• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Violater said:
My Pc would be first and foremost for 3d modeling and rendering, gaming is just a bonus.
So no my decision is not a poor one, and saving for the PC parts only means I drink, party and waste money less.

So far I have only received one answer to my question.

When in doubt, go with Asus. Especially for motherboards.

Violater said:
My Pc would be first and foremost for 3d modeling and rendering, gaming is just a bonus.
So no my decision is not a poor one, and saving for the PC parts only means I drink, party and waste money less.

So far I have only received one answer to my question.

Fair enough, though I'd still look at an i7 860.

Having said that then, I'd ditch the pricey RAM, and instead get 12GB of slower DDR3 for the same price, LGA1366 doesn't even officialy support DDR3 1600, the extra speed is a waste really.

You can get 12GB of this stuff for less than 6GB of the RAM you selected for instance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0227477&cm_re=6gb_ddr3-_-20-227-477-_-Product

Either of these two sets are a decent choice, you wouldn't notice any worse performance, RAM speed has a very small impact on performance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...25&cm_re=6gb_ddr3_1600-_-20-231-225-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0145242&cm_re=6gb_ddr3-_-20-145-242-_-Product

Q8D3vil

HI
i have desktop with i7 - gtx 295 - 2x3 ddr3 - 2x1 1 tb hard drive - 1 dvd rw
all that using corsair 750w 80plus

do you think my psu can handle sound card and 1 hard drive ?
cause i just bought ht omega sound card and i forget about the power consumption

can you recommend me some good 7200 rpm 2 tb or more hard drive ?
thanks

Q8D3vil said:
HI

cause i just bought ht omega sound card and i forget about the power consumption

thanks

:lol

Of course, yeah, your sound card will draw a negligible amount of power, same with the HDD.

Violater

brain_stew said:
Fair enough, though I'd still look at an i7 860.

Having said that then, I'd ditch the pricey RAM, and instead get 12GB of slower DDR3 for the same price, LGA1366 doesn't even officialy support DDR3 1600, the extra speed is a waste really.

You can get 12GB of this stuff for less than 6GB of the RAM you selected for instance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0227477&cm_re=6gb_ddr3-_-20-227-477-_-Product

Either of these two sets are a decent choice, you wouldn't notice any worse performance, RAM speed has a very small impact on performance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...25&cm_re=6gb_ddr3_1600-_-20-231-225-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0145242&cm_re=6gb_ddr3-_-20-145-242-_-Product

Awesome thanks on the Ram tip.

Minsc

Gold Member
Q8D3vil said:
HI

thanks

Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black SATA 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache.

It's basically like a WD Velociraptor, except over 10x larger. Great drive, and a 5 year warranty too!

anyone here have experience unlocking a phenom II x550 to quad core? i dont plan on ocing it, but im wondering if the stock heat sink is enough or should i wait and get a heatsink with a little bit more balls before attempting the unlock?

Niks

Dear PC GAF,

What system would you build with US $1300, that includes monitor and preferably the ATI 5850??
Thanks for any suggestions.

brain_stew said:
Before you go ahead and order, have you not considered one of the new Athlon X4s?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...103706&cm_re=athlon_x4-_-19-103-706-_-Product

Considering the work you're doing those two extra cores will get some good use, so it may well be worth the $40 premium if you can manage it. At 2.6ghz dual/single threaded performance should be decent enough, especially with a mild OC to 3ghz which will be a piece of cake and the stock cooling will manage just fine.

Too late for the X4's but, no biggie to me as I'm already enjoying my new computer now. Amazing how slow a 2.8 celeronD with only 512 of ram is compared to this thing. Can't imagine an OC'd X4 in here.

brain_stew said:
Stop worrying about using your integrated graphics in some CrossfireX mode, they'll never provide a worthwile speed bump.

Yeah, I went ahead with the 4770 and that EarthWatts 380 PSU. Actually both were installed just a little while ago. I already OC'd the 4770 in the Catalyst Control Center to the max(830/850) for that software with absolutely no issues at all. I'll probably try out Riva Tuner tomorrow just to see how much higher I can go with the card. 850/950 would be really nice but, I have my doubts.

Tzeentch

Has anyone seen any recent (post 2003) Silicon Graphics case mod conversions? I've been pondering getting a cheap Octane case and using it as a media server. I have a working Indigo 2 (BTW free to anyone who wants to pay the crazy shipping charges) and Indigo 1 (keeping that one for sentimental reasons) but those cases are too small to have much fun with.

