• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Leunam said:
leaer.png

The season continues with a visit to Turkey and Istanbul Park. Well known for its infamous Turn 8, a multi-apex turn that catches unwary drivers off guard. With an astounding three straight wins, Felipe Massa hopes to continue to display why he has nearly mastered this course. As the season progresses, more and more adjustments are made to various cars, with more changes set to debut here. All the changes in the world could count for nothing if a drivers skill slips for even a second, however.

2h5r61w.png

2luukib.png

The venue of the Turkish Grand Prix is located in Pendik on the Asian side of Istanbul, close to the junction of Kurtköy on the north side of the TEM motorway, linking Istanbul to Ankara. It is adjacent to the newly constructed Sabiha Gökçen International Airport and is surrounded by forests and fields.

The circuit and its facilities were designed by the well-known racetrack architect Hermann Tilke, who said he designed the track to try to catch the drivers out. The inaugural Turkish Grand Prix certainly caught the drivers out, with many drivers spinning off throughout the weekend.

Turn 8 particularly caught the imagination. The corner is a fast, sweeping corner with four apexes, similar to one of the multi-apex sections of the old Nürburgring. Spectators and drivers alike raved about Turn 8, comparing it to legendary corners such as Eau Rouge and 130R. The circuit itself has already been compared to Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. Another notable corner is Turn 1, a sharp downhill left-hander immediately after the front straight. This corner has been nicknamed by some as the "Turkish Corkscrew" in reference to the famous "Corkscrew" at Laguna Seca. Both the 2006 F1 and MotoGP races at the circuit featured multiple incidents at this corner. A third noteworthy area is the uphill kink in the middle of the back straight; due to its similarity to Eau Rouge, it has been jokingly referred to as "Faux Rouge."

The circuit is not, however, without its critics. After qualifying, Jenson Button claimed that the track was getting bumpier as the weekend went on, particularly at Turn 8, which was what caused so many drivers to spin off. This harks back to another circuit designed by Hermann Tilke, Shanghai International Circuit, which is said to be sinking in places because it was built on the site of a former swamp. Jarno Trulli was notable for his lukewarm feeling towards the circuit, saying that he felt the circuit was easy to learn, and that good performance was down more to the car than the driver.

Onboard Lap

Istanbul Park Onboard Lap courtesy of Ferrari driver Felipe Massa.

2mnhvcz.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Jenson Button - Brawn-Mercedes - 1:27.579
Most Wins
Felipe Massa - 3
Most Wins for Constructor
Ferrari - 3

Highlights from Previous Years

Highlights from Turkey 2008

Previous Winners

27ymsmh.png

Championship Standings

29oqqkj.png

Last Minute News

Jenson Button Q&A: Red Bull yet to show true pace
Exclusive Nico Rosberg Q&A: We will win soon with this car
Pre-Turkey Analysis: Ferraris Big Weekend
Ferrari set to hold on to Felipe Massa for 2011
Formula 1 set to make US return at new Austin track in 2012
:D

Chris R

Just watched P2 earlier tonight, the ending :lol so damn funny, Webber trying to explain PUT SOMETHING UNDER THE TIRE :lol

Watching F1 debrief right now, they are talking to the Austin guys. P3 about to start too. Have to stay up and watch a stream of that to try and figure out who I put for my pole position and/or 1st/2nd/3rd for my bets.

TylerD

It has been a hectic week of moving for me. I am finally finished and got my PC setup so I can try to stream P3. :)

I am super pumped for the new USGP, I really hope it happens. Only 6 hrs drive for me which will make it easy to attend every year! :D

AcridMeat

Banned
This is hard, it's 1:15am and I'm watching a stream with the most monotone foreign broadcaster. It's putting me to sleep. :lol

edit: Looks like a problem for Webber?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hamilton goes off in turn 8 and he stops in the gravel pit. However, he managed to get out, but his tyres are gone.

AcridMeat

Banned
Hamilton off.

wow at the replay, took absolutely nothing for him to completely lose it.

edit: Looks like a puncture on a couple of the tires as well.

edit: Holy shit it looks like a puncture on all 4. :lol :lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
it will be interesting to see tyre choice in Q3. Hards are quite fast and very very durable. So if someone starts on hards, he will pit much later. Softer are abit faster, but according to some teams, graining appears on the front after 4 laps.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Fascinating FP3, Hamilton does at quick lap to go quickest on soft tyres right at end of the session.

The qualifing will be in hotter conditions and may suit the non-RBR cars even more and the same for tomorrow where it will be like yesterday with track temperatures of 50C.

