• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Vieo said:
About two tweeks ago I built:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Retail

EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM

Minus the other accessories.

I slapped it all into a Twice7 case from mountainmods.com

------------

I had buyers remorse for about a week, but now I'm really loving this new build. I've been playing Crysis on high settings with no hiccups along with a slew of other PC games. I probably won't upgrade for another 7 years like I did with my last PC. So far it's been worth it. I'll probably pick up BioShock and Fallout 3 this Saturday, but I can't decide if I should go with the PC version or the PS3 version of BioShock.

Yea, I felt a tinge of buyers remorse at first as well with my similar rig. Lately I've come around, as Crysis, NWN2(sans shadows), Lich King, and Witcher have reminded me how great PC gaming is after such a long hiatus.

Dying to play Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and Dragon Age next year. I am READY!

Cheeto said:
Any drawbacks to have your OS on a solid state disk? I'm thinking about getting a 32gb or 64gb for the OS + App partition and using a traditional disk for data.
I'm reviewing some sites that performance tests on those. Really it looks like Windows 7 is going to be the OS to run on a SSD, not Vista.

Cheeto said:
Any drawbacks to have your OS on a solid state disk? I'm thinking about getting a 32gb or 64gb for the OS + App partition and using a traditional disk for data.

If you get a modern SSD you should be fine in terms of lifespan but the main drawback is of course cost. If you're planning a gaming rig then 64GB for game installs is wholly inadequate these days as 10GB+ installs seem to be becoming commonplace.

When a Samsung 1TB F1 is so cheap, fast and with such abundant storage its really hard to recommend anything else unless you've got lots of money you mst burn.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheeto said:
Only to have it boot so fast you can't do anything else.

The write management for SSD's is for the most part fine. You have a lot of time before you hit that max. Intel is the only one that has a whole magical solution to this though.

I'd wait until price drops on Intel's SSD as the others have some issues that suck when they happen. (Hanging, pauses, etc). You can take a look at Anandtech's 23 page article on the state of SSD, it's only a month or 2 old.

Tarin02543

I'm definitely holding out until windows 7, I'll be building myself a nice iCore/ddr3/ssd box.

my current set up is still my 7 year old Athlon2000+ :)

Cheeto

brain_stew said:
If you get a modern SSD you should be fine in terms of lifespan but the main drawback is of course cost. If you're planning a gaming rig then 64GB for game installs is wholly inadequate these days as 10GB+ installs seem to be becoming commonplace.

When a Samsung 1TB F1 is so cheap, fast and with such abundant storage its really hard to recommend anything else unless you've got lots of money you mst burn.
I'm a little wary to jump on the mega storage bandwagon yet. I think the sweet spot is in the 500gb range. With 1TB drives, the data is packed so tight that you run into so many sector errors, and that makes me worry about the drive's health over time.
Hazaro said:
Only to have it boot so fast you can't do anything else.

The write management for SSD's is for the most part fine. You have a lot of time before you hit that max. Intel is the only one that has a whole magical solution to this though.

I'd wait until price drops on Intel's SSD as the others have some issues that suck when they happen. (Hanging, pauses, etc). You can take a look at Anandtech's 23 page article on the state of SSD, it's only a month or 2 old.
I'll have to read some more, but weren't the stuttering issues resolved by disabling or crippling the page file? I thought I read something along those lines a while back, and it made perfect sense why it'd work.

Minsc

Gold Member
brain_stew said:

Wouldn't you just get both?

A SSD for the OS, and a huge drive for everything else? One of those nifty self-mirroring 1 TB+ drives, so that if it crashes nothing actually happens. That would be my approach. It's too expensive to buy 1+ TBs of SSDs right now.

Tarin02543 said:
I'm definitely holding out until windows 7, I'll be building myself a nice iCore/ddr3/ssd box.

my current set up is still my 7 year old Athlon2000+ :)

I'm starting to think this is the most intelligent course of action for someone looking to build a new gaming PC in 2009.

Edit: We'll see DX11 cards out in 2009 as well right?

zoku88

Minsc said:

A SSD for the OS, and a huge drive for everything else? One of those nifty self-mirroring 1 TB+ drives, so that if it crashes nothing actually happens. That would be my approach. It's too expensive to buy 1+ TBs of SSDs right now.
This is what I plan on doing.

I originally was going to build a rig this winter, but I spent too much money over the semester so I'll delay it to fall or something. By that time, SSDs will be much cheaper, I could prolly even afford one of those Intel SSDs :lol

Although, boot time was a bit.. odd for Intel's, so maybe Id go with one of Samsung's that is just releasing now.

Minsc

Gold Member
VictimOfGrief said:
Correct, DX11 cards will hit Q2/Q3 of '09.

Man, so many reasons not to build a new box Q1/Q2.

Although I suppose it will probably be a year or two before games use DX11 in a significant way, so in reality it's going to make more sense to buy a DX10 card and just upgrade to the DX11 card later on when they're 1/4 the price and actually used by more than two games.

SSD prices are sure to come down, but it still sort of feels like laptop/specialty tech to me. A properly tuned XP/Vista installation has no problems coming up to speed very quickly on boot, and most of the reviews of the Intel drives haven't shown a real gaming benefit.

It will cut down on noise, but I game with good headphones anyway. So it sort of seems that heat and longevity are more of an issue, but for that you have the proper case airflow you need already for your overclock, and only the stoopids don't use a free online backup service for the really important docs and don't have a set of DVDs stashed away at their workplace with their photos.

So yeah I'm just not seeing the SSD thing in my desktop. Maybe Windows 7 performance boosts might make it worth it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fragamemnon said:
SSD prices are sure to come down, but it still sort of feels like laptop/specialty tech to me. A properly tuned XP/Vista installation has no problems coming up to speed very quickly on boot, and most of the reviews of the Intel drives haven't shown a real gaming benefit.

It will cut down on noise, but I game with good headphones anyway. So it sort of seems that heat and longevity are more of an issue, but for that you have the proper case airflow you need already for your overclock, and only the stoopids don't use a free online backup service for the really important docs and don't have a set of DVDs stashed away at their workplace with their photos.

So yeah I'm just not seeing the SSD thing in my desktop. Maybe Windows 7 performance boosts might make it worth it.

Don't SSDs basically never break due to no moving parts?

I'm sure the benefit in gaming is just in load time, not FPS rating. Probably cuts load times in half.

zoku88

Minsc said:
Don't SSDs basically never break due to no moving parts?

I'm sure the benefit in gaming is just in load time, not FPS rating. Probably cuts load times in half.
Flash has limited write cycles.

SSDs are good for another reason, though. HDDs always have to rev up. And OSs tend to not keep HDDs spinning since it could lead them to break sooner.

SDDs don't have this rev time, so accessing a file is just as fast as accessing that file at any time.

That and there's very little seek time.

rc213

Minsc said:

I'm starting to think this is the most intelligent course of action for someone looking to build a new gaming PC in 2009.

Edit: We'll see DX11 cards out in 2009 as well right?

Link please?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zoku88 said:
Flash has limited write cycles.
SSDs are good for another reason, though. HDDs always have to rev up. And OSs tend to not keep HDDs spinning since it could lead them to break sooner.
SDDs don't have this rev time, so accessing a file is just as fast as accessing that file at any time.
That and there's very little seek time.
Limited writes don't matter unless you plan on using it for 40 years. Intel's devised a magical assortment system. Even on other makers, the life is still quite long.

Random access times of 0.08ms compares to 12.8ms help as well. :D

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
VictimOfGrief said:
Went out to Newegg and just built this:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136218
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$74.99

ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814121272
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant
$30.00 Mail-in Rebate
$169.99
$149.99

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817341012
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$25.00 Instant
$30.00 Mail-in Rebate
$79.99
$54.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231122
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
$49.99
$39.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116488
Return Policy: Software Return Policy
$99.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115037
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811129021
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

Total $664.93

The Wolfdale chip + Antec case were combo'ed for a discount. You can sub in other parts but that rig right there will get you 30+FPS on Crysis just fine.
Thanks I see a lot of cost saving in there to get it down to almost $420. He should be quite pleased.

Tain

Hey guys!

I've got around 400 bucks. I've got a case, power supply, HD, and optical drive that I'm happy with.

Anyone wanna suggest a new motherboard, CPU, video card, and ram?

$400 is not much, I know, but I'd like to stop using this Athlon XP 3200.

a1m

Banned
Tain said:
Hey guys!

I've got around 400 bucks. I've got a case, power supply, HD, and optical drive that I'm happy with.

Anyone wanna suggest a new motherboard, CPU, video card, and ram?

$400 is not much, I know, but I'd like to stop using this Athlon XP 3200.

Intel E5200/E7200 and then OC it, P43-chipset mobo, HD4830/4850 and 2x2GB DDR2 - there.

zoku88

Hazaro said:
Limited writes don't matter unless you plan on using it for 40 years. Intel's devised a magical assortment system. Even on other makers, the life is still quite long.

Random access times of 0.08ms compares to 12.8ms help as well. :D
Wait, limited writes does matter.... I mean, if you can't write anymore.... that's pretty bad...

NIghtWolf

Hey could anybody help me? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wYIuO6M_U

My System specs:

Asus p5k (PCI 1.0 x16)
PSU 500 watts (forgot the brand > but is not bad)
Core duo e2200
1GB x 2 Corsair
as for graphics i been using a Nvidia 8600gts

My new Ati HD 4850 shows weird patterns and lines across the screen. With new I mean that I just opened the box and installed it on the PC and it's been showing the crazy patters, I got it from ebay "supposedly new". I put the video showing it so you can tell me what kind of problem the card could have..i just want to know what to tell the seller when returning it. BTW I forgot to tell you that I tried with: HDMI, DVI and COMPONENT and all of them had the same pattern, I also tried with two monitors at the same time and it showed them in both.

I didn't want to make a thread as you can see but i really wanted to be sure that the card is dead and how happened (if possible), I hope you can help me with it.

Thanks

Tain

a1m said:
Intel E5200/E7200 and then OC it, P43-chipset mobo, HD4830/4850 and 2x2GB DDR2 - there.

How's this lookin:

Core 2 Duo E7200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052&Tpk=intel e7200

$119.99

BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138122

$89.99, $69.99 post rebate.

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770

$159.99, $144.99 post rebate.

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

$54.99, $24.99 post rebate.

Thanks, btw.

NIghtWolf said:

Yep, that card is definitely DOA. The memory is fried. No idea how it could have happened but sometimes DOA cards make it out to customers.

That's the classic checkerboard pattern of a card which someone overclocked the memory too much and it eventually couldn't handle it anymore. In this case someone at the factory should have caught on the card had bad memory during the QA process.

a1m

Banned
Tain said:
How's this lookin:

Core 2 Duo E7200

$119.99

BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7

Thanks, btw.

Looking better than I thought. I would personally go with that!

zoku88

NIghtWolf said:
Hey could anybody help me? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wYIuO6M_U

My System specs:

Asus p5k (PCI 1.0 x16)
PSU 500 watts (forgot the brand > but is not bad)
Core duo e2200
1GB x 2 Corsair
as for graphics i been using a Nvidia 8600gts

My new Ati HD 4850 shows weird patterns and lines across the screen. With new I mean that I just opened the box and installed it on the PC and it's been showing the crazy patters, I got it from ebay "supposedly new". I put the video showing it so you can tell me what kind of problem the card could have..i just want to know what to tell the seller when returning it. BTW I forgot to tell you that I tried with: HDMI, DVI and COMPONENT and all of them had the same pattern, I also tried with two monitors at the same time and it showed them in both.

I didn't want to make a thread as you can see but i really wanted to be sure that the card is dead and how happened (if possible), I hope you can help me with it.

Thanks
Can you describe these patterns more? Is it like, certain textures being stretched and whatnot?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers?

a1m

Banned
zoku88 said:
Can you describe these patterns more? Is it like, certain textures being stretched and whatnot?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers?

Check the youtube-video :b

Vormund

zoku88 said:
Wait, limited writes does matter.... I mean, if you can't write anymore.... that's pretty bad...

First of all you should back up any important data. (moot since it will still be there, just not able to overwrite)

Secondly, by the time you couldn't write to it anymore the PC will be outdated and the size of the drive would be laughably small/useless.

zoku88

a1m said:
Check the youtube-video :b
Not sure how I managed to read everything else and not that ^^

EDIT: Omg, wtf is going on? o_O Uhm. Take it out and put it back in. And reinstall drivers.

