• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

jwluther

Londa said:
Hold the heck up? I get gameboy advance games that will never be on the 3DS once the price drop???? Wtfffff
No... you get GBA games that will never be sold in the eShop ... supposedly.

jwluther

isoku said:
I thought more icons were added once space fills up. I read that a few times somewhere here. Anyways I wish there was a VC app/folder that I could hold all VC games.
Oh, well never mind then. :)

Shiggy

jwluther said:
No... you get GBA games that will never be sold in the eShop ... supposedly.

No... you get GBA games which are currently not planned to be available for sale in the eShop.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Roto13 said:
That's ridiculous. Every single one of these games is good or great. Every single one.
I don't know, I have been sort of over Ice Climbers and Balloon Fighter for years.

Symphonic

Shiggy said:
No... you get GBA games which are currently not planned to be available for sale in the eShop.

They announced that GBA games were coming at some point, I thought? Why is everyone acting surprised?

Roto13

loblaw said:
They announced that GBA games were coming at some point, I thought? Why is everyone acting surprised?
Because they never actually announced that. Game news sites just jumped to conclusions and started quoting each other. :p

King_Moc

Banned
I don't recall them announcing GBA games. I think this 'not currently planned' thing is just to cover the fact that they still haven't announced them. I guess they wanted to wait until after they'd finished with the original Game Boy as they felt less people would buy those games with the GBA stuff out there.

GeekyDad

Big One said:
Man holy shit, I dunno how I'm gonna fit all of these games on my Home screen, lol. I already have a good amount of DSi games that fit neatly on there.

Yeah, my system menu will soon look like my PC desktop. No complaints here. :)

Already said this in the original price cut topic, but I'll say it again

The 10 games that have yet to be revealed better be fucking worth it cause as of now, the only free game I'm interested in is Super Mario Advance 3

King_Moc said:
I don't recall them announcing GBA games. I think this 'not currently planned' thing is just to cover the fact that they still haven't announced them. I guess they wanted to wait until after they'd finished with the original Game Boy as they felt less people would buy those games with the GBA stuff out there.
I doubt they could get less people buying games such as Baseball and Alleyway because they announce that they will release GBA games in a year.

Roto13

AndyMoogle said:
I doubt they could get less people buying games such as Baseball and Alleyway because they announce that they will release GBA games in a year.
Well they wouldn't announce it a year in advance anyway. That's just too long a wait for this kind of thing.

bozeman

So....get a 3DS now, get the free games, take the receipt in to the store after the price drop and get some money back? Sounds like a plan!

Roto13 said:
Well they wouldn't announce it a year in advance anyway. That's just too long a wait for this kind of thing.
They could say that they will release GBA games in the future. Saying that they have no plans at all, and that we won't be able to transfer our GBA games to a new system isn't exactly what anyone want to hear.

The GBA games will be available eventually, no doubt. I'm reminded of how before the Famicom Mini/NES Classics line was officially announced, we first saw a GBA version of Super Mario Bros. as part of a reward in Japan's Club Nintendo equivalent.

King_Moc

Banned

Fair point with those two games, I've no idea why they bothered. I was thinking more of Super Mario Land and the like. Zelda and DK '94 hold up well (very well, actually), but a large number of old 'classics' really don't. Certainly not in comparison with what was on GBA.

Trust me, i bought Double Dragon :/

GeekyDad

Snaku said:
The entire 3DS venture thus far says otherwise.

Oh please. They had a huge 3DS launch in terms of system sales, but not even Nintendo can control the hand of God (nor the earthquake in Japan). It wasn't exactly the perfect storm of failure on their part. System sales cooled off. Even in light of uncontrollable, unforeseeable events, they've done well. None of us are going to agree with every decision that company makes, but let's not bullshit each other about Iwata's intellect -- the guy's a man among men (and women). And this price drop, along with the free-games offering, is just their quarterback running the ball when he realizes he has no other alternative. At least they're not sitting there waiting to get sacked.

Gravijah

oatmeal said:
Eh?

If they're not finished, how are they releasing them to early adopters?

They will be beta emulations (the NES games at least) without manuals or multiplayer. They'll then be updated when they are released on the VC.

Gravijah said:
They will be beta emulations (the NES games at least) without manuals or multiplayer. They'll then be updated when they are released on the VC.

So long as chunks of actual game content aren't cut out, I certainly don't mind waiting for the full versions.

EEEEEEEE FUCKING YOSHI'S ISLAND

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Balloon Fight is the best Joust clone ever. I could see people being down on Ice Climber or something else but Balloon Fight is seriously one of their better early games.

Sennorin

Banned
Man, as much as I felt stung by the price cut announcement initially, I´m really looking forward to getting 20 downloadable games. That´s what I wanted for the 3DS, lots of small-ish games that I don´t have to carry around a cartridge for each of them. In combination with the more rare retail-blockbusters, 20 digital titles will make me use my 3DS a loooot.

I'm definitely looking forward to the GBA version of Super Mario Kart and Yoshi's Island.

Still think I'd rather have my $80 back though. :/

oatmeal

Banned
Gravijah said:

Oooh, thanks for clarifying.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I had a suuuuper deal on launch where I saved basically 80 Euros for the 3DS since my retailer was giving me two games of my choice for free. Couple that with those 20 free games and I am a happy 3DS owner :p

I've gotten more than my money's worth from the system between sf4 and ghost recon, but ill take metroid fusion any day of the week if they insist on giving it to me. Good stuff nintendo.

Mrbob

Toma said:
I had a suuuuper deal on launch where I saved basically 80 Euros for the 3DS since my retailer was giving me two games of my choice for free. Couple that with those 20 free games and I am a happy 3DS owner :p

Yeah with my DS Lite trade in at launch I'll be making out fairly well with the 20 free games.

jwluther

NubInaTub said:
how do you become an ambassador?
From the press release:
Nintendo said:
These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program.

Kurtofan

Roto13 said:
So come August 12th, how many posts will we see asking "Where mah free games at?"
I'm glad the free 3DS headline caught my attention! :D

I think it should be a sticky or something.

(._.)

Banned
Pretty underwhelming list seeing as I have owned or play just about every game on this list. Was hoping for a free 3DS title :(

shahkur

Do I need to register my 3DS on Club Nintendo as well as having logged on to the eshop before August 11th? I'm confused. Someone, please help me.

steveovig

It seems pretty absurd to think that they won't sell GBA games sometime in the future for the 3DS, especially considering people want to buy them. Then again, this is Nintendo we're talking about. Either way, I'm happy I bought my 3DS last month despite the price drop.

hatchx

Banned
All I have to say is:

'WOOHOO!'

Games I would have gladly paid for! Yoshi's Island I would have dropped 9.99 on, same with Mario Kart, Metroid Fusion, etc. This is awesome.

I wonder if any of these games will be downloadable in the future with 3D support (where they mention ambassadors will get the 'upgrade').

Top Bottom