• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
megateto said:
Did the stewards really fine Ferrari for the Alonso-Rosberg incident? Really?
Yes, 20.000 $ fine for the team. Lead mechanic should check the pitlane before they released Alonso on track, but they failed to do so - they released him and almost crashed with Rosberg

megateto

DrM said:
Yes, 20.000 $ fine for the team. Mechanics should check the pitlane before they released Alonso on track, but they failed to do so.

So what's the difference between that incident and the China one? Oh, yeah, one happened during the qualy, the other during the race XD.

Igo

megateto said:
So what's the difference between that incident and the China one? Oh, yeah, one happened during the qualy, the other during the race XD.

Or the fact that Alonso was released into the path of an oncoming car while Lewis and Vettel were released from their pits at almost the same time.

megateto

Igo said:
Or the fact that Alonso was released into the path of an oncoming car while Lewis and Vettel were released from their pits at almost the same time.

You do have a point, I can't deny it, but c'mon, both should have been penalised XD.

ashk

DrM said:
I hope that we will see some F-ducting right after start..... Hamilton on P1 after 1st corner? Possible.

I don't think that is what the f-duct is for... As far as I understand, it lowers the drag of the rear wing at the expense of lower downforce and that makes a higher top speed possible. (If there was no negative side, the driver wouldn't need to switch it on and off, would he?) From a starting position, you wouldn't get anywhere near the top speed for it to be useful. Also, you wouldn't want lower downforce at the start since you need all the traction you can get to be quicker of the line.

Feel free to disprove me, this is the way I understood the system works, I could be wrong.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Straight on this track is long enough to use it before first corner for some extra speed for overtaking. There are some rumors that Mclaren is using F-Duct quite well after start, when they reach optimal speed.

We will see about Fernando, using F-duct while driving/overtaking in the crowd with one hand on steering wheel could be quite a challenge :lol Oh, and this system works for Ferrari, over 6 km/h faster on speedtrap today, followed by Mclaren. Just like in China, Mclaren 2nd or 3rd fastest on qualies, but on top next day.

And now something special - BBC is prediciting HEAVY SHOWERS at 2 pm for Barcelona area :D

megateto

DrM said:
We will see about Fernando, using F-duct while driving/overtaking in the crowd with one hand on steering wheel could be quite a challenge :lol

I simply cannot imagine the Ferraris using their F-duct while fighting for a position in a straight, I mean, if those two manage to overtake with only one hand on the wheel... :D

S. L.

Igo said:
not only was he released into the path, but at the angle he was coming he should have been able to see that Rosberg was in the way

anx10us

Banned
h3ro said:
Speed Network covers FP2, Quali and the Race live. Should be available on cable in the hotel. If not, there might be a stream available with the link being put up in this thread.

Awesome, sat in a suite on the 22nd floor of the Venetian, 1lt of vodka and a boatload of redbull, just found Speed tv ;-)

Chris R

anx10us said:
Awesome, sat in a suite on the 22nd floor of the Venetian, 1lt of vodka and a boatload of redbull, just found Speed tv ;-)
They should have the GP2 race on early tomorrow morning before the F1 race too. Vegas is PST right? If so then that will be starting at 3AM PST.

Of course, I finally pick Vettle for the pole and Webber goes and steals it :lol

Chris R

Too tired :( can't stay up until 4am for the race, even with a GP2 race in half an hour :( New stratergy for the remainder of the Euro races is to go to bed super early and set my alarm. Enjoy the race everyone! Yay for dvrs :D L

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, 30 minutes until the race, and as it is in Europe I can commence Operation: Twitterspam

If it doesn't rain, and Webber keeps his nose clean in turn 1, it's all his to lose. If it rains, Don't count out Button. Should be a tense race either way as rain is predicted by some of the teams...

Dead Man

Interesting comment by one of the talking heads on TV here. Basically saying it was unsafe for the driver to be closing off the ducts, especially around corners, in traffic. While I think most of the time it would be fine, I can see potential problems.

Of course, if the FIA would stop making stupid rules and banning tech (Hi Duckroll), we wouldn't have a situation where the supposed highest technology racing formula in the world is dependant on a man putting his hand over a hole.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Brundle says some teams are looking for the F-duct to be banned for next year.
The ridiculous Ferrari system looks to be a catalyst for this push.
Revenge by RBR on McLaren??

Stop It

idahoblue said:
Interesting comment by one of the talking heads on TV here. Basically saying it was unsafe for the driver to be closing off the ducts, especially around corners, in traffic. While I think most of the time it would be fine, I can see potential problems.

Of course, if the FIA would stop making stupid rules and banning tech (Hi Duckroll), we wouldn't have a situation where the supposed highest technology racing formula in the world is dependant on a man putting his hand over a hole.
Indeed, if the F-Duct system on the McLaren is a bit unsophisticated in its driver implementation, the Ferrari F-Duct is down right dangerous.

Note to the FIA: Allow for technical innovation, the sort that would end up in the real world, not this pantomime rubbish caused by the inflexibility of the current system. The current system doesn't save money, it is just inspiring stupidity.

Stop It

Well, we're on the warm up lap and a Lotus already hasn't got away, pit lane for Kovalainen, his gearbox has failed to select a gear, bad.

