• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Cereal KiIIer said:
Is it possible to legally watch F1 races online??? (Paying off course)
:lol

Depends where you live. If you live in the UK you can watch BBC streaming. I don't know for sure about other places, but mainly no.

idahoblue said:
Hopefully not. If you are in the US there is probably a feed from whatever station broadcasts it there.

Canada and no cable :(

Don't worry... I manage to watch them anyway (with 3-4 hours of delay ;)) but I didn't mind paying for a HD feed.

Dead Man

Cereal KiIIer said:
Canada and no cable :(

Don't worry... I manage to watch them anyway (with 3-4 hours of delay ;)) but I didn't mind paying for a HD feed.
If you don't mind a non authorised feed there are a few links you can use.

Goldrusher

Code:
Pos  Driver         Team                   Time              Laps
 1.  Hamilton       McLaren-Mercedes       1:21.134            21
 2.  Button         McLaren-Mercedes       1:21.672  + 0.538   14
 3.  Schumacher     Mercedes               1:21.716  + 0.582   12
 4.  Webber         Red Bull-Renault       1:22.011  + 0.877   27
 5.  Vettel         Red Bull-Renault       1:22.026  + 0.892   22
 6.  Rosberg        Mercedes               1:22.070  + 0.936   19
 7.  Kubica         Renault                1:22.202  + 1.068   22
 8.  Alonso         Ferrari                1:22.258  + 1.124   19
 9.  Petrov         Renault                1:22.397  + 1.263   23
10.  Kobayashi      Sauber-Ferrari         1:22.492  + 1.358   26
11.  Buemi          Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1:22.588  + 1.454   24
12.  Massa          Ferrari                1:22.975  + 1.841   22
13.  Sutil          Force India-Mercedes   1:23.030  + 1.896   21
14.  Alguersuari    Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1:23.110  + 1.976   31
15.  Liuzzi         Force India-Mercedes   1:23.284  + 2.150   19
16.  Barrichello    Williams-Cosworth      1:23.312  + 2.178   22
17.  Hulkenberg     Williams-Cosworth      1:23.471  + 2.337   20
18.  Kovalainen     Lotus-Cosworth         1:25.329  + 4.195   17
19.  Trulli         Lotus-Cosworth         1:26.244  + 5.110   20
20.  Glock          Virgin-Cosworth        1:26.340  + 5.206   23
21.  di Grassi      Virgin-Cosworth        1:26.694  + 5.560   24
22.  Klien          HRT-Cosworth           1:27.250  + 6.116   26
23.  Senna          HRT-Cosworth           1:27.752  + 6.618   27
24.  de la Rosa     Sauber-Ferrari         No time              3

All Timing Unofficial

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Missed the FP1 as I was busy in work.
McLaren looking strong again right from the off and great to see Schumi doing some great times with the new chassis and aero upgrade.

navanman

Well, there has been a lot of discussion this week about Ferrari and their engine change.

They were given sanction by the FIA to change the engine design, thus bringing a new engine to the party.

Under FIA rules, this is strictly prohibited. So why has the FIA allowed this.

Is it because Jean Todt is the president and he is biased? I don’t think so, but something is not right.

The Sauber team who use Ferrari engines have also had engine problems but of a different kind.

However, this week, Sauber is saying they have the same engine problem as Ferrari. Hmmm.

Because Ferrari has to supply engines to a customer, then it is in the interest of the FIA for the customer to be competitive and have a reliable engine.

Ferrari claims that the new engine is not more powerful than the previous engine but it is more reliable.

Rumours have surfaced stating that the new Ferrari engine is 10+bhp more powerful than the last one.

Well, we will only know whether this is true after qualifying.

However, since the FIA said OK for the engine, Alonso has made a statement saying Ferrari are favourites for the title. Why is he so confident now?

If you would like a detailed explanation of what it is that the Ferrari Engine is doing and why they are changing it, let me know and I will explain.

Other news.

