• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Threi said:
yeah the curveball in that plan is:

210px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

Well I'd still be looking at similar parts, should be able to still come in under budget and have a very nice rig at the end of it.

Yazus

Guys, I bought a premade PC last march.

It's a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P

Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.6Ghz
2GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8400GS

Now, I could you please tell me, how much my computer will last (I usually only play WoW, browse internet)?

If I should change a graphic card, could you please tell me something that is around 100€ and it's good? Nvidia possibly, thanks :D

Zyzyxxz

Yazus said:
Guys, I bought a premade PC last march.

It's a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P

Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.6Ghz
2GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8400GS

Now, I could you please tell me, how much my computer will last (I usually only play WoW, browse internet)?

If I should change a graphic card, could you please tell me something that is around 100€ and it's good? Nvidia possibly, thanks :D

you can probably overclock your CPU to at least 3.0 ghz to get some more performance out of it.

Upgrade to 4gigs of ram if you are on Vista or plan to upgrade.

The videocard is your weakest point, for your budget I don't know Euro prices but for that money you can get a ATi 4830 or hopefully should be able to.

Yazus

Zyzyxxz said:
you can probably overclock your CPU to at least 3.0 ghz to get some more performance out of it.

Upgrade to 4gigs of ram if you are on Vista or plan to upgrade.

The videocard is your weakest point, for your budget I don't know Euro prices but for that money you can get a ATi 4830 or hopefully should be able to.

Tank you :D :D

Are you sure I can overclock my system even if it's premade?

Maaseru

Banned
There's no shorting against the case, I made sure of that. And yes the 4 pin CPU power connector is in.

So that basically means that the CPU Is the problem. I already called for replacement.

Any more ideas or suggestions before I dive in with the exchange?

DeadTrees

Maaseru said:
There's no shorting against the case, I made sure of that. And yes the 4 pin CPU power connector is in.

So that basically means that the CPU Is the problem. I already called for replacement.

Check the motherboard manual and verify that the power switch is connected to the right pins on the motherboard (and that the connector hasn't been inserted backwards).

Also, try powering on without any hard drives, RAM, or cards inserted.

Maaseru said:

Try unplugging anything that isn't necessary for the boot process. I had my USB connectors flipped once, and it caused a similar problem.

bee said:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-109-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

and

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-188-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=939

Are both worth consideration as well if you've got around £200 to spend. All great prices but it depends what you wan, for absolute performance, go GTX 280, if you were planning to buy Mirror's Edge and Far Cry 2 anyway then the GTX 260 (216) is a scorcher of a deal but if you want great performance whilst saving a few pennies and not bothered about the free games then the 4870 1GB is the card for you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maaseru said:
SO I bought so new parts and this is the first time I build a pc.

I have a problem. I plugged everything in like it's supposed to, but the pc doesnt boot up. No fans turn or neither the heatsink. I don't think it's a MB problem cause the standby and dimm lights turn on and it's not the PS cuase it gives power to the cases LED. So I have narrowed it down to the CPU.

Am I right? What tips CAn you give me to totaly confirm this? (I don't have acces to any other MB so I can test the CPu or viceversa)
Press the power button on the Motherboard.

ahoyle77

Any suggestions out there for a gaming notebook? Budget 1,500 or less. Doing some quick searching I found this...
Gateway P-7801u, 4 gb ddr3, geforce 9600 gts...is that about as good as I can do for that price?

ahoyle77 said:
Any suggestions out there for a gaming notebook? Budget 1,500 or less. Doing some quick searching I found this...
Gateway P-7801u, 4 gb ddr3, geforce 9600 gts...is that about as good as I can do for that price?

Wait till 4670 and 4850/70 notebooks hit. The cards are already available so there should be a nice selection before long. They're a huge upgrade over the crap Nvidia are still supplying.

ahoyle77

brain_stew said:
Wait till 4670 and 4850/70 notebooks hit. The cards are already available so there should be a nice selection before long. They're a huge upgrade over the crap Nvidia are still supplying.

The ATI 4850? Sorry, I am sure that is a dumb question but assume I know nothing. How soon will they be out? Are there any good sites I should check other than tigerdirect and the usual electronic store sites?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Rimshot said:
I think what he is talking about is not the performance in games but the reliability of the RAM, how many errors it makes, if they ship bad batches today etc. And how much freeway you have when clocking the RAM.

But then again I do not know him so I don't know what he really meant. One can only guess.
You are spot on.
Ballistix used to be everyone's choice.

However, the RAM itself was burning out quickly (errors + failures), in addition to that they moved the process to a cheaper dual-sided version which clocked and preformed no where near the originals.

Victim I was talking about these articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32nm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22nm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16nm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-133066.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunneling

I knew of some of the problems, but it's still a great read.

Also found this case, reminded me of that plane on a treadmill thing. :lol

ahoyle77 said:
The ATI 4850? Sorry, I am sure that is a dumb question but assume I know nothing. How soon will they be out? Are there any good sites I should check other than tigerdirect and the usual electronic store sites?

The cards are out, its just a case of OEMs integrating them into their designs. The stepup from Nvidia's current offerings is said to be considerable. Since you can't upgrade the GPU in a laptop, I'd recommend holding out. They have the full 800 stream processors of their desktop variants (at least the 4870 does, the 4850 shouldn't be too dissimilar) but have lower core and memory clocks. As such you can expect some very meaty performance. I know ASUS have already got a 4870 based laptop in production and I'm sure others will follow.

Maaseru

Banned
So I plug only the basic stuff and took out the memories. It booted. Next I tried with the memories on. It now boots but I get the 7F debug code and no video to continue. The Video card is connected and turns on.

rc213

Maaseru said:
So I plug only the basic stuff and took out the memories. It booted. Next I tried with the memories on. It now boots but I get the 7F debug code and no video to continue. The Video card is connected and turns on.

Specs?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
brain_stew said:
The cards are out, its just a case of OEMs integrating them into their designs. The stepup from Nvidia's current offerings is said to be considerable. Since you can't upgrade the GPU in a laptop, I'd recommend holding out. They have the full 800 stream processors of their desktop variants (at least the 4870 does, the 4850 shouldn't be too dissimilar) but have lower core and memory clocks. As such you can expect some very meaty performance. I know ASUS have already got a 4870 based laptop in production and I'm sure others will follow.
Yes you certainly can, as long as it has MXM slots, which every enthusiast-class gaming notebook now has, with the exception of Dell's XPS 1730, which is trash anyway.

Look to MSI, OCZ, and Clevo notebooks to have them first. Ignore Asus for now.

The 4850 will reach the Clevo 15" M860TU eventually. MSI and OCZ will stick to 17".

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
K.Jack said:
Yes you certainly can, as long as it has MXM slots, which every enthusiast-class gaming notebook now has.

The 4850 will reach the Clevo 15" M860TU eventually. MSI and OCZ will stick to 17".

The 4870 will need like 4 of those slots man. :lol

Zyzyxxz

ahoyle77 said:

If you want one now the Gateway FX series is the best bet as it can play most games decently but yeah if you can hold out I'd wait until somebody starts putting 4850's in the laptops.

K.Jack said:
Yes you certainly can, as long as it has MXM slots, which every enthusiast-class gaming notebook now has, with the exception of Dell's XPS 1730, which is trash anyway.

Considering the price, availability, installation troubles, warranty problems and heating concerns its not at all feasible for your average user, nor cost effective. As such its something I would never ask anyone to rely upon, for all intents and purposes to the average user, its as good as having no upgrade path.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Do you really know exactly what your talking about? Do you know what an MXM slot is, other that what you can Google really fast? Have you ever seen the inside of one of these notebooks I speak of? Changed out a GPU from an MXM-III or MXM-IV slot? Do you know how cheap ATi's new cards are, and their max TDP?

Rahnter

Current system:
Biostar 790gx a2+
Ocz500mxsp psu
Powercolor 3870
2400be @ 2.8
4gb ddr2 800
etc.

Looking to replace my cpu with either the 6000 @ 3.1 or the 7750. Thoughts? I really want to keep it under $100, but any suggestions are appreciated. Mainly looking for some gaming improvements... gpu upgrade in the summer.

Maaseru

Banned
Maaseru said:
I got it to boot, but it's stuck in the completing install after it restarted to finish installation.
Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66Ghz Socket 775 CPU
Corsair 4096MB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz (2x2048MB)
WD Caviar 640GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW Socket 775 Motherboard
BFG GeForce GTX 260 SC 896MB PCIe w/Dual Link

Rimshot

Maaseru said:
I got it to boot, but it's stuck in the completing install after it restarted to finish installation.

If it's Vista you installed it might be something as simple as that you have the video cable in the wrong DVI port. It still shows on screen when installing, but when booting to Vista it goes black as it wants to output from the other DVI port.

Maaseru

Banned
Rimshot said:
If it's Vista you installed it might be something as simple as that you have the video cable in the wrong DVI port. It still shows on screen when installing, but when booting to Vista it goes black as it wants to output from the other DVI port.
Um.
I mean that when I restart it it goes back to the vista install screen and it stays on 'completing installation...' . It never finishes? any clues?

Pachinko

Don't forget fellow Canadian computer builders that you can use B-Com Computers as well as the usual recommendations. In fact last I checked their prices were cheaper then ncix but it looked like a sale they had going on.

Only thing is the way they sell DDR3 ram on their website doesn't seem to indicate that they realize you need 3 sticks for the new mobo's.

it would be nice if some of you guys that finished building their rigs could start posting some scores from 3dmark, or from fraps? let's see how all that hard work paid off? :D

bardia

So after spending some time with the new pc for 3 weeks and looking over some guides i've been busy OCing today, so far here are my results, if anyone has any comments/feedback please let me know:

1. CPU: E8400 3GHz ---> OC'd to 3.7GHz in synch with ram, vcore 1.25, ran prime 95 for over an hour and played games for a couple of hours with no errors. Load temps are 53 Celsius.

2.GPU:HD4830 575/900 ---> 700/975 Currently. I've maxed out the GPU clock on the ati catalyst centre, don't know if i should keep going using a diff program. I've tested for artifacts using COD WAW 1650x1050 Max settings 4x AA as well as 3D Mark. No spotting of artifacts yet, although i'm worried that im pushing the GPU too much. Currently working on memory clock.

Zyzyxxz

evil solrac v3.0 said:
it would be nice if some of you guys that finished building their rigs could start posting some scores from 3dmark, or from fraps? let's see how all that hard work paid off? :D

Ugh just found out I am underbudget.

Hopefully I'll get all my parts before the middle of Feb. once I get my Chinese New Years Money.

Here is what I am probably gonna go with:

Phenom II X4 920 @ 2.8ghz
2x2 gb of Crucial Ballistix
ATi 4870
and if I have enough money
WD 640gb HDD

I'll probably post performance results from games as I generally don't care about 3dmark as it doesn't mean anything to me compared to real game performance.

Minsc

Gold Member
brain_stew said:
Considering the price, availability, installation troubles, warranty problems and heating concerns its not at all feasible for your average user, nor cost effective. As such its something I would never ask anyone to rely upon, for all intents and purposes to the average user, its as good as having no upgrade path.

There's a good forum for you to browse around here, it's taught me quite a lot about the laptop scene (just curiosity, but I was surprised what a big community there is). It doesn't seem much of a big deal to swap out a graphics card, if you bought a laptop that has that ability.

ahoyle77

Thanks for the help on the laptop. I am helping a friends wife pick him out one, and she has til like March or April. So I will wait on the newer cards.

Fireblend

Banned
So what's the general consensus on building a new rig right now avoiding the new i7/DDR3/etc? How much would it last before I'm obliged to upgrade to the new architecture if I built a decent Core 2 Quad rig? I've been wanting to build a new computer myself for a while, but my budget right now is pretty restrained, and I was wondering if it would last me for a good 3 or 4 years before I have to build a new one.

Also, what would a good Core 2 Quad processor be? I'd always planned to get an C2D E8400, so I'm not really familiar with them and I'd be looking for something that tops that (the E8400, unless it's the better deal).

Fireblend said:
So what's the general consensus on building a new rig right now avoiding the new i7/DDR3/etc? How much would it last before I'm obliged to upgrade to the new architecture if I built a decent Core 2 Quad rig? I've been wanting to build a new computer myself for a while, but my budget right now is pretty restrained, and I was wondering if it would last me for a good 3 or 4 years before I have to build a new one.

Also, what would a good Core 2 Quad processor be? I'd always planned to get an C2D E8400, so I'm not really familiar with them and I'd be looking for something that tops that (the E8400, unless it's the better deal).
If you can go the Core i7 route, you've got a non-obsolete platform for the next 5-7 years. Since the 775 platform is retired from getting any more updates, it does make for a compelling reason to jump to the 1366 platform for longevity if you value that.

If I had to build a Core 2 Quad system right now I would get the 9550 or higher quad, good aftermarket cooler and max out to 8GB with DDR2 1066 or higher.

Difference in platform prices:
Core i7 rig: $900-$1200 bucks depending on reused parts
Core 2 Quad rig: $700-$900 bucks with most everything being new.

If you're working on a tight budget, then the Core 2 Quad Q9550 would be the route to go for a system that will last you at least 3-5 years depending on use if you overclock it a bit.

FabCam

Hey dudes, I just want to post some of the specs of a comp I'm about to order to see if I can run good games:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q8200 (2.33Ghz, 4MB, 1333MHz)
4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
DUAL SLI 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT card
Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio

I'm not a huge PC gamer, but I want to be able to run Crysis (not at highest specs) and Vavle stuff (at high specs) plus MMO's. Good enough specs?

FabCam

VictimOfGrief said:
if you can swing the 9550 vs the 8200, it's a better value in the long run.

I would but I'm kind of at my price limit already. Having the 8200 won't hold me back though? I'm not a heavy user of PC (mainly internet browsing and work) if that makes a difference. As Crysis seems to be the easiest way to see how good a setup is: what settings could my soon to be comp run it on?

Maaseru

Banned
Maaseru said:
Um.
I mean that when I restart it it goes back to the vista install screen and it stays on 'completing installation...' . It never finishes? any clues?
ANy got any clues on the 'completing installation...' problem. My pc just stays like stuck on that step after first reboot and I cant do anything.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Maaseru said:
ANy got any clues on the 'completing installation...' problem. My pc just stays like stuck on that step after first reboot and I cant do anything.

How long are you letting it sit? Have you tried reinstalling it from the beginning?

On an unrelated note, I dug out a 5.1 PCI sound card and put it in my system after reading about onboard audio using CPU power. I figured it was worth a shot since I already had one. Getting about 5-6 more fps in games :)

Top Bottom