Chris R

For my bets I just put Vettel as taking the pole, and then Ham/Ham/Ham for the 1/2/3 spots to try to get ANY money from there :lol

navanman

Vettel on a stormer and smashes Hamilton's time by 0.3s.

Time to look at the weekend bets now!

I can lots of cars going off at Turn 8 during the race tomorrow on full load of fuel. If you do spin off, you destroy the tyres because of the abrasive tarmac run off area.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm really torn on what I should do pick wise, I just threw around some ideas and came up with some interesting choices. I'm not liking how inconsistent Webber is though.

Webber just went off again as I typed that. :lol :lol :lol

edit: Where the hell did Rosberg come from?

AcridMeat

Banned
DrM said:
He is always good on his last flying laps.

Also, Massa is struggling this year on 'his' track.

True enough about Rosberg, just didn't see him beating Hamilton's time.

Also yeah, this just isn't Massa's year it seems.

edit: One last thing, what are the chances Sutil is back for qualifying?

dalin80

Banned
navanman said:
Its overcast today and a lot cooler, definately going to suit the RBR cars even more.

Or not, the red bulls were far more skittish today in the cooler weather, both drivers had a number of small offs and both had trouble at turn 8 where as yesterday it was a fairly simple flat out corner for them.

From the radio it seems hamilton deliberately trashed his tyres in order to avoid crashing the car.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
AcridMeat said:
edit: One last thing, what are the chances Sutil is back for qualifying?
He will be there, but we do not know what failed. They reported problems with hydraulics system

Bobo

AcridMeat said:
Man, you've been missing out. I moved onto Buemi a couple races ago. Fool has been fantastic for the price. :D
Ha I had Buemi as my 2nd driver for the last race but had to drop him this weekend for better chassis/engine. So... going bold with terrible drivers that have no chance of doing anything but I feel my chassis engine combo will do well for the rest of the season. (I hope):lol

Igo

Bobo said:
Ha I had Buemi as my 2nd driver for the last race but had to drop him this weekend for better chassis/engine. So... going bold with terrible drivers that have no chance of doing anything but I feel my chassis engine combo will do well for the rest of the season. (I hope):lol

I kept Buemi and instead dropped Sutil for Petrov. Somewhat of a risk but the price was right and Petrov is improving. Seemed better than dropping Buemi for some scrub who won't finish above 15th just so I could upgrade from Renault to Redbull.

I thought about staying with my Renault chassis and upgrading from Sutil to Webber while dropping Buemi for Chandhok but after doing the maths I think i'm better off this way. I've probably got it all wrong and screwed myself though.

I also thought about not posting any of this before qualifying started so as to not give anyone any ideas. :lol

Chris R

Goldrusher said:
You can do that ?
Yes

Basically hedging my bets that Hamilton makes the podium tomorrow. If he doesn't I'm screwed, but seeing as I've made a total of $0 from podium bets so far (even though one race I had everyone on the podium correct, just the wrong order :| ) I figure why not? Decent chance Hammy gets on the podium (I hope) and if he does, I get bonus cash :D

navanman

Deadman said:
Bue/Pet/Ren/Ren/Tot. Hopefully Petrov goes well this weekend, he has been so far.

I got the f*cking bonus question wrong and its screwed up my change for this weekend.
Anyway I have Pet/Chandook/Ren/Ren/Total.

navanman

ScarbF1 blog have an article up on the RBR F-duct that they tried this weekend.
Red Bull have been the last of the top teams to debut their f-duct. Like Ferrari they have had to engineer the set up into a chassis not designed to route the ducting through the cockpit. From this image from WRI2.net we can see the duct is far more complex than a simple tube from the cockpit to the rear wing. In Red Bulls case and similar to Ferraris solution, the duct is fed from the roll hoop and then goes into a split duct, one section leading to the rear wings flap and one which passes under the wing. This lower duct appears to be the default route for the air, before the driver engages the duct. Air simply passes under the rear wing for no effect. There is also a part of the circuit that routes into the cockpit to be closed off by the driver to control the airflow through the circuit. whats curious is that the duct appears to be linked to the airbox, this might be a simple mounting point or some influence from the positive pressure inside the airbox.

Red Bull have decided not to use their duct for this weekends race.
566wri.JPG

navanman

More new aero parts for Renault this year who seem to be the most active team this year so far with updates.

Picture-166.png

moojito

The commentator there on the bbc just mentioned that it's called an f-duct because it covers the f in vodafone on the mclaren! I didn't know that, and always wondered where the name came from.

Deadman

Guarantees a bit of fun tomorrow as he tries to work his way up from 12th.

Can't understand why he was sat in the pits for so long, its Q2, go out and do your easy banker lap and then sit in the pits like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom