• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Vettel hits pole. Massa 2nd, Alonso 3rd.

What a Q3, the times were awful in the first run, almost like a high fuel run, then all of a sudden, BANG!. That said, just look at the time sheets, the 1st three are in a different time zone, this is the tactical battle, they have went for qualifying, the rest...have went for conservation.

The race will be huge, the new tyre wars are about to begin, last year we had fuel adjusted grids, how do you adjust for tyre wear?

scarybore

Stop It said:
Apparently a tactic is to now even bother with Q3 and get a choice of tyres for the race? That loophole needs to be closed right now, we need to see these cars, this is very bad from a fans POV.

Yeah, pretty weird rule and hopefully it will be changed.

I don't think I've been this excited for a first race for a long time, I still think Alonso will win it but it's gonna be tough. And I knew I should have chose Vettel for pole in the league, damn crappy McLarens.

Goldrusher

Q

Code:
Pos  Driver         Team                   Q1        Q2        Q3       
 1.  Vettel         Red Bull-Renault       1:55.029  1:53.883  1:54.101  
 2.  Massa          Ferrari                1:55.313  1:54.331  1:54.242 
 3.  Alonso         Ferrari                1:54.612  1:54.172  1:54.608 
 4.  Hamilton       McLaren-Mercedes       1:55.341  1:54.707  1:55.217 
 5.  Rosberg        Mercedes               1:55.463  1:54.682  1:55.241 
 6.  Webber         Red Bull-Renault       1:55.298  1:54.318  1:55.284 
 7.  Schumacher     Mercedes               1:55.593  1:55.105  1:55.524 
 8.  Button         McLaren-Mercedes       1:55.715  1:55.168  1:55.672 
 9.  Kubica         Renault                1:55.511  1:54.963  1:55.885 
10.  Sutil          Force India-Mercedes   1:55.213  1:54.996  1:56.309 
11.  Barrichello    Williams-Cosworth      1:55.969  1:55.330 
12.  Liuzzi         Force India-Mercedes   1:55.628  1:55.653 
13.  Hulkenberg     Williams-Cosworth      1:56.375  1:55.857 
14.  de la Rosa     Sauber-Ferrari         1:56.428  1:56.237 
15.  Buemi          Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1:56.189  1:56.265 
16.  Kobayashi      Sauber-Ferrari         1:56.541  1:56.270 
17.  Petrov         Renault                1:56.167  1:56.619 
18.  Alguersuari    Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1:57.071
19.  Glock          Virgin-Cosworth        1:59.728
20.  Trulli         Lotus-Cosworth         1:59.852
21.  Kovalainen     Lotus-Cosworth         2:00.313
22.  di Grassi      Virgin-Cosworth        2:00.587
23.  Senna          HRT-Cosworth           2:03.240
24.  Chandhok       HRT-Cosworth           2:04.904

Stop It

DrM said:
Ok, do we have info who will start on which tyre compound?
All on soft, but that tells half of the story.

All who haven't go to http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/ and get registered, you'll see a gulf between 3rd, and the rest. This is NOT down to drivers being slower, this is a tactical decision. Anyone calling people rubbish at the moment knowing only half of the battle is completely erroneous.

The race will prove who had the best qualifying, Vettel is on pole, but how long will those tyres last, and at what speed? I hope he does well but this is far from a cut and dry RBR/Ferrari domination.
subzero9285 said:
Schumacher checking out the opposition's cars. Typical. :lol
He is a tart, pure and simple, and this time, I love him for it. Never change, Michael.

My season predictions are pretty spot on so far except for the order at Mercedes.

Awesome to see Vettel on the pole. I think the Ferraris are favourite tommorow tho if its true that they are better on the tyres then Red Bull.

kikanny

Congrats to Vettel! But Felipe!!!! FUCKING BEAT ALONSO in the end! YESSSSS! The bastard did it! What a comeback! Felipe - 1 ; Alonso - 0. Game On! Really awesome qualifying! I know its just the qualifying, but being a Massa fan and after all the troubles last season, its kinda nice to see him up there. That's the reason for the over-reaction. :D

Jinjo

Cheeky rubens. :lol

The Red Bull is fast, very fast. It seems the Mac is not able to put it together on a single lap. Let's hope the impressive race pace from testing translates to tomorrow.

