• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

tengiants said:
I'd be happy if it was something new. But they are punishing early adopters by only giving out rereleases. I know this is going to affect their club nintendo surveys that's for sure!!!

I personally wasn't expecting to hit platinum this year. Now I think I will. Thanks Nintendo!

Clunker

Linkzg said:
That's assuming you planned on getting those games in the first place. Even if it seems like a good value, if you didn't actually want those games, it's kinda worthless.

It's not like Apple giving out an $100 rebate to early adopters.

But it's an easy and effective way to make consumers feel like they weren't burned that badly. Because right now, as a 3DS launch day buyer, I'm feeling like I need to reconsider getting the Wii U at launch. Unless the price is right and there is actual software to play, that is.
I'm trying to imagine an alternate universe where Apple decided to give away $200 in iTunes credit, but only in the form of 200 preselected songs with no choice in the matter. :p

Ultima_5

Also, What will this do to ds lite, dsi, and dsxl prices? I've been wanting to get one of those blue dsi xl's for awhile >_>

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It seems some of you don't know what kind of guy Docpan is. Maybe you should click on his tag and see for yourself. That's just one example of what this guy is.

Nairume

Banned
So, twenty free games that easily add up to a value of more than the price drop to anybody who purchased early, and people are still whining for more or for those games to be exclusive to them and them only? You whiners need to get over yourselves.

DungeonO

Ultima_5 said:
Also, What will this do to ds lite, dsi, and dsxl prices? I've been wanting to get one of those blue dsi xl's for awhile >_>

I think the core point of this is to get you to buy a 3DS over the old ones. I doubt their prices will change.

lupinko

Thank you based 3DS launch failure/early woes and SCEI pimpin' of PSVita.

More free 3DS games! :D

I still have yet to actually buy any 3DS games. lol

Somnid

Linkzg said:
That's assuming you planned on getting those games in the first place. Even if it seems like a good value, if you didn't actually want those games, it's kinda worthless.

But even if you weren't planning on buying them but still wind up playing them it is an added value and an exclusive one at that. You could look at it monetarily or content-wise and either way you'd be hard pressed to say early adopters got a raw deal.

Haint

Truth101 said:
How about... Why buy the 3DS if you are going to bitch and whine when it gets a price-drop.

10 NES + 10 GBA games for FREE

The issue is that it's 4 months, and damn near $100. No one could have realistically foresaw something like this. I think most people were half expecting $199 this Fall/Holiday, and I doubt that would have miffed too many people. Some free throw away eShop content would have been fine in that situation. The problem here is the ridiculously short time frame and significance of the drop. A $90 voucher for any first party 2011 title, or a couple free 3DS games would have been a much better course to take.

Truth101

Banned
Reallink said:
The issue is that it's 4 months, and damn near $100. No one could have realistically foresaw something like this. I think most people were half expecting $199 this Fall/Holiday, and I doubt that would have miffed too many people. Some free throw away eShop content would have been fine in that situation. The problem here is the ridiculously short time frame and significance of the drop. A $90 voucher for any first party 2011 title, or a couple free 3DS games would have been a much better course to take.

What does it matter if the price dropped today or 6 months from now. It wouldn't change the fact that you purchased it at a higher price, it wouldn't mean you are out any more money. It means absolutely nothing at all.

People are miffed that they decided to buy the system at $250 and then it had a drastic price-drop. So, it's easy to put the blame on Nintendo to make yourselves feel better.

FoneBone

Re: the GBA complaining - bear in mind that "no plans" tends to be PR-speak for "we're not ready to announce anything" (read: sometime in 2012, in all likelihood).

Oh wow, just saw this thread and getting these free games is great news for us early adopters. However, I do have a question. Is this confirmed for US 3DS owners as well? I saw mention from Japan and the UK about this, but didn't notice a US statement yet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BentMyWookiee said:
Oh wow, just saw this thread and getting these free games is great news for us early adopters. However, I do have a question. Is this confirmed for US 3DS owners as well? I saw mention from Japan and the UK about this, but didn't notice a US statement yet.

yes. confirmed for us.

Haint

Truth101 said:
What does it matter if the price dropped today or 6 months from now. It wouldn't change the fact that you purchased it at a higher price, it wouldn't mean you are out any more money. It means absolutely nothing at all.

It's about perceived value. People like to feel they're getting their money's worth (value) out of a purchase, and $100 for 4 months is not a value by anyone's metric.

Truth101

Banned
BentMyWookiee said:

It is

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

Reallink said:
It's about perceived value. People like to feel they're getting their money's worth (value) out of a purchase, and $100 for 4 months is not a value by anyone's metric.

It still changes absolutely nothing. That is a fact.

Well, this is certainly more than I was expecting. I was expecting nothing.

That said, there still isn't enough there for me to buy a 3DS, even at the reduced price. Hopefully there will be soon.

Ulairi

Banned
Reallink said:

But if you purchased it at $250 you had to find it worth $250 or you wouldn't have purchased it. Everyone knows electronics drop in price.

Truth101 said:

People are miffed that they decided to buy the system at $250 and then it had a drastic price-drop. So, it's easy to put the blame on Nintendo to make yourselves feel better.

So would you buy a 3DS at $169 if you knew it was dropping to $89 on December 12th?

Ulairi said:
But if you purchased it at $250 you had to find it worth $250 or you wouldn't have purchased it. Everyone knows electronics drop in price.

But I wasn't expecting it this fast! What is so hard to understand about that?

$199-229 during the holidays is fine, I haven't even gotten the box put away yet on my desk and it's down $80 ...

The games are a nice touch ... but I personally would have waited if I knew it would drop by that much, that fast.

It's my fault, I'm not blaming Nintendo ... if anything Nintendo just proved to me that I don't have to buy the Wii U anytime soon after launch. In fact they just lost a purchase for the most part.

garth2000

I don't really get the outrage.

Short of getting your hands on a new toy, there are almost no benefits to being an early adopter for any technology. It's a risk of buying something on Day1. The system isn't doing as well as nintendo would like and as a result, they are taking measure by dropping the price. Look at the bright side, you still get some free games out of it. Also if the price drop works, more people will buy the system which means more games which is a win for all.

Moral of the story, be an early adopter at your own risk.

Truth101

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
So would you buy a 3DS at $169 if you knew it was dropping to $89 on December 12th?

But I wasn't expecting it this fast! What is so hard to understand about that?

$199-229 during the holidays is fine, I haven't even gotten the box put away yet on my desk and it's down $80 ...

Seeing as how no one knew the price was going to drop, I don't see your point.

Shiggy

JetBlackPanda said:
welcome to Nintendo since the Snes

The Wii and DS were quite a different endeavour, but as of now the 3DS seems to follow the port, remake and sequelisation strategy.

Dave Long

Banned
Eh... the free stuff is great! I'd still have purchased anyway. I've really enjoyed the system since launch and played it at least as much as everything else I own if not way more.

Once you have it, it's a sunk cost. Enjoy it or don't buy it in the first place I guess?

All the freebies are an awesome thing for Nintendo to do. So thanks!

Neo Child

Banned
Why are people complaining about this?!

Basically in both situations the consumer wins.

What exactly did you complainers want? We could just have the exact same price and NO free game, how does that sound? Stupid people.

Truth101 said:
Seeing as how no one knew the price was going to drop, I don't see your point.

My point is I would have waited. You're right, nobody knew it was happening, but now I'm never (and I mean NEVER) buying a Nintendo product day 1.

And to be honest the games lineup, all the shit that didn't happen these past 4 months with the system has made me jaded, this was just more salt.

It's my fault, nobody here is saying it isn't. The games are nice, thanks. But they pretty much lost any faith I had in them with this. I'll take my free games and give it to the 6 year old while I buy a Vita.

Toki767

I think if anything this teaches me to not buy a Wii U on day 1. At least not unless there's an HD Zelda or Mario.

20 free games that cost Nintendo nothing is still better than nothing at all which is nice.

flyinpiranha said:
My point is I would have waited. You're right, nobody knew it was happening, but now I'm never (and I mean NEVER) buying a Nintendo product day 1.

And to be honest the games lineup, all the shit that didn't happen these past 4 months with the system has made me jaded, this was just more salt.

It's my fault, nobody here is saying it isn't. The games are nice, thanks. But they pretty much lost any faith I had in them with this. I'll take my free games and give it to the 6 year old while I buy a Vita.

that makes sense, because obviously no games will ever come out that you want to play on the 3DS.

Roto13

thomaser said:
I wonder how this works for Scandinavians, since we cannot register our stuff at Club Nintendo.
Well, it's not a Club Nintendo offer. You just have to connect your 3DS to the eShop before the price drop.

garth2000

For anyone here in Canada who is interested: Futureshop has the 3DS on sale for $199 this week.

You may be able to buy it and still get access to the 20 free games. Seems like a best of both worlds to me.

Magni

How much would those 20 games cost? Ie, which is cheaper buying now and getting them for free, or waiting and buying them with a cheaper system. I don't care about getting them early.

JetBlackPanda said:
that makes sense, because obviously no games will ever come out that you want to play on the 3DS.

Looking at future releases you're probably right. Either way it's win/win because I'll still have both unless the 3DS goes the way of the PSP with 3rd party support.

Hopefully this price cut avoids that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
garth2000 said:
For anyone here in Canada who is interested: Futureshop has the 3DS on sale for $199 this week.

You may be able to buy it and still get access to the 20 free games. Seems like a best of both worlds to me.

and best buy and wal-mart.

but wal-mart has a 30 day price protection guaranteed and best buy/future shop are only 14 i think. try calling around to see.

teeny

I dont see why anyone would be getting riled up over a price drop this early. Obviously, when the 3DS was purchased, you deemed it to have enough value to purchase at that time. If you wanted a sweeter deal, you would have waited because we all know the machine would receive a price drop sooner or later.

Getting upset at this means you must have made an impulse buy without doing any research and, if you did that, then the problem is entirely your own.

I bought the thing at launch and have played enough games on it to make it worth my while. I havent even really noticed a drought until recently, and now Im just waiting for Bit Trip Saga, which isnt exactly far away.

Ulairi

Banned
flyinpiranha said:

This doesn't make any sense. You bought the product because you wanted to play games that are on or will be on the platform. You are getting 20 free games. But now, you don't want to play any games on the product? And to correct things, you're going to do the SAME THING that you did with the 3DS with the PSP Vita which may end up with similar results. Please tell me you're not a voter.

flyinpiranha said:

All products go through price drops! Stop this ridiculous drama over realizing this very apparent and obvious trend that's been the case in with all consumer products since forever

Roto13

MagniHarvald said:
How much would those 20 games cost? Ie, which is cheaper buying now and getting them for free, or waiting and buying them with a cheaper system. I don't care about getting them early.
Considering NES games are $5 on Wii and GBA games will most definitely be more than that, it's most likely cheaper to buy a 3DS now than to buy all of the games later.

teeny said:
I dont see why anyone would be getting riled up over a price drop this early. Obviously, when the 3DS was purchased, you deemed it to have enough value to purchase at that time. If you wanted a sweeter deal, you would have waited because we all know the machine would receive a price drop sooner or later.

Getting upset at this means you must have made an impulse buy without doing any research and, if you did that, then the problem is entirely your own.

I bought the thing at launch and have played enough games on it to make it worth my while. I havent even really noticed a drought until recently, and now Im just waiting for Bit Trip Saga, which isnt exactly far away.
I bought mine a month ago even though I kept telling myself $250 was too much for a handheld. It was kind of a moment of weakness. I'd be mad if there were no free games with this price drop, but I would be mad at myself for not waiting like I told myself I would (which, in fact, I was for the moments between reading about the price drop and reading about the freebies), not Nintendo.

GeekyDad

To be perfectly honest, all of the GBA games they've listed so far are VC I probably would have purchased anyway, and I'm guessing GBA games are generally going to be priced somewhere around $8-10. It's not a defense for Nintendo or anything, but it looks like things will even out. Shit, they don't HAVE to offer us anything. They're under no obligation whatsoever, and I'm glad they have the enlightened self interest to offer this kind of PR repair. I'm sure a price cut this big, this early definitely wasn't part of their initial plan. Shit happens.

At $170, I'd buy the system with two retail games. Twenty VC games instead is fine for me personally. It's actually preferable. I have a short attention span for games unless it's something like DQIX that just grabs me for weeks on end. So, having 20 games to go back and forth to right on my system menu will kind of be a treat.

It's still a bit of a shock, but eh...

DavieC726

I am an early adopter of the 3DS but even I have to say this whole idea is complete bullcrap. My main issue with it is the fact that right now the GBA games will not be available to the general public AT ALL. They are trying to increase sales but how can they when they release great games for early buyers only?

Top Bottom