• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

Ashes1396 said:
R.I.P

Isn't there something about dying in the ramadhan? I forget what it was...

Not just on Ramadan, but also on Fridays. But it's a contentious thing. I was just browsing a messageboard discussing this and some dismissed it as "Salafi superstition"

Rasulullah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “The Muslim who passes away on the night or during the day of Friday, Allah Ta’ala saves him from the punishment of the grave . ” (Tirmidhi)

Hadhrat bin Malik (Radiahallahu Anhu) would say: "Indeed, in the month of Ramadhan, torment of the grave is lifted from the dead." [Baihaqi]

But there is a universal belief, in my experience, that those who pass away during this month will receive more mercy. To what degree depends on who you ask.

beast786 said:
People. I cant believe it. How about.......................... Divorce?

i wouldnt be surprised cultural pressures had a lot to do with them staying together. i know far too many desis that are more concerned about "image" than safety and happiness. then again, there are also many women who still stay with their spouses despite constant physical and verbal abuse. regardless, its an absolutely tragic outcome for that woman :/

dudes a complete psychopath though and i have a feeling no matter what she did, he would still want to hurt her. i hope they put him away for good.

Ashes

Banned
Fasting and football. How do top-flight Muslims cope?

"Ramadan offers a unique challenge as footballers train and play while their normal eating habits are suspended..."

Article.

RiZ III

http://jazbablog.com/2011/08/08/the-only-muslim-in-greenland-who-fasts-for-21-hours/

NUUK: Wassam Azaqeer, a Lebanese, who lives in a country surrounded by icebergs called “Greenland”, is the only Muslim in this state who is fasting daily for 21 hours with full determination.
Greenland is the largest island in the world; lies between the North Atlantic and the Arctic Ocean; a self-governing province of Denmark.
According to an Arab TV report, Wassam Azaqeer, who is living in Greenland from the past several years and has been called “Arab Columbus” as he is the only Arab Muslim who not only managed to live in Greenland-despite for its long and difficult journey, but also running a successful business in the capital city of Greenland called Nuuk.
Wassam, is running his own restaurant where he receives 200 customers each day.
The month of the Ramdan,this year, came in summer so Wassam has to fast for 21 hours and after Aftari he only got 2 hours to prepare for Sehri to start next fast.
In these 2 hours Wassam, also has to offer his Maghrib and Isha prayers. Wassam says that he is very proud Muslim to be living on a state where he is the only one fasting and praying in the name of Allah.

He says he sometimes think about going to Lebanon in this holy month but he stops himself by thinking that if left Greenland, there wont be anyone to fast and pray on this land.

Hardcore. May God bless that man.

RiZ III

Azih said:
Disagree, he is completely undercutting the verse from the Quran about the Quran not putting hardship on anyone in religion. If this dude is doing the right thing, then should Muslims in the North or South Pole starve/die of thirst? Sorry to say but he's not doing the right thing.

The right thing is to fast if you can, so if he is able to then what's wrong with it?

Just came here to say that while I was in Edinburgh the other week, I visited a Mosque just outside the city centre, and it was one of the most inspiring and enlightening experiences ever. The people there were incredibly friendly, welcoming and incredibly informative. One particular woman took us upstairs to the prayer hall/musalla and explained everything about it (such as the reason for a lack of furniture, patterns int he carpets etc.) and even took the time to talk through the Qur'an with us and walk us through the everyday life of someone who worships Islam. Her talk on Ramadan was notably interesting, as she explained the flexibility and conditions, and how in the end it went down to how a person felt about worshipping Allah, and the trust between them. All in all it was a great learning experience, and I genuinely enjoyed it. The architecture os the building itself was unique too, as it was a fairly modern Mosque - a refreshing take on the traditional design. Anywho, it allowed me to come away with a greater knowledge on Islam.

Azih

RiZ III said:
The right thing is to fast if you can, so if he is able to then what's wrong with it?
Gives the impression that there is incredible hardship in Islam. Would keep most from fasting just for health reasons.

Ashes

Banned
Azih said:
Gives the impression that there is incredible hardship in Islam. Would keep most from fasting just for health reasons.

Considering that he sleeps for 8 of those hours, that's a 15 hour fast. I'd say that was a little hardship. I think it's more of an issue for those who are medically unfit to fast, like in the latter stages of pregnancy, and still do so.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Ubermatik said:
Just came here to say that while I was in Edinburgh the other week, I visited a Mosque just outside the city centre, and it was one of the most inspiring and enlightening experiences ever. The people there were incredibly friendly, welcoming and incredibly informative. One particular woman took us upstairs to the prayer hall/musalla and explained everything about it (such as the reason for a lack of furniture, patterns int he carpets etc.) and even took the time to talk through the Qur'an with us and walk us through the everyday life of someone who worships Islam. Her talk on Ramadan was notably interesting, as she explained the flexibility and conditions, and how in the end it went down to how a person felt about worshipping Allah, and the trust between them. All in all it was a great learning experience, and I genuinely enjoyed it. The architecture os the building itself was unique too, as it was a fairly modern Mosque - a refreshing take on the traditional design. Anywho, it allowed me to come away with a greater knowledge on Islam.

Niiice...

Was it busy due to Ramadan? Did you get to eat with other muslims? Or was it too early in the day?

If not...you should take advantage of this holy month and pop round when muslims are breaking their fast...the food on offer will be amazing...it's like a fact. :p

F#A#Oo

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Is Islam a religion of peace?

What does it even mean to be a religion of peace? Even if Islam is not a religion of peace...what implications does that have?

For me Islam is nothing but a way of living ones life...outside of that I let others create the labels to suit their agenda. I think Muslims who like to say Islam is a religion of peace use it as a defensive mechanism or shield to deflect accusations of violence...

It's a silly thing for Muslims to use defensively...when I'm confronted by such accusations I let my actions do the talking.

eid-2010.jpg

Those of you who have family to celebrate Eid with, cherish it.

Tomorrow starts my 40 hour workweek and I miss my family badly right now.

Zapages

Hey guys,

Have you heard about this news that happened in Playland: http://www.lohud.com/article/20110831/NEWS02/108310335/15-arrested-Playland-melee-over-head-scarves-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|News

Zapages said:

this shit makes my fucking blood boil.

i forgot which documentary i saw but they were talking about how Hajj is supposed to be where everyone is equal. men, women, rich, poor etc. its why everyone wears similar clothes and have similar living situations during the course of the pilgrimage. then you see these fucking guys with luxury tents, AC, catering, servants and all that. like really? where the hell is the humility in that? i guess some of these people are more equal than others. fucking hell.

seriously, fuck the saudi royal family. fuck all of these bastards

Codeblue

Hey guys, I figured this would be the best place to ask this, so:

I'm in need of a prayer rug from the Middle East. My sister asked a friend of ours who visited Iraq recently to get her one but they totally forgot and she's pretty upset about it, and her birthday is coming up soon. I had no idea what to get her so this is sort of a windfall for me. If anyone knows a reputable seller, please let me know.

Thanks.

Codeblue said:
Hey guys, I figured this would be the best place to ask this, so:

I'm in need of a prayer rug from the Middle East. My sister asked a friend of ours who visited Iraq recently to get her one but they totally forgot and she's pretty upset about it, and her birthday is coming up soon. I had no idea what to get her so this is sort of a windfall for me. If anyone knows a reputable seller, please let me know.

Thanks.

where do you live?

Amazon has many
Islamic city has store. Go to your local mosuqe they also sell it some times. Islamic store in your city.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone know some good places to get ithmid kohl? There's a lot of mosques here but none of them seem to sell it

choodi

Banned
choodi said:
This is a project I was involved in at work: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/multicultural/health_workers/hbook-muslim.asp

I just wanted to get some feedback to see what you think of it as a resource for health care workers in hospitals.

never mind the crappy looking web page. Our stupid, archaic CMS doesn't play well with non-Internet Explorer browsers or any modern browsers at all

Sorry to quote myself, but i think this post got lost during Ramadan.

Anyone care to give me some feedback?

Al-ibn Kermit

I think most hospitals are aware of Muslim diets being halal/vegetarian. As far as dress code, I thought muslims were allowed to let a doctor (male or female) see everything if it is for a medical purpose.

The part that doctors would be most interested in learning more about is the ability to harvest organs. Realistically though, it would make more sense for them to just look at your driver's license to see if you're an organ donor rather than contact a bunch of different imams and get a bunch of different opinions.

choodi said:
Sorry to quote myself, but i think this post got lost during Ramadan.

Anyone care to give me some feedback?

Honest answer. I belive some religious people will be unsatisfied regardless of caution taken. It is really great to see hospital taking care like this. My main points will be

1. Halal food for patients
2. If woman prefers than women only doctor other wise it is fine. May be a form or some thing( I personally do not mind male doctors they are doing job and it is health issue)

Not much more than that may be I am unaware of many other things. Very good step by the way from the Hospital

Edit:
OMG I Just looked at PDF. Amazing work dude that is very well done covers almost all points. Show it to one the mosque you go to also might get some points but other wise very well done.

Top Bottom