• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

Azih

AmMortal said:
Ah, so that explains it.:D
You are ignoring huge parts of what I've said and focused on just one word. Could you actually respond to what I've said? Instead of making up your mind about the entirety of what I think based on one word? heck I even explained why I think the way I think and you're ignoring that completely in order to run off on a tangent.

Well, can I ask you how you pray salah?

or when you pray salah?
I pray the way my family taught me to pray. Which is different in some details from the way other muslim families have taught their children how to pray.

AmMortal

Banned
Azih said:
You are ignoring huge parts of what I've said and focused on just one word. Could you actually respond to what I've said? Instead of making up your mind about the entirety of what I think based on one word? heck I even explained why I think the way I think and you're ignoring that completely in order to run off on a tangent.

I pray the way my family taught me to pray. Which is different in some details from the way other families have taught their children how to pray.

I wasn't just focusing on one word, I actually read the whole post.The reason is, if you don't believe in ahadith. I'd just be wasting yours and my time arguing, without tackeling the that issue first.

Now..

Concerning the salah, it is crucial to have the same method of prayer as the prophet(pbuh). As you are a muslim, you believe that prayer is ordained by Allah Himself. If it isn't how Allah has ordered it to be, it will surely not be accepted. How will you know, what you are doing is the right way? Allah, says many times that in the Prophet we have " An excelent example".Allah delibaretly left out the rituals of Salah ( most important after shahada), from the Qur'an.So that we should follow what the prophet did physically. Without ahadith, how will you know anything from who the Prophet Muhammad(saw) was, to what he did ? .
Ahadith are how to implement the Qur'an in your life.

Now, regardless of what you may have heard, ahadith methodology is very, very complex. Comprehensive steps are taken to insure the authencity of the texts, if even the slightest of doubt arises, the hadith is labeled weak, and thrown in the back. Hadith are from the family and companions of the Prophet Muhammad, the most of which are from Aisha (ra) his wive.

Azih

AmMortal said:
I wasn't just focusing on one word, I actually read the whole post.The reason is, if you don't believe in ahadith. I'd just be wasting yours and my time arguing, without tackeling the that issue first.
Firstly whether I believe in the Hadith or not doesn't have much to do with whether the scholarship by which the signs of the Day of judgement are interpreted are rigourous or not.

Secondly one of the reasons why I don't believe in the Hadith are noted in my posts. You're not talking about that but instead going into your salat point.

If it isn't how Allah has ordered it to be, it will surely not be accepted.
I do not know what God will or will not accept. The only one who does know what God will or will not accept is God himself. And we will find out what that is after we die.
Without ahadith, how will you know anything from who the Prophet Muhammad(saw) was, to what he did ? .
Nothing for certain because what we know of the Prophet (pbuh) comes from fallible and imperfect human history filtered through the mutterings of more than a century of fallible and imperfect human scholars. The Quran on the other hand is of divine source (I believe).

Now, regardless of what you may have heard, ahadith methodology is very, very complex.
Complexity is not an indication of accuracy or rigour.
Comprehensive steps are taken to insure the authencity of the texts,
What are these comprehensive steps? Who takes them?
if even the slightest of doubt arises,
As determined by who?

Hadith are from the family and companions of the Prophet Muhammad
Considering that the family and companions of the Prophet Muhammad started disagreeing with each other right after the Prophet died I am not very impressed by that. Some give more credence to the indirectly transmitted traditions of Ali, some give more credence to the indirectly transmitted traditions of Aisha. I'd rather give no credence to any of it as a basis of religion.

AmMortal

Banned
Azih said:
Firstly whether I believe in the Hadith or not doesn't have much to do with whether the scholarship by which the signs of the Day of judgement are interpreted are rigourous or not.

Secondly one of the reasons why I don't believe in the Hadith are noted in my posts. You're not talking about that but instead going into your salat point.

I do not know what God will or will not accept. The only one who does know what God will or will not accept is God himself. And we will find out what that is after we die.
Nothing for certain because what we know of the Prophet (pbuh) comes from fallible and imperfect human history filtered through the mutterings of more than a century of fallible and imperfect human scholars. he Quran on the other hand is of divine source (I believe).

Complexity is not an indication of accuracy or rigour. What are these comprehensive steps? Who takes them? As determined by who?

Considering that the family and companions of the Prophet Muhammad started disagreeing with each other right after the Prophet died I am not very impressed by that. Some give more credence to the indirectly transmitted traditions of Ali, some give more credence to the indirectly transmitted traditions of Aisha. I'd rather give no credence to any of it as a basis of religion.

The disagreements arose after the reign of Abubakr (ra). Which wasn't right after the death of the prophet.

Like it or not, Hadiths are the very authentification of the Qur'an being the Word as it was revealed to the prophet. Meaning that, if it weren't for ahadith, the Qur'an would have been subject to fierce arguments based on alterations. Rejecting hadith is a fallacy that results in the subconcious rejection of the authencity of the Qur'an itself. Due to hadith we can coincide what the prophet preached and his actions with the Qur'an as it is today, and vice versa.

More:

11-1 الر كتاب احكمت اياته ثم فصلت من لدن حكيم خبير

The term Fusilat shows that the Qur'an was explained,but if we dont believe in the hadith, then we cannot accept this verse. Because the Qur'an doesn't explain itself.

75-19

إِنَّ عَلَيْنَا جَمْعَهُ وَقُرْآنَهُ
فَإِذَا قَرَأْنَاهُ فَاتَّبِعْ قُرْآنهَ
ثُمَّ إِنَّ عَلَيْنَا بَيَانَهُ

same idea here...

AmMortal said:
Oh, by the way,Muslims invented the guitar!
Which is why it's so prevalent in spanish culture.
/OT

Well, it sounds like the guitar existed in various forms long before Islam itself was invented. But it does sound like the guitar did come from the mid-east. Certainly a great contribution to humanity.

Wiki said:
Before the development of the electric guitar and the use of synthetic materials, a guitar was defined as being an instrument having "a long, fretted neck, flat wooden soundboard, ribs, and a flat back, most often with incurved sides".[1] Instruments similar to the guitar have been popular for at least 5,000 years. The six string classical guitar first appeared in Spain but was itself the product of a long and complex history of diverse influences. Like virtually all other stringed European instruments, the guitar ultimately traces back thousands of years, via the Middle East, to a common ancient origin from instruments then known in central Asia and India. It is therefore very distantly related with contemporary instruments such as the Iranian tanbur and setar and the Indian sitar. The oldest known iconographic representation of an instrument displaying all the essential features of a guitar being played is a 3,300 year old stone carving of a Hittite bard.[2] The modern word, guitar, was adopted into English from Spanish guitarra, derived from the Arabic qitara[3] and Latin cithara, which in turn was derived from the earlier Greek word kithara,[4] which perhaps derives from Persian sihtar.[5] Sihtar itself is related to the Indian instrument, the sitar.

CHYME said:
You realize that just about every little thing in this world can serve as a distraction from God? The key is moderation.
Kitten-in-headphones.gif
:D

Linkhero1

Azih said:
I pray the way my family taught me to pray. Which is different in some details from the way other muslim families have taught their children how to pray.
How would one pray without a basic guideline? How did your family learn how to pray?

I thought this article might be of interest:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/26/AR2008092603956.html?hpid=topnews

Young Saudis Reinvent Ramadan
Holy Month Devoted to Self-Sacrifice Instead of Self-Absorption

By Faiza Saleh Ambah
Washington Post Foreign Service
Saturday, September 27, 2008; A13

JIDDAH, Saudi Arabia -- During Ramadan this year, Faten Jiddawi and a few friends from a charity packed into a hot van and delivered a new washing machine and refrigerator to a needy family.

