• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
IF they had stayed in F1 this year, it looks like it would have been a great machine

RCEcoverjul.jpg

The car Toyota would have raced in F1 this year has been driven by Kazuki Nakajima in Cologne.

The TF110 has been revealed and inspected by Racecar Engineering. and looks outwardly similar to the BMW Sauber C29 with a high, long nose.

Toyota’s 11th hour exit from Formula 1 at the end of 2009 means this car will never compete in F1.

Two examples of the TF110 were built despite the team’s decision at the end of last year not to contest the 2010 championship.

According to the magazine the design features “one of the most extreme diffusers seen yet” and a ride height adjustment system.

Who knows how competitive the TF110 would have been. It’s doubtful that, even if another team acquired the intellectual property rights to use the car in 2011, it could be suitably modified to be competitive following further changes to F1’s technical regulations.

The manner in which Toyota exited the sport within days of the 2009 season ending is a reminder of how close the former Honda team came to disappearing 12 months earlier.

As Ross Brawn explained afterwards, the company’s management hadn’t given any thought to passing the team on to another owner and had to be persuaded to accept Brawn’s management buy-out. It seems much the same happened at Toyota.

While BMW also, though with some difficulty, passed ownership of their team back to Peter Sauber, Toyota cut and run and there was no going back. Attempts by Zoran Stefanovich to use the cars to obtain an entry failed.

AcridMeat

Banned
ChrisRT said:
The higher ups didn't have the balls to compete. They gave up. I doubt the car would have made much of an impact.

I meant more compete by being on the grid, not necessarily one of the front runners.

navanman

Nice pics, thanks for them.

The front wing looked very interesting especially the end plate curving around the front wheels and the turning vains.

Id like to have seen Toyota nut it out and keep competing in F1. To have the biggest manufacturer in the category makes sense.

Im not a huge F1 news reader so I hope someone can tell why they were so crap considering they spent so much money on F1 - was it just cause they did not have the right people in charge of the design of it?

Why wouldnt a team which had almost the biggest budget buy some of the people with proven track records e.g. Brawn, Horner etc? Or had they?

S. L.

Renewed American bid to break into F1
By Jonathan Noble Monday, May 24th 2010, 10:59 GMT

Parris Mullins, the advisor to YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley who led a last-ditch bid to try and save US F1 earlier this year, is behind a fresh American attempt to break into Formula 1, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Hurley appointed Mullins as his official representative in 11th hour talks to save US F1 once it became clear how far behind schedule the team was with its car.

But despite lengthy discussions with Bernie Ecclestone, Campos Grand Prix, Stefan Grand Prix and other team figures to try and find a rescue package, which would have seen him installed as team principal, Mullins could not get a deal that he and Hurley were happy with.

Despite that setback, Mullins has kept a close eye on developments in F1 and, in an exclusive interview, he has revealed that he is now leading an investment bid to get involved in grand prix racing through involvement with a current team.

Mullins believes that the lessons of US F1 show that starting a new team is not feasible under the current F1 rules, which is why he is looking at opportunities to tie-up with established outfits.

His plans are totally separate from the new team bid put together by former US F1 staff members known as the Cypher Group.

*snip* *snip*
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83850

interesting, maybe HRT or Sauber ?

markao

Leunam said:
Didn't Audi show an interest in HRT? That would be huge for them.

Also, I'm really interested in what's going on on the sides of the intake in that Toyota proto.
VolksWagen was rumored by Spanish press, with Bernie putting in the money this year to get HRT through the season. How much of it is true we will see at the end of the season ;)

Mobius 1

YES! I almost had a heart atack when I read it.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

“We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin,” said Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. “It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.”

Texas Governor Rick Perry conveyed his enthusiasm for the project, explaining “Texas’ relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State.”

City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell continued the positive sentiments, adding "The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula One to our City."

Full Throttle Productions, LP acknowledges with great appreciation the efforts of all parties involved including Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group, and the local and state officials of Texas.

“It has been a shared vision and monumental task to reach this agreement. We realize that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right - to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ as one of the great sporting events in the world,” stated Hellmund.

In addition to the State of Texas being the 11th strongest economy in the world, it has more Fortune 500 company headquarters than any other state. Key features of Austin include:
- State capital nicknamed ‘Silicon Hills’ for being one of the most important regions in the US for the Technology Industry;
- USA’s 15th largest city and is located 145 miles from Houston (4th largest US city), 70 miles from San Antonio (7th largest US city), and 180 miles from Dallas (8th largest US city), population in this triangle is over 22 million;
- perfectly located geographically for North, South and Central American visitors;
- over 130 daily departing international flights within 180 miles;
- over 250,000 hotel rooms within 180 miles;
- desirable year-round climate, with an average annual temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 Celsius);
- geographically located in the Texas Hill Country, easily the most beautiful city in the State, and considered one of the most in the US;
- hotels/downtown/Formula 1 circuit/airport located within close proximity of each other, which is nearly impossible for any other large city in the US;
- world class night life entertainment along renowned ‘Sixth Street’; and
- large film industry presence - many movies filmed in the area.

Austin’s National Recognition
- Known as “The Live Music Capital of the World”
- Voted “Greenest City in America” (MSN)
- Voted “Least Stressful Large Metro” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Two “Best Cities” in the United States (Money Magazine)
- Voted Top Three “Hippest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Five “Safest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Ten “Sports & Fitness Cities” in the USA (Sports Business Journal)

Full Throttle Productions, LP is an Austin, Texas, special event and sports production company that provides event conception, event project management, day of event oversight, staffing and volunteer services, venue planning and logistics support.
:D :D :D :D :D

S. L.

markao said:
VolksWagen was rumored by Spanish press, with Bernie putting in the money this year to get HRT through the season. How much of it is true we will see at the end of the season ;)
audi = vw
moojito said:
Don't VW own porsche? I'm sure that name in F1 would be a lot more fitting than volkswagen.
nope, porsche tried to buy vw last year, but failed. VW holds 49.9% of the porsche stocks now.

Lamborghini belongs to VW thou :D

operon said:
someone be nice and help us answer the bonus question
look at the age of things... should point you in the right direction
wikipedia knows it all

Awesome news about Austin, TX. Now please, please, please for the love of god, pick a location with lots of natural elevation changes and keep Herman Tilke out of the fucking picture.

Pimpwerx

WTF gives with Texas getting the US GP? I guess something is better than nothing. If its a good design, it could be in Montana for all I care. PEACE.

syllogism

Pimpwerx said:
WTF gives with Texas getting the US GP? I guess something is better than nothing. If its a good design, it could be in Montana for all I care. PEACE.
Austin isn't
representative of texas
Texas

Chris R

Make the track good please please please. If it is good, NASCAR should add it to their series as well. If it is another Tilke abomination, well, that would just suck ass.

markao

S. L. said:
audi = vw
Yes/No:D

not when it comes to racing, Audi (racing/Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich) will have nothing to do with the F1 part, it will be done by VW, at least according to that rumor ;)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I know I posted this in the other thread...

BUT FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGGG YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

F1 in my hometown?

How fucking cool is this?

StoOgE

Pimpwerx said:

They knew the truth

VY > Tebow

Juicy Bob

This news completely blows my mind. I honestly never saw this one coming! I'm dead excited for all of F1's true American fans but if Bernie wants to finally crack the US after all these years it's going to take one hell of an effort by the entire sport - and that means no political bollocks by the teams, FOM or the FIA.

What we could really do with is an American driver in two years time to really draw local interest, but the only person I can think of off the top of my head who might be up to F1 standards is Scott Speed - and he's obviously never coming back!

StoOgE

As I posted in the other thread it sounds like Bernie is chasing a rainbow again like he did with USF1... as much as I hate to admit it.

This thing is supposedly being privately funded with no help from the state or city government. Just don't see a private company ponying up 100 million bucks to buy land and build a track.

Do any of these races run at a profit?

Juicy Bob

StoOgE said:
Do any of these races run at a profit?

Hosting a Formula 1 race is a loss-making business. You have to pay Bernie a (pretty huge) fee for the 'privilege' of hosting a race. Count in all the other costs of running a race and once you have all the money back via sponsorship, ticket sales etc, you’ve still lost money.

The idea is, like you said, it’s about bringing in outside money from people coming to see the event. Every year, the Victorian taxpayers complain about having to pay for the huge losses the Australian Grand Prix suffers and every year the Victorian government claim that the make more than that amount back in the dollars that are injected into the local economy as both a direct and indirect result of the race. So much so that they recently signed a deal to keep the race in Melbourne till at least 2015. Not only that, Melbourne are getting very defensive about their race now that Sydney and the NSW government want to pinch the event from them, just like Victoria did to Adelaide in the first place.

Chances are that the US is Bernie’s #1 market priority and that he may do a bit of a special deal with them in terms of fees in order to try and give the race the best chance to succeed as possible, it’ll be interesting to see how it turns out, though.

StoOgE

I'm getting all of this from local news, so take with a pinch..

but an interview with the guy heading this up said the dude was partnering with F1 to make it happen. Don't know if this means Bernie is putting money up for the track or just that they signed an agreement to allow the race there.

Hopefully this isn't another USF1 deal where they didn't have the money and thought it would come in after they signed the deal with Bernie.

navanman

Not suprising news seeing as HRT has on many occasions publicly blasted the poor state of the Dallara designed chassis.
Hispania has parted company with Dallara, the constructor which supplied the chassis for the Spanish team's maiden Formula 1 campaign.

There had been tension between the Italian car builder and HRT for some time, amid suggestions during the winter that Hispania - then Campos - had fallen behind on payments to Dallara, and strong criticism of the quality of the chassis from Hispania figures once the car actually hit the track. Technical consultant Geoff Willis and test driver Christian Klien were both scathing about Dallara's product.

Hispania team boss Colin Kolles said in Monaco that the squad was close to an alternative deal for its 2011 technical needs, and this morning the outfit announced that it was splitting with Dallara.

"HRT F1 Team, Hispania Racing, and Italian chassis manufacturer Dallara Automobili S.p.A have together agreed on amicable terms not to pursue their collaboration," said a Hispania statement. "The decision follows talks held over the last few months about the future of their collaboration."

The statement thanked Dallara for its efforts in difficult circumstances, but also hinted at dissatisfaction over a lack of development on the car. Hispania has been the slowest of the new teams throughout the season so far.

"The two partners experienced a challenging start to the 2010 Formula 1 World Championship season, where everyone at Dallara Automobili S.p.A worked extremely hard in a fight against time to be ready for the season opener at Bahrain International Circuit," the statement continued.

"Their persistent and determined efforts paid off as HRT F1 Team, Hispania Racing, pulled up to the starting line of the 2010 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix ready to go.

"The whirlwind of pre-season activity at the Italian chassis constructor Dallara Automobili allowed the team, formerly known as Campos Meta 1 prior to its acquisition by Jose Ramon Carabante in February 2010, to meet its tight deadline. Since its inaugural race HRT F1 Team, Hispania Racing, has completed six rounds of the 2010 Formula 1 World Championship despite the fact that in all this time no further chassis development was made by Dallara.

"The collaboration, deemed by many to be an impossible task, resulted in the creation of the team's Cosworth V8 powered 2010 Formula 1 World Championship chassis, the F110, which was the very first car to be produced in the colours of HRT F1 Team, Hispania Racing.

"Following the completion of six rounds of the 2010 Formula 1 World Championship, HRT F1 Team, Hispania Racing, and Dallara Automobili S.p.A have agreed that what they have achieved in such a short period of time was more than could have been reasonably expected.

"The two parties wish each other the best of luck in all future endeavours."

navanman

Looks more likely that Stefan won't get 2011 entry and ART (run by Jean Todt son) will instead.
ART Grand Prix co-owner Nicolas Todt has confirmed that the multiple GP2 and Formula 3 title-winning team has applied to enter Formula 1 next season, but admitted that being ready for 2011 would be a huge undertaking if its bid was accepted.

Todt told Italian magazine Autosprint that while suggestions ART was among the 2011 applicants were correct, the team had no expectation that it was likely to be selected.

"The news that we have proposed ART is real, but at the moment it's just a request, there is no certainty we'll take the start next season," he said.

"Realistically, I think it won't be easy to take part in the 2011 F1 championship, because it's not easy to set up a programme with very high costs.

"In light of this, I didn't want to make bold statements over something that still needs to be defined. If we don't make it, then it won't be a drama. We'll carry on working over this project, and if it doesn't happen next year, then we'll try again in the future."

