow parts to the season. Is that something you are conscious of and determined to change?

FM: I think it is something that we understood in the past that the first race is important to finish, important to score points. Even in the last years we always had some problems in the car to finish the race. That I hope doesn't happen. I hope we can finish most of the races in good points as we know at the end of the season it is always important to be there on a good amount of points. Many people say at the beginning of the season what is important is the reliability. Reliability is always important. It is important to finish the race. We did a lot of kilometres in the winter test which helps when you have a good car to start the season.

Q. Michael, what's it like to be back at a race meeting when you are a driver and fully involved after an absence of three years?

MS: Well, naturally it is a bit more intense. From the morning to the evening with lots more details than you want and naturally you have to pay attention.

Q. How much are you still team building? People have spoken how you built a team at Ferrari. What is happening at Mercedes now?

MS: I think it is difficult to say right now what is going to be the development. Naturally you have to adapt, you have to evolve developing into the team. It is probably the thing that you will find some potential, you still can improve, to understand how at certain moments the team will work, why it will work, how you can combine the two things. But so far I have to say that the guys are good guys. It is good harmony, particularly due to knowing the boss quite well and he knows me too. It makes things a lot easier, a lot smoother, but otherwise I am sure there is some potential we will have to develop.

Q. You are a two-time winner here. What are your feelings about this circuit?

MS: Making it three.

Q. Fernando is a two-time winner as well, aren't you?

FA: Yes, three also.

Q. But Fernando, again new team, new challenges. What are the major challenges? What are the major changes?

FA: As Jenson said I think every time you change team you need to adapt yourself a little bit to the new people, the new philosophy of working, of preparing the season. It has been a great time so far. I have been very comfortable with the team from day one to now, so I think we arrive at the first race with a good preparation and ready for the fight.

Q. Ferrari have been said to be one of the two top teams. Is that the way you see it?

FA: Not really. We are not comparing too much the times in winter or making many predictions for these first races. We have just been concentrating on our programme to try to be as prepared a possible for the first race. I think the four teams - Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari - any of the four teams can be a favourite for this race and for the first part of the championship with, I am sure, some teams also like Sauber and Force India, they will have a very good race as well. I think we will do our best. We are well prepared for this start of the season but we want to be World Champions in November, not in March. We will do our best but the goal is to win the championship and we know this is not easy at all and we need to work very hard for 10 months, so it is only the start.

Questions from the floor
Q. (Thomas Richtr - TV Nova) For all the drivers. If it was up to you and not working groups or the FIA, would you choose this year's regulation regarding the refuelling ban and heavy cars at the start or last year's regulation when it was a sprint from pit stop to pit stop?

FA: I am happy with any decision. It is just a new challenge for all of us. For the engineers, teams, drivers it is change in Formula One, so any change is normally welcome as it offers you the possibility of discovering some new area of our sport. I am happy with the change but I was happy last year. We will see. We need to give some time to the new regulations to see how the races are. If we see more overtaking, if not? Maybe the races are very spectacular or maybe the races are very boring. We need to wait and see a few races to see if the new regulations are working or not.

MS: Last year... yeah, for the simple fact it leaves more scope for strategy. Naturally, as a race driver you want to drive the fastest car and if you have full tanks to half full tanks it naturally makes a big difference.

FM: I think the regulations have to be good for everybody: for the drivers, for the teams but also a lot for the guys who are watching the race. It's very difficult to say which ones (regulations) I prefer, the new ones or the ones from last year. We haven't yet done a single race, it's very early to say which one I prefer, but I think if it's good to everybody - for the moment I don't think anybody is against the regulations, so if it's good for everybody, it should be no problem to change. It's also a new challenge for everybody, as Fernando says, so we just need to focus on every new point and try to do the best.

LH: I think it's a new challenge in the sport for all of us and the key is that we're moving forward, so I'm excited to see how it works and I'm sure we will do everything we can, collectively, to put on a good show.

JB: I think everything's been said. I think turn one's going to be pretty interesting with that much fuel – going down to turn one. I think we forget about qualifying as well. Qualifying is different to last year: we will be running on low tanks all the way through, which is great. I think we will have more of an understanding after qualifying than the last couple of seasons with the cars on low fuel. But I think the differences from qualifying to the races will be bigger than we've seen before. Some cars will be very good on light fuel, maybe not so good on 150/160 kilos of fuel, so it's going to be interesting to see.

Q. (Jonathan Legard – BBC Sport) Michael, do you remember how you felt coming into the sport for the first time, up against champions who you had watched, the likes of Senna and Prost and so on? With your record and reputation, you're very much the man to beat; is it going to be everyone else's aim to attack you and challenge you on the track?

MS: Yes. Basically when I arrived, I wasn't that full of confidence to be on the same playing field but being with them the first time, I noticed that I could be (competitive) and I do feel pretty much the same now. There's no reason why somebody should not feel in the position to fight me because all those guys who will be on the grid on Sunday have good reasons to be there because they're highly talented. I have the greatest respect for each of them; for me, each one is a big competitor that I have to look at.

