• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

A Link to the Snitch said:
A bit conservative of you.

The GBA games will obviously be:

Classic NES Series: Excitebike
Classic NES Series: The Legend of Zelda
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros.
Classic NES Series: Xevious
And Classic NES Series: Ice Climber.

I would love for this to happen just to see the reactions on the forums.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
so how do I sign up for this? I bought a 3DS at launch. Yesterday I connected to the eShop and bought mighty flip champs, but I didn't see anything to register as an early adopter or anything

SmithnCo

GaimeGuy said:
so how do I sign up for this? I bought a 3DS at launch. Yesterday I connected to the eShop and bought mighty flip champs, but I didn't see anything to register as an early adopter or anything

Pretty sure you just need to connect to the eshop. Or register your 3DS at Club Nintendo just to be safe.

425kid

If one of the game is Warioware Twisted, all is forgiven.

Who am I kidding? The announced stuff is more than enough for me. I just want to play Warioware Twisted.

Gravijah

ronniehehehaha said:

Who am I kidding? The announced stuff is more than enough for me. I just want to play Warioware Twisted.

With one of the games being WarioWare Inc, I doubt Twisted will be in the package.

M3d10n

This talk about multiplayer on NES VC does sound like a plausible reason for why Nintendo hasn't announced console VC for the 3DS from day one. Handheld games, for the most part, are single-player while many great console games have local multiplayer, which would not work on a plain Wii-style emulator on the 3DS. They were probably experimenting with local multiplayer-enabled emulators before they announced anything.

Roto13

If I get bored later I'm going to count the number of times people ask how to become an ambassador and divide it by the number of pages, because I'm pretty sure the result will be more than 1, even at 50 posts per page.

ronniehehehaha said:

If Nintendo can't get rumble and controller pak support in N64 games I wouldn't hold your breath for gyroscope support.

Epic Drop

I just wanted to thank the posters in this thread who recommended purchasing a 3DS now through Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, or a similar retailer with a Price Drop Guarantee.

I purchased my 3DS from Best Buy yesterday, and will use the Price Drop Guarantee to get my $80 back on August 12th - Plus, I'll get Ambassador status and the 20 free games that come with it.

Maybe I'm not sneaky enough, but I had not even considered using the Price Drop policies to get a $170 3DS and still get the free games. So a big thank you from me!

AbsoluteZero said:
If Nintendo can't get rumble and controller pak support in N64 games I wouldn't hold your breath for gyroscope support.
This makes me wonder if any of the gyro code they've already used in games would be applicable (or if the code wouild be shared by whoever does the emulators?). Then again Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, Wario Ware Twisted and I think that puzzle game I forgot the name of (I'm kicking myself for not getting it when it was cheap on play-asia about 3 years ago) are the only first party GBA gyro games (well that I can think of) and from what I can gather they all use different forms of it. Then again given the previous VC emulators are essentially a different emulator developed for that game (but bulit on existing work).

So gyro kind of ends up in the few (first party) games would benefit/use category of controller pak, Super FX and certain NES mappers. Yes Wario Ware Twisted is great but so is Yoshi's Island but we still never saw Super FX.

Bakphoon

b3b0p said:
Mother, Mother 2, and Mother 3 would be epic.

I'm day dreaming.

1. Dont play with my heart.

2.They could do those three game alone for the ambassador progam, and the sales of the 3DS would skyrocket even at 250$/€ . ( I would buy instanlty one)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Or DOES it?

The funny thing about my avatar is Chimchar was the one starter I didn't choose. I got Piplup in Pearl and Turtwig in Platinum. :p

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Or DOES it?

The funny thing about my avatar is Chimchar was the one starter I didn't choose. I got Piplup in Pearl and Turtwig in Platinum. :p

That's because Piplup and Turtwig are mondo cool while Chimchar is lame.

Cranzor

b3b0p said:
Mother, Mother 2, and Mother 3 would be epic.

I'm day dreaming.

Mother wouldn't happen, it was never officially released it.

Mother 2 wouldn't happen, no SNES games are being given away.

Mother 3 wouldn't happen, there's no official english translation and it was never released here.

But I'm sure you already know that. *sigh*

Need to see what the other games are since out of the 10 I already own 3 and only want 3 of the others. Either way I only paid $190 for my 3DS and enjoyed the heck out of Pilotwings, Zelda, and the DSi shop so I'm mollified.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
That's because Piplup and Turtwig are mondo cool while Chimchar is lame.

Totally. Although it's really their final forms that are mondo cool.

You're still rocking the Scribble avy? That game came out like four years ago jeeze.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Totally. Although it's really their final forms that are mondo cool.

You're still rocking the Scribble avy? That game came out like four years ago jeeze.

My avatar is iconic, mang. People on other forums have even stole it. :(

I really hope we get either Zelda: Minish Cap (I haven't played it), or Link to the Past.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got an F-Zero game. If so, I hope it's Maximum Velocity, and not GP Legend.

Mario & Luigi, Golden Sun, and Advance Wars are probably likely choices.

Don't expect Pokemon; since the whole emphasis of the Pokemon games is to trade, not being able to do so (I highly doubt Nintendo will program wireless mutliplayer into these) somewhat undermines them somewhat.

There's no chance in hell of it happening, but I'd KILL for an English version of Rhythm Tengoku (Rhythm Heaven/Paradise). I adore the DS version.

Of course, this is assuming the remaining 5 NES and 5 GBA games are first-party. I certainly hope so, as I have next to zero interest in third-partry NES and GBA games. Though I'm hoping the fact that Nintendo claims there are no current plans to sell GBA games would give third-parties no reason to let Nintendo use their games, as there's no profit margin.

Roto13

I'd happily take Rhythm Heaven in Japanese, even. It's perfectly playable. Except that one stage where the guy is saying "left right left" in Japanese is a little bit confusing. :p

18-Volt

Maybe remaining games will be from third party? Is there a confimation that they will all be from Nintendo? No?

List like these would make my day;

NES;
- Pac-man (Namco)
- Bomberman (Hudson)
- Megaman 3 (Capcom)
- Contra (Konami)
- Final Fantasy (Squaresoft)

GBA;
- Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Namco)
- Castlevania: Circle of Moon (Konami)
- Sonic Advance 3 (SEGA)
- Mega Man vs Bass (Capcom)
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Square-Enix)

Roto13

Third party games are extremely unlikely. They'd have to actually pay for those, and it's not like they're making any money from them.

elohel

guys they're playing our game, don't blow it

DEMAND EVERYTHING!

lol srsly they need us right now, buy the console, get dem games

edit: would subscription based stuff work for virtual console? are subscriptions dead and free to play is king or? could they do like a 9.99 a month per console for unlimited games, or purchase individually at whatever price?

should be 3.99 not 5.99 for games imo imo

Nix

Banned
18-Volt said:
Maybe remaining games will be from third party? Is there a confimation that they will all be from Nintendo? No?

List like these would make my day;

NES;
- Pac-man (Namco)
- Bomberman (Hudson)
- Megaman 3 (Capcom)
- Contra (Konami)
- Final Fantasy (Squaresoft)

GBA;
- Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Namco)
- Castlevania: Circle of Moon (Konami)
- Sonic Advance 3 (SEGA)
- Mega Man vs Bass (Capcom)
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Square-Enix)

Are you listening Nintendo!? This is what we want!!! We won't get it though, because of blah blah Square/Namco doesn't want to blah blah, and so it's impossible to do.

Dammit, if I could just get a Battle Network 1-5 pack, all would be good; all would be forgiven. I mean, obviously, like an above poster said, we in all probability won't be getting any Pokemon games, so BN for life!

Roto13 said:
I'd happily take Rhythm Heaven in Japanese, even. It's perfectly playable. Except that one stage where the guy is saying "left right left" in Japanese is a little bit confusing. :p
Stage I had the most trouble with was don don pan pan, followed by Rap Men (didn't notice the colored text at first).

Ugh, now I wish Nintendo would do a GBA downloadable service for everyone on the 3DS. Rhythm Tengoku would very likely see an English release!

Roto13

Why would you do that? said:
Stage I had the most trouble with was don don pan pan, followed by Rap Men (didn't notice the colored text at first).

Ugh, now I wish Nintendo would do a GBA downloadable service for everyone on the 3DS. Rhythm Tengoku would very likely see an English release!
The clapping girls game was hard just because it's hard. :p It's really strict with the timing.

I expect that they'll give us the first installments of series on each platform, not sequels (i.e. so DKC, not DKC2 or DKC3; Metroid Fusion and not Zero Mission; F-Zero: Maximum Velocity and not GP Legend, etc.). Yoshi's Island aside, since that's a sequel in name only.

They won't give us any of the Pokémon games except for Pinball R/S because those require other games for trading.

They won't give us a game that hasn't been released over here previously (so no Kuru Kuru Kururin).

I don't expect them to give us another mainline Mario platformer so that rules out Super Mario Advance. Likewise, we're getting NES Zelda and Four Swords Adventures for free so I don't expect Link to the Past.

That narrows the GBA list down to:

Advance Wars
DK: King of Swing
Donkey Kong Country
Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
Drill Dozer
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Fire Emblem
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Golden Sun
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Mario Party Advance
Mario Pinball Land
Mario Tennis Advance
Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
Polarium Advance
Wario Land 4
Yoshi Topsy-Turvy

I've bolded the ones I personally want most.

Truth101

Banned
So, for those 5 unnanounced GBA games i'd like.

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Golden Sun 1
Golden Sun 2
ALLTP
Minish Cap

But, in reality what are the chances we will see 3rd party games being given away for free, about 0 isn't. =C

Emitan

Reticent Rhino said:
I expect that they'll give us the first installments of series on each platform, not sequels (i.e. so DKC, not DKC2 or DKC3; Metroid Fusion and not Zero Mission; F-Zero: Maximum Velocity and not GP Legend, etc.). Yoshi's Island aside, since that's a sequel in name only.
LOL. I get what you're saying, but still.

Top Bottom