BTW for those pondering a cool case, you can get a fully functioning SGI Fuel (well, sort of functioning) for about $500, which for some of you might be worth it for the skin alone :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
godhandiscen said:
GET RID OF THAT CASE. Acer discontinued that model because they burn inside, to the point that they cause house fires. http://gadgetblips.dailyradar.com/story/desktop_computers_recalled_by_acer_america_corp_due_to/ Keep the components, just don't even attempt to use that case unless you want to play russian roulette and fry them.

Dude... really, no need to fly off the handle like that :lol

I heard about the recall when it was news- that is, march of this year. It specifically affected the ASG7200 and ASG7700, which were release around April 2008, and neither of which are the computer I got. In fact, the 7710 was unveiled- *gasp*- two months after that recall, and yes, using the same case.

The machines have barely any parts in common at all besides the case (in fact, zero, judging by a superficial glance at the 7700's spec list), but most notably those two used the same completely different motherboard than the 7710.

This was not a refurbished unit that somebody sent back after it melted an innocent brain. This was not a lost pallet of soon-to-explode PCs discovered by acer and sent to be pawned off at the earliest convenience. This was a brand new PC put together by Acer and using the same case, and I happen to like it. Gut shots show great airflow, 4 external hdd hot-swap bays, the badass way the optical drive slots open... They continue using this case in their new systems to this day, and for good reason. I would've preferred the blue personally (http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/acer-aspire-predator-amd.jpg) but I was nooot about to be picky for the price.

Look what 10 minutes of research before posting would have found:
engadget said:
Apparently the insulation on some of the computer's internal wiring can become stripped, and has proceeded to short-circuit and melt internal components

Insulation on the internal wiring... does not sound like the fault of the case to me. In fact, it sounds like the fault of the particular assembly of PSU and Mobo that Acer put together in those models last year, and neither part is the same in this one.

Even if the case itself were a heatmonger, the 7710 has liquid cooling, which neither of those models did. PCMag's benches which I read before buying pushed the system hard and made no mention of temperatures.

Listen, if it blows up and burns my face off I will be back on here with a plate of humble pie and $25 for godhandiscen. But I'm keeping the case. Its features were part of the value at purchase for me, and I'm not about to take it apart and install everything in another case because two models released over a year ago that happen to use the same case were recalled.

Violater, I know some other people that also wanted to jump on the deal and missed it so I am periodically checking the page, I will PM you if they find some lying around and put the deal back up at any point :D

Just wanted to make a shout out to brain_stew, who is a gentleman and a scholar for helping me out so much with this PC business. Thanks man I really appreciate it.

Now for the next step :lol
Are any of these cases good? Keeping in mind that I don't intend to SLI anything:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=17833721

And can someone recommend me a good monitor? I'm thinking about having one in the 20-24" range with 1080p capabilities but I'm not sure if there is a wide difference in quality like there is with televisions.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:lol You linked to a reply to this thread bucko

EDIT: On monitors, I LOVE the acer 22'' (huh, acer... I suppose I don't have as many problems with acer as some seem to) that I got for $99, but it isn't 1080p capable. Might be cheaper now. Max res is 1680x1050, which makes for the largest pixel size available until 27'' with 1920x1080. Games look gooooooooood on it for such a price. I can get you a model/link if you're interested

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hawkian said:
Even if the case itself were a heatmonger, the 7710 has liquid cooling, which neither of those models did. PCMag's benches which I read before buying pushed the system hard and made no mention of temperatures.
Well if the transferred heat has no where to go then it doesn't matter what cooling you have.

Good to hear your PC probably won't go up in smoke, it needs that to work.

Take some pics when you get it!

Firestorm

Niks said:
Dear PC GAF,

What system would you build with US $1300, that includes monitor and preferably the ATI 5850??
Thanks for any suggestions.
One suggestion:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.258675
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.245467
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.262086
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151188
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

You could probably skimp a little on the case, but I hear great things about it. This is just what I posted a few pages back.

Edit: Scratch everything. All the combos died 15 mins ago.

Hawkian said:

EDIT: On monitors, I LOVE the acer 22'' (huh, acer... I suppose I don't have as many problems with acer as some seem to) that I got for $99, but it isn't 1080p capable. Might be cheaper now. Max res is 1680x1050, which makes for the largest pixel size available until 27'' with 1920x1080. Games look gooooooooood on it for such a price. I can get you a model/link if you're interested
1920x1080 monitors are 23".

I should be doing hw said:
Just wanted to make a shout out to brain_stew, who is a gentleman and a scholar for helping me out so much with this PC business. Thanks man I really appreciate it.