Great job on Massa for outqualifying Alonso. For the battle inside Ferrari I'm definitely rooting for him.

Stop It

Well, we now look forward to the race, and the beginning of possibly the most technical year F1 has ever seen. The Tyres, it's ALL about them. As for winners etc? Vettel, but it will not come easily, tomorrow will be epic.

Oh, and it's fantastic to see Massa back, and faster than ever, such a nice guy, and I hope he teaches Alonso a lesson or two this year, same goes for Rosberg with Schumacher. Time to create a new world order methinks. Vettel, Rosberg, Sutil, the future of F1.

TylerD

That is awesome to see Massa qualify so strong. Ferrari looks to be back in a big way.

Hopefully Vettel can look after those tires and start the season off right for Red Bull.

Deadman

Interesting to see vettel so much faster than webber, i didnt notice webber making a mistake so it must have just been an awesome lap.

Felipe you hero.

Frawdder

CurlySaysX said:
the fuck at 1HD.
Who gives a crap about the ipl?
Exactly. Who cares about the first few balls anyway? Not missing much by cutting the toss and the first over out. Just 2 more minutes and it would've been fine.

Deadman

Deadman said:
Interesting to see vettel so much faster than webber, i didnt notice webber making a mistake so it must have just been an awesome lap.

Felipe you hero.

Christian Horner just said Webber did make a mistake, so that explains some of it. Still nice by Vettel.

Seems like a big gap, ~1 second, between the ultimate pace of redbull/ferrari and everyone else.

jonremedy

My team: NAR

Kubica
Chandhok
Virgin chassis
Virgin engine
Lotus fuel

Bets:
1st: Hamilton
2nd: Massa
3rd: Alonso
Pole: Hamilton (lost this one ofc)
Drop-out: Hülkenberg
Schumi-top3: No
Force India-points: Yes
Barrichello > 1pt: Yes

Think I made good bets on 2nd and 3rd. Hoping Kubica will advance lots of places in the race :D

mus6677

My team: Mindless Racing

Sutil
Senna
Force India
Lotus Engine
Petrobras (Wil) fuel

Bets:
1st: MS ( Im sure im will be wrong)
2nd: Alonso
3rd: Massa
Pole: Hamilton :(
Drop-out: Glock
Schumi-top3: Yes
Force India-points: Yes
Barrichello > 1pt: No

Already got 152 points based on the Qualy result.. Yeay....
Hoping for a good result for Force India 2morrow

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Nico Rosberg said after qualifications that is very hard to predict, how will the tyres react. Softer compound can last very long, but after single slip they could be completly wasted.

jonremedy, can i get your avatar pic in full size? Such awesome photo :)

S. L.

Stop It said:
All on soft, but that tells half of the story.

All who haven't go to http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/ and get registered, you'll see a gulf between 3rd, and the rest. This is NOT down to drivers being slower, this is a tactical decision. Anyone calling people rubbish at the moment knowing only half of the battle is completely erroneous.

The race will prove who had the best qualifying, Vettel is on pole, but how long will those tyres last, and at what speed? I hope he does well but this is far from a cut and dry RBR/Ferrari domination.
eh, everybody seemed to have dropped 3 to 5 tenths from Q2 to Q3 (aside from Massa)
Also Horner seemed pretty optimistic about the tyres

jonremedy

DrM said:
jonremedy, can i get your avatar pic in full size? Such awesome photo :)

I actually don't have the full picture anymore :( I have a square-crop that's higher resolution than the NeoGAF avatar, but it cuts away a lot of the panda's legs. Think I found it on EatLiver.com or something though...

Edit: Found it! PANDA!

Aegus

Baguette Crusty Racers have 164 points and 1 correct prediction.

I think everyone who put their emphasis on FI will do well this weekend.

Jinjo

Is anyone else surprised that qualifying isn't as close as last year? I mean there is a gap from p1 to p4 from over a second. Last year that often covered more than the entire top 10 and that was when the rules changed so drastically.

Aegus

Jinjo said:
Is anyone else surprised that qualifying isn't as close as last year? I mean there is a gap from p1 to p4 from over a second. Last year that often covered more than the entire top 10 and that was when the rules changed so drastically.