* McLaren are still Veto-ing Renault’s request for an Engine upgrade. Renault has requested to have parts upgraded but at the moment, it is still being reviewed. Whatever it is that Renault have, people are scared of it, especially McLaren.
* McLaren have new car for this race but engine upgrades in the pipeline may not feature in Barcelona.
* Red Bull may finally use the diffuser what has been described as ‘A work of Art’. Watch out for their triple-double decker Diffuser. If they use it, they won’t be followed as it is designed to prevent followers running in the slip stream.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
navanman said:
* Red Bull may finally use the diffuser what has been described as ‘A work of Art’. Watch out for their triple-double decker Diffuser. If they use it, they won’t be followed as it is designed to prevent followers running in the slip stream.

Oh great. They may as well use banana skins.

Pterion

curls said:
Oh great. They may as well use banana skins.
'sup?

webbercrop-420x0.jpg

DarkJC said:
It's letting me spend all my bonus money. How is it only letting you spend 10? Does it say you have positive money still but wont let you save changes?

If I spend over 10, it's claimed that I'm in the red.

EG: I have 12.974.000. If I try to upgrade from a Force India chassis (31.4M) to a Renualt chassis (44M) - a difference of 12.6M - I am told that I have -2.452.000 available money and am not allowed to upgrade.

S. L.

rogue_pigeon said:
If I spend over 10, it's claimed that I'm in the red.

EG: I have 12.974.000. If I try to upgrade from a Force India chassis (31.4M) to a Renualt chassis (44M) - a difference of 12.6M - I am told that I have -2.452.000 available money and am not allowed to upgrade.
there is a penalty for selling, aka "Your personal broker fee"

navanman

S. L. said:

Correct, this is a key point. My personal broker fee as gone up to 6%, making changes to my teamn more expensive.

S. L. said:

Ah, I see. Sonofabitch.

S. L. said:
the fuck
i have a 9% fee

Same here. It seems incredibly difficult to make any real gains after a couple of poor results at the start of the season, and I expect the gap between the top and bottom teams to only widen as the season goes on. Think I'm going to be stuck with Bruno all year!

navanman

Hows everyone's team looking for the weekend?

I'm going Buemi (or Luizzi) & Chandook, Renault, Force India & Total.

S. L.

navanman said:
Hows everyone's team looking for the weekend?

I'm going Buemi (or Luizzi) & Chandook, Renault, Force India & Total.
i am torn, either a conventional Sutil, Kobayashi?, Renault, FI, Total setup
or a secret more aggressive setup >_<

navanman

The Hulk crashes his Williams, lucky impact though, he has wrecked the front wing and nose but kept all the wheels on the car.

Session red flagged.

AndyD

aka andydumi
rogue_pigeon said:
Re: Race Manager

I've got around 12 mil currently available, but it's only letting me spend around 10! Better get fixed tomorrow.

Remember there are broker fees for making changes. So stuff may be more expensive than it looks when you are changing stuff vs. keeping the same stuff.

S. L.

another ferrari engine crapping out? alguersuari

Kworn said:
Good to see schumacher on fire

But will the equal real qualy pace
the most important thing for him now is that he is beating rosberg i guess

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Webber: McLaren hiding real pace
Mark Webber believes the McLaren team was not showing its real pace in Friday's practice for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Although Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button topped the first session, it was the Red Bulls of Sebastian Vettel and Webber who dominated the afternoon, with Vettel nearly a full second quicker than the first non-Red Bull car.

However, Webber reckons there is more to come from its rivals, the Australian reckoning McLaren was hiding its true speed.

"I haven't particular seen a huge amount of what has happened in that session, but for sure McLaren probably weren't showing everything today," Webber said.

The Red Bull driver, second quickest, was still pleased with his day's work after a smooth session.

"Yeah, certainly a smooth one from both sides of the garage," said Webber. "That is a nice positive for the team. They have done a huge amount of work over the last few months, as all the teams have.

"Particularly last night, the guys worked like hell, very, very late night for our team and the boys deserve a smooth Friday. We have some stuff to go through tonight and hopefully will be well prepared for tomorrow."