Now for the next step :lol
Are any of these cases good? Keeping in mind that I don't intend to SLI anything:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=17833721

And can someone recommend me a good monitor? I'm thinking about having one in the 20-24" range with 1080p capabilities but I'm not sure if there is a wide difference in quality like there is with televisions.

Your link doesn't work.

23" 1080p is the sweet spot I feel these days, the majority of which will be of a very similar quality if they use TN panels. If you don't mind doubling/tripling your budget then you will see a jump in quality from a better panel type, though people tend to inflate the deficiencies of TN panels these days, they're not nearly as bad as some paint them as.

Hawkian said:

Lol wtf :lol
No idea how that happened. http://pcmaniacs.com.au/case-c-62.html Here's the real link.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hazaro said:
Well if the transferred heat has no where to go then it doesn't matter what cooling you have.

Right you are. Sorry bout the NewEgg watermarks.
alyxback.jpg

Holey back, batman! Big fans shove hot air out, o'course

alyxside.jpg

Classy side vent; I may install an 80mm or so there depending on space/temps/noise. Mine will be running SLI so definitely a bit hotter, though the GPU coolers themselves are quite good.

alyxguts.jpg

The insidez; you can see the LC, clean cabling, drive cage, lots of open space, etc

Good to hear your PC probably won't go up in smoke, it needs that to work.
I see what you did there.

Take some pics when you get it!

I will, my good man! And if it 'splodes, I'll take pics of that too :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Firestorm said:
1920x1080 monitors are 23".

Uh.. wha? Lots of monitors above 22'' can display 1920x1080. I was referring to the ability of a monitor to display pixel-for-pixel at the largest native size; a 23'' would have to squash, so greater density but smaller size; a 30'' would stretch, so vice versa (though these of course could also do 2560x1600... but then, of course, squashed); a 26'' or 27'' is the sweet spot for 1080p, though they're natively at 1920x1200 and have to ignore 60 pixels- you probably won't even notice.

Pretty much 22'' is to 1680x1050
as 27'' is to 1920x1200

Then again, to keep this all in perspective, barely any of this is detectable to the human eye, and it'll all look fantastic at the higher resolution of course no matter what monitor you choose.

As far as the cases, I'm partial to the X-Cruiser- just depends on components if you'd need to replace the PSU. It's a tight case though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I wouldn't worry about the sidevent. I did testing on my old rig and it made no difference in temps. (1C for two 80mm)

Just focus on a nice exhaust fan (I like 120x38mm) along with an intake.

vesp

Anyone have a good recommendation for a matx case that would allow a 5870 or, ideally crossfired 5850s, but remain small enough to be able to viably be used in an entertainment center. I really like the cube and shuttle form factors, but it can go a bit bigger than that, but I dont want something taller than like double a shuttle.

I'd really love that new i7 shuttle barebone, but 600 bucks is way too much for a board, case, and power supply and that still wont cf 5850s (though a 5870 will fit).

vesp

Minsc said:
Yea, the Core i5 is a very good processor, it can beat the core i7 920 in some things, even multi-threaded things (such as video encoding).

Only thing that worries me about the i5 is the upgrade path. I'd be worried about buying a new pc with a chipset that probably wont go anywhere since theres a better one already launched.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hazaro said:
I wouldn't worry about the sidevent. I did testing on my old rig and it made no difference in temps. (1C for two 80mm)

Ahhh good to know. Thanks for the advice :D The stock rear exhaust is 120mm, I'll be sure to burn it in (Prime 95x8 + Crysis at full res and AA, here I come) just to see how it does under EXTREME circumstances.

EDIT:
Only thing that worries me about the i5 is the upgrade path. I'd be worried about buying a new pc with a chipset that probably wont go anywhere since theres a better one already launched.

I actually wouldn't say it's not going anywhere. Actually it's more like the old i7 chipset isn't going anywhere, necessarily, though who knows what Intel will do. The newer i7s (860 etc) use the Socket 1156 just like the i5s.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hawkian said:
Dude... really, no need to fly off the handle like that :lol

I heard about the recall when it was news- that is, march of this year. It specifically affected the ASG7200 and ASG7700, which were release around April 2008, and neither of which are the computer I got. In fact, the 7710 was unveiled- *gasp*- two months after that recall, and yes, using the same case.

The machines have barely any parts in common at all besides the case (in fact, zero, judging by a superficial glance at the 7700's spec list), but most notably those two used the same completely different motherboard than the 7710.

This was not a refurbished unit that somebody sent back after it melted an innocent brain. This was not a lost pallet of soon-to-explode PCs discovered by acer and sent to be pawned off at the earliest convenience. This was a brand new PC put together by Acer and using the same case, and I happen to like it. Gut shots show great airflow, 4 external hdd hot-swap bays, the badass way the optical drive slots open... They continue using this case in their new systems to this day, and for good reason. I would've preferred the blue personally (http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/acer-aspire-predator-amd.jpg) but I was nooot about to be picky for the price.

Look what 10 minutes of research before posting would have found:

Insulation on the internal wiring... does not sound like the fault of the case to me. In fact, it sounds like the fault of the particular assembly of PSU and Mobo that Acer put together in those models last year, and neither part is the same in this one.

Listen, if it blows up and burns my face off I will be back on here with a plate of humble pie and $25 for godhandiscen. But I'm keeping the case. Its features were part of the value at purchase for me, and I'm not about to take it apart and install everything in another case because two models released over a year ago that happen to use the same case were recalled.

Violater, I know some other people that also wanted to jump on the deal and missed it so I am periodically checking the page, I will PM you if they find some lying around and put the deal back up at any point :D
Don't think I am hoping for something bad to happen to you or that I posted out of envy. To my best knowledge, that case was popular for frying components. If Acer improved on their design, then it is great. I always considered that case looked badass, nice to see that it now performs on par with its looks.

Hazaro said:

I guess I would. Looking at the cooling solution, all the air will hit the vent the where the watercooler is hanging. I would use the sidevent as the main system exaust, and leave the rear vent dedicated to the watercooler to not alter its temps..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
godhandiscen said:
Don't think I am hoping for something bad to happen to you or that I posted out of envy. To my best knowledge, that case was popular for frying components. If Acer improved on their design, then it is great. I always considered that case looked badass, nice to see that it now performs on par with its looks.

Oh no worries- I didn't think you were posting with either intention. I just figured you didn't realize that the story of the recall was from before the release of this rig, and this model wasn't affected. Even at this price, I wouldn't put down money for a prebuilt that I was just planning to immediately disassemble, and I always research every major component of a rig before I decide if it's a good deal.

vesp

Hawkian said:
Ahhh good to know. Thanks for the advice :D The stock rear exhaust is 120mm, I'll be sure to burn it in (Prime 95x8 + Crysis at full res and AA, here I come) just to see how it does under EXTREME circumstances.

EDIT:

I actually wouldn't say it's not going anywhere. Actually it's more like the old i7 chipset isn't going anywhere, necessarily, though who knows what Intel will do. The newer i7s (860 etc) use the Socket 1156 just like the i5s.

Right but p55 doesnt support triple channel. I know real world isnt showing triple channel to be that much of an upgrade currently, but I dont see manufacturers giving up the buzzword and the difference should increase over time. Plus the i9 (six cores) wont be 1156, though who knows if they'll be worthwhile anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
vesp said:
though who knows if they'll be worthwhile anyway.

At these levels of performance we're talking about marginal increases for exponentially larger amounts of money- basically, you can look at benchmarks to see where the bang for the buck is- and it's a pretty reasonable argument that right now, that's the i5s. I have no clue what the i9s will be like either, but I know I'm not going to upgrade my CPU again for at least a couple of years. I guess it just depends how long-term you're thinking.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:
I guess I would. Looking at the cooling solution, all the air will hit the vent the where the watercooler is hanging. I would use the sidevent as the main system exaust, and leave the rear vent dedicated to the watercooler to not alter its temps..
I went through a fan craze on my old CM Centurion 5, had 7 fans in it. Also went through a period of time where I had two 130CFM fans on my cooler.

After a bit I decided to mess around with my side intake and mount a 120mm in the drive bays.

Basically what I learned is that no matter what fancy set-up (or air-flow diagram) you have it basically comes down to a good in and out. As long as some cool intake flows nicely to the outtake it works and works well.

When I had 2 80mm blowing on my GPU I totally though my temps would go down, but they just churned the air around (I would think) as my temps didn't go anywhere.

*From the pic it looks like the waterblock already has a 38mm on it which is good because you need pressure to push air past the fins.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wonder if it'll exceed my 8800GTS SLI rig in temps at stock... I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input everyone :D

Minsc

Gold Member
vesp said:

Being what, the X58? There's no sure future for that either. The core i9s are likely to be forever way out of the price range any normal person would spend.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anandtech 920 vs 860 benches.

Surprising, to me anyway. Thought the ghz advantage would have meant more than it does.. Means I should update my little ranking thing I did earlier (which was a guess, now it's good to have some benches to go by). So here's how it looks to me now (from slowest to fastest):

$200 - Core i5 750
$290 - Core i7 860
$280 - Core i7 920
$570 - Core i7 870
$570 - Core i7 950
$1100 - Core i7 965

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Minsc said:
Being what, the X58? There's no sure future for that either. The core i9s are likely to be forever way out of the price range any normal person would spend.

Obviously not forever (core i21, anybody?), but I agree with your point.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Changed the timings to what you said and tried voltage at 1.5 and 1.425 and still just the long beep on boot up and nothing else. :/

EDIT: Should I be clearing the cmos after changing settings?

EDIT 2: Should I be changing VCore Voltage or Core VTT Voltage? So confused about why I'm having so much trouble.

Is anyone able to help me with my overclocking problems?

Hawkian said:
VTT is for RAM voltages, you shouldn't need to mess with that unless you're OCing your ram.

Any idea why the long beep and it not booting when just going from 1333 to 1350? That's barely anything so I can't be pushing it hard.

MoFuzz

I was so happy after having sucessfully built a budget rig for my GF using my old Sonata II case I had lying around. It ran flawlessly for well over 2 months, but now I'm noticing that Windows freezes periodcally after being idle for an undetermined amount of time.

Specs are:

Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5 Ghz - oc'ed to 3.33 Ghz
Xigmatek S-1283 Direct Touch 3 CPU Heatsink
4GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
ASUS 9600 GSO 384MB GPU - also oc'ed, forget the specs off hand
Windows XP Pro SP3
Sonata II case with 450W Antec SmartPower PSU

I initially thought it may have been an overheating CPU or GPU, but temps seem well within normal range. CPU idles at about 30, under load 35, while GPU idles at 51 and under load 70.

Also, if it was heat related, wouldn't more stressing tasks like gaming cause the lock-up? Typically Windows would use the least amount of power and resources no?

The funny thing is that it can handle games, surf the web, play videos fine for hours on end with no problems. However, if you leave it for say 1 or 2 hours and let the screen saver come up, it will freeze up and display some odd looking pixels across the screen. The only option at this point is hitting the restart button on the tower.

Help me Obi-Gaf-enobi, you're my only hope!

mug

Updated videocard drivers I'm sure? Try using the onboard video (assuming it's on the board) to see if it's the card.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Any idea why the long beep and it not booting when just going from 1333 to 1350? That's barely anything so I can't be pushing it hard.
Doesn't sound right. Your RAM voltage is what it should be?
Didn't change any settings or RAM ratios?
MoFuzz said:
I was so happy after having sucessfully built a budget rig for my GF using my old Sonata II case I had lying around. It ran flawlessly for well over 2 months, but now I'm noticing that Windows freezes periodcally after being idle for an undetermined amount of time.

I initially thought it may have been an overheating CPU or GPU, but temps seem well within normal range. CPU idles at about 30, under load 35.
That can't be right, use Realtemp or CoreTemp along with ORTHOS, Prime95, or whatever.

Also run memtest and a HDD diagnostic tool, usually your manufacturer will have the program on their website.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Those core temps are insane- that is, unrealistically ARCTIC in terms of CPU load temps. You should try another program.

As to your lockups, it sounds software-related to me. A windows reinstall may be in your future :(

MoFuzz said:

Specs are:

Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5 Ghz - oc'ed to 3.33 Ghz
Xigmatek S-1283 Direct Touch 3 CPU Heatsink
4GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
ASUS 9600 GSO 384MB GPU - also oc'ed, forget the specs off hand
Windows XP Pro SP3
Sonata II case with 450W Antec SmartPower PSU

I initially thought it may have been an overheating CPU or GPU, but temps seem well within normal range. CPU idles at about 30, under load 35, while GPU idles at 51 and under load 70.

Also, if it was heat related, wouldn't more stressing tasks like gaming cause the lock-up? Typically Windows would use the least amount of power and resources no?

The funny thing is that it can handle games, surf the web, play videos fine for hours on end with no problems. However, if you leave it for say 1 or 2 hours and let the screen saver come up, it will freeze up and display some odd looking pixels across the screen. The only option at this point is hitting the restart button on the tower.

Help me Obi-Gaf-enobi, you're my only hope!

I assume you've tried reinstalling Windows right?

Hazaro said:
Doesn't sound right. Your RAM voltage is what it should be?
Didn't change any settings or RAM ratios?

That can't be right, use Realtemp or CoreTemp along with ORTHOS, Prime95, or whatever.

Also run memtest and a HDD diagnostic tool, usually your manufacturer will have the program on their website.

I have it as linked and I changed the ratio from auto to 1:1 and have also tried 5:4.

vertopci

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Your mobo manual should tell you exactly what a long beep means. Check that out first and see if it helps you solve your problem.

Top Bottom