• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official - June NPD predictions thread (Includes Wedbush Estimates)

June NPD will be released this next Monday after Market close. I've been following box office numbers pretty closely since Spidey 2 came out (Best Wednesday opening of all time, fastest to 200 million,etc) and thought it might be fun to have a monthly predictions thread that was a little more structured. I'll put up my predictions up a little later.

Here are the categories:

Hardware (within 25k) each system
Software sales (total for the month in millions)
Top 10 overall
Top 10 for each system if you're feeling especially psychic.

Wedbush Morgan said:
June 2004 NPD Video Game Sales Preview
We expect NPD Funworld TRSTS U.S. retail video game console software sales data for the month of June (five-week period ending July 3, 2004) to be released on Monday, July 19, after the market close. In this note, we attempt to forecast the sales figures before they are released. Our forecast is based upon a combination of channel checks and intuition, with a far greater dependence upon intuition. Our channel checks are conducted by visiting a very small slice of the over 25,000 retail stores that carry video games in the U.S. We note that for a given game, a difference of only one unit per store per week could result in a difference of 100,000 units in volume, or $5 million in retail sales for the month. Therefore, we caution readers to use our estimates as only one data point in a sea of information. May and June have historically been two of the slowest months of the year, with combined sales totaling only 9-12% of annual sales in each of the last several years. We do not expect a reversal of this trend in 2004, and forecast sales of $355 million (up 5% vs. June 2003’s $339 million).

Over the last three months, sales have declined compared with last year, due to a greater percentage of sales of older catalog titles at lower prices and the difficult comparisons with the release of Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda and Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire and Atari’s Enter The Matrix. Despite weak sales so far (down 1% year-to-date), we continue to be optimistic that strong holiday sales will allow the U.S. console software market to deliver 10% year-over-year growth (up from 5% in 2003), and believe that the rebound in sales growth will start this month following the mid-May price cut on the PS2 to $149 and the release of several blockbuster games in June. We note that unit sales-to-date are up 1%, while ASPs have declined by only 1.5% (compared to our full-year forecast of a 10.25% decline). Year-to-date, ASPs are $30.61, and we believe that there is a good possibility that ASPs will stabilize at this level for the remainder of the year, given the likelihood for strong sales of several full-priced blockbuster titles later in the year.

The U.S. hardware installed base is currently at 60 million current generation consoles (including the GBA) as of the end of May 2004 (up from 56 million at year end 2003) and we forecast it to grow to 77 million by the end of 2004. Total console and handheld hardware unit sales are down 9% in the first five months of 2004 compared with the prior year, but we expect unit sales to accelerate during 2004 with the recent console price cuts and blockbuster games to be released. Following Microsoft’s cut in Xbox price to $149 on March 30, the Xbox outsold the PS2 on a monthly basis for the first time in April (297,000 units versus 189,000 units) but the PS2 regained sales leadership in May when Sony cut the price to $149. We believe that the next round of price cuts may come as early as this holiday season (current U.S. prices are Nintendo GameCube $99, Microsoft Xbox $149, and Sony PS2 $149), although we think it more likely that prices will hold steady for the remainder of the year. We also expect a strong unit contribution from Nintendo’s DS handheld, expected out this fall.

In June, we expect continued strong sales of Electronic Arts’ Fight Night (PS2, Xbox, GC) and MVP Baseball (PS2, GC, Xbox, PC), Ubi Soft’s Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (Xbox, PC), and Activision’s Shrek 2 (PS2, GC, Xbox, GBA, PC). The top June releases should be Activision’s Spider-Man 2 (PS2, Xbox, GC, GBA, PC), Atari’s DRIV3R (PS2 and Xbox),
Electronic Art’s Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (PS2, Xbox, GC), and THQ’s Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox). We also think that several “sleepers” (like VU Games’ The Chronicles of Riddick for Xbox and Midway’s Psi-Ops for PS2 and Xbox) could surprise. We note that there were three games that sold over 100,000 units in May, and we expect 12 in June.

This compares to last June, when eight games sold over 100,000 units. Although the number of games released is relatively flat year-over-year (57 SKUs this year vs. 53 last June), we think that the greater number of big propositions will more than offset spillover sales from last year’s Enter the Matrix (approximately $16 million in sales last June).

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Did Four Swords Adventure bomb? I picked it up recently. Single player is a blast. Great game, imo. It's a totally new twist on Zelda and it doesn't feel gimmicky at all (despite EGM's lame comments to the contrary).

