• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Suzzopher

omgkitty said:
How about they just release Super Metroid on 3DS VC for Metroid's 25th anniversary...I am sure everyone would be happy with that.

I'm sure we'd all pay for it as a 3D Classic too.

We won't getting Metroid Fusion tomorrow or anything either :(

omgkitty

Suzzopher said:
I'm sure we'd all pay for it as a 3D Classic too.

We won't getting Metroid Fusion tomorrow or anything either :(

You never know! (You will sure as hell know when you don't get it until December though!)

An old complaint by now, but I wish we were getting the snes versions of some of these games. No point in offering the inferior, but its nintendo so...

As long as I get fusion, I don't care about anything else honestly.

omgkitty

I would love to just have SNES games in general. Who knows if it will actually happen though. Part of me says yes, but then part of me also says no.

AndyMoogle said:
SNES games would probably look weird on the 3DS screen since the 3DS doesn't have a high enough resolution for them.
WTF are you talking about? SNES games are 256x224, same as NES. Except like 2 which run in high res mode.

nincompoop said:
WTF are you talking about? SNES games are 256x224, same as NES. Except like 2 which run in high res mode.
For some reason I thought all SNES games had twice the resolution of that, meaning 512x448. Not sure why I thought that, but whatever. They would look perfectly fine then.

Morts

I really hope that Yoshi's Island is the only Mario Advance game in the 10 GBA games, mostly because I'd rather buy those as 3D classics. I'll also be pleasantly surprised if those show up before December.

I also have yet to see anyone musing whether the "updated" NES games will be transferable back and forth with the Wii (or at the very least Wii U). I'm sure that they won't be, but I look forward to the (deserved) shit-storm.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Sorry but could someone just catch me up on the free games situation please?

I bought my 3DS at launch and have logged into the store but not for a few months, am i still eligible for the free games?

Gravijah

Goron2000 said:
Sorry but could someone just catch me up on the free games situation please?

I bought my 3DS at launch and have logged into the store but not for a few months, am i still eligible for the free games?

You should be fine, you could log in now if you have the chance though, to be sure.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Gravijah said:
You should be fine, you could log in now if you have the chance though, to be sure.
Thanks. Yeah, i probably will do that. I lent it to my cousin who lives the other side of the city and my cars having work done, so it's an hour and a half bus ride there and then i have to bring it back but y'know...Warioware...on 3DS.

Gravijah

Goron2000 said:
Thanks. Yeah, i probably will do that. I lent it to my cousin who lives the other side of the city and my cars having work done, so it's an hour and a half bus ride there and then i have to bring it back but y'know...Warioware...on 3DS.

Haha, call him up and tell him to do it for you. I think you have until... August 11th 11:59 EST for the US at least.

I have to say, though I felt slighted by the price drop initially, I'm pretty pleased now. Price drop means more people can buy a 3DS, and that equals more people to play with. (Or StreetPass with. That's all I care about these days)

And on top of that, a lot of these games are ones that I wouldn't buy otherwise. Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, the original Legend of Zelda... Games that I passed by initially, and am now being given for free (technically).

GeekyDad

Tackhead #9 said:
I have to say, though I felt slighted by the price drop initially, I'm pretty pleased now. Price drop means more people can buy a 3DS, and that equals more people to play with. (Or StreetPass with. That's all I care about these days)

And on top of that, a lot of these games are ones that I wouldn't buy otherwise. Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, the original Legend of Zelda... Games that I passed by initially, and am now being given for free (technically).

For me, the games are gravy. My satisfaction about the price drop comes from the hope that publishers will now have renewed confidence in the system. They seemed to quickly start hedging their resources toward the system. Hopefully, this helps get those guys by on board in full force.

Neifirst

Well, even after posting in the thread about why I was going to pass on getting a 3DS, I just couldn't help myself when I went to Walmart this morning to get some other items. $170 is a reasonable price and I haven't owned a regular DS for four or five years now anyway. I have a feeling the other 10 free games might be 3rd party, otherwise Nintendo could have just announced all of them at once. The original NES Zelda and GBA Mario Kart Super Circuit are enough for me anyway though!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Roto13 said:
Today is the last day to "register."

Was just thinking about that, as a UK resident if I buy a 3DS today and go online with it I can be an ambassador correct?

Just hunting around now for a cheap deal in my local area.

omgkitty said:
I would love to just have SNES games in general. Who knows if it will actually happen though. Part of me says yes, but then part of me also says no.
I'd love to see the complete Wii Virtual Console on 3DS. SNES generation is perfect for todays handhelds. <3

Roto13

I'm still holding on to the tiniest sliver of hope that NES Virtual Console games will be cross comaptible with Wii and 3DS even though I know there's about a 0.00001% chance of it actually happening.

Jackano

Roto13 said:
I'm still holding on to the tiniest sliver of hope that NES Virtual Console games will be cross comaptible with Wii and 3DS even though I know there's about a 0.00001% chance of it actually happening.
Same here; Always the same old Nintendo.

They keep doing promises with a super online incoming and when it comes to tiny things that really matters like, why the frak the 3DS doesn't have the same virtuals consoles and why my purchases aren't account related, no one is responding.
It's not like the 3DS is not powerfull enought to handle a N64 emulator (see the remakes?) or my Club Nintendo account not associated with my VC purchases, neither with my Wii and my 3DS.

Jackano said:
It's not like the 3DS is not powerfull enought to handle a N64 emulator (see the remakes?) or my Club Nintendo account not associated with my VC purchases, neither with my Wii and my 3DS.
Uhh... N64 ports/remakes and emulators are in completely different levels in terms of system resources used.

Well I just got off the phone with my local GS and was told the ambassador program has been extended. Don't know if he was trying to sell me cause starting tomorrow at GS you can get a 3DS for $99 by trading in a dsi and $119 by trading in a ds lite.

omgkitty

darkjedi187 said:
Well I just got off the phone with my local GS and was told the ambassador program has been extended. Don't know if he was trying to sell me cause starting tomorrow at GS you can get a 3DS for $99 by trading in a dsi and $119 by trading in a ds lite.

Don't believe him at all. No way in hell Nintendo would do that. It's some idiot trying to get you to come in a buy something. GUARANTEED.

omgkitty said:
Don't believe him at all. No way in hell Nintendo would do that. It's some idiot trying to get you to come in a buy something. GUARANTEED.

Thats what I told him. he gave me some crap about the global price change. I told him all the local stores already changed their price.

gotee12

darkjedi187 said:
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that since Nintendo hasn't officially announced an extension (at least no official announcements I've seen).

Magnus

So literally logging into the store, seeing the scrollable horizontal menu (with the hilarious category names) and not actually doing anything there....is enough to activate me as an ambassador?

Awesome.

Merovin

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
This was the message I got when going to the eShop news section:

8i6gd.jpg

Why don't I have this message? :(

Apparently you have to go onto the eShop and check out recent news to see the message. Also some people say this may take a couple of days to show up.

Jackano

The 3DS ambassadors programm haven't been "extended", but yes, there is a news today about that.

In fact, for people who currently are in vacation, and can't connect the eshop before this night, the Nintendo customer service will receive their demands for being an ambassador. I presume you will need to give a proof of actually having a 3DS before today and your club Nintendo account and they will proceed your ambassador "membership" manually.

Starwolf_UK said:
Apparently you have to go onto the eShop and check out recent news to see the message. Also some people say this may take a couple of days to show up.
I have entered about a dozen times in the eShop since I bought 3DS. I downloaded Excitebike 3D, the videos from E3 and some other things. I assume that I'm an ambassador, but I'm kinda worried because I have no such message in the news section (and I checked again yesterday) :p

MicH

I got that message as a "Spotpass message" (the same place where streetpasses are recorded). Same message as above.

MicH said:
I got that message as a "Spotpass message" (the same place where streetpasses are recorded). Same message as above.

Are you in the US? I haven't received any spotpass message about it, only the one in the eShop.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. Seems I did get one and just never noticed.

well I broke down and bought the last black one at my local walmart. I hope I'm not disappointing. Now I just have to sell my old ds lite and psp 3000

Was this posted?

NOE said:
Features of the Virtual Console NES titles (priority delivery version)

* An electronic manual explaining game controls will be included.
* The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will include a full electronic manual.
* Alternating multiplayer modes are supported in some titles, but simultaneous multiplayer modes are not.
* The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will also support versus play.
* Does not include the “Restore Point” function (which allows you to create and load restore points at any time while gameplay) usually included in the Virtual Console Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.
* However, it will include the “VC Suspend” function (which allows you to save the game when you suspend play by pressing the HOME Button). The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will support the Restore Points function.
* You will be able to “Transfer to another Nintendo 3DS” with the “System Transfer” function that will be provided in future system updates.
* *Official versions of the games will be launched later for a fee, but Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to upgrade from the priority delivery version to the official version free of charge.

Features of the Virtual Console Game Boy Advance titles

* Manuals will be available.
* Wireless functions and peripheral devices are not supported.
* When you press the HOME Button, a simple menu is displayed, and you won’t be able to return directly to the HOME Menu.
* Neither the “Restore Point” function nor the “VC Suspend” functions are supported.
* If you’re playing a game that includes a save function, you can select Save, and your data will be saved when you’ve finished playing the Game Boy Advance game.
* During gameplay, the Nintendo 3DS system will not enter Sleep Mode even if you close it.
* SpotPass and StreetPass will not function during gameplay.
* You will be able to “Transfer to another Nintendo 3DS” with the “System Transfer” function that will be provided in future system updates.
* *Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on Nintendo 3DS in the future.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/systems/nintendo_3ds_ambassador_programme_44250.html

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Was this posted?

Hmmm, I'm not sure, but if it's true about being able to transfer that's great. I don't want to have to a 3ds just for those 20 games, and then another one for when I want a new color or whatever.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
No Home access in-game, no restore points, and no suspend function for GBA titles?

Talk about half-assed.

Edit: NO SLEEP? Holy shit. Where's the :lol: gif?

I'm guessing these are also "priority delivery" versions, but Nintendo won't reveal that because they "have no plans to release them" to the general public yet.

Kintaco

I keep flip flopping on this. I don't need a 3DS, but it's tempting at $169 with the 20 games. I only wished that they would have the full list announced. So far from the list I only want like 3 games. :\ We'll see how my will power holds up.

donny2112

NOE said:
Features of the Virtual Console Game Boy Advance titles

Sweet! :D

So pathetic that there is still no account to have the games linked to. So I have to buy a new 3DS, transfer said game to new 3DS and then sell/trade in old 3DS. Ugh Nintendo, inexcusable.

Top Bottom