Not with the length of this track or the shitty bumpy bits of the 2nd sector. I'd say it's very difficult to pull off a perfect lap when your car is being thrown around that section.

Deadman

There was quite a gap at the start of the season last year, it just closed up massively as the season went on.

The 107% time for today would have been 2.03.480 so only Chandhok (2.04.904) would have missed out on racing tomorrow. Assuming they get better as races go on then it doesnt seem like there is a need to bring it back, as they should all be under it.

Edit: Maths fail, 107% time would be 2.02.088, so both Senna and Chandhok would have failed to qualify, but still its not like that amount of time is impossible for them to gain back.

Jinjo

Yeah I guess we won't get a real clear picture about how far everyone is apart until after Australia. I miss it being the first round though. Bahrain is just very bland imo.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Aegus said:
Not with the length of this track or the shitty bumpy bits of the 2nd sector. I'd say it's very difficult to pull off a perfect lap when your car is being thrown around that section.

I wonder how many cars will retire with broken rear suspensions tomorrow when you add a few hundred pounds of fuel. Or how fast those rear tires will die. That section looks just abysmal in terms of quality.

107% would be good too as long as it does not apply to first race for all first time teams. Since there's little testing, that would be a way to help them out. Or give them 1-2 extra testing days.

Michael not as strong as I thought he would be. But it should be fun tomorrow.

Also, what's up with the on screen graphics. More contrast which is nice, but the slantiness is weird. Like a cheap web 2.0 site. Also, SpeedTV finally is doing semi-proper widescreen text bars and not those hideous blue things.

Ripclawe

Banned
subzero9285 said:
Schumacher checking out the opposition's cars. Typical. :lol

2jfhisn.gif

DrM

Redmond's Baby
AndyD said:
Michael not as strong as I thought he would be. But it should be fun tomorrow.
Michael needs some races to get his 'grip' back. He could do very well tommorow, qualifying is his weak side right now.

Spanish journalist Lobato (we know him for his connections with Alonso) said today, that Alonso tried 15 lap stint with softer tyre on Friday and wasted them in 6 laps....

moojito

The BBC commentators were saying that Barichello was the dark horse here, since he gets to start furthest forward on the good tyres.

S. L.

DrM said:
Michael needs some races to get his 'grip' back. He could do very well tommorow, qualifying is his weak side right now.

Spanish journalist Lobato (we know him for his connections with Alonso) said today, that Alonso tried 15 lap stint with softer tyre on Friday and wasted them in 6 laps....
yeah he is 2~3 tenths behind Rosberg which seems alright for the long break he did.
Also Sutil said something similar about the tyres, they tried it friday and got about 10 laps out of the soft ones with full fuel load.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mark Webber for Autosport:
Webber says that no team has a true understanding of its tyre management – which means there are big questions heading into the first race of the season.

"It's the same for everyone," he said. "This is the big unknown. Today there were a few questions answered, tomorrow there will be even more answered on how we approach the grand prix."

When asked to comment on suggestions that Red Bull Racing has bigger doubts than most about its tyre management, Webber said: "There is not a team in this pitlane [not] worried about their tyres tomorrow."

Oh and another thing - fuel consumption. Some cars will be lighter than others....

Sucks that i have to watch F1 on german free TV again this season. Watching the qualifying via streams was almost unbearable for me today. FilmOn is only a shadow of itself compared to last year (disconnects every 10 minutes for non-subscribers, also the stream is of poor quality and unreliable). Justin.tv always sucked for me too.

TylerD

Steppenwolf said:
Sucks that i have to watch F1 on german free TV again this season. Watching the qualifying via streams was almost unbearable for me today. FilmOn is only a shadow of itself compared to last year (disconnects every 10 minutes for non-subscribers, also the stream is of poor quality and unreliable). Justin.tv always sucked for me too.

I am a pay customer and FilmOn was giving me some trouble too. I downloaded the new Junction Player and if I had it in full screen when it had to buffer it would lock up the player and I would have to kill it via task manager. I didn't have the locking up problem running it in windowed mode but it would have to buffer for a couple of seconds every couple of mins.

I didn't have any trouble until right before qualifying began. Must have been a big influx of streamers that came in at that point.

123 pts + 1 bet correct so far. Should have kept the force India Engine and the Total fuel and skimped more on the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom