• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

SmithnCo

Hoping for Advance Wars or Fire Emblem.

I kinda wanted Punch-Out!! to be one of the NES games, then I remembered I would gladly pay for a 3D Classics version. Hm...

Wow, I probably would have bought most of those games GBA games anyway so this is okay by me.

Still, Metroid Zero Mission better not be too far behind given my bad cartridge situation.

JazzmanZ

Amir0x said:
I'm so glad they tossed Mario vs. Donkey Kong in this bunch - lost my GBA copy, and I fuggin' love that game.

ditto for me, only replace Mario vs. Donkey kong with Yoshi's island.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This is beyond anything I thought Nintendo would do, and I'm pretty happy. I didn't play a ton of GBA games, so I'm very interested in this. Plus the fact that I will have WarioWare makes me realllllyyyy happy. Love that game to death.

PixyJunket said:
Wow, I probably would have bought most of those games GBA games anyway so this is okay by me.

Still, Metroid Zero Mission better not be too far behind given my bad cartridge situation.

To this day I am still waiting for a chance to play Zero Mission for the first time. Kinda disappointed they went with Fusion, although that's a great game for sure.

I'd be very surprised if they gave away two Metroid GBA games to early adopters. And since that might be it as far as GBA games on the 3DS go, I might be SOL.

Sennorin

Banned
Is it known yet if we are getting 20 pre-selected games, or can we choose from more than that? Don´t really care, but would be nice to know.

Neiteio

Hmm, I appreciate this gesture, though I know I likely won't take the time to play any of these (though their tabs will look pretty on my Home menu)!

That being said, Drill Dozer, please, and the second Golden Sun, since I didn't play either. I seem to recall hearing that Astro Boy game was nifty as well. And I loved FF Tactics Advance, though I only got a short ways into it, so I suppose that would be nice.

But realistically... Mario & Luigi, The Minish Cap, Metroid Zero Mission, Golden Sun and Advance Wars should be the other five of the starting 10 GBA titles.

Roto13

Drill Dozer would be great! It's Nintendo developed and published and very few people bothered to play it.
Sennorin said:
Is it known yet if we are getting 20 pre-selected games, or can we choose from more than that? Don´t really care, but would be nice to know.
It looks like we get all 20.

oatmeal

Banned
Amir0x said:
I'm so glad they tossed Mario vs. Donkey Kong in this bunch - lost my GBA copy, and I fuggin' love that game.

Yeah, same here.

I really enjoyed it. Not as much with March of the Mini's, though.

I'm pumped about this whole thing...first time I've been pumped for anything Nintendo-related since TP first came out. Well, the OoT 3DS thing too.

DJ88

Copy paste from the other thread.

DJ88 said:
When I first started reading I was slowly starting to get pissed, being an early adopter myself, but when I got to the part about the 20 free games the anger faded quickly. Now after thinking about it, I'm happy as hell. I won a $50 gift card at the Best Buy launch which I used on Zelda, and I get TWENTY free games! Ten GBA games that no one else will be able to get, and almost all of them are games I've always wanted to play but never got the chance. Easily worth the extra $80 and months of time I got to enjoy my 3DS for me.

Btw, I must know what the other 10 games are!

PKrockin

You know what, this GBA list is making me not so concerned about this drastic price drop. All the GBA games listed are ones I've wanted to buy but never got around to it except Fusion, which I haven't hit the halfway point yet.

Throw in a Fire Emblem, Tales of Phantasia, or Wario Land 4 and 3DS game delays be damned I'll be busy with my 3DS for a long time.

So... Mother 3 is between the mystery +5? :p

Outside Japan, I'd say Mother actually has a very slim possiblity since it actually was translated.

Takao

Banned
It's a bit weird they're giving Wario Ware for free, because don't they sell some of the individual mini-games on DSiWare?

PKrockin said:
Outside Japan, I'd say Mother actually has a very slim possiblity since it actually was translated.

NoA doesn't even want to use game NoE translated, they aren't going to use a fan translation.

There is a bigger chance of my silly choice making it.

Pikma

Banned
Oli said:
Can you imagine the tears that would be shed by those who waited? lol.

lol I know, we didn't even had the chance to decide and pay for it back then, let alone now having it for free.
Sadly, This is Nintendo. :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I do not want the GBA Tales of Phantasia. Please no, it is a horrible port. They manage to make the game worst then the SNES version despite the GBA having superior hardware.

Oli

Pikma said:
lol I know, we didn't even had the chance to decide and pay for it back then, let alone now having it for free.
Sadly, This is Nintendo. :(

Yeah it'll never happen.

Hopefully they do give us an RPG or two though.

Emitan

Amir0x said:
pfft. Give me Mario & Luigi and I'd be happy, you can keep yer Golden Sun where the sun don't shine.
Amir0x speaks the truth, as usual. M&L is in my top 10 games of all time. I really need to pick up the Bowser one because I hear it's better than the awful Partners in Time.

JazzmanZ

Pikma said:
So... Mother 3 is between the mystery +5? :p

in a perfect world maybe.