Like many Saudis, Jiddawi used to mark the Muslim holy month by shopping, eating lavishly and watching television until the wee hours. Then she slept, sometimes all day until sunset prayers signaled the end of the daily dawn-to-dusk fast.

"That's what everyone did, but that's not really fasting," said Jiddawi, 28, a bank teller. "Fasting is about feeling your hunger, getting close to God and helping the poor."

In Saudi Arabia, one of the world's wealthiest Muslim countries, some people have started to criticize how many here observe Ramadan by essentially turning day into night to make fasting easier. Work and school hours have been shortened, shops stay open until right before dawn, and doctors and dentists offer appointments until 2 a.m.

But Jiddawi and many other young Saudis are trying to revive the holy month's original spirit of sacrifice and giving by volunteering during the day, attending religious lectures at night and spending more time reflecting on their faith.

"This is a religious duty, what we're doing," Jiddawi said. "And it's a wonderful feeling. This is really how Ramadan is meant to be."

Azih

AmMortal said:
The disagreements arose after the reign of Abubakr (ra). Which wasn't right after the death of the prophet.
Nooo, the entire Sunni/Shia split arose precisely because of who should reign after the prophet died. And even if you don't accept that (though I have no idea why you wouldn't) Abu Bark died 2 years after the Prophet and so there were around 198 years of disagreements and eventually fighting after which Bukhari wrote down his work.

Like it or not, Hadiths are the very authentification of the Qur'an being the Word as it was revealed to the prophet.
Our sources for the Hadith are 200 years after the Quran.
Meaning that, if it weren't for ahadith, the Qur'an would have been subject to fierce arguments based on alterations.
Again, the Hadiths we have are like four generations removed from the source and have nothing to do with the Quran.
Rejecting hadith is a fallacy that results in the subconcious rejection of the authencity of the Qur'an itself.
That is complete, total, utter, unsubstantiated bull.

The Quran nowhere says that we should accept what was written down by humans 200 years after the Prophet died based on the oral memory of two centuries of other humans.

Azih

Linkhero1 said:
How would one pray without a basic guideline? How did your family learn how to pray?
From their parents. Which has nothing to do with the fact that there are plenty of disagreements on exactly how muslims should pray and thus using prayer as some sort of example of the greatness of the Hadith doesn't hold at all.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Azih said:
From their parents. Which has nothing to do with the fact that there are plenty of disagreements on exactly how muslims should pray and thus using prayer as some sort of example of the greatness of the Hadith doesn't hold at all.

The idea of praying incorrectly always seemed silly to me. If I didn't wash the right amount of times, or recite the proper amount of surah's at the right time of the day, it has less value.

Azih

Kinitari said:
The idea of praying incorrectly always seemed silly to me. If I didn't wash the right amount of times, or recite the proper amount of surah's at the right time of the day, it has less value.
Hell people kill each other over this kind of stuff.

Anyone here planning to attend?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,583132,00.html

A Muhammed look-a-like competition is slated to take place during the Frankfurt Book Fair, and it has already offended and outraged people far beyond Germany. But Titanic, the monthly satirical magazine behind the inflamatory event, insists: "It will be a blast."

Titanic, the German satire magazine, is never far from polemics, but its latest action takes its reputation for controversy to new heights: It is staging a Muhammed look-a-like competition -- and has invited the Turkish President Abdullah Gül to take part.

Turkish newspapers were quick to react to the "unbelievable competition," which is to be held parallel to the Frankfurt Book Fair, where Turkey will be the guest country this year. The popular Turkish daily Sabah drew parallels with the infamous Muhammed cartoons published in Denmark's Jyllands-Posten newspaper in 2005, which sparked death threats and protests across the Muslim world, with some escalating into violence.

According to its Web site, however, Titanic is going ahead with its look-alike contest: "Come along to the most dangerous event of the Frankfurt Book Fair ... It will be a blast," it wrote. The competition, to be held on Oct. 18, is set to take place on a specially built stage at the state-funded Caricatura Museum in Frankfurt. Achim Frenz, head of the museum, said it was designed to test of the boundaries of "jokes and fun." The museum's Web site comments: "Of course it is a sin to represent the prophet. For this reason, we are trying to do something exceptional."

Nine participants are expected to take part, including Osman Engin, a Turkish-German satirist, and Hans Zippert, a prominent columnist for the conservative daily Die Welt. During the competition there will be readings from the Koran and participants will be encouraged mimic the Muslim prophet. "Of course you can never create a picture of the prophet," the magazine claims in a flyer advertising the event, "but you can try to emulate him."

Titanic, the German equivalent of Britain's Private Eye, has a track record of inflamatory stunts, including hoax bribery faxes sent in 2000 to delegates of the FIFA soccer world championship committee, urging them to support the German bid for the 2006 World Cup. In return for their votes, Titanic offered gifts of a cuckoo clock and Black Forest ham. Titanic also founded its own political party, Die Partei (the party), which lists the rebuilding of the Berlin Wall as one of its goals.

0,1020,1322034,00.jpg

Zapages

I am getting so tired of these racist Europeans who think its alright to diss Islam, but oh no if you diss any other religion ie. Judaism... >:

What has Islam done to them... Islam is about mercy of God...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So, I've been wanting some reading material lately and being that I'm Muslim and haven't read the Qu'ran yet, I figured I'd buy me a copy. It comes in next week, pretty excited to dive in. I'm not reading this to become more religious or gain some new perspective in life or anything moving like that. Most of my desire to read it comes from the fact that I haven't read it and all the things that comes along with that.

Yazan

Praying rugs is a good idea, get one with a compass (that directs to Mecca). Good luck my friend.

What happened to AmMortal? Why did he get banned?

DSWii60

Himuro said:
Thanksgiving break is in two weeks, when I will convert at a nearby Mosque at home.

Anything I should know at all? Like prayer rugs, or what to say during prayer, or anything? Are prayer rugs in the home even necessary? I'd like to know this stuff so that I don't feel like a complete fool when I'm by myself trying to get this all together later this month.

I'm going to stay the same old me; I'm going to keep my name, I'm not going to grow a beard, and I'm not going to stop listening to or playing music because that's just pure idiocy. No one has convinced me weed is haram either. I'll just add another piece to my identity. Can't wait though, I'm actually pretty nervous.

Thanks.

Sorry, you might have addressed this before, but I'm just wondering the reason(s) why you are converting? What is it that attracts you to Islam for example?

And the reason people say weed is haram is because of possible detrimental effects to your health. But then to be honest a lot of Muslims smoke sheesha and it can also be bad for your health.

Getting a prayer rug is probably a good idea (get one like Yazan said, with a compass). It's not necessary at all, but I certainly prefer using one.

Himuro said:
Thanksgiving break is in two weeks, when I will convert at a nearby Mosque at home.

Lord Vishnu will be disappointed.

I'm going to stay the same old me; I'm going to keep my name, I'm not going to grow a beard, and I'm not going to stop listening to or playing music because that's just pure idiocy. No one has convinced me weed is haram either. I'll just add another piece to my identity. Can't wait though, I'm actually pretty nervous.

Thanks.

Cafeteria Muslim?

Then why bother to convert, if you can pick and choose what you like?

SUPREME1

Banned
Azih said:
I'm going to have to go with Vito on this one, what you're saying now is *significantly* different from your initial claim of Muslims inventing the guitar.

This.

Quit the dramatics guys, they clearly did not invent it. They made modifications/improvements to it, along with others. This places them in the same group as contributors.

Himuro said:
How does that make you a cafeteria muslim and how does revolve around picking and choosing?

1. changing your name is not required
2. neither is growing a beard
3. music being "not allowed" isn't even official

None of these things have anything to do with being muslim. I don't recall anywhere in the Qur'an it saying that either of these things was required.

If so clear cut, why the need to make a big statement on what you're not going to do.

Edit: your own edit cleared that out a bit.

vareon

Himuro is converting to Islam? Why, welcome! :D

And yes, definitely stay who you are. Too many converts I knew start by growing beards, which makes little sense to me. And while I'm a Moslem since birth I don't even have an Islamic name. Heck, I even think your knowledge of Qur'an is superior than me. I should study more ;_;

DSWii60

Himuro said:

Thanks for the answer. I myself although I was born as a Muslim have also investigated other religions (though not to the extent you have) to see whether there is something which appeals to me more than Islam. Couldn't find one.

With regards to marijuana, I was simply trying to come up with reasons for the other point of view, although I don't really have a solid opinion on the matter.

DSWii60 said:
Thanks for the answer. I myself although I was born as a Muslim have also investigated other religions (though not to the extent you have) to see whether there is something which appeals to me more than Islam. Couldn't find one.

With regards to marijuana, I was simply trying to come up with reasons for the other point of view, although I don't really have a solid opinion on the matter.

I wonder how the illicit trade of pot and those who take part in it sit with Islam. :D

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Himuro said:
2. The thing about marijauna is that while it contains negative effects, like pretty much every thing else in life, it also contains good ones such as enhancing the senses and the ability to create. Also, unlike smoking cigs or alcohol, you can't exactly die from it. There are zero cases of death from marijuana for the most part. While under the influence of weed you still have control of your mental processes as well, quite unlike alcohol, which Islam is entirely against because it incapicitates the user's ability to think, marijuana does no such thing. It also causes no sign of phsyical addiction. Finally, unlike other drugs marijuana isn't created by man. I've read and read about what some muslims think about marijuana and every single time I've been delivered misinformation from people ignorant towards it. If Islam has taught me anything it's the lesson of moderation. From my own experience, I see nothing explicitly harmful about marijuana so long as someone partakes in a mature manner. Similarly, we might as well ban video games and soda, they cause bad effects as well.

Don't know if anyone's said this already, but anything you take for recreational use that will cause you to go under the influence and lose control of your body is considered haraam.

Anyways, I don't care if you're choosing to be a sunni or a shia (they're both basically the same anyways), just as long as you're becoming a muslim, I'm really happy with the decision that you came to, and congrats! :D

I know a few muslim converts (reverts), and my advice is basically to take things slow and steady until you're comfortable with it all. Chances are that you'll end up becoming a better muslim than most muslims who were born muslims.

Ydahs

Nice to hear you're converting Himuro. Welcome to the religion of peace :D.

How did AmMortal get banned? Is he perm'd like castle007?

Himuro said:
1. Yes, I've addressed it. There are multiple reasons.

First of all, the biggest reason, is the Qur'an. Its prose inspired me. It inspired me to actually start attempting to do better in life and realize that there are some things that just aren't that important in life such as the internet. My internet addiction has decreased tremendously since reading the Qur'an. My attitude on life in general has changed from reading the Qur'an - these days I tend to walk with my back straight, head held high.

Secondly, when upon reading the Qur'an there were more times than I could count where I was nodding my head, agreeing with every word said. Likewise, whenever I read any book related to Islam - as I have read many in the past two years of study of the subject - I find myself not really having the need to adjust my own temperment; the philosohpies taught by the religion are ones I've had growing up. For example, I've never bought into or could really comprehend the concept of the trinity. Growing up in a christian household was just odd for me because I always believed in a God, I just couldn't believe in the faith I prescribed to once a week.

Third, I have been reading on numerous religions for the past 3 years. I have read the Ramayana, the Muhabharata, various texts related to Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam and more. I've been on a spiritual journey for the past few years and the only religion - and even philosophies that don't revolve around religious rite at all - that made any sense to me, was Islam.