Q. (Livio Oricchio – O Estado de Sao Paulo) Michael, you always said you don't like understeer in your cars, and this year, due to the weight of the car, the tyres, the nature of the cars, you have understeer. Do you think that because of that we may not see the best of you?

MS: I think it varies very much from car to car, it's a characteristic which is given to a car. Sometimes, you're right, it may be given by the tyres, then it's up to you and your team to get the balance that you want, because in the past, don't forget a car suited me because I like oversteer, I like a neutral car, the fastest car, whatever that is!

Q. (James Allen – Financial Times) Fernando, you've talked about settling in; do you think you're ready to win? And what do you think of Michael coming back?

FA: Yes, I think I'm ready to win. Every time you arrive at the first race of the championship you've been preparing yourself all winter for this moment, so I've been waiting very long to be here at Ferrari as well, many years of preparation for this moment, so now I feel ready to fight and hopefully we're in a position to do that. To have Michael here, OK - it was a surprise for sure when he came back but as I said many times, it's a very good thing for all of us, for all the drivers, for our sport and that can only help Formula One and because we are part of Formula One, all the drivers, it also helps us, so I am very happy that he's here and hopefully we can have good fights.

Q. (Ian Parkes – The Press Association) Question to Jenson and Lewis: just been watching the dynamic between you two guys while the other three have been answering questions at the front. You've been having a good laugh and a joke, sharing comments etc. Is that a good indicator of the friendship/relationship you two have already developed over the past few weeks together?

JB: It's all for show! Exactly what we were told to do by Steve (press officer Steve Cooper).

LH: I agree. We're focusing on a potential move to acting in the future!

JB: And no one's asking us any questions, so...

Q. (Sarah Holt – BBC Sport) I have a question for you, Jenson. How do you feel about defending your title this season against Fernando in the Ferrari, Michael back at Mercedes, Lewis in the same equipment as you will have? Do you feel you will need a dominant start again this weekend?

JB: Yes, I think every championship, for any champion, I think it's important to be quick out of the blocks. If you look back, normally the guy that really fights for the championship and gets the championship is strong from the word 'go', so yes, I think it is important for all of us to be up there at the front here in Bahrain. The competition is very fierce, I must say, but that's why it is exciting. For a fan of Formula One, this season should be electric, it really should be. If it's not, we're doing something seriously wrong. It's obviously great to have Felipe back after his horrific accident last year. Great to have Michael back because it makes me feel young again! Looking at this race, I don't think there have been so many competitive drivers in competitive cars for a long time, so it's great to see.

Q. (Jacques Deschenaux – GP Guide) To all of you, will the new distribution of points with 25 for the first, 18 to the second, change your approach and maybe your strategy for the race?

MS: You still want to score the 25, so that's the main strategy. It's certainly a little bit fairer, I think, in a way that if you have somebody who wins most of the races, naturally you will most likely say that he is going to be the champion by the end of the year, rather than somebody there just sitting, waiting and taking second and third places and suddenly being World Champion. I don't think that makes much sense, as it has been in past years. Actually I think I was the reason why it was implemented, the small gaps, because I was winning so much and nobody could find a way to stop that. I think it's absolutely correct, the way it is now.

FM: I think it's correct as well. I think the winner, the victory is always more important than anything, so if you win, maybe to have a little bit more points is always better. So I'm with Michael.

LH: Well, what they said was right. It's another challenge, it's a small change to the results. As Felipe said, when you win the race it should be rewarded perhaps a little bit more than the guys who come in second and third. I think it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I've not really thought about it too much to be honest.

JB: I think we need to see how it goes. It's the same as before. You still want to go out and win as many races as you can. Obviously when you're fighting for a championship – I know how that feels now – it's about being consistent as well. When you're fighting for a win, it's very difficult to hold back and think ‘I'll come in second and pick up the points.' We all want to win races and that's what we're here to do.

FA: I agree.

Q. (Carlos Miquel – Diario AS) Fernando, in the past you have said Michael is the best driver in history. Now, Michael is back, do you believe the same? And a question for Michael: who could be your biggest rival this year?

FA: Yes, if I said that, it's because I really think that. If you see the World Championships that Michael has it's something that is impossible to repeat and part of the history in our sport, as I said. Looking at the numbers, Grand Prix wins, pole positions, championships etc, I think we all agree that Michael is the best ever, so I'm happy that he's here and as I said, hopefully winning a championship or winning a Grand Prix with Michael on the track has more value, so we will try.

MS: At my age, I keep forgetting things if they are too long away, so what was the question? Basically, I think there are the four main teams that you're looking at and in all those cars – so you're talking about a potential eight drivers, seven around me that I have to look out for. Four of them are sitting here right now and there are three more that aren't here right now. It's very tough to mention which is the one, but it doesn't matter who it is, because you're focused on the one that it is.

Q. (Joris Fioriti – AFP) To all of you apart from Michael Schumacher: you were saying, Fernando, that winning a race ahead of Michael Schumacher would bring more importance. Don't you think that if Michael starts to win too much, it's going to be very bad for all of you in the end and for the sport too?

FM: Well, for sure we need to work very hard not to let him win too much. Every team wants to win but it's the best for the sport to have the best drivers on the track, the best teams fighting on the track and I think that's always great for the sport. Anyway, everybody wants to win, everybody wants to keep winning all the time. But it's a big competition, so I think it will be very difficult as we saw in the tests, to see a single car winning every race. But anyway, you never know. The race starts now and we need to wait and see.

LH: We have to wait and see, we have to wait and see.

JB: Yeah. I think you've answered it yourself.

FA: I agree!

So, you can expect these previews on Thursday's, and from that point on we should use this thread for the Grand Prix weekends, as was agreed a few weeks ago.

Let's do this.

moojito

I predict a massive pile up on the first corner. Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher, Button, Massa, Vettel all out. Kobayashi storms to victory. You read it here first!

moojito said:
I predict a massive pile up on the first corner. Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher, Button, Massa, Vettel all out. Kobayashi storms to victory. You read it here first!
That would certainly be unexpected, but god-damn amazing.

Dead Man

moojito said:
LOL, that would be hilarious, and awesome. :lol

Pimpwerx

I hope it's not taboo, but can we get a torch for the practice sessions? Any JustinTV, Sopcast, or other streams for the practice? We get boned in the US because Speed only covers Practice2, Qualies and the Race. I'd like to catch Practice1(Fri) and Practice3(Sat) for at least the fly-aways this year. There should be a good amount of activity this first session. PEACE.

TylerD

Pimpwerx said:
I hope it's not taboo, but can we get a torch for the practice sessions? Any JustinTV, Sopcast, or other streams for the practice? We get boned in the US because Speed only covers Practice2, Qualies and the Race. I'd like to catch Practice1(Fri) and Practice3(Sat) for at least the fly-aways this year. There should be a good amount of activity this first session. PEACE.

If you are really serious about getting the best F1 coverage and don't mind getting up early to watch it live, I suggest you look into FilmOn.com. You get a year subscription to it for $99 and you will get a variety of good quality HD streams including BBC and ITV channels. You can download the player and check it out for limited time before you decide to pick a package.

I have been really pleased with the quality of the stream and it looks nice on a big screen or great on your PC monitor.

scarybore

BBC practice coverage is up and running. I haven't had any sleep so I'm bloody tired and will probably fall asleep half way through, but the season has started. :D

TylerD

There is one on Justin. They are saying with the snorkel that McLaren could get a potential 6 mph top end compared to other teams.

Goldrusher

Code:
Free Practice 1

Pos  Driver         Team                   Time              Laps
 1.  Sutil          Force India-Mercedes   1:56.583            18
 2.  Alonso         Ferrari                1:56.766  + 0.183   18
 3.  Kubica         Renault                1:57.041  + 0.458   19
 4.  Massa          Ferrari                1:57.055  + 0.472   19
 5.  Button         McLaren-Mercedes       1:57.068  + 0.485   19
 6.  Hamilton       McLaren-Mercedes       1:57.163  + 0.580   19
 7.  Liuzzi         Force India-Mercedes   1:57.194  + 0.611   19
 8.  Rosberg        Mercedes               1:57.199  + 0.616   15
 9.  Webber         Red Bull-Renault       1:57.255  + 0.672   17
10.  Schumacher     Mercedes               1:57.662  + 1.079   16
11.  Alguersuari    Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1:57.722  + 1.139   18
12.  Hulkenberg     Williams-Cosworth      1:57.894  + 1.311   20
13.  Vettel         Red Bull-Renault       1:57.943  + 1.360   17
14.  Buemi          Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1:58.399  + 1.816   13
15.  Barrichello    Williams-Cosworth      1:58.782  + 2.199   11
16.  Petrov         Renault                1:58.880  + 2.297   13
17.  de la Rosa     Sauber-Ferrari         2:00.250  + 3.667   18
18.  Kobayashi      Sauber-Ferrari         2:01.388  + 4.805   11
19.  Glock          Virgin-Cosworth        2:03.680  + 7.097    8
20.  Kovalainen     Lotus-Cosworth         2:03.848  + 7.265   21
21.  Trulli         Lotus-Cosworth         2:03.970  + 7.387   15
22.  di Grassi      Virgin-Cosworth                             2
23.  Senna          HRT-Cosworth                                3
24.  Chandhok       HRT-Cosworth

I love the new section, véry bumpy, I even saw sparks coming from the back of the Force India. Not sawdust, actual sparks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom