• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Squall5042 said:
Bring the Last Story to America, Nintendo, and all will be forgiven

"Hey early adopters, you paid $80 more for the system than others will have to pay in the future, so here's a game we localized for a console you may or may not even own that may not even appeal to you!"

Randomizer

UncleSporky said:
Doesn't initial 3DS setup walk you through connecting to the internet and turning options on for SpotPass and such? A lot of people would see the message delivered to them, if they actually turn the 3DS on between now and the cutoff date.

But then, what sort of people bought the 3DS this early? Ambassadors. People who are internet savvy enough to know it's not just another DS and to know it was something they wanted. Savvy enough to read about this.

I suppose the majority of early adapters are gaming enthusiasts but I am sure there are a few families and casual gamers out there missing out. But I suppose if they are ignorant to it they aren't really missing out anyway.

Be careful not to act too pleased with the announced games. I'm betting Nintendo only revealed 5 of each to gauge customer satisfaction with the announced freebies. If we blow our load too much, they'll hold back the heavy hitters and give us shit games for the remaining 10.

/speculation

After all, splooging is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Randomizer

civilstrife said:
Be careful not to act too pleased with the announced games. I'm betting Nintendo only revealed 5 of each to gauge customer satisfaction with the announced freebies. If we blow our load too much, they'll hold back the heavy hitters and give us shit games for the remaining 10.

/speculation

How many shit first party games are on the GBA?

Edit: Maybe they haven't been announced because they are third party games.

KaYotiX

Banned
Was kinda pisses to see a price drop so soon (early adopter price ya pay) but I'm happy to see we will be getting free games :) Love the VC and I can't wait to have some of those games in my back pocket with no cartridges to swap out :)

Roto13

Easy_D said:
I wonder if there's a secret command to get rid of the blur like on the Wii where you go into the Guide Menu and hold Z+C A+B or whatever. Then it just re-sizes the pixels and doesn't filter them. Looks tons better.
Wait, what?

Amir0x

Banned
Billychu said:
Amir0x speaks the truth, as usual. M&L is in my top 10 games of all time. I really need to pick up the Bowser one because I hear it's better than the awful Partners in Time.

Bowser's Inside Story is pretty rad, yeah.

Super sweet and awesome music.

sfried said:
If they localize Rhythm Tengoku/ Rhythm Heaven GBA, I would bound to agree.

Then again, it took some time for the DS to have it's own slew of titles to surpass the GBA.

Of course. But I mean... the GBA ROM dumps - just the 5 they're showing us - are better than the combined total library of what is actually out for 3DS. I'm just amusing myself, don't mind me :p

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Perhaps this is a stupid question but if I already own a 3DS do I qualify as an 'ambassador'? Do I need to register or do something to ensure my free games.

Emitan

jetjevons said:
Perhaps this is a stupid question but if I already own a 3DS do I qualify as an 'ambassador'? Do I need to register or do something to ensure my free games.
Go onto the eShop. You are now a government licensed ambassador.

Takao

Banned
Watch us all get Hamtaro games.

I ain't even mad.

Of course I'm mad, Natsume localized a Hamtaro game and didn't localize my beloved.

thegreatchamp said:
All I want is at least one Pokemon game and no spinoffs.

Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire is what you're going to get.

Big One

Banned
Does anyone want to take a crack at making some mockups of those games in 3DS' resolution? I want to see how well they scale.

I've attempted doing mockups for the GBA before and it always ends up with mixed quality unfortunately.

ruxtpin

Banned
This came in the nick of time. I know people rail against trading stuff in, but after seeing that the PacMan/Galaga Dimensions game was going to follow RE:Revelations save system, I was getting everything ready to take to my local GS and just dump the thing. Nintendo realizing they're not invincible and actually doing something smart to keep customers means I'll keep my 3DS around a bit longer. =)

Futureman said:
if Nintendo doesn't set up some kind of transfer system, they deserve to be berated by the press (and consumers). They've got to be clueless if they think people will buy multiple copies of virtual games so they work on every system. They need to realise there is more profit potential by saying, "Buy a VC title, and it works on every system we make" instead of the bullshit "Buy 3 copies of SMB if you want to play it on your 3DS, Wii, and Wii U LOL."

Yeah, but even if they were transferable, I doubt it'll be simultaneously playable on both systems if DSiware is anything to go by.

Takao

Banned
Big One said:
Does anyone want to take a crack at making some mockups of those games in 3DS' resolution? I want to see how well they scale.

I've attempted doing mockups for the GBA before and it always ends up with mixed quality unfortunately.

3DS 2D resolution is 400 by 240, right? Here is GBA (240 x 160):

sVeKY.png

Here is "like" 3DS (I say like because I could get it to fit 240, so it's 400 x 270):

With smoothing:
xq4bj.png

Without:

RSigv.png

graywolf323

so if I buy one from Best Buy next week I would be eligible for this and could then get my purchase price adjusted the following week when the price drops?

Clunker

I hadn't even thought about the logistics of the upscaling and resolution. D: I decided to try my DS games on the 3DS to see how I felt about things again; my initial assessment was that all of my games look like crap fullscreen, but Radiant Historia looks quite nice. It's Dragon Quest and Etrian Odyssey with their art styles that look like greasy messes unless I use the 1:1 mode.

Please lord, let us choose the resolutions when we boot these bad boys up.

Big One

Banned
Takao said:
3DS 2D resolution is 400 by 240, right? Here is GBA (240 x 160):

*snip*

Here is "like" 3DS (I say like because I could get it to fit 240, so it's 400 x 270):

With smoothing:
*snip*

Without:

*snip*
I was asking specifically about the games in the OP, not in general.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
nincompoop said:
And don't mind having a third of the original viewing area chopped off. And having some of the awesome effects neutered. (Touch fuzzy get dizzy :( )
And don't you forget it.

zychi

Banned
Shadowlink said:
Anyone who has purchased a 3DS and signs on the 3DS shop channel before August 11 I believe.
so what happens for someone like me who bought a 3ds, logged on, bought zelda dx, sold my 3ds. my "account" was on there before, but what happens if i wait til october to buy a new 3ds?

graywolf323 said:
so if I buy one from Best Buy next week I would be eligible for this and could then get my purchase price adjusted the following week when the price drops?
What I did today after I got like half the stores employees to swear that it would happen.

Big One

Banned
Thanks to the wonders of photoshop, here's one for each of the five NES games:

1RttC.png

Abnf9.png

8DlDa.png

pjwD1.png

azSTe.png

Though I'm not sure exactly how accurate this is in relation to how the 3DS scales it's games to be honest.

Clunker

zychi said:
so what happens for someone like me who bought a 3ds, logged on, bought zelda dx, sold my 3ds. my "account" was on there before, but what happens if i wait til october to buy a new 3ds?
You're hosed. They haven't given full specifics, but Nintendo doesn't really do the logical "account" thing, and it's all but assured that it'll be tied to hardware and not any Club Nintendo accounts. Whoever bought your 3DS will sure enjoy your free 20 VC games, though!

Alternate answer:

Iwata: (laughs)

graywolf323

ZekeThePlumber said:
Theoretically.

SteveWinwood said:
What I did today after I got like half the stores employees to swear that it would happen.

the fact Amazon has the price drop listed as a preorder has me somewhat concerned it's actually going to be a different SKU so stores can refuse to do post-order price guarantees (then again wtf are they going to do with all the old stock if so?)

I have to wait a week anyways since can't afford it at $250 until I get paid again next Friday so have some time to ponder it

jgkspsx

graywolf323 said:
This is my plan. I bought one fair and square already, this just splits the difference.

graywolf323 said:
the fact Amazon has the price drop listed as a preorder has me somewhat concerned it's actually going to be a different SKU so stores can refuse to do post-order price guarantees (then again wtf are they going to do with all the old stock if so?)
Yeah, is Nintendo going to send out UPC stickers or something? Seems unlikely. It's probably something Amazon's doing so people don't stop buying 3DSes immediately.

Top Bottom