• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Volcynika

botticus said:
Presumably my copy will ship tomorrow to get release date delivery from Amazon. I'll have to try to wrap up Conduit before then, probably not gonna happen.

My copy's delivery estimate is the 21st, so they may be shipping mine tomorrow as well! They better!

Oli

Hero of Legend said:
I preordered my copy at my local EBGames. Hopefully they'll get the game in on the 21st, with that doll! :D

That'd be nice, but knowing Gamestop/EB it won't be in until Wednesday at the earliest.

I preordered there too.

GhaleonQ

I'm really nervous for tomorrow's reviews. I've been doing the Google blog search and Twitter search for "LKS" and "Little King's Story" for the past week. Some are enthused, but no one's really gushing.

GhaleonQ said:
I'm really nervous for tomorrow's reviews. I've been doing the Google blog search and Twitter search for "LKS" and "Little King's Story" for the past week. Some are enthused, but no one's really gushing.

Well, European reviewers loved it, if that means anything.
Oddly enough, though, I think IGN will be harshest on it...

Volcynika

GhaleonQ said:

They were enthused when we thought it was originally coming here in May!

D:

Maybe!

zigg

Amazon says my (super saver) copy is being prepared for shipment. Looks like they might meet the release date after all!

(glad it won't be here for a few days, though, I have Wii Sports Resort previews and reviews to finish first) :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My Amazon Prime is getting ready to ship. Says free release day delivery, slated for the 21st.
Jumping to Amazon Prime might have been the best thing I've done in ages.

bartris

Neo Member
botticus said:
Presumably my copy will ship tomorrow to get release date delivery from Amazon. I'll have to try to wrap up Conduit before then, probably not gonna happen.
Haha,

I got the Conduit a few days ago... My Wii says I played it for one full hour the day I bought it and then played LKS for a solid 7 hours and 39 minutes.... No wonder I have sore wrists...

The boss battles in this game are absolutely awesome, Very important to save before them i've discovered for fear of taking in the wrong team!

How many copies of this game would need to sell for any possible sequel to be put into development, For the amount of 'game' thats on the disc I imagine it cost a pretty penny to develop!

botticus

bartris said:
Haha,

I got the Conduit a few days ago... My Wii says I played it for one full hour the day I bought it and then played LKS for a solid 7 hours and 39 minutes.... No wonder I have sore wrists...
That's pretty much my reasoning for wanting to finish Conduit first, otherwise who knows when I'll get back to it.

Mekere

I just loved the 60 hours I spent on Little king's story. The game is definitely not flawless but the details, the atmosphere, the musics, the story were just lovely.
So lovely that I had to start a new game just after finishing the first one just to have my lively town back. :)

About the story, am I the only one who find a resemblance with Ernst Hoffmann's count (Warning, ending spoilers:)
The Nutcracker and the Mouse King
After all:
* In both stories, toys become alive
* In the toys worlds, the main character is a prince (Nutcracker)/ a king (LKS)
* Their world is endangered by mice/rats who attack them in the real world. The mice wanting to nibble the nutcracker doll and the rats destroying the theatre.
* Most musics in town and in the city are from Tchaikovsky version of the Nutcracker (Act 1, scene 1: March /Act 2: Chinese dance/ Act 2: dance of the reed-flutes).

If we go further in this theory, we can also add as a similarity the spell cast by the rats. In the nutcracker, it's the mice king who transform the prince in nutcracker. In LKS, even if there is no transformation per se, the rats are the ones who are leading us to the toy world.

Mejilan

I finished just about all of the Conduit in one sitting yesterday. I've got about 6.5 hours total on the clock. But that's with actively seeking out all 60 Trust Discs and all 42 or so Hidden Messages. If you don't care about those, you can probably easily finish the game in about 5 hours.

Oxx

bartris said:
How many copies of this game would need to sell for any possible sequel to be put into development, For the amount of 'game' thats on the disc I imagine it cost a pretty penny to develop!

I think the Marvelous sales forecast is 120k copies of LKS in North America

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mejilan said:
I finished just about all of the Conduit in one sitting yesterday. I've got about 6.5 hours total on the clock. But that's with actively seeking out all 60 Trust Discs and all 42 or so Hidden Messages. If you don't care about those, you can probably easily finish the game in about 5 hours.
wrong thread pal. this is about a game that is good in DIRECT proportion to the amount of love put into it. :p

all love for the conduit, but yeah, i kind of wish i saved my cash for this instead.

Mejilan

Just saying, it's perfectly feasible to start and finish The Conduit before LKS lands!
Personally, I'd rather enter into LKS without any distractions.
The Conduit's basically made for replays anyway, what with the large number of difficulty levels, the stats, the achievements, and the unlockables...

hellclerk

AniHawk said:
Whoo boy are they gonna be disappointed. I don't see how this sells even around 30k.
well, first and second month i can get, but lifetime sales don't seem so far off with those numbers. 120k isn't all that bad of an expectation. they just need to be able to get the word out to an extent.

gimz

oh shit this is coming out tomorrow?? i only barely have enough money for one game... which i will be spending it on wii sport resort...

AniHawk

doomed1 said:
well, first and second month i can get, but lifetime sales don't seem so far off with those numbers. 120k isn't all that bad of an expectation. they just need to be able to get the word out to an extent.

Yeah. MadWorld had a hard time selling 100k over several months and that thing had commercials.

The best they can do is hope the Harvest Moon fanbase eats this up.

hellclerk

gimz said:
oh shit this is coming out tomorrow?? i only barely have enough money for one game... which i will be spending it on wii sport resort...
NOOOO! that game will sell gangbusters and be on the shelf for months to come! this game is something that needs as much love as it can get, since the love put into it is sincere and beautiful. don't let little Corobo and Howser down! you must conquer the world!

Oxx

AniHawk said:

Rising Star didn't manage to leverage the HM base as far as I could tell. I was shocked at how big Harvest Moon is over here, but Little King's Story didn't make much of an impact here in the UK.

hellclerk

AniHawk said:
Yeah. MadWorld had a hard time selling 100k over several months and that thing had commercials.

correction: terrible commercials. and while LKS will have to sell on internet ads, a couple of print ads, and word of mouth alone, i think it has a good chance to do the 120k they want out of it.

then again, i'm the eternal optimist, so i could just be doting on the game...

EzLink

Banned
Damn. I just checked my funds and they are... uh... quite a bit less than I was thinking. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford this. For those who have played it, would this be a game I could get the full enjoyment of from a 5 day rental?

doomed1 said:
correction: terrible commercials. and while LKS will have to sell on internet ads, a couple of print ads, and word of mouth alone, i think it has a good chance to do the 120k they want out of it.

then again, i'm the eternal optimist, so i could just be doting on the game...

WoM will be the biggest thing moving the game, I think.
The game certainly has enough substance to warrant it.

Majora

EzLink said:
Damn. I just checked my funds and they are... uh... quite a bit less than I was thinking. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford this. For those who have played it, would this be a game I could get the full enjoyment of from a 5 day rental?

Depends on how long you get to play for each day. Depending on how many of the sidequests you do you're looking at 25 hours minimum and up to 50-60 hours if you try to do everything.

So if you get to play for five hours each day, maybe, but you'd be pushing it and probably have to rush through it which is kinda missing the point.

Oxx

EzLink said:

It took me 50 hours to reach the end, but I wasn't exactly rushing through the game.

hellclerk

EzLink said:
no. it NEEDS your LOVE. and by LOVE i mean MONEY.

GhaleonQ

AniHawk said:
Japan's been perfectly fine with letting Marvelous's games die.

I'm going to pretend that Valkyria Chronicles and Little King's Story are directly comparable, and thus predict that Little King's Story wins people over in the end!

*grits teeth into frozen smile* YAY.

doomed1 said:
no. it NEEDS your LOVE. and by LOVE i mean MONEY.

Seriously. I don't like it when people pretend that purchases are obligatory, but this is the kind of thing that disappears from our shores without sales. I think that 15% of these companies' games made it here, most of which came from the main guy for this. Reward his bravery!

Mekere said:
About the story, am I the only one who find a resemblance with Ernst Hoffmann's count (Warning, ending spoilers:)
The Nutcracker and the Mouse King
After all:
* In both stories, toys become alive
* In the toys worlds, the main character is a prince (Nutcracker)/ a king (LKS)
* Their world is endangered by mice/rats who attack them in the real world. The mice wanting to nibble the nutcracker doll and the rats destroying the theatre.
* Most musics in town and in the city are from Tchaikovsky version of the Nutcracker (Act 1, scene 1: March /Act 2: Chinese dance/ Act 2: dance of the reed-flutes).

If we go further in this theory, we can also add as a similarity the spell cast by the rats. In the nutcracker, it's the mice king who transform the prince in nutcracker. In LKS, even if there is no transformation per se, the rats are the ones who are leading us to the toy world.

I think that's definitely right. Don't forget that the Rat King has 7 crowns, and that the main female what's-her-face
falls asleep after the adventure and wakes upto realize that it was a dream, after which she actualizes it in real life
. It's like The Little Prince set in the world of The Nutcracker. Good call.

MrBubbles

Banned
This looks like a good buy.

After a 20USD price drop.

Really, I'm tired of the onus being on us Americans to pick up the tab for core Wii games.

You Europeans LET this game die in your market. You have Disaster Day of Crisis, Tingle DS, and Trace Memory R and yet you hunger for more?

This is YOUR problem, not MY problem.

I'm going to pretend that Valkyria Chronicles

The only thing I see in common is both got high critical acclaim but were mostly forgotten. Until the latter got an aggressive marketing campaign by it's publisher and fans strong word of mouth campaign.

I cannot see an underdog story happening here at all, mostly because of how niche Marvelous is and their philosophy towards the Western market (Don't advertise, don't promote, don't have strong online community).

hellclerk

MrBubbles said:
This looks like a good buy.

After a 20USD price drop.

Really, I'm tired of the onus being on us Americans to pick up the tab for core Wii games.

You Europeans LET this game die in your market. You have Disaster Day of Crisis, Tingle DS, and Trace Memory R and yet you hunger for more?

This is YOUR problem, not MY problem.
if you pass up this game, which is easily the best game to release this year thus far, because you think that Europe didn't do "its par" you're not just part of the problem, you're a propagator of the problem. if it looks worth it, then get it this Wednesday and enjoy it for what it is. if not, GTFO.

dyls

Can't wait to get started on this game. Are there any deals going on this week? Otherwise, I've got my $20 gift card at TRU from Ghostbusters all ready to go.

bartris

Neo Member
dyls said:
Can't wait to get started on this game. Are there any deals going on this week? Otherwise, I've got my $20 gift card at TRU from Ghostbusters all ready to go.
Not sure about US but Aussies who havent got it can pick it up at Target for $39.95 this week!

MrBubbles

Banned
doomed1 said:
if you pass up this game, which is easily the best game to release this year thus far, because you think that Europe didn't do "its par" you're not just part of the problem, you're a propagator of the problem. if it looks worth it, then get it this Wednesday and enjoy it for what it is. if not, GTFO.

No, I'm passing up because I am not obliged to pick up the tab for anyone. That is my problem, being told what to buy just because the publisher has no interest in advertising their games. Unless you're a viral, it isn't your job to be this aggressive towards anyone remotely interested in the game.

A good game needs to sale on it's own merit, not because the platform it's own reeks of shovelware to high heaven with the worthwhile games being put up on a ridiculously high pedestal.

This doesn't look 50USD material to me so I'm going to wait it out, I'm not a sole Wii owner so I'm not starved for games. It's got good production values but not enticing enough for 50USD. I did the same for Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes, bought them both brand new at 30USD.

Why it doesn't look worth 50USD to me? If I told you, you wouldn't like the answer. So let's just leave it at that.

GhaleonQ

MrBubbles said:
Why it doesn't look worth 50USD to me? If I told you, you wouldn't like the answer. So let's just leave it at that.

Bubbles in January 2005: "Fu-mee-to You-da? Who in the hell is that? Look at that Colossus game's framerate. 50 bucks, my ass."

Would you state your concerns for the record? Do I need to post my Love-De-Lic rant again? The pedigree is genuinely flawless.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I guess Amazon sold out of their initial allocation. I have Prime and my estimated delivery date is 7/24-7/29. I pre-ordered a few days ago.

Volcynika

What has two thumbs and has an Amazon order of LKS being prepared for shipment, expected to arrive tomorrow?

This guy! *points thumbs at self*

bartris

Neo Member
MrBubbles said:
No, I'm passing up because I am not obliged to pick up the tab for anyone. That is my problem, being told what to buy just because the publisher has no interest in advertising their games. Unless you're a viral, it isn't your job to be this aggressive towards anyone remotely interested in the game.

A good game needs to sale on it's own merit, not because the platform it's own reeks of shovelware to high heaven with the worthwhile games being put up on a ridiculously high pedestal.

This doesn't look 50USD material to me so I'm going to wait it out, I'm not a sole Wii owner so I'm not starved for games. It's got good production values but not enticing enough for 50USD. I did the same for Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes, bought them both brand new at 30USD.

So dont buy it then.... Who cares? Let the people who are and want to play the game have this thread, you go talk in a thread about the games you are buying and are playing..

Mejilan

Diseased Yak said:
I guess Amazon sold out of their initial allocation. I have Prime and my estimated delivery date is 7/24-7/29. I pre-ordered a few days ago.

Weird. I preordered a few days ago, also have Prime, and my delivery estimate is for the 21st (free release date delivery).

Oxx

To be fair, I wouldn't have bought Little King's Story on launch day without the £20 of Game vouchers burning a hole in my pocket.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Question to the EU completists/fast NA players regarding the final boss.

Once I defeat the rats can I go back to my kingdom and keep playing or does the game end?

Dascu

RichardAM said:
Question to the EU completists/fast NA players regarding the final boss.

Once I defeat the rats can I go back to my kingdom and keep playing or does the game end?
You keep your pre-final area save file, so you can always start the game up again to do more quests.

Top Bottom