• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Dascu

Metroid Killer said:
I only used Animal Hunters and not that many(around 10 or something) attack and retreat, rince repeat. If you retreat to the entrance of the battle the turnip should lose his aggro.
Thanks, beat him with ease.

Now, several questions:
1) Do Liam and Verde keep asking for more money during the rest of the game, or do they stop asking once you give them a certain amount? They're asking for 9,000,000 bol now.
2) Any tactics against the big round Onii that guards the piece for the F.M., you know, where the old Onii King was?

Oxx

I think Liam and Verde do stop asking for more after a certain point. Money's pretty easy to come by so it isn't much of an inconvenience.

gamingeek

Dascu said:
Question: Fuckity fuck fuck, this Red Turnip boss is pissing me off. Any help?

When sending troops out, they'll automatically stop after a certain distance and come back. Except for the middle of the arena, with the arrows pointing upward. Send your Miners up that path. You'll see a sign at the top of the arena with red lights that decrease if you break the barrier (difficult to put into words).

You should have Miners by now... They're between Farmer Town and Soldier Town. In other words, the South-South-West of your castle.

I've noticed that changing the viewpoint so that you view the stairs exactly from the side helps a lot. I can get all my men across stairs in one go, even in Attack Formation.

Thanks. I dont think I have miners though. I have farmers, carpenters, the woodchuck guys, soldiers. Carefree. No miners that I know of.

Dascu said:
I've noticed that changing the viewpoint so that you view the stairs exactly from the side helps a lot. I can get all my men across stairs in one go, even in Attack Formation.
At that particular stair it didn't help because the rock to the right side prevents camera control. It just boggled my mind that they didn't come across this problem in qc.

Volcynika

AceBandage said:
Blrag.
Why must it be so painful?

5y8lq13.gif

Dascu

Woosh, made the long trek from Boney Tunnel, through Skull Plains to the Cow Cannon about north of your castle. Molly died along the way, RIP.

Some questions:
1) How do you beat the big beetle in the ex-Ripe Kingdom?
2) WHO THE HELL THOUGHT IT WAS A NICE IDEA TO PUT FOUR DRAGONS IN ONE HOLE?

Dascu said:
I kept throwing soldiers at its face and eventually it went belly up becoming an easy target. I had no problems at all with that UMA, so I don't know if it's the "best" strategy (in my case, it was).

Dascu

Versipellis said:
I kept throwing soldiers at its face and eventually it went belly up becoming an easy target. I had no problems at all with that UMA, so I don't know if it's the "best" strategy (in my case, it was).
Aha. I tried attacking him for a bit, but it seemed his shell blocked everything. Guess his face is his weakspot?

Dascu said:
Aha. I tried attacking him for a bit, but it seemed his shell blocked everything. Guess his face is his weakspot?

I must say I can't be 100% sure of it, 'cause I won that battle the first time I tried it (beginner's luck, maybe?). I wasn't using any strategy in particular, so my suggestion is more like a guess (but it shouldn't be much different from the right way to do it).

Oxx

I can't even remember the enemy you're talking about.

My all-purpose tactic involved pelting every enemy with arrows until they became paralyzed and then setting every one of my squad on it.

Dascu said:
Some questions:
2) WHO THE HELL THOUGHT IT WAS A NICE IDEA TO PUT FOUR DRAGONS IN ONE HOLE?
1) For the beetle I found out that only Miners could attack it while it was normal on the ground(out of grunts, hunters, farmers and lumberjacks... there might be another class that can harm it). But the really trick is to get the beetle flying, once it goes up in the air throw all your men at it which should bring it down on its back leaving the belly(weakspot) open for all attacks.

2) Probably one of the hardest battles I've had so far, as I didn't except them at all. My group was full of chefs, farmers and grunts -_-

dock

My girlfriend is playing this at the moment and is loving it.

She wants to know what the deal is with death. She had a minion die permanently during a mission and she wants to know whether this was normal, and whether there is anything she can do to prevent it.

dock said:
My girlfriend is playing this at the moment and is loving it.

She wants to know what the deal is with death. She had a minion die permanently during a mission and she wants to know whether this was normal, and whether there is anything she can do to prevent it.
I think it's random, well or just rare occurences that happens once in a while.

I've only lost two people, both in battles that pretty much wiped out my entire party. Boss battles though will not cause perm death.

dock

Metroid Killer said:
I think it's random, well or just rare occurences that happens once in a while.

I've only lost two people, both in battles that pretty much wiped out my entire party. Boss battles though will not cause perm death.
Ah great, we're thankful for the info. I suppose you should really ought to avoid having your whole party being wiped out to avoid a chance of death.

dock

We are restarting the game now because the game is too punishing, this time playing in East mode.

It seems pretty unfair at times, allowing you to lose a lot of progress without saving, and letting you fair quests because you don't realise they are time limited. Shame really :(

Dascu

Beat that Beetle. You guys were right, I just needed to attack him while he was in the air, so he fell down on his back. Easy fight. Got a 3rd part of
the Flying Machine
now!

Now, several questions again:
1) I found the entrance to the mountain King. Any tips before I try to attack him? I've only beaten Onii King, Duvroc and Shiskebaboo. Am I supposed to fight another King first?
2) I also found the entrance to the TV Kingdom, but the road is blocked off by a television and I don't know how to get rid of it.
3) Along the way, I found this big bird cage with a Reborn Dragon in it. I killed it, but then it revived. Can I kill it for good somehow, or does it always do this?

Edit: Played some more and found + beat the Omelet King. That was a very interesting boss "fight". The pre-boss area was very moving as well. Re-affirms that LKS is a fantastic game.

Question though: Do the questions you get, after you beat the boss, have any importance?

dock said:
It seems pretty unfair at times, allowing you to lose a lot of progress without saving, and letting you fair quests because you don't realise they are time limited. Shame really :(
Yeah I figured out the hard way that saving has to be done often. Though you just have to save often and whenever you are out on campaigns and loosing too many men, you can always return to the castle at once, and then go for the next try which should be easier because of your knowledge of the path up till where you got first time.

Timed Quests shouldn't really be bothering you since they are all random generated. Their main purpose is to get you Bol and to practice your battle skills.

Dascu said:
1) I found the entrance to the mountain King. Any tips before I try to attack him? I've only beaten Onii King, Duvroc and Shiskebaboo. Am I supposed to fight another King first?
2) I also found the entrance to the TV Kingdom, but the road is blocked off by a television and I don't know how to get rid of it.
Well that's the beauty of this game, nonlinearity! So far I conquered the kingdoms in this order:
Onii Grounds
Jolly Kingdom
Ripe Kingdom
Worrywart Kingdom
Primetime Kingdom

I recall just interacting with the TV (pushing A while being close to it)... though it could be that you can't enter before beating the Worrywart Kingdom?

Edit: You edited right after I clicked reply! Unfortunately I don't know wether the question matters or not(you're not far from where I am in the game). But yeah, the Worrywart Kingdom was quite original and so was the battle eventhough I had to endure it 3 times before figuring out how to solve the last bit ;_;

Yay! Finally got some time on my hands so I'm playing again, I played for 3 hours and eventhough I didn't progress that much(from beating the Primetime Kingdom last time to unveil the area around the mountain where I built a moo canon), a lot of the small funny stuff happened:

Got a letter from a Rabbit :D

Was searching for carefree adults one night and from what appears to be an empty house 6 or 7 cats runs out.

Quinn fell in love with Lyrica, but she clearly didn't have feelings. When I say clearly I mean beating the shit out of Quinn :lol

One of my grunts was talking about he wanted to become a movie star just like Seagal and Lundgren. Awesome!

New unique class! A
Steel Knight
was sitting on a bench in the Town Square, but I thought it was the
Camera Guy
, so he scared me shitless when he talked in his unexpected houlish voice :lol

Hahha at the singing. Mr. Trobadour certainly hasn't educated any of my citizens :lol

Oh and one last thing: In the wii menu when booting up the game, don't press start but wait for 15 seconds and a little friend will pop up!

Dascu

So I accidentally wandered into Primetime Kingdom and had to face the boss without any digging units. There seemed to be no way to exit the area, so I had to reset and lose a bunch of progress. Feeling a bit pissed off right now.

Dascu

Update: Defeated that bastard TV Dinnah King.

Nice to hear some Gershwin, by the way. Lovely music in this game.

Edit: Browsing through the UMA list, I think I found a bug. The entry for the Crab enemy has "...<playername=0> Beach...". Bad, bad Rising Star Games!

Dascu

Double Post/Bump, since I need some help:

I can't localize the path for the God TV quest. I've been exploring Skull Plains, but I can't seem to find it? How exactly do I get there?

Dascu said:
Double Post/Bump, since I need some help:

I can't localize the path for the God TV quest. I've been exploring Skull Plains, but I can't seem to find it? How exactly do I get there?

I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but for me when I accept them they show up on the map.

And I also just defeated Long Sauvage, It took me about 30 tries but finally made it without losing anyone. The problem was I wasn't taking the right people into battle so I kept dying.

Dascu

Eyemus Lutt said:
I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but for me when I accept them they show up on the map.

And I also just defeated Long Sauvage, It took me about 30 tries but finally made it without losing anyone. The problem was I wasn't taking the right people into battle so I kept dying.
Yeah, it showed up on the map, but I couldn't figure out how to actually reach the digging spot. Seems I had to examine the big TV where the TV Dinnah King boss was.

As for Long Sauvage: The only tricky part is the one with his "beard" along the narrow path. Nice job on beating him without losing any men though.

As for me, I've just beat the 7th King. Wow, that was an epic battle. Now time to do some quests for my lovely princesses and find the last piece for the Flying Machine.

Dascu

I'm very disappointed that this thread isn't more active. Hope it gets a revival with the American release.

Anyway, I beat the game today. 135 villagers, 100 days, 55 million Bol in the treasury, 30 hours playtime. I didn't finish the last of the Princesses' quests, since I wanted to wrap things up today. I've still got a huge Wii backlog to work on.

End Game spoilers: I picked
Verde
. I thought she was a good fit and the character that you were supposed to pick. The game gives enough hints that she's in love with you. Besides, I love her theme music.
Oh, and it was sweet of her for letting me keep the 9999,9999 Bol bonus.

The last section of the game is very novel. It feels incredibly epic, even for a game with a whimsical style such as this. The final boss music is eerie (on that note, let me salute Yoko Shimomura for having a fine selection of arranged classical music). I had to hold back a tear on the pre-boss story section (
You see it coming that it was all a dream/imagination of a real boy, but reading those notes about the adults he used for inspiration, his grandpa who died, etc. It was very bittersweet.
). The post-boss ending cutscene felt a tad short, but I really did like the credits with
the main characters and their dreams

One more thing: People have sometimes wondered about game director collaborations. One of the craziest would be Suda51 and Shigeru Miyamoto. Well, if they ever worked together... LKS seems like a good estimate of what it would be like. Little King's Story has the charm, the detail, the addictive gameplay and the light-hearted tone of a Miyamoto game, but with the unexpected originality (
Shishkebaboo pinball, Omelet quiz, 8bit introduction to TV Dinnah, pre-final boss shmup section
) and the hidden story depth (
the existentialism with Omelet, the bizarro and 4th-wall breaking newsreel with TV Dinnah and the ending "plot twist"
) of a Suda game.

And surprisingly, it all comes together in one beautiful game.

Wii GotY 2009.

GhaleonQ

Dascu said:
Wii GotY 2009.

Great mini-review. I'm sure (if you can read Japanese) that you would love the hell out of their other games, since they go way beyond Suda's depth of thought and peculiarity (although a couple went to Grasshopper Manufacture later). Moon strikes the same sort of emotional notes, so I was glad when I found that they did a similar ending for Little King's Story. Personally, I'm amazed that some designer I've never heard of (World Neverland?) and a director for a regular RPG managed to make the gameplay so tight, apparently. Do you have a favorite boss, now?

Dascu

GhaleonQ said:
Great mini-review. I'm sure (if you can read Japanese) that you would love the hell out of their other games, since they go way beyond Suda's depth of thought and peculiarity (although a couple went to Grasshopper Manufacture later). Moon strikes the same sort of emotional notes, so I was glad when I found that they did a similar ending for Little King's Story. Personally, I'm amazed that some designer I've never heard of (World Neverland?) and a director for a regular RPG managed to make the gameplay so tight, apparently. Do you have a favorite boss, now?
Yeah, I'd love to play Love-de-Lic's games, if they ever got translated. I should check out Contact too one of these days...