Anyway, Vettel, Hamilton then Alonso lining up in this order with F Ducts and a fast Ferrari engine against the relatively slow Renault? This might just be epic.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
fuuuuucccccckkk bbc commentators.

Aussie channel flicks over to live commentary, i say in steam chat, i bet you they are talking about Hamilton .. and they were!

Go.Go.Go

Dead Man

Stop It said:
Well, we're on the warm up lap and a Lotus already hasn't got away, pit lane for Kovalainen, his gearbox has failed to select a gear, bad.

Anyway, Vettel, Hamilton then Alonso lining up in order? This might just be epic.
Here we go!

Stop It

And.........nothing? So much weaving, posturing and growling for a complete non start. Will that sum up this race? I hope not!

Dead Man

Stop It said:
And.........nothing? So much weaving, posturing and growling for a complete non start. Will that sum up this race? I hope not!
It is Barcelona. In 2 laps time all the passing will be done. :D

Stop It

idahoblue said:
2 laps? You're being optimistic.

*frantically commences the rain dance*

Honestly, a 1 stop race (At least this place usually would get 3 stops in the fuel era) with 0 overtaking? Oh the joy!

Dead Man

Stop It said:
2 laps? You're being optimistic.

*frantically commences the rain dance*

Honestly, a 1 stop race (At least this place usually would get 3 stops in the fuel era) with 0 overtaking? Oh the joy!
:lol

Stop It

navanman said:
The only interesting thing is that Hamilton is keeping up with Vettel.
Yep, going off qualifying I thought the RBR cars would be totally buggering off by now, that said only Hamilton is keeping up. Jenson would need to get by Alonso if he wants to get on terms with his team-mate.

After that, nobody is really fast. Schumacher is nearly a second off the pace, ditto Massa and everyone else is is in the 1:29s or worse and thus irrelevant.

navanman

Webber is pulling out a really nice gap on Vettel and the rest. He has set most of the fastest laps so far.

SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!

Screw turbos for 2011, this is what we need:

120pxredshell.jpg

Stop It

idahoblue said:
Oops, I was wrong, Buemi has to overtake the new teams, but that hardly counts. It's like beating up a blind man, nothing to be proud of.

Liuzzi fails at pit lane exits, *splutter* The he nerfs Buemi and almost makes him have to pass Trulli again. The shame!

Dead Man

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Don't know about anybody else but I'm switching off.

Catalunya needs wiping off the F1 calender.
Don't blame you, but hopefully a capricious god uses that as an excuse to make it rain. I'm glad Webber is leading, but this track is the second most boring track of the year. Can we say the new rules haven't helped now Bernie?

navanman

Wax Free Vanilla said:

All the Spanish tracks are garbage. Valencia is even worse.

Its not the rules that make this track boring, its the track itself. Its terrible, the chicane at the end of the lap should go to get a great sweep into the home straight.

Pimpwerx

Geez. Not even the start of this race was interesting. If this settles into the usual Barcelona procession, then I'm gonna go work on my car. Why does the FIA keep this awful track on the schedule? It's a boring track to begin with, and then they test here so much it's just a benchmark track. Every year, Barcelona stinks it up. PEACE.

Stop It

Wax Free Vanilla said:

I'd have to hand in my F1 fan card if i turned off, but the live timing screen is more fun than the racing, which is a dire situation.

Anyway, Buemi vs Liuzzi, FIGHT! Or as what will really happen, *flop!* Ferrari mechanios out already? Also Mercedes? Those tyres didn't last long.

Dead Man

Rosberg in trouble? What the hell was that?
Stop It said:
I'd have to hand in my F1 fan card if i turned off, but the live timing screen is more fun than the racing, which is a dire situation.

Anyway, Buemi vs Liuzzi, FIGHT! Or as what will really happen, *flop!* Ferrari mechanios out already? Also Mercedes? Those tyres didn't last long.
Same. Sad really.

Stop It

Drama in the pit lane? Rosberg's wheel caught on fire? Eek, the drama. Well, that's the most drama we've seen this afternoon.

idahoblue said:
The usual "wheels on fire, stop stop stop" situation, happens all the time. *zzz*

Dead Man

Stop It said:
Drama in the pit lane? Rosberg's wheel caught on fire? Eek, the drama. Well, that's the most drama we've seen this afternoon.

The usual "wheels on fire, stop stop stop" situation, happens all the time. *zzz*
:D

Bad stop for Vettel and Button. Webber and Hamilton looked okay. Hamilton in front?!

Edit: Yep.

Stop It

idahoblue said:

Same. Sad really.
Well, it helps having 2 monitors for my BBC TV on one and the live timing on the other, but still.

Anyway, Button had a very bad stop then was a bit slow coming out, maybe he thought his wheels weren't quite "on"? The only drama is in the pit lane, and we wont be seeing this again this race, Also how the HELL did Hamilton get away with that? Silly Vettel.

Stop It

idahoblue said:
:D

Bad stop for Vettel and Button. Webber and Hamilton looked okay. Hamilton in front?!

Edit: Yep.
Yep, so not it's Webber vs Hamilton? Interesting...

As for Button vs Schumacher, it's Mercedes power vs Mercedes + F-Duct power? Come on Jenson!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom