• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Thoraxes

Given the list we have left, very worst case scenario we will get 3 bad games and 2 awesome games.

I'm really not worried at all at this point. This is a great move by Nintendo, and honestly I would've been happy with just Fusion alone. Everything else is just an added bonus for me.

Roto13

It would be nice to get a pinball game. I was realizing today that I have no handheld pinball games I can play on my DS or 3DS. :p

Thoraxes

Roto13 said:
It would be nice to get a pinball game. I was realizing today that I have no handheld pinball games I can play on my DS or 3DS. :p
Metroid Pinbasll does exist... but that's all I can think of anyways.

Gravijah

Pokemon Pinball GB & GBA are both great. Wouldn't mind the latter being a part of the 10 free games and I hope the former pops up on the VC.

Reticent Rhino said:
I don't expect them to give us another mainline Mario platformer so that rules out Super Mario Advance. Likewise, we're getting NES Zelda and Four Swords Adventures for free so I don't expect Link to the Past.

But as you've already pointed out with Pokemon, you probably won't be able to link with other players, so it's not like we'd be able to play Four Swords in LttP.

Plan is to get it at Best Buy tomorrow morning.

I am guessing Mario Party Advance to get the brand a little kick-start again ahead on the 2012 Wii version. Last Mario Party was 4 years ago. Never played and maybe not a good advertisement to put forth the worst received game in the franchise.

I know Mario Golf: Advance Tour is great and have spent over a full day of hours on that to clear it. Mario Tennis Advance is supposed to be in the same mold. I only got 1 other on that list, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. That game could help Paper Mario 3DS.

M-PG71C

Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Drill Dozer, and Kirby. MAKE IT HAPPEN, BITCHES!

The NES alone is enough to make me say, "worth it". The GBA is a love letter in the making.

Rich!

Wait what what

I get free GBA games? My 3DS was £199.99 on launch day with my staff discount, and now I get this...holy shit, this is awesome!

Wario Land 4 and the Minish Cap had better be in the pipeline though, love those two!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
richisawesome said:
Wait what what

I get free GBA games? My 3DS was £199.99 on launch day with my staff discount, and now I get this...holy shit, this is awesome!

Wario Land 4 and the Minish Cap had better be in the pipeline though, love those two!
It was pretty great for UK consumers who had the benefit of a very competitive market keeping the 3DS price down. Buying at launch also enabled me to get Pilotwings for a tenner which is a price I was happy paying. I honestly don't feel at all swindled by the slash in price so the free games are a very nice and surprising bonus.

Roto13

rpmurphy said:
Did Pinball Pulse ever end up appearing on the eShop or is that still only available on DSi's?
I think it's only on DSi but that's not the point. I want a free pinball game. :p

Rich!

BGBW said:
It was pretty great for UK consumers who had the benefit of a very competitive market keeping the 3DS price down. Buying at launch also enabled me to get Pilotwings for a tenner which is a price I was happy paying. I honestly don't feel at all swindled by the slash in price so the free games are a very nice and surprising bonus.

I got pilotwings for cheap too, and I've racked up 14 hours on it according to my playtime log. worth every penny.

kuru kuru kururin and kururin paradise please

richisawesome said:
Wait what what

hehe. the 3ds was 20% off regular price the first weekend it was out here. ALL GOOD. which still was £25 over your price quoted there, but. but. I was pleased by this anyway.

I just bought a 3DS at Best Buy because they have such nice return policies (and people, at least in the location I'm dealing with). 30 days of coverage. They assured me that I will very easily get my money back. I also confirmed I can return the 3DS even if it's opened, so long as it's not damaged. Nice guys. Easy as pie. I'm now lounging in Ocarina of Time and Mercenaries and it's awesome. I'm looking forward to the Ambassador program!

For those interested:

Wal-Mart employees claimed the price protection program lasted only 7 days, but I don't believe them. I believe it is 30. Check around.

Target and Shopko are 14 days. K-Mart is 7 days.

hardcastle_mccormick said:
Wal-Mart employees claimed the price protection program lasted only 7 days, but I don't believe them. I believe it is 30. Check around.

It always depends of the store. Where I work (Walmart, in Canada), it's 14 days.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Shotgun Kiss said:
Don't expect Pokemon; since the whole emphasis of the Pokemon games is to trade, not being able to do so (I highly doubt Nintendo will program wireless mutliplayer into these) somewhat undermines them somewhat.

Fire Red / Leaf Green / Emerald had wireless multi with the adapater couldn't the emulate that? Besides at the very least ya could Pal Park your own PKMN to the five 4th gen games then transfer 'em to the 5th gen ones. Since the DSi & XL couldn't play GBA games the 3rd gen ones got left in the dust for many people. It'd be nice to give every another shot at 'em by re-releasing them like this so old movepools and stuff could live on.

backlot

Lindsay said:
Fire Red / Leaf Green / Emerald had wireless multi with the adapater couldn't the emulate that? Besides at the very least ya could Pal Park your own PKMN to the five 4th gen games then transfer 'em to the 5th gen ones. Since the DSi & XL couldn't play GBA games the 3rd gen ones got left in the dust for many people. It'd be nice to give every another shot at 'em by re-releasing them like this so old movepools and stuff could live on.
I doubt Pal Park could work on a 3DS. The DS games were programmed to check for a game in the GBA slot. They wouldn't know where to find the game data on the 3DS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GeekyDad said:
And one other thing, Nintendo: Nix the region-locking. Then we'll be straight, I think.

I wonder if they'll ever do that, or if anyone has. Kill region-locking for a console after it's already launched...