Anyway, favourite boss... Very difficult. It's going to be a tie between TV Dinnah and Jumbo Champloon. The TV Kingdom's theme is a remix of one my personal favourites, Rhapsody in Blue and the bossfight itself is pretty original. The pre-bossfight cutscene is so random, novel, 4th-wall breaking, makes you feel guilty and TV Dinnah himself reminds me of 20th Century Boys' villain (one of my favourite manga).

Jumbo Champloon isn't as original or crazy, but it feels so incredibly epic. The scale is enormous and it's just very satisfying to take him out.

GhaleonQ

Dascu said:
Yeah, I'd love to play Love-de-Lic's games, if they ever got translated. I should check out Contact too one of these days...

Anyway, favourite boss... Very difficult. It's going to be a tie between TV Dinnah and Jumbo Champloon. The TV Kingdom's theme is a remix of one my personal favourites, Rhapsody in Blue and the bossfight itself is pretty original. The pre-bossfight cutscene is so random, novel, 4th-wall breaking, makes you feel guilty and TV Dinnah himself reminds me of 20th Century Boys' villain (one of my favourite manga).

Jumbo Champloon isn't as original or crazy, but it feels so incredibly epic. The scale is enormous and it's just very satisfying to take him out.

*sigh* Great. It just makes it that much more painful to read that people are forced to order online, since it's not in stores. Any chance you've been into game stores recently and could comment?

Dascu

GhaleonQ said:
*sigh* Great. It just makes it that much more painful to read that people are forced to order online, since it's not in stores. Any chance you've been into game stores recently and could comment?
Considering the absurd prices in the local (Belgian) game stores, I only order online from the UK anymore. Haven't been in a game shop in a while now.

GhaleonQ

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=3115

Soundtrack release on iTunes, though probably not a physical one.
My suspicions about Shimomura doing Mario and Luigi 3, all of the Kingdom Hearts games, and Final Fantasy XIII Versus were correct. Yutaka Minobe did most of the soundtrack. He'd worked with them on Rule Of Rose's before, and is probably best known for Panzer Dragoon and Skies Of Arcadia. http://vgmdb.net/artist/553
He's totally going to make a sequel if it sells (although it probably wouldn't continue this storyline).

GhaleonQ

Ranger X said:
So did the US date for this changed at E3 ?

The pre-E3 rush, yeah. A mere 1-month delay and prime calendar real estate means this HAS to be the last delay, though.

Agalloch

Finished.
Really great game, absolutely one of the top from third party (yes' it's not difficult on wii, but it's really good)

GhaleonQ

Agalloch said:
Finished.
Really great game, absolutely one of the top from third party (yes' it's not difficult on wii, but it's really good)

Cool. Completionist, or did you just push through to the ending?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Dascu said:
I'm very disappointed that this thread isn't more active. Hope it gets a revival with the American release.
i completely ignored everything you spoiled there, and that's why i'm not pimping this thread to high heavens yet, because i'm basically on media blackout mode on the game from here on out, a similar situation for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

once it hits the other side of the pond next month, though, i'll be bumping this thread for discussion and pimping. how do you like a new thread title of "Official Little King's Story Thread of Conquering the Americas!"?

Eteric Rice

Any idea how this game is doing in Europe?

Glad it was delayed, though. It was going to fall on the same day as the Conduit.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Eteric Rice said:
Any idea how this game is doing in Europe?

Glad it was delayed, though. It was going to fall on the same day as the Conduit.
i'm not. i want to play this game a shit ton more than that the Conduit. i'm buying both, but this game is such an instant classic that if i was forced to chose i'd jump on this game in a second. it's just got alot of love put into it, you know?

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/projecto/review.html

Little King's Story is one of those rare games that manages to keep on surprising and pleasing you as you play it. In addition to featuring amusing characters, gorgeous visuals, and challenging boss fights, it also raises interesting points about religion, the nature of leadership, the rights of monarchy, and a whole host of other things. It is not without its foibles, but Little King's Story is still a great game for any Wii-owning RPG or RTS fan.

Stryder

I'm roughly 12 hours in and am facing off at the moment against the second King, it's a tough game at times! Really enjoying it..

CTLance

I got this game on Monday. Awesome. Next up for me will be the Frog, so I'm not terribly far in the tutorial, but I like what I see. :)

Stryder said:
I'm roughly 12 hours in and am facing off at the moment against the second King, it's a tough game at times! Really enjoying it..
Yeah that one was a bitch. Awesome game, wish I had more time to play it.

Top Bottom