But if they really did that, it would be the perfect kick in the balls to anyone who didn't get the system online before the 11th

Emitan

JazzmanZ said:

But if they really did that, it would be the perfect kick in the balls to anyone who didn't get the system online before the 11th
That's why it makes sense. NOA will only give us MOTHER 3 if they can do it by pissing off as many people as possible while simultaneously selling their handheld at it's premium price point right before a reduction.

watershed

Banned
JazzmanZ said:

I'm willing to bet all those games will see release at some point. Nintendo's not gonna leave money on the table. They'll probably see full release in 2012 so that they can be exclusive to early adopters thru the holidays or "for all of 2011".

Boney

Banned
Takao said:
It's a bit weird they're giving Wario Ware for free, because don't they sell some of the individual mini-games on DSiWare?
They sell 2 mini games, Paper airplane, and Birds & Beans (Pyoro 1 and 2). But that's far from the core appeal of Wario Ware, the micro games.

PKrockin

Takao said:
NoA doesn't even want to use game NoE translated, they aren't going to use a fan translation.

There is a bigger chance of my silly choice making it.

Huh? NoE translated Mother? And what about it would make NoA not want to release it?

Randomizer

This is a pretty decent lineup and very nice of Nintendo to offer so much games for free, although I'm sure some would just prefer their money back lol. If I remember correctly, they offered money back after the N64 price drop, right? They must be taking a leaf out of Sony's book following their 'Welcome Back' freebies after the whole PSN fiasco.

I personally don't regret being an early adapter at all, mainly because at the time of release I could afford it whereas now and for the foreseeable future I am totally skint lol. So this has worked out well for me :p.

I do wonder how many people will end up receiving the games? It will be fine for GAF but I assume a lot of the public will never find out about this and probably haven't even used the e-shop.

angelfly

demonturkey said:
Pretty excited about this. Especially GBA games.

It seems like the games offered are going to be the same for each region, right?
The first 5 NES and GBA ones will but the rest will most likely be region specific.
Randomizer said:
I do wonder how many people will end up receiving the games? It will be fine for GAF but I assume a lot of the public will never find out about this and probably haven't even used the e-shop.
For Japan at least they sent out a spot pass notice about it and also posted the notice about it in the eshop.

ElFly

Are there more free games in the eshop, other than pokemon torture box?

If I got into the eshop I may as well get everything right now.

The only game I haven't played on both lists is Mario Kart Advance, how does it hold up today?

I love me some nostalgia, and having classics I loved on my 3DS is nice (even when I still own the GBA carts), but I hope there will be something new for me in the unannounced rest of the games.

Randomizer said:
Doesn't initial 3DS setup walk you through connecting to the internet and turning options on for SpotPass and such? A lot of people would see the message delivered to them, if they actually turn the 3DS on between now and the cutoff date.

But then, what sort of people bought the 3DS this early? Ambassadors. People who are internet savvy enough to know it's not just another DS and to know it was something they wanted. Savvy enough to read about this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
angelfly said:
The first 5 NES and GBA ones will but the rest will most likely be region specific.

For Japan at least they sent out a spot pass notice about it and also posted the notice about it in the eshop.
And in the US, likely any 3DS on Wifi will get a notice.

Emitan

Naked Snake said:
The only game I haven't played on both lists is Mario Kart Advance, how does it hold up today?

I love me some nostalgia, and having classics I loved on my 3DS is nice (even when I still own the GBA carts), but I hope there will be something new for me in the unannounced rest of the games.
Mario Kart Super Circuit is my favorite Mario Kart.

The NES games shouldn't be too hard to guess considering the ones shown so far are all from the NES Classics series on the GBA.

Guessing they had a GBA emulator ready, but not an NES one.

SmithnCo

Kerrby said:
There's absolutely zero chance of one of these GBA games being a Pokemon game isn't there?

Probably not I would say... Too much connectivity concerns and Nintendo wouldn't want to give away a free Pokemon and possibly diminish sales when they release the inevitable Pokemon 3DS.

Of course there's always Pokemon R/S Pinball or something.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
digita1alchemy said:
Yeah, but by fullscreen I meant upscaled to the image's maximum size without affecting the aspect ratio like you can do with DS and GB games, but it makes them blurry. I imagine we'll be able to play the GBA games in their native resolution as well, they'll just be super tiny.

I was initially excited for the GBA titles, but I own 4 of the 5 announced games games and have a perfectly good DS Lite to play them on, so I am starting to wonder how much use I'll get out of these :\
I wonder if there's a secret command to get rid of the blur like on the Wii where you go into the Guide Menu and hold Z+C A+B or whatever. Then it just re-sizes the pixels and doesn't filter them. Looks tons better.

sfried

Amir0x said:
now the GBA library on the system will be waay better than their actual 3DS library lol
If they localize Rhythm Tengoku/ Rhythm Heaven GBA, I would bound to agree.

Then again, it took some time for the DS to have it's own slew of titles to surpass the GBA.

Top Bottom