WEGGLES

how do you know if you're an ambassador? I bought one today (30 day price match, have my cake and eat it too!). I've been online and linked to my club nintendo... is that all? Is there an icon or something that shows me as an ambassador?

ViperVisor said:
Plan is to get it at Best Buy tomorrow morning.

I am guessing Mario Party Advance to get the brand a little kick-start again ahead on the 2012 Wii version. Last Mario Party was 4 years ago. Never played and maybe not a good advertisement to put forth the worst received game in the franchise.

I know Mario Golf: Advance Tour is great and have spent over a full day of hours on that to clear it. Mario Tennis Advance is supposed to be in the same mold. I only got 1 other on that list, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. That game could help Paper Mario 3DS.

Ooo, that brings back memories. I played more of the GBC Mario golf though so I hope that one gets released as a GBC game. I'd rather not the GBA ports of regular games like Party and Tennis though. Hoping for more that originated on the GBA.

WEGGLES said:
how do you know if you're an ambassador? I bought one today (30 day price match, have my cake and eat it too!). I've been online and linked to my club nintendo... is that all? Is there an icon or something that shows me as an ambassador?

I think it's just logging into the store. I thought Nintendo was just calling it the ambassador program "unofficially". As in, we're the ambassadors. I still don't think I'm making sense. :/

Mario Golf Advance tour is pretty good, hope that gets included

WEGGLES said:

You should be alright, download a free video (luigis mansion 2) to be sure, it looks awesome in 3D B^)

WEGGLES

friskykillface said:
Mario Golf Advance tour is pretty good, hope that gets included

You should be alright, download a free video (luigis mansion 2) to be sure, it looks awesome in 3D B^)
Will do!

I really hope some sort of Harvest Moon game makes the free 20 games.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nintendo gives me a compelling argument, by having a massive price drop 3 months after release, and for forgiveness giving me a bunch of games I already own. Remember when Apple had a massive price drop for the original iPhone? Did they get a cash difference for the device or an itunes card worth $200?

WEGGLES

Roto13 said:
Pretty sure those E3 trailers are gone.
I can't seem to find them and searching Luigi and Mansion brings up nothing. Downloaded Nintendo Video and the pokedex and netflix. Should be good.

If you go online to troll the Vita, they give you diplomatic immunity.

Vita? More like pita... pita wrap 'cause it's done like dinner. Or something.

Nintendo would make a killing on releasing the older Pokemon games, updated to use the 3DS wireless for trading/battling. I'm pretty sure they know this, which is why they wouldn't limit them to a special program for early adopters.

That said, if they did do one of them, it'd probably be Emerald. The third version is always the most rounded package.

I think Minish Cap, Mario & Luigi, and Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland will be included.

GeekyDad

Aaron Strife said:
I think Minish Cap, Mario & Luigi, and Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland will be included.

Those three alone would be crazy. Have two of 'em on carts already, but it sure would be nice to just have them on my 3DS system menu and revisit them again.

PKrockin

I would rage (ie be fairly upset) if Mother was one of the hidden NES titles in Japan but the rest of the world got something else, a la the SSBB EarthBound demo. This is supposed to be a reward for the hardcore Nintendo fans after all.

Gravijah

PKrockin said:
I would rage (ie be fairly upset) if Mother was one of the hidden NES titles in Japan but the rest of the world got something else, a la the SSBB EarthBound demo. This is supposed to be a reward for the hardcore Nintendo fans after all.

I don't really see why it would be. The demo in SSBB was there because of the fact that Ness was in the game.

I think the bigger news out of all this might be that Nintendo's planning on making us re-purchase all our Virtual Console games for the 3DS.

That's so strange that they would never offer Metroid Fusion or Wario Ware to the public.

Maybe some remakes or semi-remakes are in the works for several of these titles?

Im wondering if the other 5 games for each system will be 3rd party and thats why nintendo announced there games up front. Like Square or Capcom stuff.

KAL2006

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
I think the bigger news out of all this might be that Nintendo's planning on making us re-purchase all our Virtual Console games for the 3DS.

THIS

I am surprised the journalists, gamers and etc are not shittibng on Nintendo about this. Rebuying NES games on 3DS that you already bought for Wii is a rip off. They could have easily let you transfer your games, hell PSP can play PS1 Classics that also work on PS3. Why can't it be the same for NES games with Wii and 3DS.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Uh...they're not "making" you. If you do purchase them, its under your own will. Just saying.

Roto13

KAL2006 said:
THIS

I am surprised the journalists, gamers and etc are not shittibng on Nintendo about this. Rebuying NES games on 3DS that you already bought for Wii is a rip off. They could have easily let you transfer your games, hell PSP can play PS1 Classics that also work on PS3. Why can't it be the same for NES games with Wii and 3DS.
You're surprised journalists aren't making assumptions and jumping to conclusions because they like to be outraged?

PKrockin

KAL2006 said:
THIS

Although it's probably wishful thinking, it's entirely possible you will be able to transfer but you'll just have to wait until the system is in place and the games are actually available on the store. Like what happened with DSiWare.

oatmeal

Banned
I feel like Nintendo could very easily track what we've purchased so far and make them downloadable on whatever next-system is (WiiU, 4DS) because all of my purchases are logged on Club Nintendo.

I mean we integrate our Wii and 3DS to CN, so why oh why can't we just use that as the way to keep our accounts stocked?

Nintendo, it's so goddamn simple.

Lindsay said:

Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to include rumble support or memory pak support for N64 games on the Wii's Virtual Console, and those would be a LOT easier to program.

PKrockin said:
So you're saying that they should translate Mother for free? Good luck with that.

Top Bottom