• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

gwiz210

will52 said:
Any chance of Pokemon being one of the GBA games?
I sure hope so, but it's unlikely. With Ruby/Sapphire remakes most likely on the way, Nintendo wouldn't release the originals to 3DS VC.
FireRed/LeafGreen however might be more likely.

sphinx

the piano man
Galactic Fork said:
Weird, maybe the people you read about misunderstood. I got the press release through shot pass, then in the eshop news the message starts out "You are an Ambassador." Nothing to be uneasy about. Just assume everybody else is stupid.

Fuck, I just checked the bulletin message again and it doesn´t say " you are an ambassador" it says " make sure you get your games with the ambassador program!"...

(this is a translation from the German text by the way, Euro-land here... maybe that plays a part as well)

Tyeforce

will52 said:
Any chance of Pokemon being one of the GBA games?
Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire, maybe, but I doubt we'll get any main series Pokémon game. Besides, if they only gave us one version, you wouldn't be able to complete the game.

gwiz210 said:
I sure hope so, but it's unlikely. With Ruby/Sapphire remakes most likely on the way, Nintendo wouldn't release the originals to 3DS VC.
Leaf Green would be greeeat. Although it was never the same without a Missingno on my team.

sphinx said:
the first bulletin is a copy/paste text of the press article. It even says "You should make sure to login to the Eshop..." while already being logged in the store.

I have read around that some people have gotten messages (out of the shop) with confirmation that their 3DSs are indeed part of the ambassador program.

That makes me feel uneasy...
This was the message I got when going to the eShop news section:

8i6gd.jpg

Roto13

I'll bet money that that notice doesn't actually check your system to know for sure if you are an ambassador. I'll bet it just assumes that everyone who can see it is an ambassador, because you have to access the shop to see it and that's all you have to do to become an Ambassador. :p

Anth0ny

gwiz210 said:

Who's to say they won't remake FireRed/LeafGreen again?

maeda

Since we'll be getting GBA port of Yoshi's Island and I've never played it, how does it compare to the original, especially in terms of controls. SMW on GBA felt twitchy and floaty.

qq more

maeda said:
Since we'll be getting GBA port of Yoshi's Island and I've never played it, how does it compare to the original, especially in terms of controls. SMW on GBA felt twitchy and floaty.
It feels the same. And I do believe there's extra levels. My major complaint about the port is the GBA limitations (shit audio and resolution)

maeda

qq more said:
It feels the same. And I do believe there's extra levels. My major complaint about the port is the GBA limitations (shit audio and resolution)
Did they screw up the Athletics and Underground themes?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
This was the message I got when going to the eShop news section:

http://i.imgur.com/8i6gd.jpg[img][/quote]
If you turn on notifications, you should get something via spotpass.

fernoca

firehawk12 said:
If you turn on notifications, you should get something via spotpass.
I think that was part of what he said earlier:
Everyone's supposed to receive a message through Spotpass (generic message about the program basically as a reminder).
By accesing the eShop News, you get the message from that pic (You are an amabassador...); apparently a confirmation for anyone the went to the eShop.

Someone earlier said something about not having that message on the News section; so who knows. Maybe there's a waiting period.

Electivirus said:
I honestly don't hear a difference.
They replaced Yoshi's awesome zipper sounds with bullshit fucking Yoshi's Story grunts and yelps.

Yoshi's Island Advance would be the definitive version of the game thanks to the extra levels if it wasn't for those awful, awful, awful sounds. Why did they have to fucking do that.

Anth0ny

WordAssassin said:
They replaced Yoshi's awesome zipper sounds with bullshit fucking Yoshi's Story grunts and yelps.

Yoshi's Island Advance would be the definitive version of the game thanks to the extra levels if it wasn't for those awful, awful, awful sounds. Why did they have to fucking do that.

It's not that bad.

Maybe I'm just used to it from Smash Bros.

MoxManiac

is there any way for me to access the eshop store without updating? Just got a 3DS. Trying to update, it took 40 mins for the bar to fill up about 15% then gave an error and made me start over. I only have until fucking thursday night!

MoxManiac said:
is there any way for me to access the eshop store without updating? Just got a 3DS. Trying to update, it took 40 mins for the bar to fill up about 15% then gave an error and made me start over. I only have until fucking thursday night!

No, updates are mandatory. Got any temp wi-fi you can mooch off of?

WordAssassin said:

People get angry over the strangest things.

Yagharek

I updated mine two days ago, bought xevious and links awakening. Got the spot pass announcement notice, but no ambassador confirmation message as yet in the news section. This is on an Australian system.

The store updates next on the 11th here, going by the Thursday pattern, so I expect my notification to turn up then. I hope.

Clunker

PounchEnvy said:
You could always go to McDonalds or Best Buy.
McDonald's might have some kind of browser authentication. I know that Starbucks and Barnes &Noble do, and generally Dunkin Donuts doesn't (I do a lot of impromptu war driving with my iPhone sans service).

Clunker said:
McDonald's might have some kind of browser authentication. I know that Starbucks and Barnes &Noble do, and generally Dunkin Donuts doesn't (I do a lot of impromptu war driving with my iPhone sans service).

I'm sure that McDonald's requires browser authentication, yes.

DarkWish

Most Best Buy stores have that Nintendo Zone which will automatically be added to your Home menu on the 3DS and will automatically connect you to the internet, so you can update your 3DS there.

watershed

Banned
Clunker said:
If its in the US starbucks has a partnership with Nintendo to allow automatic internet connection at all or most of its locations for spotpass updates and such.

Every local coffee shop or cafe in my area has unencrypted wi-fi ripe for the taking. Once my internet was out for a month so I brought my laptop there and certified my Steam games for offline play. Good times.

MoxManiac

hardcastle_mccormick said:
No, updates are mandatory. Got any temp wi-fi you can mooch off of?

I'm at my Dad's house tonight and his internet is uber shit DSL. I'm thinking this may be the issue. I'm working all day tommorrow and have a stupid company lobster bake after work so i won't have much time when I get home tommorrow to update anything. I have what, until thursday night?

MoxManiac said:
I'm at my Dad's house tonight and his internet is uber shit DSL. I'm thinking this may be the issue. I'm working all day tommorrow and have a stupid company lobster bake after work so i won't have much time when I get home tommorrow to update anything. I have what, until thursday night?

From Nintendo:

"uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11."

(Lazy way of saying yes)

On the plus side, it tends to be a very fast, easy ordeal once you're on internet that doesn't suck. I got my 3DS last week and updating took all of three minutes.

jackdoe

MoxManiac said:
When you couple uber-shit DSL, with an uber-shit download server from Nintendo you'll get issues. I have Fios and the update speed was ridiculous.

On the plus side, it tends to be a very fast, easy ordeal once you're on internet that doesn't suck. I got my 3DS last week and updating took all of three minutes.
Lucky bastard. Took me twenty minutes.

MoxManiac

Okay, I poked around the help page and used a manual DNS for the 3DS and turned off the firewall temporarily in my dad's router and the update is working and going faster then before. crossing fingers!

Worst case if I can't get it done here or at home i'll swing by a mcdonalds or best buy to do the update.

jackdoe said:
Lucky bastard. Took me twenty minutes.

Alone in the house with 15 mbps wi-fi might make a difference. I might have underestimated the importance of that. Ooops.

It doesn't help that there was a minor update released today. Nintendo's servers are probably hammered, tripping balls and mumbling something about infinite space.

Anyone have any tips for finding Wifi that can actually be used to update the system to add store? I have none at home and stopped at several good joints with free Wifi and I couldn't update from any of them. Also tried Best Buy but no luck....and no one I know (just moved) has wifi -.-

A Twisty Fluken said:
People get angry over the strangest things.
Well when one considers Yoshi's Island to be the pinnacle of 2D platforming, and they go and ruin it with those obnoxious grunts, yeah, gonna get mad.

Yagharek

06nbarnhill said:
Anyone have any tips for finding Wifi that can actually be used to update the system to add store? I have none at home and stopped at several good joints with free Wifi and I couldn't update from any of them. Also tried Best Buy but no luck....and no one I know (just moved) has wifi -.-

Macbooks can share ethernet connection via their Airport. That's how I updated mine, didn't know you could til Monday. If you know someone with a MBP, ask them to help. Go to system preferences, internet and wireless, sharing, select internet sharing to be on via Airport, then set up your 3DS.

RandomVince said:
Macbooks can share ethernet connection via their Airport. That's how I updated mine, didn't know you could til Monday. If you know someone with a MBP, ask them to help. Go to system preferences, internet and wireless, sharing, select internet sharing to be on via Airport, then set up your 3DS.

Don't think I know anyone.......I still don't get why I can't update my system on free Wifi at stores.....

Clunker

If all else fails, you can probably buy a router to give yourself wifi and then return it as long as it's within the store's return window.

06nbarnhill said:
Don't think I know anyone.......I still don't get why I can't update my system on free Wifi at stores.....

A lot of those stores will force you to open up your internet browser and agree to a legal agreement of some sort, and you can't connect to anything else before that. Devices like 3DS' tend not to support options such as these. They're extremely common though, so if it doesn't work you can usually assume fairly freely that they're using such a system.

A lot of those stores will force you to open up your internet browser and agree to a legal agreement of some sort, and you can't connect to anything else before that. Devices like 3DS' tend not to support options such as these. They're extremely common though, so if it doesn't work you can usually assume fairly freely that they're using such a system.

Lame. I may just drive around a residential area until I find a free signal.........

If I woulda known it would be such a pain I would have waited till after price drop to buy....but now I want my games

Roto13

You know, my DSi used to work with the Starbucks internet connection, but my 3DS didn't last time I checked. That was before the browser update, so maybe that's changed.

maeda said:

Controls are fine, but there are some problems with the port. In addition to the obvious sound downgrade and brightened up graphics that are characteristics of most SNES to GBA ports, there are some missing special effects (the famous Kamek magic effect on bosses is gone and the "touch fuzzy get dizzy" effect was botched horribly) and there's some slowdown in a few places.

Also the hidden multiplayer mode for the minigames is gone now (just single player)

The extra levels are really good though. Really well designed and just as good as the ones found in the main game.

As for the Yoshi voice added to the game, I'm fine with it. I found the Mario voices in SMA 1 and 2 to be annoying and the young OoT link voice in ALTTP GBA was ear piercingly horrible (YA, YA, YA, YA!!!), but Yoshi in SMA 3 is perfectly fine (same voices as in Yoshi's Story)

Javier

For those still having trouble finding an Internet connection, if you know someone with an iPhone 4, those can also share Internet. I've tried it with my 3DS and it works, even downloaded a couple of eShop games with that method.

I'm guessing the iPad works as well.

tokra2003

Banned
From nintendo twitter:

It’s Metroid's 25th anniversary! Nintendo #3DS Ambassadors, connect to the Nintendo eShop by 11:59pm ET on 8/11 to get Metroid Fusion.

GameE

tokra2003 said:
From nintendo twitter:

It’s Metroid's 25th anniversary! Nintendo #3DS Ambassadors, connect to the Nintendo eShop by 11:59pm ET on 8/11 to get Metroid Fusion.

Nothing new

Mafro

tokra2003 said:
From nintendo twitter:

And this will probably be their full extend of celebration Metroid's 25th.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
That tweet is complete bullshit. Makes it seem like you get it if you register your 3DS by then you'll get it right away on the the 11th.

omgkitty

tokra2003 said:
From nintendo twitter:

How about they just release Super Metroid on 3DS VC for Metroid's 25th anniversary...I am sure everyone would be happy with that.

Top Bottom