AirBrian

JC10001 said:
Did Four Swords Adventure bomb? I picked it up recently. Single player is a blast. Great game, imo. It's a totally new twist on Zelda and it doesn't feel gimmicky at all (despite EGM's lame comments to the contrary).
We'll find out next Monday. :) I tend the think it won't bomb, but it won't have WW-type sales either.

jedimike

Here's some help for everyone... PS2/XB/GC/GBA

June 2003 440,834 166,879 124,080 660,366 = 1,269,559 - 9% = 1,155,299

My hardware predictions...

PS2 = 325k
XB = 325k
GC = 80k
GBA = 400k

I think GC will be the brunt of the 9% decline in sales

SyNapSe

Fleming said:
I predict:
FSW-350K
Riddick-180K
Psi Ops :pS2-120K,XB-80K
Shrek-PS2/GC/XB 300/100/60
Azkaban-PS2/GC/XB 250/80/50

Is FSW really selling that well!? 350k is a big amount. I didn't realize the game was that popular.. I have seen a few commercials on TV, I guess.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BeOnEdge said:
if XB has equalled ps2 on average for its 3rd month in a row, sony should be afraid.

Yes because that means.. <does calculations in head> in about 100 years they'll have the same userbase!!!!! Awesome is MS! MS is Awesome!

BeOnEdge said:
if XB has equalled ps2 on average for its 3rd month in a row, sony should be afraid.

[face_confused]

May Console Sales

PS2 - 253,454
Xbox - 216,997
GC - 77,827

Not exactly a tie... And that's with only have a month of price drop. If Sony wasn't completely blowing smoke regarding the bump in sales (3* greater after drop, 2.2* greater for 4 weeks), then the PS2 should outsell the Xbox pretty easily.

BeOnEdge said:

So if that's the case for Sony, what should it be for MS if they can't outsell the PS2 with 1 big exclusive and 1 big sleeper released last month?

jarrod

Banned
My guesses (rounded)...

PlayStation 2- 300k
XBox- 250k
GameCube- 100k
GameBoy Advance- 500k+ (thanks to Classic NES Series)

BeOnEdge

Banned
sonycowboy said:
[face_confused]

May Console Sales

PS2 - 253,454
Xbox - 216,997
GC - 77,827

Not exactly a tie... And that's with only have a month of price drop. If Sony wasn't completely blowing smoke regarding the bump in sales (3* greater after drop, 2.2* greater for 4 weeks), then the PS2 should outsell the Xbox pretty easily.

yeah did we just forget that i said 3 months? wheres april? mmm~hm...

Matlock

Banned
Semi-unrelated, but the top 3 bestsellers in the EB chain in June were:

1. Full Spectrum Warrior
2. Van Helsing
3. Chronicles of Riddick

So expect to see VH higher than it deserves.

Over 100k for Psi-Ops, though. That's friggin' awesome.

BeOnEdge said:
yeah did we just forget that i said 3 months? wheres april? mmm~hm...

Weak sauce.

April: Full month Xbox price drop. Xbox outsells PS2
May : Full month Xbox Drop, 1/2 month PS2 drop. PS outsells Xbox
June: Full month for both, with the PS2 price drop being much more current.

And you're trying to average April and May despite the obvious differences? How about I average Sony console sales since 1994-2004. 170 million to ~17 million. Microsoft must be pissing their pants!

Matlock said:
Semi-unrelated, but the top 3 bestsellers in the EB chain in June were:

1. Full Spectrum Warrior
2. Van Helsing
3. Chronicles of Riddick

So expect to see VH higher than it deserves.

Over 100k for Psi-Ops, though. That's friggin' awesome.

Really? More than Driv3r? I would have thought that would have shot to the top of the charts, given how it's performed in the UK and all the press releases we've seen.

BTW, are you and EB employee? And if so, is this based off of actual system numbers, or just those lame sheets they send out the the stores, that are basically designed to direct customers to the games EB WANTS to sell?

Matlock said:
'twas just a sign up in front of the store that said "Company-wide bestsellers for June 2004!"

Gotcha. That sign means nothing to me. Every retail store lists their best sellers in-store. Simply a way to influence customers.

bunkum

1/ Driv3r 400k

2/ Spiderman 2 325k

3/ Shrek 2 200k

4/ Harry Potter 190k

5/ FSW 175k

6/ Chronicles of Riddick 120k

7/ Red Dead Revolver 110k

8/ Fight Night 100k

9/ PSi-ops 90k

10/ Van Helsing 85k

bunkum

Its only a guess on my part and I do have a disadvantage of living in London, so I'm on the wrong side of the pond to do channel checking ;)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
bunkum said:
Its only a guess on my part and I do have a disadvantage of living in London, so I'm on the wrong side of the pond to do channel checking ;)
Oh, sorry bunkum -- I saw your name and automatically assumed they were the real numbers. ^_^

AniHawk

I'm predicting Harry Potter 3 will be the #1 selling GC game this month, 80,000-100,000 in sales, with Zelda in second for about 50,000-55,000.

From what I saw, Zelda games were moving kinda fast, but they were so big that there'd be only a small fraction of what it could have been if they were normal DVD cases.

Console sales, I pretty much agree with jarrod, except I'd probably tweak the numbers for some systems here and there.

bunkum said:

I should have my estimates up tomorrow based on release dates, buzz, rental numbers, channel checks, etc. wheh!

But, I really don't expect Shrek 2 to have anywhere near that much of a holdover from the previous month. It came out in April, but I know it just came out in the middle of the month in Europe, bunk :p

Last month it sold 87k on the PS2. Are these numbers consolidated across all platforms bunk? We're not too good here in the US considering them as the same game.

Kifimbo

bunkum said:
1/ Driv3r 400k

2/ Spiderman 2 325k

3/ Shrek 2 200k

4/ Harry Potter 190k

5/ FSW 175k

6/ Chronicles of Riddick 120k

7/ Red Dead Revolver 110k

8/ Fight Night 100k

9/ PSi-ops 90k

10/ Van Helsing 85k

They expect twelve 100 000+ games. Zelda will no doubt be there.

jarrod

Banned
Anyone have some guesses on how the Classic NES Series performed? Think Mario or Zelda managed to break 100k here?

bunkum

sonycowboy said:
But, I really don't expect Shrek 2 to have anywhere near that much of a holdover from the previous month. It came out in April, but I know it just came out in the middle of the month in Europe, bunk :p

Last month it sold 87k on the PS2. Are these numbers consolidated across all platforms bunk? We're not too good here in the US considering them as the same game.

Ahh never checked that, its only been out about 4 weeks over here.

A little Adjustment then.

1/ Driv3r 400k

2/ Spiderman 2 325k

3/ Harry Potter 190k

4/ FSW 175k

5/ Chronicles of Riddick 120k

6/ Red Dead Revolver 110k

7/ Shrek 2 105k

8/ Fight Night 100k

9/ PSi-ops 90k

10/ Van Helsing 85k

And that accross all platforms.

Memles

jarrod said:
Anyone have some guesses on how the Classic NES Series performed? Think Mario or Zelda managed to break 100k here?

Generally, I'm expecting Mario to break 100k, maybe Zelda as well.

Four Swords, 2-3 Classic Titles (Gotta account for crazy DK love or something), Psi-Ops, Shrek 2, Harry Potter, Driv3r, Helsing, FSW...in going through the list, I expect Mario, no Zelda. Too many other titles that almost guaranteed went over 100k.

But, sadly, Four Swords might not have even made it.

bunkum said:
1/ Driv3r 400k
2/ Spiderman 2 325k
3/ Harry Potter 190k
4/ FSW 175k
5/ Chronicles of Riddick 120k
6/ Red Dead Revolver 110k
7/ Shrek 2 105k
8/ Fight Night 100k
9/ PSi-ops 90k
10/ Van Helsing 85k

And that accross all platforms.

We know 12 titles went over 100k...so the Top 10 can't have anything under it. I know, I don't want to see Helsing anywhere near that either, but...

jarrod

Banned
Memles said:
Four Swords, 2-3 Classic Titles (Gotta account for crazy DK love or something), Psi-Ops, Shrek 2, Harry Potter, Driv3r, Helsing, FSW...in going through the list, I expect Mario, no Zelda. Too many other titles that almost guaranteed went over 100k.

But, sadly, Four Swords might not have even made it.
I'll laugh if NES Zelda outsold Four Swords GC in the US as well as Japan. :)

Memles

jarrod said:
I'll laugh if NES Zelda outsold Four Swords GC in the US as well as Japan. :)

Yet, Nintendo is likely laughing to the bank on that one...a port of an old title, sold at a pretty damn near normal price point, and then another game that probably cost less to make than a standard Zelda title, but I think will still sell respectably...and I do expect Four Swords to outsell NES Zelda.

Memles said:
We know 12 titles went over 100k...so the Top 10 can't have anything under it. I know, I don't want to see Helsing anywhere near that either, but...

The Wedbush numbers are only estimates. And they're usually wayyyy wrong on individual titles. Amazingly enough, in summary, they're not too bad (on a publisher and total month basis)

bunkum said:
10/ Van Helsing 85k. And that accross all platforms.

Van Helsing came out the beginning of May and only sold ~95k last month across all platforms last month. You suck at this game bunk :p .

Although, we're all going to suck. I'll give bunk some slack because of the differences in release dates across regions.

For those of you that want to know a given release date, you can check gamefaqs.com. It sucks to do that on a title by title basis. Anybody know a better way? Most of the sites that list release dates, remove them once the date passes, so they don't help for already released games.

Memles

sonycowboy said:
The Wedbush numbers are only estimates. And they're usually wayyyy wrong on individual titles. Amazingly enough, in summary, they're not too bad (on a publisher and total month basis)

Oh, I understand that completely, but even just looking at all of the titles included...I'd expect to see near that number. I know it's not an exact science. Polling/Estimations have lost all faith from me after the Canadian election, where they predicted the tightest race in years and it wasn't even close to a close race.

My Predictions:

Driv3r - 292k (All)
Spider-Man 2 - 240k (All)
Harry Potter - 200k (All)
Zelda: Four Swords - 100k
Mario Bros. Classic - 140k
Zelda Classic - 90k

NES Classics Series in Total - 400k

BeOnEdge

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Weak sauce.

April: Full month Xbox price drop. Xbox outsells PS2
May : Full month Xbox Drop, 1/2 month PS2 drop. PS outsells Xbox
June: Full month for both, with the PS2 price drop being much more current.

And you're trying to average April and May despite the obvious differences? How about I average Sony console sales since 1994-2004. 170 million to ~17 million. Microsoft must be pissing their pants!

how exactly is it weak sauce? when the were both 199, ps2 would manhandle the xbox by a good amount. at 149, xbox seems to be keeping pace with the ps2 if not better and this month will be the month that shows that. with that said, the ps2 could be reaching saturation at this point until whenever the 99$ price hits. xbox on the other hand keeps improving sales wise.

rastex

Banned
sonycowboy said:
For those of you that want to know a given release date, you can check gamefaqs.com. It sucks to do that on a title by title basis. Anybody know a better way? Most of the sites that list release dates, remove them once the date passes, so they don't help for already released games.

Moby Games does this

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Not only was Sony unable to break out at the $149 price point or even restore the size of their previous sales rate advantage over the Xbox, they marginally scraped out any advantage at all in sales in the month of the PS2's price drop. There's clearly been some shift in momentum.

MaddenNFL64

Xbox in June had Thief: Deadly Shadows, Chronicles of Riddick, and Full Spectrum Warrior, and thats just the exclusives. With all the games the XBox had last month, it better at least equal the damn PS2.

jarrod

Banned
Lazy8s said:
Not only was Sony unable to break out at the $149 price point or even restore the size of their previous sales rate advantage over the Xbox, they marginally scraped out any advantage at all in sales in the month of the PS2's price drop. There's clearly been some shift in momentum.
They scraped out said advantage in just two weeks. June will be the first full month where pricing was consistant between the two platforms.

IJoel

PS2 - 270K
Xbox - 235K
GCN - 105K

Riddick - 105K
FSW - 175K
Thief 3 - 85K
Driv3r - 305K (all platforms)

Alcibiades

Wow, I have a brave prediction for Four Swords, but it seems a little high now...

I think XBX will outsell PS2 (if not June almost for sure July), that Megaman will sell more on GCN than PS2, and that FSW and Riddick will have strong starts but next month drop big time...

I think the NES-Classics series will sell decently, and that the SP will sell more than XBX or PS2 thanks to the new NES-edition...

Mario and Donkey Kong and Sonic Advance 3 are also going to sell well...

Lukas

Banned
FSW was confirmed to have sold over 250,000 in its first 3 weeks and Riddick over 100,000 in its first 2 weeks

Top Bottom