• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

ShockingAlberto said:
Didn't they already say that the Ambassadors will get the updated versions that show up on the store later?

That's the complete, updated, for-sale Virtual Console versions. A Human Becoming wants hypothetical 3D Classics versions.

Varna

So how accounts for this thing work? I'm thinking about buying a used 3DS before the deadline to get access to these games. Are they tied the specific device or an account you create (making getting used one a bad idea)?

Varna said:
So how accounts for this thing work? I'm thinking about buying a used 3DS before the deadline to get access to these games. Are they tied the specific device or an account you create (making getting used one a bad idea)?
They're tied to that specific 3DS that you buy (which, in this case, actually makes some sense as it stops people from going out, buying a 3DS, connecting to qualify for the free games, immediately returning the 3DS afterwards and then waiting another year or two for another price drop or revision or something before they actually buy it for real and download the games).

Varna

ShironRedshift said:
They're tied to that specific 3DS that you buy (which, in this case, actually makes some sense as it stops people from going out, buying a 3DS, connecting to qualify for the free games, immediately returning the 3DS afterwards and then waiting another year or two for another price drop or revision or something before they actually buy it for real and download the games).

Sweet. So just so I understand. Since you can't really access the free games I would be fine buying a used one?

Varna said:
Sweet. So just so I understand. Since you can't really access the free games I would be fine buying a used one?

That's correct. So long as you make sure said used one has already been to the eShop at least once.

Brazil said:
I had a point.

And I ain't even mad.

You still accused people of "wetting" themselves. You're not exactly harboring good faith from them by doing that, so you should be fully prepared to take the responses that you got. This is from someone who made more money buying early - discounting the free games - than he would have by buying after the drop.

fernoca

idwl said:
when we redownload the 'updated' versions. Our save files will be intact?
Guess so. Nothing to contradict that at the moment, but neither confirmation. Guess we'll know for sure when the time comes.

Provider said:
it's Nintendo, of course you'll have to start your game all over.
XD

idwl

fernoca said:
Guess so. Nothing to contradict that at the moment, but neither confirmation. Guess we'll know for sure when the time comes.

XD
I hope so. I never finished Wind Waker because I played it on my Wii and didn't have a GC memory card to save it on. I played about 30 hours ( I like to take my time ) and had the Wii on constantly for a week , when my brother turned it off. I almost committed a crime that day. Just the thought of repeating everything drives me insane.

A Human Becoming said:
Yeah, if they're made. If they're not, I don't care.

Actually, given the NES games announced thus far outside of MAYBE Legend of Zelda I don't see any of those getting 3D versions, and even Zelda seems extremely unlikely. SMB1, Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, and DK Jr. really don't have anything at all going on in the background, so I'm honestly not sure what they'd gain by 3Ding it. All four of the announced 3D classics had a lot busier source material to work with.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
A Twisty Fluken said:
Actually, given the NES games announced thus far outside of MAYBE Legend of Zelda I don't see any of those getting 3D versions, and even Zelda seems extremely unlikely. SMB1, Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, and DK Jr. really don't have anything at all going on in the background, so I'm honestly not sure what they'd gain by 3Ding it. All four of the announced 3D classics had a lot busier source material to work with.
Urban Champion isn't anything special either though.

dallow_bg said:
Urban Champion isn't anything special either though.
I'm not a huge fan of the game, but it has quite a few layers, with the fighters, the building behind them, the city behind that (and still in front of the sky) and the cop car in front of everything. I can see where it will gain from being 3Dified.

idwl said:
when we redownload the 'updated' versions. Our save files will be intact?
I imagine they should. Changes to do with adding a manual or changing scaling or whatever shouldn't affect the save file of 5-30 year old games. As long as the updated versions are really updated versions and have the same software identifier or whatever so it's looking for the same save file.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
They showed the original Zelda in 3D during E3 last year, so I'm pretty sure we'll get that as a 3D Classic eventually. Excitebike, TwinBee, Urban Champion and Xevious were all there.

GeekyDad

Can't help but think of all the great third-party NES games that would be sweet as part of this deal. The Capcom library, alone, has some nice nibbly dibblies.

Brazil said:
They showed the original Zelda in 3D during E3 last year, so I'm pretty sure we'll get that as a 3D Classic eventually. Excitebike, TwinBee, Urban Champion and Xevious were all there.
They showed like 15+ games in 3D at E3 2010 (Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Megaman 2, Yoshi's Island, Kid Icarus, etc). We're not getting all of them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
lunchwithyuzo said:
They showed like 15+ games in 3D at E3 2010 (Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Megaman 2, Yoshi's Island, Kid Icarus, etc). We're not getting all of them.
Hm... Why not?

They're been releasing them reasonably quickly in Japan. I can absolutely see them all coming out eventually. I mean - why would they release something like Urban Champion instead of Kirby's Adventure?

Roto13

It's a lot more work to remake a game like Yoshi's Island, with its tons of levels, than Urban Champion. They might not realistically be able to remake certain games and sell them at the standard 3D Classics price.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Didn't they show Tennis? That was cancelled.
I wouldn't expect them all.

They were struggling with Xevious, I can't imagine how hard SNES titles would be.

mclem

lunchwithyuzo said:

That's misleading; they didn't show games, they showed dioramas (animated? Not sure) in the style of the game to convey the sort of ways 3D could enhance existing games. There's no guarantee that's what will actually come out.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Brazil said:
Hm... Why not?

They're been releasing them reasonably quickly in Japan. I can absolutely see them all coming out eventually. I mean - why would they release something like Urban Champion instead of Kirby's Adventure?

The six initial pics were games that have sentimental value with the devs, IIRC.

CrankyKong said:
So will ALL of the 20 games be released on the 12th?
or is it just the ones they have announced so far

They're not releasing anything on the 12th - the NES games come at the beginning of September, the GBA games come at some unspecified date before the end of the year.

sphinx

the piano man
so, I got my 3DS today, updated the system, got the Eshop App and went there and downloaded a video.

There is also a small video with the press release of the ambassador programm, I already clicked that and read the content.

I pressed home and was somehow expecting a message stating I am in the ambassador program but so far, no message there.

what else can I do to make sure I am in the program??

Brazil said:
Hm... Why not?

Official answer from Iwata Asks -

Iwata:
How did you choose those titles? The balance between how good they look in 3D and how hard they will be to make is important.
Nakano:
That's right. And if you don't possess a certain degree of familiarity with the original game, you won't sense the extent of change to the 3D version, so you have to have both. Some titles were minor but looked good in 3D, while others were incredibly major games but didn't work out well, so we chose those that presented the best of both worlds.

MrMan2k3

Roto13 said:
Four Swords? No, which is pretty dumb.

Has this been confirmed? I didn't think we even knew if it would be an exact copy of the GBA version, a port (which could include online as an additional option), or a completely new version of the game. Not that I expect online, but I haven't heard anything the would definitely preclude it.

dallow_bg said:
Didn't they show Tennis? That was cancelled.
I wouldn't expect them all.

They were struggling with Xevious, I can't imagine how hard SNES titles would be.

Some Super NES games like SMW and DKC would look great with minimal effort, as they're heavy on 2D layered and parallax scrolling. Games like Mario Kart and F-Zero that use lots of Mode 7 might produce mixed results and take more effort to look good.

@MUWANdo

Banned
MrMan2k3 said:
Has this been confirmed? I didn't think we even knew if it would be an exact copy of the GBA version, a port (which could include online as an additional option), or a completely new version of the game. Not that I expect online, but I haven't heard anything the would definitely preclude it.

Yeah, Aonuma confirmed it was local-only not too long ago, can't remember where.

Cheesemeister said:
Some Super NES games like SMW and DKC would look great with minimal effort, as they're heavy on 2D layered and parallax scrolling. Games like Mario Kart and F-Zero that use lots of Mode 7 might produce mixed results and take more effort to look good.
I don't think anything would really be minimal effort. When 3D classics were first announced I thought it would be basically layered 2D, but they're really total 3D remakes made to keep the retro style of the old games.

urbanchampion-5.png
to
3dc-urban-champion.png

Anything like a Super Mario World or a Donkey Kong Country would have a lot more objects to recreate than the limited areas and characters necessary for an Excitebike or Urban Champion.

mclem said:
That's misleading; they didn't show games, they showed dioramas (animated? Not sure) in the style of the game to convey the sort of ways 3D could enhance existing games. There's no guarantee that's what will actually come out.
No, they showed these games actually running, but not playable. They were all collected together in the "Classics in 3D" demo. I don't think they were playable but Urban Champion, Twinbee and Excitebike were all part of it too. Reggie also said these games would be available for purchase on 3DS at the same E3, but it wasn't clairified how then (digital, retail, collection, etc).

KevinCow

Banned
Wait, it's 10 NES and 10 GBA, 20 total? Damn. I thought it was 20 each for some reason.

One of the GBA games should be Drill Dozer because it's awesome and nobody played it.

Masked Man

I said wow
Question for someone who might know: I own a Japanese 3DS, but I'm currently in the US. I have made two downloads and added a ¥500 credit to my account since the Ambassador Program announcement was made, but I have yet to receive confirmation of my acceptance into the program. With the deadline fast approaching, I'm worried that my account will not be verified in time, possibly because I'm using it in a different region (even though the eShop works perfectly fine...). Is anyone else still waiting for a message to pop up on their 3DS, or am I just being overly anxious?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't think anything would really be minimal effort. When 3D classics were first announced I thought it would be basically layered 2D, but they're really total 3D remakes made to keep the retro style of the old games.

urbanchampion-5.png
to
3dc-urban-champion.png

Anything like a Super Mario World or a Donkey Kong Country would have a lot more objects to recreate than the limited areas and characters necessary for an Excitebike or Urban Champion.
Whoa, is that really the 3D version?
Yeah, this is way more work than I had imagined.
Xevious and Excitebike more or less have the same look as the 2D version, but this one beyond that.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Masked Man said:
Question for someone who might know: I own a Japanese 3DS, but I'm currently in the US. I have made two downloads and added a ¥500 credit to my account since the Ambassador Program announcement was made, but I have yet to receive confirmation of my acceptance into the program. With the deadline fast approaching, I'm worried that my account will not be verified in time, possibly because I'm using it in a different region (even though the eShop works perfectly fine...). Is anyone else still waiting for a message to pop up on their 3DS, or am I just being overly anxious?

I don't think you necessarily need to get any kind of confirmation; I know I haven't seen anything about the ambassador program while using my 3DS and I've browsed the eshop a few times in the past couple of weeks, most recently a few days ago. As long as your device connected to the eshop by the deadline, the device itself should be flagged as pre-price drop and therefore eligible for the downloads.

Masked Man said:
When you log into the eShop, go into the news section. The first bulletin should be the one telling you that you're now a 3DS Ambassador. I think the Spotpass message only gives you details of the program, not confirmation of you becoming a part of it.

sphinx

the piano man
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
When you log into the eShop, go into the news section. The first bulletin should be the one telling you that you're now a 3DS Ambassador. I think the Spotpass message only gives you details of the program, not confirmation of you becoming a part of it.

the first bulletin is a copy/paste text of the press article. It even says "You should make sure to login to the Eshop..." while already being logged in the store.

I have read around that some people have gotten messages (out of the shop) with confirmation that their 3DSs are indeed part of the ambassador program.

That makes me feel uneasy...

dallow_bg said:
Whoa, is that really the 3D version?
Yeah, this is way more work than I had imagined.
Xevious and Excitebike more or less have the same look as the 2D version, but this one beyond that.
Urban Champion would probably look a lot more similar if the camera angle wasn't off to the side like that to show off the 3D better in a 2D shot. Excitebike too looks very similar, but still everything is now polygonal.

This is especially apparent when zooming back as much as it allows, as in this shot.
excitebike.gif
to
Excitebike-3D-3.jpg

sphinx said:
I have read around that some people have gotten messages (out of the shop) with confirmation that their 3DSs are indeed part of the ambassador program.

I wouldn't worry about it. SpotPass is just stupid like that sometimes. Like it notifying me of a new firmware a week after I'd updated to it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
sphinx said:
the first bulletin is a copy/paste text of the press article. It even says "You should make sure to login to the Eshop..." while already being logged in the store.

Weird, maybe the people you read about misunderstood. I got the press release through shot pass, then in the eshop news the message starts out "You are an Ambassador." Nothing to be uneasy about. Just assume everybody else is stupid.

Top Bottom