He said ART had always eyed F1 as its long-term destination given its relentless success in the feeder categories, but he had preferred to keep its ambitions low-key and did not want to risk harming its other programmes.

"We are ambitious, and obviously after having won a lot in the various series we've taken part for years, you want to go on and do better," said Todt.

"After F3 and GP2, the logical step is F1. The big difference is that it's a gigantic step, and we are aware of the difficulty with this challenge. That's why I've never announced we'll be in F1, I don't like to get visibility when I'm not certain of the programmes, because I don't want to be regarded as a person who only talks.

"We are working with great care on a project, we don't want to damage what we've done to this day over the years. The plans include synergies, but we don't want to damage the team that works in GP2, GP3 and F3.

"We want to enter F1, but only if we manage to have a long-term programme, because even though F1 now costs 30-35 per cent less compared to a few years ago, it nevertheless remains a huge challenge for privateers."

Spanish squad Epsilon Euskadi, Serbia team Stefan GP and ex-GP2 outfit Durango are among the other teams vying for a possible 2011 F1 slot.

Todt has close links with with his father Jean's former team Ferrari, and his protege Jules Bianchi is part of the Italian squad's driver development scheme. But Todt played down the chances of an ART F1 project being a partnership with Ferrari.

"I have a great relationship with Ferrari, I highly esteem Stefano Domenicali," he said. "If we get chosen and we get a chance to work with Ferrari, then it will be great, but the truth is that there's nothing at the moment.

"We are also a Mercedes team in F3, so it's easy to also link us to Mercedes, and we have other links too. But the truth is that there's nothing yet."

He conceded that there was potential for a conflict of interest given that his father is now the president of the FIA.

"I know well that there are people who see this situation in a bad light," Todt admitted.

"First of all there is a commission evaluating the requests and making decisions, so it's not just my father's choice. I think we'll be under the eye of many people, so the truth is that, as ART, we'll have to present an even more solid programme than our competitors, because at our first faux pas we'll risk being criticised more than the norm.

"But this isn't a new situation for me. When [protege] Felipe [Massa] went to Ferrari, some people put it down to my father's presence there. There will always be people judging my work in relation to my father's presence, and I've accepted this.

"If I couldn't stand this I would have changed environment, but I don't want to leave something I'm passionate for because my father works in it and I've had a lot of success that will be difficult to repeat."

StoOgE

I was planning either a trip to the Brittish, German or Italian GP next season.

Not sure if I'm still going to do that now.. guess I better in case this race falls through.

AndyD

aka andydumi
StoOgE said:
I was planning either a trip to the Brittish, German or Italian GP next season.

Not sure if I'm still going to do that now.. guess I better in case this race falls through.

I dont think it will be around til 2012 though. So 2 years. I go to the Canada one and it is awesome. Easy to travel from the US too.

AndyD said:
I dont think it will be around til 2012 though. So 2 years. I go to the Canada one and it is awesome. Easy to travel from the US too.

Been to Montreal three times now, going again this year. Super stoked. I love that track and the city is great too.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gutterboy44 said:
Been to Montreal three times now, going again this year. Super stoked. I love that track and the city is great too.

I agree. The view of the city over the water as a car zooms by is incredible.

StoOgE

AndyD said:

Well I want to go to Europe next year anyway.

I might save the money on the tickets and just spend it on extra days in Europe.. though Monza or Silverstone are probably going to be better courses than whatever Tilke designs of Austin.

you know it's coming

AndyD

aka andydumi
StoOgE said:
Well I want to go to Europe next year anyway.

I might save the money on the tickets and just spend it on extra days in Europe.. though Monza or Silverstone are probably going to be better courses than whatever Tilke designs of Austin.

you know it's coming

It may end up OK. He did a good job in Turkey, although that's because of the nice elevation changes.

The worst thing they can do is try to make it a city track with a city feel and not embrace the nature and location. If they take it north of Austin to the lake and park areas, it could be quite a nice track.

StoOgE

AndyD said:
It may end up OK. He did a good job in Turkey, although that's because of the nice elevation changes.

The worst thing they can do is try to make it a city track with a city feel and not embrace the nature and location. If they take it north of Austin to the lake and park areas, it could be quite a nice track.

It's going to be East of town near the airport but not near any current neighborhoods which gives them two real options:

1) Out towards Bastrop on 290 - somewhat likely, but red clay makes it a pain to work out there and land is somewhat expensive. Only one way back into town from here, and 290 is already a parking lot just getting to the airport normally.

2) South of 183 towards Lockhart - most likely. Cheap land. no one lives there (except my parents). two new toll roads (131 and 45S) just connected this area with 183 and 35 South of town. with plans to connect it through to Mopac South of town. It's also really pretty country and somewhat hilly without being crazy like West of town is... could lend itself to a nice course.

3) Bernie is just screwing with those guys in New York and trying to get money from some poor saps in Austin in way over their heads and we will never see a track.

S. L.

DieH@rd said:
f1manager question:

Do I stick with Petrov [he won last years GP2 race @ instanbul] or maybe buy Barichello?
i'd only switch to Barichello if you plan on keeping him for a longer.
his track record is pretty solid unlike petrov :p

Deadman

Best thing to do is always wait until after free practice 2/3 (depending on your time zone) and then you can pretty much tell where they will be in the race.

StoOgE

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2010/05/24/daily39.html

A day after the sudden announcement that one of the world’s highest-profile sporting event is heading to Austin, more details are emerging, including a $25 million-per-year state government incentive offer.

On Tuesday, Formula One World Championship Ltd., Formula One Administration Ltd. and Austin-based promoter Full Throttle Productions LP announced the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix will be held in Austin from 2012 to 2021.

Promoters, who want to build a track specifically for the race for the first time in its history, did not specify a location and offered few other details.

On April 7, the state governor’s and comptroller’s offices sent a letter to Formula 1 top executive Bernard Ecclestone saying the state would pledge funds over a 10-year term, which could be terminated if Full Throttle fails to secure the race.

After the first year of the agreement, the state also opened the door to provide more money from “any legally permitted sources,” according to records obtained by the Austin Business Journal.

A state spokesman said Wednesday that no deal had been finalized, and he did not know when it would happen. Officials said state Comptroller Susan Combs spearheaded the project at the state level. The comptroller is the chief steward for state’s finances, acting as tax collector, chief accountant, chief revenue estimator and chief treasurer for all of state government.

“We gave them a quote for the press release, but beyond that the comptroller’s office handled it,” Gov. Rick Perry’s spokeswoman said.

State spokesman Allen Spelce said while the announcement caught government officials off guard, the comptroller’s office has been working on the deal for about a year, and met several months ago with Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell and his staff.

The mayor’s spokesman said Leffingwell hosted a meeting at city hall with state and racing representatives last month. Leffingwell knew about the pending announcement last week, but did not know the exact day the Formula 1 headquarters would announce it.

While no location for a track has been announced, it will most likely be within the Austin city limits, the spokesman said.

A Formula 1-style race track in India cost more than $300 million, according to reports.

Formula 1 tracks and associated development can range from $100 million to $1 billion, said Tim Frost, president of Chicago-based Frost Motorsports, a motorsports business consultancy.

Developing a track is a large endeavor, with many moving parts and variables, he said.

In the Austin case, Full Throttle Productions will be responsible for buying and permitting land to build a track, building it, and maintaining it and associated facilities, he said. Full Throttle principal Tavo Hellmund, a Mexican-born race car driver who made a splash in NASCAR years ago, could not be reached for comment.

“Full Throttle will basically be responsible for preparing the field of play, so Formula 1 can come to Austin,” Frost said.

The Formula 1 race series travels the world, and requires a traveling entourage of about 5,000 people to pull off, he said.

Meanwhile, Texas Sen. Kirk Watson, D-Austin, told reporters the economic impact of the race is comparable to the Super Bowl. According to a 2008 Ball State University analysis of previous Super Bowls, those games typically contribute $176 million to $463 million to a local economy.

The Formula 1 Grand Prix contributed about $100 million per year on average to the Indianapolis economy during the decade it was hosted in the city, according to a 2007 report in the Indianapolis Star.

Super Bowl XLV, which will be played at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington next February, is expected to have an economic impact of $612 million on the North Texas region, the Dallas Business Journal reported in March. Although that estimate is deemed high by many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom