• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Phife Dawg said:
OK I got the game :D . Too bad work sucks and I don't have time to play it, weekend here I come.

Hell yeah :)

Guys, why some citizens have more energy pentagons (or whatever they are) than others?
How do I increase one's energy slots?

Can someone please help me get the airship parts in the God Booze quest and the quest on new island?I just can't find them.On the new island bit I can get to see the hole but its on a seperate island and I can't build a bridge to it.

Oxx

Dash Kappei said:
Guys, why some citizens have more energy pentagons (or whatever they are) than others?

I think they're allocated a random number when they are generated. There are items to equip that can increase their health and there is occasionally something in the Kingdom Plan that you can buy to increase the health of all of your subjects.

GC|Simon

I wrote a review... my very first in English. It's the first article for my new blog, you can find it here. Hope you like it. It's - like I said - my first review in English. So don't expect Edge quality or something like that ;)

Dash Kappei said:
Hell yeah :)

It's HP. There are 3 things to it.
1 Depending on the job a citizen's HP will vary: Grunts have higher HP than Farmers etc.
2 When you assign a citizen to a job he'll get a random HP within the job boundaries of HP(this means that you should strive for the highest HP for the free and cheaper jobs).
3 You'll be able to raise their HP via treasures and kingdom upgrades.

Enemy Of Fate said:
Can someone please help me get the airship parts in the God Booze quest and the quest on new island?I just can't find them.On the new island bit I can get to see the hole but its on a seperate island and I can't build a bridge to it.
I haven't reached new island yet, but I don't recall having any problem with God Booze... Oh yeah now I remember! You need to go south from the area where you fought Duvroc, a wooden gate has opened up and it's Marble Dragon time!

That's a very good effort for your first review in English, fella. A nice read. :)

Anyway, it's a crying shame more people aren't playing this. I hope the hype starts to build up again before its US release because it really does deserve all the plaudits it's been getting and more. It does have a few tiny problems, and I do think it might have benefitted from pointer controls (or at least the option to have them) but I poured 32 hours into the game just to reach the end of the story, and I'd say it could well take me as long again to do absolutely everything there is to do in the game.

It's just a beautifully put-together third-party game with genuine thought, effort and - y'know what? - love invested in just about every aspect of it. It looks lovely, it sounds fantastic, the treasure-hunting, monster-bashing gameplay is fun, the bosses are really inventive, the dialogue is wonderfully weird and witty, and the whole thing is imbued with a rare charm and a genuinely interesting mix of light and shade (and you'd best believe that it can get pretty dark when it wants to) that mark it out as a pretty damned unique title full stop.

It's not just a great Wii game, it's a great game full stop, and if it's not my personal Game of 2009 by the time December rolls around, then it'll be something very special indeed that's beaten it.

Oxx

I started the end-game stuff, but managed to die on the way up.

I felt a tad guilty abandoning some of the collection books when I was so close to completing them, but I'm not sure if I want to trawl the map just to satisfy my completist instincts.

Oxx said:
I started the end-game stuff, but managed to die on the way up.

I felt a tad guilty abandoning some of the collection books when I was so close to completing them, but I'm not sure if I want to trawl the map just to satisfy my completist instincts.
No need to make it artificially longer than needed. I always have this dilemma before doing end games. Sometimes it will ruin a good pace of a game if I wanted to 100% it all, sometimes it's ok, it kinda depends on the game and how much time I got.

Man the Boss fight for Primetime Kingdom was awesome.
As in every other boss fight in this game I had no idea what I was doing in the beginning, suddenly knives falling from the sky, infantry closing in on you, UFOs and cowboys :lol .
The cutscene was also very nice, reminded me of something Satoishi Kon would make.

Heh there was a huge trade-out in my town today. Merchants, Animal Hunters, Chefs and Lumberjacks were trading stuff to each other left and right. There seems be something new in my kingdom every single time I boot up this game.

Oh by the way, every once in a while I get the message "Rock-a-bye-baby in the treetop" what does that mean? what triggers it?

Oxx said:
My god! The UFO quest in the middle of the town is so annoying.
Beam me up scotty! :lol It took quite a chunk out of my party. Have you done the Blue Dragon quest? That was probably the most annoying to me, especially considered that I was well equipped and had some really buff soldiers with me, but I still had to try 4 times before getting the right tactic down.

Oxx

It took a couple of goes, but only because I didn't want to lose any of my men. I did leave it until after I had defeated all the kings, though. The description made it sound rather daunting.

And I spent all that time wondering what that crystal was doing and which job I needed to unlock in order to smash it...

Hero of Canton said:
That's a very good effort for your first review in English, fella. A nice read. :)

Anyway, it's a crying shame more people aren't playing this. I hope the hype starts to build up again before its US release because it really does deserve all the plaudits it's been getting and more. It does have a few tiny problems, and I do think it might have benefitted from pointer controls (or at least the option to have them) but I poured 32 hours into the game just to reach the end of the story, and I'd say it could well take me as long again to do absolutely everything there is to do in the game.

It's just a beautifully put-together third-party game with genuine thought, effort and - y'know what? - love invested in just about every aspect of it. It looks lovely, it sounds fantastic, the treasure-hunting, monster-bashing gameplay is fun, the bosses are really inventive, the dialogue is wonderfully weird and witty, and the whole thing is imbued with a rare charm and a genuinely interesting mix of light and shade (and you'd best believe that it can get pretty dark when it wants to) that mark it out as a pretty damned unique title full stop.

It's not just a great Wii game, it's a great game full stop, and if it's not my personal Game of 2009 by the time December rolls around, then it'll be something very special indeed that's beaten it.
It's also incredibly niche and has a style that's not appealing to a lot of people. Even my girlfriend, who's not into the gritty style that most "gamers" seem to love, said it looks far too kiddy and that I am a weirdo for playing a game aimed at 3 year olds :(.

Haunted

How do I get the very last
jewel from Longbeard on the mountain? Fucker runs away circling around me.

GhaleonQ

Oxx said:
Finito.

Awesome, awesome game.

Congratulations!

botticus said:
That's getting rather obnoxious. I guess it gives Amazon more time to keep dropping the price of my preorder, though. Already down to $40!

*sigh* Oh, how I wanted it for my birthday. Like I said earlier, though, this is for the best. Big open space post-E3 and post-Independence Day. It's smart.

Oxx

Ugh. I hate that empty feeling you get after finishing a long and involved game.

The ending didn't really help in that respect (but I thought it worked perfectly).

I don't think the game will be a big enough hit to justify a sequel, but I don't know where they would go after this anyway. They just realised everything so perfectly in one game.

Dascu

I've got a Mega Carpenter and a Savvy Merchant now. Any places in the early areas (Alpoko, Onii area and Sunflower Plains) where I can use them?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Kifimbo said:
Might be old, since I haven't read the whole thread, but EBGames has a new date for North America. July 21st. :( Might want to update the OP.

Source: http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72037
okay, i'm officially becoming ticked off at XSEED. i think it's great that MMV joined up with them and everything, but it's very clear that they aren't prepared for this kind of volume. i'll hold off until an official date announcement, but if this is true, i'm pissed...

this is driving me crazy, and I couldnt find the answer in the first couple pages

"Crush Your Enemies & See Them Driven Before You "

and all that that is the first post

I think I heard that on robot chicken, but that couldnt be the source... where is it from and how is it related to this game o_O

Wowbagger

PseudoKirby said:
this is driving me crazy, and I couldnt find the answer in the first couple pages

I think I heard that on robot chicken, but that couldnt be the source... where is it from and how is it related to this game o_O

It's from the first Conan movie, I think.

RBH

NetMapel said:
No, just American. Canadians get shafted once again.
angry.gif

hellclerk

PseudoKirby said:

the first Conan movie. it's related because the game is about conquering the world, which of course is awesome.

I just finished beating Duvroc and Shishkebaboo, but I didn't find the God memo for Shishkebaboo. Can someone tell me where it is or if it is even possible to get it after you defeat him?

kizmah

Duvroc is kicking my ass.
Tips for the last portion af the battle where the hopping oniis enter the ring?

Dascu

Eyemus Lutt said:
I just finished beating Duvroc and Shishkebaboo, but I didn't find the God memo for Shishkebaboo. Can someone tell me where it is or if it is even possible to get it after you defeat him?
The God Memo's don't disappear when you defeat the boss. It should still be around the entrance to the boss arena.

Duvroc is kicking my ass. Tips for the last portion af the battle where the hopping oniis enter the ring?
Eh, I just
killed the few Onii near the recovery spring, then kept sending Grunts, Hardened Fighters and some Farmers to attack Duvroc. Once he sends out new Onii, like the Hoppers, kill those first.
It was a pretty easy battle, all-in-all.

kizmah

Just beat Duvroc.
Went with grunts and hunters. That's pretty much all you need to beat him. Let the hunters shoot the drunk bastard while grunts cling on to him preventing him from barfing and spewing his fire and ice.

No one knows what triggers the message "Rock-a-bye-baby in the treetop"?

The game was reviewed by a danish geek culture tv show, and they pretty much treated it as if it was a children game... Which it is to some point, but there is just so much more to it that makes it a great game for all. The difficulty, the humor and all the little touches is not just for kids.

kizmah

Metroid Killer said:
The game was reviewed by a danish geek culture tv show, and they pretty much treated it as if it was a children game... Which it is to some point, but there is just so much more to it that makes it a great game for all. The difficulty, the humor and all the little touches is not just for kids.

The looks may be charming and "kiddy" but the game has a drunken boss that barfs on your troops. :)

I need some help in something.
I just built MagicLand but I have no clue how to make Magicians. There is no building to send carefree adults in, just some cardboard cutouts of houses.

Haunted

Eyemus Lutt said:
I need some help in something.
I just built MagicLand but I have no clue how to make Magicians. There is no building to send carefree adults in, just some cardboard cutouts of houses.
I had a similar question earlier.
You just need to wait and progress through the story. Near the end (happened after I defeated all but one king), a citizen will request an audience and tell you about strange noises or somesuch in Magicland at midnight. Go there and one you can recruit will appear.

hellclerk

thanks alot guys, by bumping the thread, you reminded me that the game was DELAYED ANOTHER FUCKING MONTH! i'll take it as all but guaranteed at this point. Amazon bumped the date too. this makes me a saaaaaad Panda. :(

Haunted said:
I had a similar question earlier.
You just need to wait and progress through the story. Near the end (happened after I defeated all but one king), a citizen will request an audience and tell you about strange noises or somesuch in Magicland at midnight. Go there and one you can recruit will appear.

Thanks then, I've been playing now for 30 hours but have only defeated the first 3 kings and just doing random quests.

Beat the Onii king and been doing quests ever since, this game is great :D . Climbing narrow stairs is a bitch though - wth were they thinking?

Dascu

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but... do citizens cheat on eachother? I married Lily and Miguel the other day (and they had a boy named Cooper), but a bit later on, I saw Miguel talking to Alice. He'd better not be getting any funny ideas.

Dascu

gamingeek said:
How do you beat this pinball boss?
Arrange a squad of your strongest men, doesn't matter what jobs they are. It's useful if you have a few Hardened Miners with you though. Anyway, just keep moving left and right, sending out your men in front of you in order to repel the boss around the pinball arena. You need to get his health/weight down to a certain amount, and you also need to break the barrier on the top of the field (this is where your miners come in handy). Beware of the rocks and other items that come rolling down. Try to avoid them, but be sure to not let the boss reach the bottom of the screen either, or he'll eat some cake to regain health/weight.

gamingeek

Dascu said:
Arrange a squad of your strongest men, doesn't matter what jobs they are. It's useful if you have a few Hardened Miners with you though. Anyway, just keep moving left and right, sending out your men in front of you in order to repel the boss around the pinball arena. You need to get his health/weight down to a certain amount, and you also need to break the barrier on the top of the field (this is where your miners come in handy). Beware of the rocks and other items that come rolling down. Try to avoid them, but be sure to not let the boss reach the bottom of the screen either, or he'll eat some cake to regain health/weight.

So I have to throw my troops out? Not just move left and right like a bumper? There is a barrier? So I have to send them out to break that down?

I don't think I have miners, do they come with the shopping arcade?

kottila

Phife Dawg said:
Beat the Onii king and been doing quests ever since, this game is great :D . Climbing narrow stairs is a bitch though - wth were they thinking?

It's not that bad if you have them in the evade formation

Oxx

It's down to £22.99 at various online retailers (well, Gameplay and Gamestation are the extent of my research).

No excuses!

kottila said:
It's not that bad if you have them in the evade formation
But to get to the Onii king you had to climb narrow stairs and iirc you couldn't buy formations before. I had to try several times to get all my guys up the slope.

Oxx said:
It's down to £22.99 at various online retailers (well, Gameplay and Gamestation are the extent of my research).

No excuses!
Indeed one of the best games I played in recent times and really meaty too.

Dascu

Question: Fuckity fuck fuck, this Red Turnip boss is pissing me off. Any help?

gamingeek said:
So I have to throw my troops out? Not just move left and right like a bumper? There is a barrier? So I have to send them out to break that down?

I don't think I have miners, do they come with the shopping arcade?
When sending troops out, they'll automatically stop after a certain distance and come back. Except for the middle of the arena, with the arrows pointing upward. Send your Miners up that path. You'll see a sign at the top of the arena with red lights that decrease if you break the barrier (difficult to put into words).

You should have Miners by now... They're between Farmer Town and Soldier Town. In other words, the South-South-West of your castle.

But to get to the Onii king you had to climb narrow stairs and iirc you couldn't buy formations before. I had to try several times to get all my guys up the slope.
I've noticed that changing the viewpoint so that you view the stairs exactly from the side helps a lot. I can get all my men across stairs in one go, even in Attack Formation.

Haunted

I diodn't pay enough attention and just got my ass kicked by the final boss. grrr!

Nice reveal/twist at the end - now go watch the intro movie again, makes much more sense.

Phife Dawg said:
That's true. I just threw them up the stairs quickly and followed before they could get behind me again. Crude solution, but it worked. :p Thankfully, it ceases to be an issue as soon as you can buy the formations.

Dascu said:
Question: Fuckity fuck fuck, this Red Turnip boss is pissing me off. Any help?
I only used Animal Hunters and not that many(around 10 or something) attack and retreat, rince repeat. If you retreat to the entrance of the battle the turnip should lose his aggro.

Top Bottom