Finally, the fact that Islam is a total submission to God is the most appealing aspect next to the beauty of the Qur'an. I've never understood praying to the "son" of God. That never made sense at all to me. Praying to God directly is what I've always done, so the fact that Islam places emphasis in this area just makes it even more appealing.

2. The thing about marijauna is that while it contains negative effects, like pretty much every thing else in life, it also contains good ones such as enhancing the senses and the ability to create. Also, unlike smoking cigs or alcohol, you can't exactly die from it. There are zero cases of death from marijuana for the most part. While under the influence of weed you still have control of your mental processes as well, quite unlike alcohol, which Islam is entirely against because it incapicitates the user's ability to think, marijuana does no such thing. It also causes no sign of phsyical addiction. Finally, unlike other drugs marijuana isn't created by man. I've read and read about what some muslims think about marijuana and every single time I've been delivered misinformation from people ignorant towards it. If Islam has taught me anything it's the lesson of moderation. From my own experience, I see nothing explicitly harmful about marijuana so long as someone partakes in a mature manner. Similarly, we might as well ban video games and soda, they cause bad effects as well.

I have to disagree with what you said about Marijuana. The current scientific consensus is that there is a degree of addiction. Furthermore, it contains class 1 carcinogens (molecules known to cause cancer in humans). One of the primary arguments the pro-weed movement makes is that no study shows it causes cancer. This is true, but just as true is that there is no study demonstrating that drinking hydrofluoric acid will kill you. We infer its truthfulness from our knowledge of the toxicity of its composition. I quickly looked up a few studies on PubMed and found this excerpt on cannibanoids; "In end-stage liver disease, the endocannabinoid system has been shown to contribute to hepatic encephalopathy and vascular effects, such as portal hypertension, splanchnic vasodilatation, relative peripheral hypotension and probably cirrhotic cardiomyopathy."
"However, recent studies have shown the contribution of cannabis smoking to the progression of liver fibrosis and steatosis."

There's much deeper chemical arguments about the toxicity of marijuana but I won't get into them now, especially since you make the argument that the point is moot if done in moderation. I just dislike hearing something which I generally consider untrue and is easily disproven. (To clarify; That marijuana does carry a risk of addiction and serious disease higher than that one would normally be exposed too)

What I really wanted to comment on though was you're conversion to Islam. It sounds like you're life has really gotten better since reading the Qu'ran and that's good for you. I think however the most important final test of you faith can be this. Question your beliefs as hard as you possibly can to try to prove the ideas wrong. If the ideas of what you say you believe can withstand that, then you're faith will be very strong.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Ydahs said:
Nice to hear you're converting Himuro. Welcome to the religion of peace :D.

Is that an absolute opinion overall of islam and to those who consider themselves muslim throughout the world?

Also, don't know why Himuro is converting but congratz!
;)

Jeff-DSA

Himuro said:
Why is that?

In many religions, converts tend to appreciate what they have more. You have the advantage of comparing your life before and after conversion, so you know what it's like to be without it.

AmMortal said:
"Islam is just another copy!"

Firstly ,please understand that Islam is what used to be the early Judaism of Moses ( Moses never called his way "judaism" rather a submission) and the Nazaratism of Jesus the true monotheistic way, before certain and proven alterations of Paul and others had taken place.

Muhammad is prophecised in the old testament:

The Lord said to me [Moses]: ‘What they say is good. I will raise up for them a Prophet like you among their brothers; I will put My words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. If anyone does not listen to My words that the Prophet speaks in My Name, I will Myself call him to account.’ (Deuteronomy, 18.17-9)

"brothers referes to the early Qurayshi's some of whom were born of Abraham through Ishmeal) ( much like Isreali's were born of Isaac)

Notice the " In My name", every Surah in the Quran starts with:

In The Name of Allah Most Gracious,Most Merciful

So God restored it once again through the prophet born of Abraham through Ismail( (Ishmeal which means God heard).

I don't have questions, I'm just going to clarify the OP claims here. I'll highlight a few things and tell you which chapters to read for the full story.

Gen 16
2: So Sarai said to Abram, "Now behold the Lord has prevented me from bearing children. Please go in to my maid; perhaps I will obtain children through her." and Abram listened to the voice of Sarai.
4: He went in to Hagar, and she concieved; and when she saw that she conceived, her mistress (Sarai) was despised in her sight.
(She flees from her presence)
9: Then the angel of the Lord said to her, "Return to your mistress, and submit yourself to her authority."
11: Behold, you are with child, and you will bear a son; and you shall call his name Ishmael, because the Lord has given heed to your affliction. He will be a wild donkey of man, His hand will be against everyone, and everyone's hand will be against him; and he will live to the east of all his brothers

Then(This is key here) God changed their names and also told them whats going on
Gen 17
5: No longer shall you name be called Abram, But you name shall be Abraham; for I will make you the father of a multitude of nations.
15: The God said to Abraham, "As for Sarai you wife, you shall not call he rname Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name.
16: I will bless her, and indeed I will give you a son by her. Then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations, kings of peoples will come from her (this is important)
18: and Abraham said to God, "Oh that Ishmael might live before You!"
19" But God said, "No, but Sarah you wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his name Issac; I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.
20: As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him exceedinly. He shall become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation
21: but My covenant I will establish with Issac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this season next year."

I can go on and on about how God didn't favor the ancestors of Islam. There is like maybe 4 or 5 stories.

As far as Moses goes. He was a prophet by he also disobeyed God by not doing what God told him on how to draw water out of the Rock. He died before getting to the Land of Israel, and the Islam perspective is to blame the Israelite followers. Which makes no sense. They ALL disobeyed God despite all the miracles he did. Uh, theres a pillar of fire there, you think thats normal? They didn't do what God told them to do, thats why they wandered in the desert for 40 years, but God provided for them. God allowed many nations in history to take over Israel because simply they turned away from God. This happens MANY times. Its like normal to them. As far as prophets, the only ones you should be concerned with is the ones from Israel. There is no implication at all that any prophet comes from Ishmael's descendants. Who appeared at the transfiguration? Moses and Elijah. Right there beside Jesus, and what happened? They disappeared, and God spoke in one of the few and rare cases to MULTIPLE PEOPLE and told them to Listen to him (refering to Jesus). I love it!

0,1020,1274802,00.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,589954,00.html

Kurt Westergaard, the Danish caricaturist forced into hiding after the publication of his depiction of the Prophet Muhammad in the newspaper Jyllands-Posten in 2005, is set to return with a new set of potentially controversial drawings.

According to a report in the Copenhagen Post, Westergaard is expected to have 26 illustrations in a new book that compiles the sardonic columns by Danish writer Lars Hedegaard for the Berlingske Tidende newspaper.

The paper writes that one of the drawings in the book features former Danish Foreign Minister Uffe Ellemann-Jensen, who spoke out against the original Muhammad cartoons, kneeling with an inkwell that reads "freedom of expression." A black-bearded man with a bomb in his turban is peering out of the inkwell. Writer Hedegaard told the paper there was "no intention to depict the so-called prophet," but that people could always interpret drawings in different ways. He said he expected no backlash as a result of the publication.

Westergaard, 73, was forced to go into hiding under protection from the official state secret service agency PET and had to live in safe houses after a plot to kill him was uncovered. Last summer he returned home, though he still remains under protection.

The cartoonist has repeatedly stated that he has no regrets about drawing the original caricature for Jyllands-Posten. Westergaard has also said that he is not anti-Muslim,
telling SPIEGEL ONLINE last spring: "I know a lot of Muslims living here in Denmark who accept democracy completely and who live their religion as a very private matter. I hope that all Muslims will adapt to secular society. There is currently friction between Muslim and Christian culture. But I am quite sure that our Western Democratic culture will prevail over the darker version of Islam. We must have Islam-light."

Responding to the protests and deadly riots the caricatures sparked in the Muslim world, Westergaard said: "If it hadn't been the cartoon, it would have been a book or play or a film that would have provoked the protests. We have to get through this period of friction between the two cultures. I hope that our Muslim fellow citizens will understand what it means to live in a democracy. Even if you are against the democracy, you can still live there, but you must fight with peaceful means."

One of the two Tunisian born-men arrested in February for plotting to kill Westergaard remains in Denmark because he faces torture should he be deported to Tunisia. Over the weekend, though, the government in Copenhagen agreed to transfer him from Aarhus, where Westergaard lives, to Sandholm Asylum Center north of Copenhagen. The suspect will be able to move freely in and out of the facility, but he must be in daily contact with the police. The Copenhagen Post reported that Westergaard was happy about the transfer.

Prine

Banned
I do hope muslims dont react and think of the consequence of acting so violently. Please practice what was taught to us, do what the scholers say. condemn it, move on, there's bigger things happening than one mans drawings!

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Gratz on finding your home, Himu! Maybe once I've had a little more therapy you can internetically hold my hand on my first mosque visit. :lol I am kind of jealous of you.

I have all these Muslim friends, they just all live in totally different places, and when we do get together it's not like, "hey, do you think we could take some time out of this birthday party for you to show me Salat?" lol

ice cream

Banned
Shit what have I missed? Humuro is converting?! Hot damn..
and Himuro I'm with you on the marijuana aspect. Marijuana has so many medical purposes it's not even funny. There's even things I've read about muslims smoking hashish and making hashish tea and food and such for relexation. I'm still not 100% sure if its haram or not but I'm still doing and love it. :D

Don't judge me guys. and congrats Himuro!

Himuro said:
Where the heck does one get a prayer rug (with compass) and how do you do prayer? I know you get on your knees, but what do you say? I know some recite specific scriptures but I'm not even sure about that.

I'm going to admit one thing: I've never, not once in my lifetime, gotten on my knees to pray.

Assalamu alaikum Himuro,

You dont need a rug to pray, the reason for a rug is so the place you pray is clean. You can pray anywhere without a rug as long as if the place you pray is clean.

Just go to the masjid and they will help you out and give you all the info you need of how to pray. Check this site out whyislam.org, they can help you out more. They have a toll free line where you can call them and ask them anything you want. They will also give you free stuff. Quran, rug, pray beans, etc...

Congrats on converting to Islam.

If you need anything else you can PM.

Linkhero1

<3 Himu. May Allah Bless You

If you go to a college/uni check if there are any Islamic clubs because they usually have a place ready for prayer. Also if you want to learn to pray find a muslim student on your campus that knows how to pray, they'll teach you since there are no mosques near your school.

Edit: Don't know if this will help in finding a mosque or not but give it a shot anyways

http://www.salatomatic.com/

Linkhero1

Himuro said:
I just use the internet for that. There are mosques nearby but I have no car up here at school. At least this semester. No big deal. I'm bringing my car up next semester.

Actually, I just found one nearby on a website I just googled.

Interesting. I never saw it on the internet before.

I'm heading up there this Friday. Shame prayer is at 1:30. I have class from 1-4.
I have class during prayer too :(

I try to have my classes early in the morning but our budget cut problems make it harder for me. :(

Good luck

Zapages

Linkhero1 said:
I have class during prayer too :(

I try to have my classes early in the morning but our budget cut problems make it harder for me. :(

Good luck

You know what's worse is having set schedules... :\

Roman Catholicism and Islam are so similar to me that I wouldn't mind being a Muslim or being called one. Even though I have learned a great deal from Islam and other wisdom traditions, there is only one reason I haven't converted, Jesus of Nazareth. He's a badass. :lol

Top Bottom