• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Finally beat the game! 60 hours, 100%!!
Found all paintings, armor and weapons. Completed all the princess books(even the tunesmiths), got all jobs and saw the movie 'Swimming Pool' in the cinema. 171 citizens, 117 days and a crazy amount of Bol

The ending was great, although it got a bit tedious. I lost the two farmers I had with me on the way to the boss. After having died 3 times, I started over since I needed those farmers. Had to go through all the endgame again, unskippable cutscenes and all.

It was a very dark ending:
The area itself was dark and gloomy, your uncle is dead, the way the blue rat would pull your men into darkness never to see them again, alpoko getting destroyed, your princess being eaten alive, rat king spitting your dead soldiers' skulls and helmets back at you. And in the end it's just one big illusion. Very bittersweet.

Defintely my GOTY. And to think that I won the game in a Nintendo competition!

dani_dc

Seeing this thread reminds me I never saw the
doctor
despite finishing the game.

Neo C. said:
How do you make your people to
magicians
?

The
magicland
is available, but I don't get it.

You can't create them, you have to
wait until a citizien comes talk with you on the palace and says there are rumors of a real magician appearing on magicland.

I think you may have to do
all "I want to be paid" quest (the ones where you pay Verde and the other guy)
for that happen though.

Doctor: Later half of the game Carefree adults will ask you to pay donations to the Royal School. After all the donation and hospital will show up in Glamor Town where you will find the Doctor(at some point... may take a couple of days)

Magician: Late game(after beating the 7 kingdoms, and possible more requirements) Carefree adults will tell about a rumor and that you should find a Magician at Magicland midnight.

I understand that the unique jobs are very powerful and thus should be limited in some form. But I think it was enough that you could only have 1 of each, but having to wait till pretty much the end game was a bit of a stretch imo. I wanted to use my
Magician
more than I did, but when I got him there weren't much left to do. I had much more fun with my
Doc
and even more with my
Steel Knight
since I got them earlier in the game.

Victrix

*beard*
For some reason I kept mentally parsing this game as My Life as a King and had no interest.

Then I stumbled across a video of it, and got really confused at the reviews, but lack of a game to buy. Then I saw the release date.

Now I'm :(

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Okay, first US review is in, and Nintendo Power gave it a 9! i'm going to buy the actual issue as soon as i can and give a quick synopsis of it later. good to see it's making a good transition. :D

CTLance

Just trust us PAL-gaffers when we say that it's awesome and that you should own it. That's really all you need to know. Because the game is awesome.

GhaleonQ

doomed, I'm not sure if you're going to post the whole thing or add a blurb to the 1st post, so I'll just pop in the synopsis from the other topic.

NP said:
  • "Little King's Story is a deep, addictive, and thoroughly enjoyable effort that every serious gamer should experience."
  • "It's two parts Pikmin, one part Animal Crossing, and one part SimCity - a winning formula concocted with the kind of TLC you'd find in one of Nintendo's first-party titles."
  • Side quests and other diversions can take "hours and hours" of gametime.
  • "you'll find yourself saying "just a few more minutes" until it's suddenly 2 o'clock in the morning."
  • Graphics have a charming style versus being technically impressive.
  • You can get attached to your subjects, which can make it hard if they die in battle. Sometimes they'll wash up alive on the shore the next day, though.
  • "quite funny thanks to some clever writing and motley crew of eccentric bosses."
  • "Tying everything together is a sublime classical soundtrack that fits the proceedings like a glove."
  • Camera doesn't always cooperate, but it rarely detracted from the fun.
  • No motion controls whatsoever.

Get the full thing up when you'd like.

zigg

Phife Dawg said:
Would be almost perfect with a bit more polish and pointer controls.

I'm still a bit "what" over no pointer, but I doubt I'll give it a second thought once I'm actually playing, honestly.

zigg said:
I'm still a bit "what" over no pointer, but I doubt I'll give it a second thought once I'm actually playing, honestly.
You will because aiming your citizens can sometimes be a bit annoying in the midst of battle, at least in my experience. It isn't a big deal though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sooo... some questions:

Does it change anything when citizens get married?
What about the hate/love thing? Maybe it'll influence the citizens vitals I guess...

About the tax thing, how did you guys proceeded?
It seems useless to me now (I'm at 7h of gameplay, past the
Onii king
. I mean, what I'm doing is basically just to, once in a while, send some my Royal Guards into those doors (just three per house though?) for a super small amount of money.

What does it mean when citizens get the flower on top of their helmets?

I also haven't found any trees for the carefree childs to climb on yet...

Dash Kappei said:
Sooo... some questions:

Does it change anything when citizens get married?
You get citizens. Also if either husband or spouse dies, the other partner will bemoan his/her death. Haven't seen anything else. In my experience citizens in LKS are living in polygamy.

What about the hate/love thing? Maybe it'll influence the citizens vitals I guess...
Dunno.

About the tax thing, how did you guys proceeded?
It seems useless to me now (I'm at 7h of gameplay, past the
Onii king
. I mean, what I'm doing is basically just to, once in a while, send some my Royal Guards into those doors (just three per house though?) for a super small amount of money.
I don't bother, just not worth it for me. I never had any Bol related problems.

What does it mean when citizens get the flower on top of their helmets?
You sent them into the redecoration shop.

I also haven't found any trees for the carefree childs to climb on yet...
Try blue ones, also aim carefully.

Dascu

I mean, what I'm doing is basically just to, once in a while, send some my Royal Guards into those doors (just three per house though?) for a super small amount of money.
Send all your troops in to get more money. It doesn't seem to affect the popularity of the king, oddly enough. A single house doesn't give much money, though the later parts of the kingdom (Royal City) give a lot more money per house. It's worth going around your full kingdom every now and then for some good cash. I got like 3 million each time I did a full round near the end of the game.

Oxx

Q for those who finished the game:

Who did you choose to go with you on the flight? I chose Verde both times I attempted the endgame. Can you take any of the queens with you? The game did prod you fairly heavily in Verde's direction.

Marvie_3 said:
I wish it wasn't $49.99 here in the US. :\
Worth full price and more - you'll get lots of fun playing time out of this.

Hero of Legend said:
But do we know if the other regions will have progressive scan?
It's a PAL resolution which might not be supported by NTSC TV sets (I don't know, just guessing).

Marvie_3

Banned
legend166 said:
The game is meaty as hell. If you're not willing to buy this game at $49.99, I can't imagine what game you would buy at $49.99.
Summer tuition is killing me. :lol Plus my backlog is huge already.... :\

Dascu

Oxx said:

Who did you choose to go with you on the flight? I chose Verde both times I attempted the endgame. Can you take any of the queens with you? The game did prod you fairly heavily in Verde's direction.
You can take any queen, but I also picked Verde. As far as I know, it doesn't really affect the ending though.

Oxx

Dascu said:
You can take any queen, but I also picked Verde. As far as I know, it doesn't really affect the ending though.

It was between Verde and the toddler in the car. I think I made the correct choice.

zigg

I just realized the U.S. version is a mere three weeks out.

(Till "release" at least. Probably four till we're playing it here.)

Dash Kappei

legend166 said:
The game is meaty as hell. If you're not willing to buy this game at $49.99, I can't imagine what game you would buy at $49.99.

Ditto.
The game is HUGE, long and meaty.
Ehmm, hopefully this one did come out right.

Dash Kappei

I still can't make the carefree childs climb on trees (yes the blue ones)... they're the ones who are supposed to be able to climb trees, isn't that right? Because everytime I target them at those damn trees those little fuckers end up just bumping into them like any other kind of unit...

Dash Kappei said:
I still can't make the carefree childs climb on trees (yes the blue ones)... they're the ones who are supposed to be able to climb trees, isn't that right? Because everytime I target them at those damn trees those little fuckers end up just bumping into them like any other kind of unit...
That's right, never had any substantial problems. Just sometimes they bump into them due to the not-so perfect aiming mechanism - strange.

Captain N

I'm pretty pumped for this game and will be picking it up on day 1. This is one of those games that deserves to sell really well, but probably won't.. :( I sure hope i am wrong.

Delodax

As far as I know the children can only climb trees which have something in them visibly.

Haunted

Oxx said:

You can take any queen. First time I went with the first princess you rescue (the one you get the photographs for) - second time I took the Fat Princess® just for laffs.
Doesn't really change anything.

Skorp

Neo Member
Wow can't believe I didn't see this thread before. I haven't wanted a game this badly since the N64 days when I was younger. The 21st can't come soon enough. Maybe I'll read through this entire thread while I'm waiting. That would be a first for me on gaf haha.

EDIT: Too many spoilers on the first two pages already, I guess I'll just wait 3 weeks. :(

zigg

JPBrowncoat said:
Amazon has release date delivery. :D

Sure, if they get their copies in time! I'm not clinging to that given what's been what with XSEED/MMV in the past.

Regardless, when it arrives, it arrives, and I'll enjoy it!

nli10

Cool - I will hook up the Wii when it comes out in the USA and finish the Pal version then. Great game, I got distracted though!

Dascu

doomed1 said:
HUGE interview over at Nintendo of the Scandinavia with Yoshiru Kimura. there are some spoilers within, so be careful, but they have an email address where, get this:

YOU CAN SEND IN FEEDBACK DIRECTLY TO MR. KIMURA

in English only. seriously awesome stuff. you can find the link here:

http://www.nintendo.no/arkivet/sidearkiv/kimura_english
Seems he'd love to do a sequel, with a darker theme even. Or a Little Queen's Story.

That'd be really fun. :)

Oxx

Kimura-san: We definitely want to make Little King’s Story 2!

Damn.

LKS was one of the few games I have played that truly felt 100% complete. It was long enough to satisfy and never outstayed its welcome. It ended perfectly.

As much as I love the game I'm not sure if I need a sequel. At least it's heartening that he says that he would make it thematically darker.

Obviously pointer-controls would be a good addition for a sequel.

GhaleonQ

Even after I pared down my text and edited it tightly, I still sent him multiple gushing paragraphs with minute criticisms, questions about who contributed to this, his past developed games, and Love-De-Lic's breakup, and requests that he drop a reply e-mail to me and the 2 fansites out there. If he replies, I'll be sure to post. Thanks for the link (although I can't believe I missed out on the Q&A submissions).

Dascu said:
Seems he'd love to do a sequel, with a darker theme even. Or a Little Queen's Story.

That'd be really fun. :)

www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=3115

Yep, he's really pushing that idea aggressively. At the very least, it means that this artificial team could reform for a project. That's only good news, even if a straightforward sequel is unnecessary.

Top Bottom