• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Madden Season 2 Thread: I'm a Grabowski!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Not so easy to beat Ror with the Patriots, is it Bob? :lol :lol :lol

At least I scored in the double digits. :lol

Nice use of your TE too! :lol

Mrbob

Yeah, I know.

The moment I saw Dillon bounce off 4 of my defenders for five yards on a 3rd and 4 run on the Pats first drive I knew I was in trouble! :lol Or Bruschi skying 20 feet in the air for an int! My guys couldn't hold onto catches, and two of them bounced off my players hands into the defenders hands for ints. It was crazy. I knew I was doomed from the start.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I think it's BS, and if Ror is going to be playing these games he needs to be switched from the Pats and onto another team.

Mrbob

Well the Pats are only 2-6. Although probably 10-6 by the end of the season.

Are you worried about losing the division title? :lol

DMczaf

SickBoy said:
DM, Best time for my game with you would probably be afternoon-ish tomorrow. When's the best for you? I can probably squeeze it in today if tomorrow's no good on your end..

When can you go? Im going to be busy this weekend with homework. Im free right now for a bit

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:
Well the Pats are only 2-6. Although probably 10-6 by the end of the season.

Are you worried about losing the division title? :lol

I just won't be able to go 4-12 and win the division anymore. :lol

SickBoy

DMczaf said:
Perfect, just post here when you're ready.

K, I'm ready to go. I'm going to go online now. I think I have your old EA name still in my messenger, so if it's still right, I'll see you get on. If not, send me a friend request... my nick is SickBoyGA.

I don't have any sort of router setup, so I'm going to be blind to what's going on in the outside world, so if I don't see you in about 15, I'll check back here and see what's up...

SickBoy

That was a helluva game, DM. Let it be known I hate your D -- fast while also capable of manhandling my line.

I don't know what else to say. I would have much preferred a less competitive game from the point of view of "comfort," but it was an excellent game all around (wish I could take that INT back, of all the balls you would pick, I didn't think it would be that one. I tried to lead my receiver and your guy bit huge on the playaction).

I was sure the game was headed for overtime, but you never know when you're going to get a huge Madden play, I guess.

EDIT:
DMczaf said:
Time to go shopping for a new PS2 controller tonight

LOL. Don't blame you after the way it ended. Again, GG.

DMczaf

Lets see:

I lose to FMT due to TWO fumble recovery TDs

I lose to MrBob after having a 17-6 lead with 1:50 left in the 3rd

I lose to SickBoy due to the most riCOCKulous 90 yard TD with 2 secs left.

Im shocked it took me this long to break this controller. I think I've come a long way since 2003 where I broke 2 PS2 controllers in 1 month due to NFL2K4!

Rorschach

You know...I just might start using 3-4 again. 4-3 is the "safe" bet, but 3-4 yields high reward. The only problem is that RBs tear me a new one, but it owns the pass because I have to do less on the fly adjustments.

Also, just as an aside, did you guys all know that manually blitzing with the LBs and CBs is against the rules? I know all the vets know, but just putting it out there for the new guys.

As for the Pats, it kinda sucks...I wanted to take over so we could just get the league back on track and because I figured I needed the practice, but it's made me worse with the Raiders since I use different playbooks and Collins doesn't have the entire field Brady cone.

Or Bruschi skying 20 feet in the air for an int!

This is true. I was like "what..." And not only that, he came down with it and shed a tackler. I just stood there or he would have been gone for a TD.

SickBoy

Rorschach said:
Also, just as an aside, did you guys all know that manually blitzing with the LBs and CBs is against the rules? I know all the vets know, but just putting it out there for the new guys.

Yeah, although I do have a question about that. Is it wrong to take control of the guy as he's closing on the QB to try to use the hit stick, or lay the hit, period? I very rarely take control of another rusher, but I could see myself doing this (and it's possible I have on one or two occasions). I presume the big issue with LB and CB blitzes is about getting past blockers, so I'd expect this would be fair game.

The rule sort of sucks for us 3-4 folks, though. At least those of us who like to play rushing positions.... since a lot of times the fourth rusher is a linebacker... or in some zone-blitz formations, there's only one down lineman who's actually going in... (still, like fair play, it's one I'd rather have than not have -- I'm sure most wouldn't abuse it, but I like "no one" better than "most")

EDIT: BTW, if I didn't occasionally screw up a kick out of bounds, I'd be totally puzzled as to how I missed a 33-yarder for the win against Seattle. I've been hitting mid-40 yard field goals no problem. Came up just a couple yards short on a 51-yarder in this most recent game.

Rorschach

SickBoy said:
Yeah, although I do have a question about that. Is it wrong to take control of the guy as he's closing on the QB to try to use the hit stick, or lay the hit, period? I very rarely take control of another rusher, but I could see myself doing this (and it's possible I have on one or two occasions). I presume the big issue with LB and CB blitzes is about getting past blockers, so I'd expect this would be fair game.

The rule sort of sucks for us 3-4 folks, though. At least those of us who like to play rushing positions.... since a lot of times the fourth rusher is a linebacker... or in some zone-blitz formations, there's only one down lineman who's actually going in... (still, like fair play, it's one I'd rather have than not have -- I'm sure most wouldn't abuse it, but I like "no one" better than "most")
Switching over at the last minute is ok, I think. If they're already there, anyway. The problem is that if you do it from the snap, you can fly through blockers with no problem.

Mrbob

FMT you going to be home before late, LATE, LATE tonight?