He added: "It was a good day. We had a smooth run and nice to have a good P1 and P2 with no interruptions from the weather. The guys worked faultlessly in the garage, the driver did a little bit of his work as well and it was a good day for us."
Source

More elbow action for Ferrari duo:
Ferrari set to keep F-Duct on
Felipe Massa says Ferrari is likely to continue using its F-Duct for the rest of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend after the system was run on Friday.

The Italian squad has introduced its own device for this weekend's race after testing a preliminary version in the previous event in China.

Today's results left the team positive about the device and Massa reckons the team is very likely to race it.

"I think the chance is big, so we will run that. I think there is a big possibility to carry on with it," said Massa.

The Brazilian admitted, however, that he was disappointed with how his day had gone after finishing as eighth quickest.

"It was disappointing, especially the car balance wasn't very good, we need to analyse better what direction we should go for tomorrow, and analyse what happened last time we were here, as I was quite happy with how the car was then."

Massa said nonetheless that the updates introduced in Spain were working as expected.

"We brought new parts which definitely you can see some improvements. For sure we were not the only team who brought new parts, we saw a very strong Red Bull, a competitive McLaren and a competitive Mercedes, so it is something we need to analyse for tomorrow, but definitely what we brought to the car is working."
Source

Pirelli submits bid to be sole supplier
Pirelli has submitted its bid to become Formula 1's sole supplier of tyres for 2011 to the FIA, AUTOSPORT has learned, with the Italian company adamant that a tyre war is not the right direction for the sport to head next season.

Sources have confirmed that, following discussions with the teams and F1 chiefs, Pirelli has now lodged its plan with the FIA as it awaits news on whether it will beat Michelin and Cooper Avon to the deal.

On the same day that Michelin said it was keen for a tyre war in F1, Pirelli has reiterated that it would make sense on cost and safety grounds for there to be only a single tyre supplier for at least two more seasons.

Pirelli's racing manager Mario Isola told AUTOSPORT in the Barcelona paddock: "We prefer to be a sole supplier. The time is very short and so we prefer to be in the same situation that they are now."

AUTOSPORT understands that Pirelli would be willing to open up the prospect of a tyre war from 2013, which would give its engineers and teams a two-year transition period to make the move to the much talked-about 18-inch tyres.

It is believed that Michelin is already ready to consider delaying the introduction of 18-inch tyres for several years so teams do not face huge development costs in adapting their cars to totally new rubber for next season, while Pirelli is equally open to a compromise solution.

"It is an option," explained Isola. "I know the teams would prefer to stay on 13-inch tyres, at least in order to have a period to be able to develop the car to the 18-inch tyre. It is a big change and I can imagine they would have to work a lot on the mechanical aspects of the car.

"The 18-inch tyre is much more interesting for us because it is very close to a road tyre, compared to the 13-inch tyre which nobody uses at the moment. The smallest cars have 14 or 15-inches, so it is quite a different tyre from what we see usually.

"But it is also true that it will be a different tyre - you cannot imagine that there will be an F1 tyre that is close to a road tyre. We will collect all the requirements from the teams in order to have a clear picture to start development, if we are successful and get a contract."

Isola confirmed that Pirelli has spoken to F1 teams about what their requirements for 2011 were, and said he expected a 'hard' fight to beat Michelin and Cooper Avon.

"We have had some contacts with everybody, to try to better understand the situation now - what they require and what they expect because there is a lot of chat about 18-inches, or 13-inches, and the system to supply the tyres to the teams," he said. "We have tried to have a clear picture of the situation in order to prepare an offer that can satisfy all the different parties in this world. Then we will see.

"We know that there are some other tyre manufacturers that are interested in the same project, so I can imagine it will be a hard battle. But it is always hard in motorsport, not just in F1."

Isola's confirmation that Pirelli is willing to supply the whole field came after Michelin managing partner Didier Mariton told a shareholders meeting in Paris on Friday that his company wanted competition if it were to come back to F1.

"We're in talks with the (International Automobile) Federation and the other bodies that run Formula 1 and we told them that if several brands were allowed in the sport then Michelin... would be ready to think about it," Mariton was quoted as saying by Reuters
Source

BAW

Banned
I just don't get why there's a need to switch to 18 inch rims and tyres. I guess it is just so ignorant idiots around the world can yell "YEAH, MY RIDE HAS FORMULA 1 WHEELS, YO!"