Vormund said:
First of all you should back up any important data.

Secondly, by the time you couldn't write to it anymore the PC will be outdated and the size of the drive would be laughably small/useless.
Well, I was just objecting to that one posters point that they never 'stop working' And it actually happens much sooner than you expect. That mean time for failure doesnt actually take into account the limited write cycles. It actually is determined the same what HDDs are.

Tain

a1m said:
Looking better than I thought. I would personally go with that!

Thanks! Probably gonna order tonight.

Can you give me any kind of performance estimates from this thing? Crysis-meter?

I've been out of the loop so long.

a1m

Banned
Tain said:
Thanks! Probably gonna order tonight.

Can you give me any kind of performance estimates from this thing? Crysis-meter?

I've been out of the loop so long.

Well Crysis is always Crysis but I think it'll be still pretty playable with med-settings. I bet you'll be able to play all the new games, if not with huge resolutions and high-settings but with something to make you smile : )

Tain

Sounds pretty good. Medium at 720p would be fine for me, and it sounds like that's almost considered a low resolution these days.

Next month I'll be building my new PC; first one since 2002. This is gonna be primarily for intensive gaming and heavy Photoshop/Illustrator/Painter/Flash/etc., and occasional HD video.

I'm currently looking at building it off the following parts. Prices aren't final (will be buying some parts at B&M cheaper, some rebates aren't included) but it's a ballpark estimate and I'm not looking to spend more than $950.

-COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Case - $49.99

-CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W PSU - $119.99 (Pretty pricey at Newegg but my local Micro Center carries it for about $80)

-EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard - $189.99

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz - $184.99

-EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Video Card - Superclocked Edition - $229.99

-OCZ Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz RAM - $24.99 (buying 2 packs for 8GB RAM total)

I already own a 300GB internal HD and a 1TB external so I doubt I'll buy any new ones. I'll be purchasing Vista 64-bit Home Premium for about $100. I haven't checked prices at my school but it may be cheaper with the student discount.

If anyone has any opinions/suggestions on this build or see anything wrong with it please feel free to comment, it'd be much appreciated. Really looking forward to playing Dawn of War 2 on this one, hoping it can do something nasty to that game. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you are doing CPU intensive and not going SLi, get an intel based motherboard. Cheaper too.
nVidia boards also don't like quads much, so if you decide to OC later you won't get too far.

*That 4850 is busted too, good luck on the return.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I may go SLI a few months after but I haven't completely decided yet. Though I wouldn't mind stuffing another GTX 260 in there. Personally I've never been much of an overclocker. I've looked at only 3 or 4 motherboards in depth so I'll keep an open eye. Any suggestions you can think of off the top of your head?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pai Pai Master said:
Thanks, I'll look into that. I may go SLI a few months after but I haven't completely decided yet. Though I wouldn't mind stuffing another GTX 260 in there. Personally I've never been much of an overclocker. I've looked at only 3 or 4 motherboards in depth so I'll keep an open eye. Any suggestions you can think of off the top of your head?
Asus P5Q
Gigabyte DS3 or P35

Both $60 cheaper.

You can always grab a GTX 295 if you want to upgrade. ;)

burgerdog

I need help gaf. I wanted this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337&Tpk=GIGABYTE P35 but it is out of stock. So I ordered a different one(same brand) and it ended up being some VRD 1.11 thing http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2843 which is incompatible with my cpu. So I'm looking to buy the same mobo from the newegg link from another online retailer, do you guys know of any other sites from which I can order? Amazon's price is about $100 more than newegg so that's a no-go. Or if that doesn't work, what's another motherboard with similar performance/price that would be compatible with an e8400 intel cpu?

Vaporak

Tain said:
How's this lookin:

Core 2 Duo E7200

$119.99

BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7

Thanks, btw.

You have a pretty old computer by the sound of it. Is the power supply you have the one for that computer, if you I'm sorry to say that you'll need a new power supply. :(

Tain

Any suggestions on that?

I'm trying to remember what kind of power supply I have; my current PC is 2.5 hours away. I remember it being a pretty decent-to-nice one that I bought at least a year or so after building my PC.

But yeah, I got fucked over by a bad power supply prior to buying that one. How will I know what's enough?

Vaporak

Tain said:
Any suggestions on that?

I'm trying to remember what kind of power supply I have; my current PC is 2.5 hours away. I remember it being a pretty decent-to-nice one that I bought at least a year or so after building my PC.

But yeah, I got fucked over by a bad power supply prior to buying that one. How will I know what's enough?

It's not a "how much" kind of question. There was a power supply standards change back when they moved from AGP to PCI express. I recently just upgraded from an old AGP based rig and had to get a new power supply that would be compatible with everything.

mr stroke

Minsc said:
Man, so many reasons not to build a new box Q1/Q2.

Although I suppose it will probably be a year or two before games use DX11 in a significant way, so in reality it's going to make more sense to buy a DX10 card and just upgrade to the DX11 card later on when they're 1/4 the price and actually used by more than two games.

With DX11 coming and prices going way down on i7's by Q4 of 09 would you consider just waiting until Q4 and get an entire new PC with Windows 7? (I don't know of many games coming in the first half of next year that will really push games that can't handle a current 08 PC)

Minsc

Gold Member
rc213 said:
Link please?

WD Mirror Edition, hate if you will, but I think it's a great device. 2TBs for about $250, you can either RAID 0 them or RAID 1.

zoku88 said:
Well, I was just objecting to that one posters point that they never 'stop working' And it actually happens much sooner than you expect. That mean time for failure doesnt actually take into account the limited write cycles. It actually is determined the same what HDDs are.

Well, I guess you're right, literally. But I meant they don't break on you like normal HDs tend to (i think). They won't fail to spin up after a few weeks, months or years. And I think you're seriously under estimating the way they write the data across the drive. You'll live half your life before you run the drive to the ground, do you honestly think you will have any use at all for the drive 30+ years from now (if that figure is accurate)? I don't know anyone with a gaming rig 30 years old.

I highly doubt they just "stop working." They will slowly run out of sectors to rewrite too I'd think, either way, you'll likely have a much better heads up about it than a typical HD, which literally can just stop working tomorrow morning when you go to boot up your computer.

mr stroke said:
With DX11 coming and prices going way down on i7's by Q4 of 09 would you consider just waiting until Q4 and get an entire new PC with Windows 7? (I don't know of many games coming in the first half of next year that will really push games that can't handle a current 08 PC)

It's a hard call, I really should, but I guess it depends on how good the reviews for DoW2 are, and how soon Starcraft 2 and Disciples 3 come out in the year as well. :)

zoku88

Minsc said:
I highly doubt they just "stop working." They will slowly run out of sectors to rewrite too I'd think, either way, you'll likely have a much better heads up about it than a typical HD, which literally can just stop working tomorrow morning when you go to boot up your computer.
Well, sorry, that's what I meant. I didn't mean to imply that it was very sudden.

But there is no natural heads up for it, though. There's no way to tell if the number of available sectors to write to is being limited since it automatically looks for 'ok' sectors to write to.

I think Sandisk was currently making a SMART like things for SSDs, but it isn't finished.

Minsc

Gold Member
zoku88 said:
Well, sorry, that's what I meant. I didn't mean to imply that it was very sudden.

But there is no natural heads up for it, though. There's no way to tell if the number of available sectors to write to is being limited since it automatically looks for 'ok' sectors to write to.

I think Sandisk was currently making a SMART like things for SSDs, but it isn't finished.

That's actually pretty surprising to read, I honestly would have expected SSDs to really be on top of the drives integrity, and be able to keep track of just how many sectors are worn out, and give you that information when it is relevant.

Tain said:
Sounds pretty good. Medium at 720p would be fine for me, and it sounds like that's almost considered a low resolution these days.
Are we talking Crysis or Warhead?

I max out Warhead at 1680x1050 with a weaker graphics card than yours and I get 20-25 FPS average.

Medium at 720p is nothing.

rc213

How many passes are needed for Memtest? Just got my RMA from Newegg, So far it has passed 3 times. I run everything at stock 15-5-5-5 @ 1.8v.

/hugs PC

Have anybody downloaded the Cryostasis Tech demo? I averaged around 22fps on low. God my 8800GTS 320 is really showing its age. :(

Top Bottom