• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Takao said:
There is a Hamtaro game made by Alpha Dream which was released in Europe, but not North America.

I say we'll get that.
Nintendo doesn't own Hamtaro though, they just licensed it. They won't put up anything for free that they'd have to pay someone else for.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm sure I missed this somewhere, but now that NCL/NOA have admitted to planning the release of NES titles on their handhelds, it would seem to raise the question of whether the WiiU and 3DS will have any sort of "linking" of accounts on the eShop. Will all my Wii NES purchases be playable on my handheld once the handheld offers those games as well? I mean, the DSi transfers to the 3DS, and the Wii is logically going to transfer to the WiiU...

Pikma said:
Nope, there's two of us fools. :p
Three now. I've more than enjoyed my 3ds in all honesty. About as happy as I've usually been on launch day, outside of the gamecube launch(smash, star wars, luigi, tony hawk). DC launch was pretty nice as well.

tearsofash

I really appreciate the argument of "well you bought it at that price and obviously were OK with it, so deal with this price drop." Its actually pretty rational, but at the same time I still can't help but to raise my fist in quiet anger at nintendo when I'm alone at night.

That being said, I am genuinely grateful for these, and I might actually be a reason for my to sell my darling pink DS lite.

Negator

I'm really surprised Nintendo even bothered at all to compensate early adopters. They could have easily just dropped the price and did nothing.

Now I'll have a ton of free games to play!

Jackano

DavidDayton said:
I'm sure I missed this somewhere, but now that NCL/NOA have admitted to planning the release of NES titles on their handhelds, it would seem to raise the question of whether the WiiU and 3DS will have any sort of "linking" of accounts on the eShop. Will all my Wii NES purchases be playable on my handheld once the handheld offers those games as well? I mean, the DSi transfers to the 3DS, and the Wii is logically going to transfer to the WiiU...

The games appears in my Club Nintendo account, so they better do it account related and transferable between 3DS, Wii and Wii U. I do not say I think Nintendo will do it, I say now we know that it clearly appears they have the possibility to do it.

Negator said:
I'm really surprised Nintendo even bothered at all to compensate early adopters. They could have easily just dropped the price and did nothing.
They would have endure a lot of complaints when people are already feeling low about Nintendo (lack of Wii support in North America, a lot of people not too pleased with the current state of 3DS). As they're going to have to price protect retail with regards to the price drop (how much of the launch/current inventory is sold, they need to refund the difference) they can write this off as a similar loss.

I remember in the UK with the N64 it was £250 then a few months later was £150 (by the end of the year it was £100). After lots of complaints they caved in giving a free copy of Mairo Kart 64 and (I think) a second controller (might have got this mixxed up with Xbox 1...though that was 2 games and controller) to those who got it at £250. The digital method is easier than having to send games out (plus most people won't bother to go online so won't claim it anyway).

lunchwithyuzo said:
Nintendo doesn't own Hamtaro though, they just licensed it. They won't put up anything for free that they'd have to pay someone else for.
Didn't they release the GBA Dolumo-Kun game as DSiWare and in America even? Then again those were paid for vs free.

Clunker said:
Please lord, let us choose the resolutions when we boot these bad boys up.
Given the GB emulator allows that it would be a retrograde step for GBA not to.

Amir0x

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
Also, am I the only one who came out ahead by being an early adopter, even without the free games?

I am only a little miffed 'cause the whole reason I purchased one now is because I thought there was no chance of a price drop before Paper Mario 3DS came out. So this already proved the wrongness of that approach. But a price drop THIS astronomical, however? Even blew away my wildest imagined scenarios.

Still, I'm not really angry. I could do without those NES games, but the GBA games... that shit I'm going to get along with juuuuust nicely.

krumble

abstract alien said:
Three now. I've more than enjoyed my 3ds in all honesty. About as happy as I've usually been on launch day, outside of the gamecube launch(smash, star wars, luigi, tony hawk). DC launch was pretty nice as well.

Add me to the list

Celine

Also, am I the only one who came out ahead by being an early adopter, even without the free games?
After 100+ hours on SSF4 I was still a bit bothered by the big cut however 10 good Nintendo GBA games can make up for it.
I just hope that the other 5 are great games too.
Stuff like M&L SS, Minish Cap, Advance Wars (2), Fire Emblem.

Amir0x

Banned
Celine said:
After 100+ hours on SSF4 I was still a bit bothered by the big cut however 10 good Nintendo GBA games can make up for it.
I just hope that the other 5 are great games too.
Stuff like M&L SS, Minish Cap, Advance Wars (2), Fire Emblem.

Dude if they give me Minish Cap and Mario and Luigi...

but they won't :(

Negator said:

Now I'll have a ton of free games to play!

imho, this is the least Nintendo could do. even MS offered two games or a game and a control pad to the early adopters of the original XBOX when MS cut its price from 299£ (launched here in Europe in march 2002) to 199£ (april 2002)

I'm hoping Advance Wars shows up. My friend's been bugging me to get into the series, and this'd be the perfect opportunity to do so.

Shiggy

Amir0x said:
fuck Drill Dozer is another rad choice

I don't think Nintendo will allow games, that were never released in some reasons, to be released for free. That would be like handing out Xenoblade Chronicles for free when WiiU fails.

Gravijah

I'm almost expecting that the remaining 10 games will be trash, and their trashiness is why we don't know what they are yet.

let's pretend the minish cap is trash so nintendo will add it

dwu8991 said:
Notice the lack of new IPs, thank god the DS came!
Hopefully these coming out on VC can change the crazy opinion that GBA library > DS library which I've read around here a couple of times before.
The DS library is by far the best handheld library there is!

AniHawk

I'm almost expecting that the remaining 10 games will be trash, and their trashiness is why we don't know what they are yet.
actually, i don't think they have planned that far ahead yet, and since they're planning to sell these eventually, i doubt they'd put out trash.

but if they did, the list would totally be:

dk: king of swing
game & watch gallery 4
kirby & the amazing mirror
mario party advance
golden sun
duck hunt (with added gyro controls)
kid icarus
mother
wario's woods
yoshi's cookie

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sadist said:
One of those GBA games will be a Kirby game I suppose.

Here's hoping for Fire Emblem 7
Same. I am assuming Nightmare in Dreamland, since that one would have less potential IP issues (Who knows if Capcom has any rights to Amazing Mirror still)

AniHawk said:
actually, i don't think they have planned that far ahead yet, and since they're planning to sell these eventually, i doubt they'd put out trash.

but if they did, the list would totally be:

dk: king of swing
game & watch gallery 4
kirby & the amazing mirror
mario party advance
golden sun
duck hunt (with added gyro controls)
kid icarus
mother
wario's woods
yoshi's cookie

A bit conservative of you.

The GBA games will obviously be:

Classic NES Series: Excitebike
Classic NES Series: The Legend of Zelda
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros.
Classic NES Series: Xevious
And Classic NES Series: Ice Climber.

Sadist

So...

Nintendo's well received GBA output (and released in the west)

The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Advance Wars
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Metroid Fusion
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Golden Sun
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Metroid: Zero Mission
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
Wario Land 4
WarioWare: Twisted!
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Super Mario Advance
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 3

* Excluding Pokémon games and NES Classics

The ones bolded are the choices bound to happen imo

Highwind

Cool, just received my 3DS from Amazon today and bought Link's Awakening.

These free games should tide me over till Mario 3d Land and Kart come out, along with Starfox.

Labadal said:
I'm probably stupid as ****, but I can't find the E-shop on my 3DS. Swedish gaffer here, if that is relevant.

You've probably not run the firmware update that installs it. Try doing a system update and it should appear as a new icon on your menu.

Labadal

Cosmonaut X said:
You've probably not run the firmware update that installs it. Try doing a system update and it should appear as a new icon on your menu.

Ah, thank you very much. Haven't updated as you said.

Takao

Banned
elohel said:
lol wait really?!

Yes. Some stores in Canada are selling units for $200 this week. I'd buy it for that price to register eShop (and thus get these games), get price protection, and receive $40 back when the price drop occurs.

elohel

Takao said:
Yes. Some stores in Canada are selling units for $200 this week. I'd buy it for that price to register eShop (and thus get these games), get price protection, and receive $40 back when the price drop occurs.

man i was totally gonna pick one up today

Shiggy said:
I don't think Nintendo will allow games, that were never released in some reasons, to be released for free. That would be like handing out Xenoblade Chronicles for free when WiiU fails.
I think Kururin could easily be one of the free games. In fact, I hope it is.

MicH

This is absolutely glorious. Especially since I got my 3DS cheap when trading in my DSi. I've played most of the games before, but it's such a long time ago. I really cannot wait and I don't regret getting it early at all! Love you, Nintendo.

I hope one of the Golden Sun games is one of the remaining five GBA games. That would be awesome.

Also the whining is awful and annoying. Jesus.

Roto13

Andrex said:
we don't have to pretend
Is this your first post after getting unbanned? This shit right here? >_>
Drkirby said:
I don't think Nintendo will do it due to no Rumble in the 3DS.
Was the rumble key to the experience or something? It plays a somewhat meaningful part in Ocarina of Time and the Wii VC version of that doesn't support rumble.

Clunker

Roto13 said:
Was the rumble key to the experience or something? It plays a somewhat meaningful part in Ocarina of Time and the Wii VC version of that doesn't support rumble.
The rumble is a huge part of Drill Dozer (a fantastic gem of a GBA game, btw) -- since you're drilling through enemies, obstacles, and puzzles the entire game, you feel three different levels of rumble depending on the strength level of each drill, shifting up and down like a gearshift.

I suppose I could imagine the game without it, but it would be incredibly neutered.

Gravijah

AndyMoogle said:
Ice Climbers can be a blast when playing 2 players. Sadly that feature won't be available on the 3DS version...

I thought the NES games were going to support multiplayer over local wireless? Only the beta versions won't, at first.

Top Bottom