I won't be home until around 9PM Central, but I can't stay up too late. Have to work early tommorrow so I need my beauty rest!

you can ALWAYS take control of the nearest defender to the QB as the play is developing. the problem with manual blitzing is that YOU (the human player) are using a speed burst at the start of the play. the blocker is NOT using a speed burst. therefore, you can EASILY dupe the blocker with a little speed burst and some clever movements of the control pad. it just isn't fair. if manual blitzing was allowed, everyone would do it because it yields about a 90% success ratio with regards to stopping the offense on any given play.

BUT! if the qb is running for his life and your AI defender is closing in, take control of him and finish the job. no shame in that, no rules against that.

p.s. bob i will be home all night. give me a time you want to play and ill be here

if i win my next 2 games, i'm (essentially) going to have a 5 game division lead with 7 games left. how sweet it is!

p.s. i will laugh if dm misses the playoffs again. but i will sing "some kind of wonderful" (if thats a song)

Mrbob

Well it is a shame then that you are going to lose your next game! Taking my undefeated road warrior record into San Fran, and will be coming out victorious!

DM may be out, as now I see the Pats getting in that final wild card slot! What have you done?!?! You've made a huge, tiny mistake!

just imagine rors taking over the pats as brady taking over for bledsoe: the team sucked at the time, people on the pats schedule said "free win!" when they first saw it, then they had to adapt their game to compete.

pats are creampuffs. i beat them 24-3 with the "worst team" in the game. my point proven ladies! rors is just trying to double his chance at a free game ;)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
FrenchMovieTheme said:
pats are creampuffs. i beat them 24-3 with the "worst team" in the game. my point proven ladies! rors is just trying to double his chance at a free game ;)
Just so you know, ror and I played an early Week 16 last night just to get it out of the way. No offense or anything, but sinistar just sucks that much*. Holy hell are pats broken. :mad:

* Doesn't have to stay this way though!

Mrbob

FrenchMovieTheme said:
pats are creampuffs. i beat them 24-3 with the "worst team" in the game. my point proven ladies!

All it shows is that you got lucky for one game! We'll see if lightning strikes twice in the same spot!

Rorschach

To be fair to MrBob and Wellington, in my game against FMT, I accidentally took out Bruschi and Samuels by autoreordering my depth chart (since I wasn't clear on who was in and out at the time of the roster update, I just reordered real fast) and I was using the 4-3 instead of the 3-4. The Pats ARE broken, but they can be beaten. The secret? Running it up the gut and controlling the mlb on defense. Everyone I have played has run it up easily on me, but they don't stick to it because either they are playing catchup or time is running out. Don't try to blitz too much because Brady's cone is the whole field, so it's easy to find the open receiver plus dillon/pass are decent blockers and the o-line is phenomenal. And lastly, don't throw more than you have to. I know how frustrating it is to play against the Pats from last three or so seasons.

sinistar makes his return to the patriots!

his connection looks like it will connect properly now, so unless that changes he will finish out the season with his team.

p.s. before you ask, no there will be no games replayed with him as the pats. get get get get get over it!

Mrbob

PS2 online fucking sucks. Piece of shit.

Me and Frenchie trying to connect for the past half hour. One problem or another.

FMT if you read this I can't even log onto the EA servers right now.

Mrbob

Rorschach said:
Oh please, we had similar problems with the servers on xbox as well. I blame EA. :D

![/B]

You sure about this? I never had a problem with Madden 06 on Live at all. In fact all my games were smooth, including FMT. Our games on PS2 are a lagfest so far.

Rorschach

Mrbob said:
You sure about this? I never had a problem with Madden 06 on Live at all. In fact all my games were smooth, including FMT. Our games on PS2 are a lagfest so far.
Yeah, there were times when the servers were down for 8 hrs...I've only had 2 laggy games so far and 1 was due to someone forgetting to turn off their torrents, heh. Anyway, that sucks. EA gave up on us this year with no leagues, lack of updated rosters, etc. :(

[edit] I had this problem in my first game with fmt...it's on his end :p

SickBoy

The EA servers are iffy. I've had on-and-off issues connecting to the EA servers. They've never been long-lasting. A handful of restart or a PS2 restart and I generally manage my way on.

My one recommendation would be to connect directly if you can, rather than through a router. I haven't had any big lag issues playing yet (outside of the hit stick delay). Occasional hiccups, but nothing bad.

Mrbob

Ok, I almost refuse to put in stats for this game because that easily goes down as the biggest amount of bullshit I've ever seen in a madden game! :lol That game topped our playoff game from a couple season ago where my punt returner fumbled two balls away for tds for no reason.

DMczaf

Mrbob said:
Ok, I almost refuse to put in stats for this game because that easily goes down as the biggest amount of bullshit I've ever seen in a madden game! :lol That game topped our playoff game from a couple season ago where my punt returner fumbled two balls away for tds for no reason.

You mean every bullshit play went FMT's way?!

shocked.jpg

I DONT BELIEVE IT!

Andokuky

Banned
everyone watch out...dallas is looking to make a 8-game run toward the playoffs...well, 7, since im going to lose 100-0 to ando again...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Holy.

Shit.

That was the most fucked up game ever. I had, far and away, my worst offensive game in years. This was going back to the Kordell days in Madden since I've been this bad. Fumbles all over the place, NINE total turnovers, ridiculous long plays, lucky as hell bounces off of the corner's head into Ward's hands for a huge third down conversion on the final drive of the fourth to tie. And did I mention Corey Dillon's fumble in OT to hand me the win?

I did not deserve to win that game.

But I'll take it. Wild card spot for me!

Top Bottom