Deadman

The lap record in Barcelona is 1:21.670 by Raikkonen in 2008. Lots of people have already gone faster than that in the first 2 practice sessions, so expect it to be completely smashed this weekend.

Leunam

BAW said:
I just don't get why there's a need to switch to 18 inch rims and tyres. I guess it is just so ignorant idiots around the world can yell "YEAH, MY RIDE HAS FORMULA 1 WHEELS, YO!"

18 inch rims and tires are way too small for anyone who would say "YEAH, MY RIDE HAS FORMULA 1 WHEELS, YO!"

I personally don't know anyone who would make a connection between cool rims and Formula 1.

BAW said:

Synergy effects between development of F1 tyres and tyres for other racing series and road cars. Also they should be safer (don't bounce around as much after a crash).

AcridMeat

Banned
Forgot to set an answer for the bonus question, ah well. Good to see Schumi looking better.

When is the race scheduled on Sunday? I'm going to have to rely on finding it some stream. :/

navanman

AcridMeat said:
When is the race scheduled on Sunday? I'm going to have to rely on finding it some stream. :/

Race is on at 2pm local time in Spain, 1pm GMT.

Don't forget to place your bets everyone before qualifying tomorrow morning.

navanman

Another great insight into the updated cars for Spanish GP:

The Spanish Grand Prix, round five of the F1 world championship is the first European round after the flyaway races and as such is always an event where all the teams bring updates to their car to a greater or lesser extent and this year is no exception.

What we are seeing this weekend is in most cases not as extreme as last season, when many teams were trying to catch the Brawn team by copying the double diffuser, but there are some quite significant and eye-catching changes on many cars.

Perhaps the team with the most eagerly anticipated changes is Mercedes. Last year’s champions – when they were called Brawn – have had the slowest car of the top four teams thus far and always targeted Spain as the race where they would bring in big changes.

Mercedes has two obvious updates here, one is the angling forwards of the front suspension, to help with a weight distribution problem and the other is the air intake, which is so radical a solution that many aerodynamicists I’ve spoken to say they’ve never even thought of trying it in a wind tunnel.
MERC-AIR-INTK.jpg

Instead of a hole above the driver’s head, the Mercedes has two air intakes lower down on either side of his head with a short fin to give the car the required height dimensions. This solution also helps the airflow onto the rear wing.

What makes this very interesting is that if you look carefully the driver sits quite high in the car anyway, probably in order to see over the very high front of the cockpit on the Mercedes. This isn’t perfect as every millimetre your driver’s backside is above the floor is raising your centre of gravity, which is a bad thing. The air coming off the driver’s head must be affecting the flow into the air intakes. Today the drivers were experimenting with plastic flip-ups on the top of their helmets to see if it improved that.

The front suspension is angled forwards on the Mercedes in order to lengthen the distance between the front and rear wheels and this has the effect of moving the weight backwards. They have done this because the drivers were complaining of the car pushing straight on in the corners, or understeering. Weight distribution is the most critical thing when it comes to tyre temperature and balance and this is clearly what Michael Schumacher was struggling with in China. The new narrow front tyres don’t grip like last year’s or like the ones he was used to in 2006. Judging from his strong performance in practice today, this fix seems to be working.

A lot has been said about this problem, but engineers tell me that angling the front suspension is the lightest solution, indicating that it was not a major problem, more a characteristic which needed addressing. Of course in moving the front wheels forward they have had to move the front wing forward too. This will have a negative effect on the aerodynamics so there is a loss to be swallowed before the gain you get from the improved weight distribution, but they must be happy with that trade off to have gone ahead with the change.

(Incidentally look at the small orange ring on the underside of the monocoque. That wasn’t there before and appears to be for adjusting the ride height during pit stops.)

Doing all of this will have eaten up much of their resources at a time when teams need to be well into the design of next year’s cars. There is a big rule change next year with the banning of double diffusers, so Mercedes will be worried that they are falling behind on that.

Ferrari and McLaren front wings
WINGSPN1.jpg

FERR-FW.jpg

Many teams have new front wings here. The more complex they are with flaps to add downforce the more it indicates that the team has also added downforce at the rear of the car via the rear wing and diffuser and need to balance it out at the front. Judging from the McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari front wings there is a lot more overall downforce on the cars and it shows when you watch them on track. They look nailed to the ground.

It’s interesting to contrast the McLaren and Ferrari front wings. The McLaren is an elegant cascade, like the Red Bull wing, whereas the Ferrari is more classic with more detailed work on the endplates. It’s striking how different they are.

New longer Virgin car
Virgin has brought a new chassis for Timo Glock this weekend, which is longer than the original model, still being used by Lucas di Grassi. The fuel tank was not large enough to complete the Grand Prix distance and the team was given special dispensation to change the monocoque, which is a homologated part. The Virgin team has used the opportunity to introduce some other bodywork changes, such as a fin engine cover, which is in vogue at the moment and a large exit hole for cooling which is straight out of the Red Bull design textbook.
VIRGIN-FIN.jpg

These engine covers are very eye catching but actually contribute only a small gain, in comparison to front wing or diffuser updates. But they get everyone talking because they are so noticeable.
VIRGIN-REAR.jpg

A big cooling exit like this has a cost in lost downforce, but it gets all the hot air out of the engine bay in one go and in Red Bull’s case is the most efficient system given the extremely tight packaging of the rear end of the car. Virgin doesn’t appear to have such packaging issues, but has gone for the exit hole anyway.

AndyD

aka andydumi
AcridMeat said:
Forgot to set an answer for the bonus question, ah well. Good to see Schumi looking better.

Me too. I definitely could have used the money too. Then again I live in Nashville and we have had no phone, TV or internet since Sunday at home due to the flooding.

Now I am taking a weird risk setup. I could either do well and move up for the future, or this could seal my fate for good.

Leunam

6ql35l.png

After a three week break, the 2010 Formula 1 season continues in Barcelona. Having had time to consider new approaches to the design of their cars, several teams have brought new aerodynamic and engine upgrades to the race. Ferrari, after battling reliability issues with their engines, are hoping to turn things further in their favor with their revised engine (and in turn lending Sauber a hand with their bad luck) and perhaps land a second victory for the season. Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, and Virgin, among others, are bringing new aerodynamic packages that range from new F-ducts, to radical changes in air intake design.

qybvy8.png

nys4nc.png

In the 1960s, Spain made a bid to return to the world of international motor racing - the Royal Automobile Club of Spain commissioned a new circuit north of Madrid at Jarama, and Cataluña refurbished their circuit at Montjuïc circuit in Barcelona. A non-championship Grand Prix took place at Jarama in 1967, which was won by Jim Clark racing in a Lotus.

In 1968, Jarama hosted the Spanish Grand Prix, near the beginning of the F1 season. It was agreed, following this event, that the race would alternate between Jarama and Montjuich.

The 1975 Grand Prix at Montjuich was marked by tragedy. There had been concerns about track safety during practice races, and double-winner Emerson Fittipaldi retired in protest after a single lap. On the 26th lap of the race, Rolf Stommelen's car crashed when the rear wing broke off, killing four spectators. The race was stopped later and won by Jochen Mass, though only half the points were awarded.

The Spanish Grand Prix was confined to Jarama until 1981, after which it was dropped from the racing calendar. In 1985, the Mayor of Jerez commissioned a new racing circuit in his town to promote tourism and sherries. The track, the Circuito Permanente de Jerez, was finished in time for the 1986 championship, which saw a furious battle between Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell, with the two cars finishing side by side. The stewards awarded the win to Senna, by 0.014 seconds - one of F1's closest finishes.

The 1990 Spanish Grand Prix was the last in Jerez (although Jerez did stage the European Grand Prix in 1994 and 1997). During the practice, Martin Donnelly's car was destroyed in a high-speed collision, and Donnelly was severely injured.

Work on the Circuit de Catalunya was underway in Barcelona, and in 1991, the event moved to this new track, where it has remained since. The 1992 event was advertised as the Grand Prix of the Olympic Games. Since that race the race has been held in early season, usually in late April or early May.

