• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Roto13 said:
They're not going to bive out Pokemon RSE when they're next in line to be remade.

I do not like Nintendos rom dumps at all...IMO they are worthless and I pretty much will not pay the price they asking for them.

But i think a rom dump set of pokemon leading all the way to the DS line leading to a all new pokemon would be a really solid move. That I would consider buying just to marathon them all, get my collection up and roll right into a full 3ds pokemon.

Im not even a pokefan...I played/beat red, played 10 seconds of every one after that and played/beat Black

PKrockin said:
Although it's probably wishful thinking, it's entirely possible you will be able to transfer but you'll just have to wait until the system is in place and the games are actually available on the store. Like what happened with DSiWare.
And that's the thing: At this point, it does seem like pretty wishful thinking.

I just hope I can transfer my Wii Virtual Console games to the Wii U, and then hopefully be able to play them in HD resolutions without rebuying them.

Roto13

But you know how this thread/the new thread is going to be. On August 12th, every tenth post will be "Where are the NES games? What do I do to get the NES games? Why is Nintendo screwing up the NES games?"

Then September 1st will be "I got the NES games but where are the GBA games? Do I only get to pick between NES games and GBA games and I can't get both? If I email Nintendo can I switch from the NES games to the GBA games?"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For GBA I'm going to guess its going to be between these 7 games:

Advance Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Wario Land 4
Fire Emblem

Realistic worst case list IMO would include

Mario Pinball Land
Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
DK: King of Swing
Yoshi Topsy-Turvy
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Mario Party Advance

Emitan

If they give us Pokemon Mystery Dungeon I will murder someone. Especially if we don't get Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, or Mario & Luigi.

Neo Child

Banned
thepotatoman said:
Mario Pinball Land
Yoshi Topsy-Turvy
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Mario Party Advance

Let me just say to you the above games are brilliant:

Pokemon Pinball..

The rest, yeah okay I totally agree with.

I hope we don't get DKC. I love the SNES version, but the GBA port isn't that great.

Though that said, I'd much rather have DKC than certain other GBA games (Mario Party Advance, Mario Pinball, Yoshi Topsy Turvy, etc).

Emitan

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
could one be superstar saga? Im really hoping for fire emblem though.nintendo you see?
I've just started another playthrough of MLSS. I really hope it's one of the games so more people will play it.

I'm so happy with the first 5 GBA titles that I really don't care what the other 5 might be!
Same can't be said for the NES picks but Mario and Zelda are great at least.
I'm surprised Nintendo are being so generous, still feels like I'm missing something here...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
I'm so happy with the first 5 GBA titles that I really don't care what the other 5 might be!
Same can't be said for the NES picks but Mario and Zelda are great at least.
I'm surprised Nintendo are being so generous, still feels like I'm missing something here...
Did you miss the part about them being ashamed of their handheld, and offering these old games as forgiveness?

They are offering the games to keep folks from making a huge deal that they paid $250 for a $170 game system. It's pre-emptive damage control.

Yeah I'd expect for them to do something, but that expected something would've been like a carry case and download voucher for the original Mario Bros knowing Nintendo, so them giving us 20 games which are amongst the best in the history of two of their platforms is very generous imo.

Now the NES and GBA will be joining VC, they'd better ramp up the original GB releases quickly! After giving me Yoshi's Island for free, I'm hardly gonna be fiending to pay for Alleyway and similar titles

SonicMegaDrive said:
That's so strange that they would never offer Metroid Fusion or Wario Ware to the public.

Maybe some remakes or semi-remakes are in the works for several of these titles?
You're thinking of the games, I'm betting Nintendo is thinking of the *system*. I'd bet Nintendo has no plans yet to add GBA to the Virtual Console, not for a couple years at least. Once they do add GBA then yes they'll offer these games, though I seriously doubt they'll release them all at once.

I can't wait to get all these games. So 9/1 is when we are probably getting them? I haven't played many of the games listed so that's pretty cool.

thepotatoman said:
Realistic worst case list IMO would include

Mario Pinball Land
Yoshi Topsy-Turvy
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Mario Party Advance

I would kill for Pokemon Pinball as a DL title. If Nintendo was willing to be extra generous and add online leader boards, it would eat all my time.

I bet they're browsing NeoGAF for votes on what other games to throw in there.

Quick everybody lets spam Advance Wars.

But you know how this thread/the new thread is going to be.

I wouldn't argue against the topic name being:

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread - Beta NES: 9/1, GBA: 2011?

Piercedveil said:
I can't wait to get all these games. So 9/1 is when we are probably getting them? I haven't played many of the games listed so that's pretty cool.
9/1 is when we are getting the NES games. The GBA games are coming "by the end of the year".

Javier

I skipped on the vast majority on the GBA's library, so all these games will be mostly new to me.

Mario Vs. DK (Never played it)
Metroid Fusion (Never played it)
WarioWare MM Inc. (Never played it)
Yoshi's Island: SMA3 (Only played the SNES version)
Mario Kart Super Circuit (Played it, but not to completion)

Neuromancer said:
Is it just me, or do the NES graphics sort of hold up better than the GBA graphics?

My mind is colored by GBA played with an Afterburner which was neat but didn't serve the colors well. And some GBA used 3Dish tricks that help function but could be ugly compared to what was done then or years before. NES games will tend to be strong in your memory due to sharp 2D graphics coming from a CRT screen that lit a youngster up in the dark.

Sorry if this is a little off topic. If I get a bigger SD card so I can have all of these games and tons of space left, how do I transfer the stuff from my current card to the new one?

MooMoo

Piercedveil said:
Sorry if this is a little off topic. If I get a bigger SD card so I can have all of these games and tons of space left, how do I transfer the stuff from my current card to the new one?
Just copy and paste the folders over.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I can't wait to play Mario Kart. I played the shit out of it, but I lost the cartridge years ago. It was easily one of my favorite MK games, largely because it had all of the original SNES tracks. The new courses were good too.

My random guesses for the 5 remaining...

NES
-Donkey Kong
-Kid Icarus: Angel Land Story
-Wario's Woods
-Wrecking Crew
-Super Mario Bros. 2 (import)

GBA
-Advance Wars
-F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
-Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
-Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
-Kurukuru Kururin (import)

Roto13

bytesized said:
why not give us credit so we can purchase 20 games of our choice, Nintendo? Why are you like this? :(
Then they'd have to pay for every third party game anyone buys with the credit.

BY2K

Membero Americo
There's gonna be a Zelda game on the list of GBA giveaways, I'm sure, the question is: Which one? ALTTP or MC?

I want MC, really.

gba-tony-hawks-pro-skater-2-box-front.jpg

It was god awful. But I mastered the shit out of it. Bought it in eight grade two weeks before the system launched and every day waiting for the system to drop seemed like eternity.

SO happy for Metroid Fusion (one of my favorite games ever) and Mario Kart Advance. The other three announced are also all good choices.

BY2K said:
There's gonna be a Zelda game on the list of GBA giveaways, I'm sure, the question is: Which one? ALTTP or MC?

I want MC, really.
IF there is a GBA Zelda game, it has to be MC. LTTP is already on the eShop.

Top Bottom