• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Mekere

GhaleonQ said:
I think that's definitely right. Don't forget that the Rat King has 7 crowns, and that the main female what's-her-face
falls asleep after the adventure and wakes upto realize that it was a dream, after which she actualizes it in real life
. It's like The Little Prince set in the world of The Nutcracker. Good call.

Yes exactly :)
And what I love the most with this theory is that it means that all we did during the game
was for real. I must admit that I was a little scared because of all the toy-ish world we were playing in like the giants lego and the corner of the box with the cardboard moon you can see when you're on the top of the mountain. I would have been really disappointed if it was only a dream or a child play...

@Zzoram
Little king story for sure. Anno is very nice but is not as charming and fun.

birdchili

i don't think this game has an obviously bigger appeal than MadWorld did, but MadWorld always seemed like a terrible fit for the wii audience, whereas LKS seems like something that might get some word-of-mouth momentum.

100k+ seems mighty optimistic.

The Hermit

Beated last night the 7th king and its official: this game is pure genius!

Nº 2 game in my Wii library loosing obviously, but barelly to Super Mario Galaxy.

zigg

birdchili said:
i don't think this game has an obviously bigger appeal than MadWorld did, but MadWorld always seemed like a terrible fit for the wii audience, whereas LKS seems like something that might get some word-of-mouth momentum.

I'm not even really sure what the "Wii audience" is, to be honest.

Should be interesting to see where it goes. I did my part, at least. :)

MrBubbles

Banned
bartris said:
So dont buy it then.... Who cares? Let the people who are and want to play the game have this thread, you go talk in a thread about the games you are buying and are playing..

Because I know when NPD comes around, people who didn't buy this game will be treated like the black sheep of the Wii userbase. You guys have sold me on the game, I'm just going to wait it out for the price drop to come about.

Some publishers are already marking down their games for Wii before launch. Klonoa comes to mind as the most recent example.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the pressure being given to us Americans when Europe let us down with Disaster.

GhaleonQ

Zzoram said:
Has anyone played both this and Anno 1404 Dawn of Discovery? Which do you prefer and why?

I'm biased, obviously, but I say Little King's Story will likely be 2009's best game. Anno is Anno but in 1404, whereas you probably haven't seen anything like Little King's Story before (apart from a lot of the gameplay). I like Anno enough to call gameplay comparisons dependent on whether you like Pikmin or Anno better, but everything else is Little King's Story in a walk. You could play both equally long.

Mekere said:
Yes exactly :)
And what I love the most with this theory is that it means that all we did during the game
was for real.

The ending copies 1 of their other games' endings, in which
believing in the fantasy makes it real, so you're not just speculating. It's pretty much fact.

MrBubbles said:
I just wanted to share my thoughts on the pressure being given to us Americans when Europe let us down with Disaster.

Like I said, browbeating people is stupid, but there's a large difference between, "I don't see why this is 50 dollars," (ESPECIALLY because the developers are among the industry's best) and "I don't want to spend 50 dollars on it." The latter's your prerogative, the former's denigrating something about which you have a massive dearth of information. I'd prefer that you research it or post your current theories.

zigg

MrBubbles said:
You guys have sold me on the game, I'm just going to wait it out for the price drop to come about.

I just did a cursory check of the XSEED titles I could immediately recall on Amazon—they haven't dropped, and I don't believe they've been on sale.

I suspect you might be waiting a bit.

birdchili

zigg said:
I'm not even really sure what the "Wii audience" is, to be honest.
:)

how about "people who own the wii console" (yeah - i don't mean to paint them all with the same brush or anything) - i'm generalizing, obviously.

wii is the "blue sky in games" console this gen i would say, having the majority of the feel good, happy-tone games. LKS fits this mould even though it's in a genre that has very little cred on the platform. MW always seemed to me to be a harder sell (not that it isn't worthwhile trying this sort of thing). MW seemed a better fit tone-wise with another console, whereas LKS seems quite at home on wii, in spite of a lack of other rts/rpg/explorey stuff on the platform.

GhaleonQ

birdchili said:
LKS fits this mould even though it's in a genre that has very little cred on the platform. MW always seemed to me to be a harder sell (not that it isn't worthwhile trying this sort of thing). MW seemed a better fit tone-wise with another console, whereas LKS seems quite at home on wii, in spite of a lack of other rts/rpg/explorey stuff on the platform.

I've sent, "Why is MadWorld or The Conduit a realistic future for the Wii, but not Little King's Story or Muramasa?" questions to the popular podcasts whenever they ask for submissions, but they've never answered. Then again, would a barrage of Zack And Wikis crack the audience? Who can say?

And the video game hipster crowd is on the case. That Leigh Alexander-sort network is loving it. At the very least, their audience (however small) is more likely to pick up recommendations than someone who frequents IGN.

I've got my copy pre-ordered. The guy even gave me the bonus pre-order gift beforehand.

I can't wait, been looking forward to this game since it was first announced.

Volcynika

zigg said:
I just did a cursory check of the XSEED titles I could immediately recall on Amazon—they haven't dropped, and I don't believe they've been on sale.

I suspect you might be waiting a bit.

If it matters, Rune Factory Frontier was an Amazon DotD for 50% off barely a month after release. D:

Sold out fast, too!

zigg

Volcynika said:
If it matters, Rune Factory Frontier was an Amazon DotD for 50% off barely a month after release. D:

Well, that's the last time I make assertions!

Volcynika said:
Sold out fast, too!

That's simultaneously reassuring and troubling. :D

Zzoram

GhaleonQ said:
I'm biased, obviously, but I say Little King's Story will likely be 2009's best game. Anno is Anno but in 1404, whereas you probably haven't seen anything like Little King's Story before (apart from a lot of the gameplay). I like Anno enough to call gameplay comparisons dependent on whether you like Pikmin or Anno better, but everything else is Little King's Story in a walk. You could play both equally long.

Does LKS have some kind of free-play mode then?

Haunted

Everyone listen to GhaleonQ, he is not exaggerating. The game is that good.

EzLink said:
For those who have played it, would this be a game I could get the full enjoyment of from a 5 day rental?
You'll make it through the main story if you play 8 hours a day.

GhaleonQ said:
The ending copies 1 of their other games' endings, in which
believing in the fantasy makes it real, so you're not just speculating. It's pretty much fact.
Awesome, I hoped my interpretation would be correct. :p Which other game is that?

XSEED said that Rune Factory Frontier has only sold "okay" last I checked.

As I said earlier, LKS has, and still is in the top 100 overall bestselling games at Amazon!

Going as high as #72 last night! :O

GhaleonQ

Zzoram said:
Does LKS have some kind of free-play mode then?

No, but (correct me if I'm wrong) Anno doesn't hold up to playtime standards that no game should have to face: those of Civilization or Starcraft or whatever. There's a ton to do in Little King's Story, so people will finish up with them around the same time.

Haunted said:
Awesome, I hoped my interpretation would be correct. :p Which other game is that?

Totally off-topic post coming about Moon: Remix RPG Adventure, with the exception of Little King's Story's ending. If you can read Japanese, I don't want to spoil it. I do not care about spoilers at all, but the game it borrows from is my favorite game of all-time, so I don't want to ruin anything for anyone. It won't get translated, so if you can't, it's okay. Also, you have to register for Nico Nico Douga (NeoGAF has a tutorial).

Premise and beginning of the game:
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/lovedelic/lovedelic.htm
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/moon/index.html
Middle: So, basically the game is like a more bittersweet The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I won't go into every quest. The premises of the quests are fond homages to classic Japanese RPGs, but what you do them is basically a takedown of mindless, inconsequential gameplay. Your quests mock grinding, monster slaying, 1-note characters, illogical quests, RPG politics, and so on. The Hero who you played at your home is actually a ravaging, thoughtless, self-aggrandizing villain and he's constantly a thorn in your side as you try to fix the souls of the people in the world. You start actual relationships with NPCs in the game. It's praising how games can make us feel while castigating how they make us feel it, all while trying to pave a new way.
End: So, by the end of the game, the old woman whose house you recharge in (the person who made Chibi-Robo made this) cares about you being made real in this world, because her son went missing long ago and she misses him. You have to decide if you're the hero of legend, and what that means. At the beginning of the game, you control the Hero in the video game. I'll just post parts:
Guards: "The King awaits."
Chancellor: "The King awaits."
King: "Ohh, you've come at last, legendary hero."
"There is an evil dragon who lives in the 'Dragon Castle', and..."
"...it ate up the moon that sits in the night sky."
"There is no one who can defeat this dragon... but you."
"You are strong and wonderful, and thus I must ask of your assistance."
King: "To reach the next level..."
"...you need 300 more experience."
Chancellor: "The dragon is a difficult opponent. Take heed, and defeat it
well."
Cabinet: "Hero searched the cabinet."
"Hero found an item!"
"Received 'Legendary Helmet'!"
"Received 'Legendary Armor'!"
"Received 'Legendary Shoes'!"
Cabinet: "Hero searched the cabinet."
"Nothing there."
(Leaving, the hero gets knocked backwards by something... hmmmm...)
You find out that the Hero's armor is actually cursed part of the way through the actual game. Anyway, at the end, you end up (optionally) finding this white arrow in a hidden spot. It's SUPER optional, since the official strategy guide doesn't tell you what it's for. So, what's a white arrow mean? Have you played Okami? When a white arrow lands on a person's house in old Japan, they were "chosen" by the kami to do a task. It's a common phrase in Japan, apparently, for a fateful turning point. So, it turns out that the chancellor in the game needed to create a hero to save the world. So, he shot it at a certain person in the game. This person put on the cursed Hero Armor and lost his memories and his sanity. Who else disappeared around that time? The old lady's son. You're "replaying" Moon after you essentially killed her son when you were playing the game-within-a-game. Your actions had consequences.
So, by the end of the game, you go on a flight sequence a lot like the one in Little King's Story. You go to the Moon, instead of "the real world" in Little King's Story. You're trying to fulfill your destiny by opening the gate. Go to www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/573238/50336 and skip to == ENDING TRANSLATION ==
Part 1: www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1136200
Part 2: www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1136326
You...failed? But you did what the game wanted you to do! You played the game the right way! You got 100% souls healed! Let me repost part of the translation:
...if you should hold within you more love than levels...
...you may have the power to change the fate written in these kiban...
Please do not forget... Shuya...
...when a door appears before you once again...
...you must open this door, with the power of your own love...
Open the door...
Please, open the door...
Open the door, Shuya...
Mom's voice: HEEY!!
...cut out those video games, and get to bed already!!
So, what now? When you lose in the game, you go to a typical Continue screen. Not continuing makes you go to bed in the real world, and continuing continues. Now, you get to the ending and the final puzzle. Continue? Yes, or no? "Yes," right?
www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1136449
Powerful. Think about that last puzzle. Love more than levels? Door? The answer is "No." That's the way you would really want to lead your life, and that's what the game was trying to teach you all along. Games should affect your behavior like "real art" does, or it's meaningless.
www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1136481
And then it's pretty much Little King's Story ending/credits from then on.

Sorry. I've been wanting to gush about it for a long time, but I've been too busy. What better time to make an annoyingly long post than the day before my mid-terms?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Volcynika said:

Sold out fast, too!
and i'm one of the ones who bought it at that time too. i know, i know, i should have bought it at full price. i'm an unemployed student. don't judge me :X

birdchili said:

actually, i'd have to say that LKS has much more appeal than Madworld, if only because it's significantly tamer visually. the mechanics are simple enough and the surface themes mild enough that younger gamers can enjoy it, but the themes are deep enough and the systems endearing enough that more mature players can love it too. (note i am using mature here, not M FOR MATURE). Madworld also had its own appeal, and that was mostly in the humor, but that was squandered by their poorly planned advertising.

also, too bad about Mrbubbles. i didn't care one way or the other if he wanted to buy the game, but i did want to get the chance to call him a cheapskate :p
i know i shouldn't talk

anyway, finally got my preorder down
DSCF0279.jpg

haven't named the oni yet. was thinking about Larry or some such...

Oli

How are you guys getting the preorder bonus already? I was under the impression that you got it alongside the game... Hopefully Gamestop saves one for me, since I preordered about a year ago...

Magypsy23 said:
Why isn't Japan getting this? :mad:

Who says they're not? The game's over a month away until release in Japan, so they have time to announce it.

And didn't that doll show up in PAL at one point? I thought it did, maybe not.

Volcynika

Woo!

Just shipped :D

"Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Little King's Story $46.99 1 $46.99

Shipped via UPS

estimated delivery date: July 21, 2009"

kottila

I got stuck after the second(third?) king where the game opens up a bit and you can choose the next one, but I couldn't get into any new kingdoms. Do you have to take a side mission to open them up or am I just not finding the correct entrance?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Volcynika said:
Woo!

Just shipped :D

"Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Little King's Story $46.99 1 $46.99

Shipped via UPS

estimated delivery date: July 21, 2009"

Just got the notification as well. Details the same as yours. :)

Mejilan said:
Just got the notification as well. Details the same as yours. :)

How did you guys get release date shipping from Amazon? I preordered on April 16 and I have Prime. What did I do wrong (I'm in line for delivery on 7/22)?

Volcynika

yoursisterspretty said:
How did you guys get release date shipping from Amazon? I preordered on April 16 and I have Prime. What did I do wrong (I'm in line for delivery on 7/22)?

It's on the game's page until it hits some sort of deadline (probably today or this past weekend). It's actually available for everyone, but of course Prime members get it free. This isn't available for all games unfortunately, but I only got wind of it when someone posted in this thread about it.

You basically just have to change your order's mode of shipping, they won't email you about it or anything :/

Mejilan

That's odd. Amazon emails me if a game I have preordered becomes available for release-date delivery shipping. They were doing this even before I joined Prime (a few nights ago).

zigg

Mine shipped Super Saver today—I know I put my order in fairly early on. They say the 27th but if my experience is anything to go by, I should have it around Wednesday.

I'd laugh pretty hard if I got it tomorrow... it's happened. :lol

Volcynika

Mejilan said:
That's odd. Amazon emails me if a game I have preordered becomes available for release-date delivery shipping. They were doing this even before I joined Prime (a few nights ago).

Only emails I get from them about orders are "Review your purchases!" and "Here's a preorder bonus (online comic or w/e usually)"

:/

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Mejilan said:

Yeah, I'm really not sure what's up with this game in particular. I've had Prime for going on a year now, nearly, and even if I don't choose release date delivery, or if it isn't available yet on a given pre-order, it ALWAYS upgrades it automatically and sends me an email.

For LKS, though, which I ordered I believe 3 days ago, release date delivery wasn't an option, nor did it upgrade my order as such.

Doesn't really matter to me, really, just odd. I'm still getting free 2-day, and in fact I just got an email saying it shipped already and will be here Wed.

Still, odd that this one game out of who knows how many turned out to be different. My only guess is that I pre-ordered it too close to shipping.

one_kill

I got it when it was released here in Aus back in April. It's a great game. I'd easily give it an 8.5.

Things I liked about this game:
- Charming look and humour
- Music and sounds
- Simple gameplay (I don't think it needs IR btw as the lock-on feature fares just fine)
- Epic boss battles (all of which is quite different)
- Collecting/gathering information
- Your kingdom (it's just fun to explore and have your peasants greet you)
- Princesses (lol)
- Changing the pictures to be displayed in your castle
- Side quests are plenty

Things I didn't like about the game:
- Not as many classes of people and enemies (though the small/medium bosses and kings are fun)
- Ending sucks
- Little replayability once completed
- Side quests are often repeated

The last two keep it from being a 9 for me. I'd like to at least have some incentive to undertake more side quests, as well as go back to the game after finishing it, but alas that's not to be. Still worth the purchase. I spent 30+ hours on it :p

Mine shipped out super saver too...so I expect it in a week or 2. Fine by me as what will likely happen is that WSR will take over the Wii for awhile whenever that pre-order finally ships. :lol

gimz

so i just found out my Animal Crossing Wii have the TIV of $30, i will probably go trade it + pay the extra to get this game today if they have it in store!! :D

Mejilan

Lamenting games showing up on the Wii or DS instead of "more powerful alternatives" is ban worthy. Actually, crying about any game showing up on one platform and not others is ban worthy. It contributes in absolutely no way to any discussion, and only serves to rile up people at worst, or derail a conversation at best.

Tolerance for such nonsense is even lower for a Junior Member, as that particular casualty was. Thus, the perma-ban.

Okay, where is this game in Canada? :/ No Canadian retailers seem to be acknowledging its release. Anybody else having this problem? It's not even showing up on Futureshop or Best Buy.

Top Bottom