The Williamses dominated the first outings there, taking all victories until 1994. Michael Schumacher has won a total of six times, including his 1996 victory in heavy rain, which was his first for Ferrari. Mika Häkkinen took three victories and was on road for fourth in 2001 before his car failed on the last lap.

Since 2003 the race has been well attended thanks to success of Fernando Alonso. Alonso finished second in 2003 and 2005 before taking victory in 2006.

Onboard lap

Circuit de Catalunya Guide courtesy of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber

10ft0t3.png

Take a closer look at the circuit here.

Previous Winners

xgmekz.png

Championship Standings

iy28hu.png

News

Interview with Renault Driver Vitaly Petrov

Q & A with McLaren Driver Jenson Button

AcridMeat

Banned
AndyD said:
Me too. I definitely could have used the money too. Then again I live in Nashville and we have had no phone, TV or internet since Sunday at home due to the flooding.

Now I am taking a weird risk setup. I could either do well and move up for the future, or this could seal my fate for good.

Sorry to hear that man, I've been stuck working on group projects so this week completely flew by. In all honesty I don't really know what to do with my set up. I have initial picks I made a few days after the last race which I guess I'll keep.

Also haven't been able to keep up with who has the newest/biggest updates to their chassis, apart from Mercedes.

Pimpwerx

navanman said:
Well, there has been a lot of discussion this week about Ferrari and their engine change.

They were given sanction by the FIA to change the engine design, thus bringing a new engine to the party.

Under FIA rules, this is strictly prohibited. So why has the FIA allowed this.

Is it because Jean Todt is the president and he is biased? I don’t think so, but something is not right.

The Sauber team who use Ferrari engines have also had engine problems but of a different kind.

However, this week, Sauber is saying they have the same engine problem as Ferrari. Hmmm.

Because Ferrari has to supply engines to a customer, then it is in the interest of the FIA for the customer to be competitive and have a reliable engine.

Ferrari claims that the new engine is not more powerful than the previous engine but it is more reliable.

Rumours have surfaced stating that the new Ferrari engine is 10+bhp more powerful than the last one.

Well, we will only know whether this is true after qualifying.

However, since the FIA said OK for the engine, Alonso has made a statement saying Ferrari are favourites for the title. Why is he so confident now?

If you would like a detailed explanation of what it is that the Ferrari Engine is doing and why they are changing it, let me know and I will explain.

Other news.

* McLaren are still Veto-ing Renault’s request for an Engine upgrade. Renault has requested to have parts upgraded but at the moment, it is still being reviewed. Whatever it is that Renault have, people are scared of it, especially McLaren.
* McLaren have new car for this race but engine upgrades in the pipeline may not feature in Barcelona.
What's going on with Ferrari? I said it was a cheap upgrade, and I was right. Fucking hell, at least McLaren is vetoing Renault. Those cheap fuckers should blame Newey for making their engine look bad. The thing is powerful and efficient last I heard. WTF do they want? The homologation of engines needs to end already. Allowing this backend bullshit is lame.

I missed practice yesterday, and I'm gonna miss that and qualies today. I have some stupid fucking conference to attend this weekend. It goes through Sunday, but I'm having someone take notes for me that day and I'm staying in to watch the race. Go Hammy! PEACE.

Dead Man

Pimpwerx said:
What's going on with Ferrari? I said it was a cheap upgrade, and I was right. Fucking hell, at least McLaren is vetoing Renault. Those cheap fuckers should blame Newey for making their engine look bad. The thing is powerful and efficient last I heard. WTF do they want? The homologation of engines needs to end already. Allowing this backend bullshit is lame.

I missed practice yesterday, and I'm gonna miss that and qualies today. I have some stupid fucking conference to attend this weekend. It goes through Sunday, but I'm having someone take notes for me that day and I'm staying in to watch the race. Go Hammy! PEACE.
:lol Nice. The Renault is good, but nowhere near the McLaren unit. Stay classy.

Dilly said:
just unfreeze engine development.
This is the correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom