• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Dascu

Zzoram said:
Does this game use pointer controls? Does it require the classic controller?
Oddly enough, it doesn't use pointer controls. You basically just turn towards the object or enemy that you want to attack. I don't think it supports the GameCube controller, and I'm not sure about the Classic Controller either.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Zzoram said:
Does this game use pointer controls? Does it require the classic controller?
neither. no motions either from what i remember. it's just a good game. treat it as one.

sonicmj1

AniHawk said:
They're just upset they didn't get in the credits.

Oh, I'm gonna ride them on this a long time

When exactly did this occur?

I'm not surprised, but I don't know the details.

hellclerk

Amir0x said:
That is odd it doesn't use pointer controls... this is one of those games where even I would like it.
well, there's a quote somewhere in here with the developers word on the lack of pointer controls, that they didn't seem necessary or something like that. if they make another, it would be a good thing to implement.

sonicmj1 said:
When exactly did this occur?

I'm not surprised, but I don't know the details.
the Conduit. IGN was in the end credits for special thanks, likely for pushing the game like they did.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Amir0x said:
Also, saying something has a lackluster story is not an 'error' but a different opinion, so I'm sure you didn't mean that

Well, yes it's an opinion - but I'd count it an error to throw that in as a negative point in a reasoned review without going at least some way to saying why he considers it lacklustre.

The Eurogamer review at least goes some way to explaining the difference between the surface reading and the undercurrents of the story(http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/little-kings-story-review).

More generally, I rather wish someone would review LKS without starting off with Pikmin/Harvest Moon comparisons - which seem to set them off on the wrong tack.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
That is odd it doesn't use pointer controls... this is one of those games where even I would like it.

After playing Overlord on the Wii and playing this for an hour last night... I was really bumming that there was no pointing.

hampig

So, for anyone who's played this for a considerable amount of time, are you introduced to new things fairly consistently? Also, is it worth the money if this will be the last game I get for quite a few months?

Oxx

I don't think that pointer controls would integrate perfectly into the game as it exists today. There are just too many different units to juggle. They obviously made the decision to go the way they did fairly early in the process.

It would be great if they had the chance to make a sequel with pointer controls and a more manageable number of units.

gerg

Amir0x said:

Meh. You get used to it, but I agree that it was certainly an odd decision.

Anyway, I bought the game used for £18 last week, sunk around six or seven hours in, but haven't played it since.

In reality, I'm scared to. I didn't realise that quests had time limits, so I signed up for five at once, and now I've got two to do "tomorrow" (in in-game time), and one to do the day after. I don't want to not do them, either. Everything was going pretty nigh-on perfect as well, until I forgot about a villager who washed up on shore. Apparently she died, and when the new day started people were walking around wearing black... ;(

Otherwise, the game is great. It was worryingly linear in the beginning, but then it really opened up. Great stuff, truly.

hellclerk

hampig said:
So, for anyone who's played this for a considerable amount of time, are you introduced to new things fairly consistently? Also, is it worth the money if this will be the last game I get for quite a few months?
this is one of the games of the year, so yes.

Amir0x

Banned
phisheep said:
Well, yes it's an opinion - but I'd count it an error to throw that in as a negative point in a reasoned review without going at least some way to saying why he considers it lacklustre.

The Eurogamer review at least goes some way to explaining the difference between the surface reading and the undercurrents of the story(http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/little-kings-story-review.

More generally, I rather wish someone would review LKS without starting off with Pikmin/Harvest Moon comparisons - which seem to set them off on the wrong tack.

I don't care about reviews at all, but thanks for the link. Eurogamer is one of the only places where I can occasionally read their reviews without vomiting on my screen.

Majora

Amir0x said:
Can you give an example of the errors? Also, saying something has a lackluster story is not an 'error' but a different opinion, so I'm sure you didn't mean that

If I'm honest it's me being nitpicky, but considering I completed the game over two months ago and this review has only just been written I wish they wouldn't get stuff wrong like the number of kings in the game for example. It makes me wonder how much attention they paid And him saying people cower in fear when you collect taxes just seems like something he made up. I collected them all the time and never saw that, it didn't really seem to affect the populace at all.

are you introduced to new things fairly consistently?

Yes, that was one of my favourite things about it. Dunno if the game would last you a few months, it depends on how often and long you play it and how much side-stuff you do.

Btw Gerg I wouldn't worry about the time running out on the some of the side-quests since they get repeated a lot throughout the game. I don't think there's anything you can miss out on.

Dascu

hampig said:
You constantly expand your town to get more buildings where you can recruit new units. The enemy types keep changing, and they're not just stronger rehashes of the same enemies in the first area. So yeah, the core gameplay mechanic remains constant, but it keeps building on that, forcing you to re-evaluate your gameplay strategy at each new area.

It should keep you occupied for a while, especially if you want to do all the collection quests.

gerg

Majora said:
Btw Gerg I wouldn't worry about the time running out on the some of the side-quests since they get repeated a lot throughout the game. I don't think there's anything you can miss out on.

Really? Because I thought the letters you receive say that if you cancel them you can't do them again. Hmm...

Majora

gerg said:
Really? Because I thought the letters you receive say that if you cancel them you can't do them again. Hmm...

You can, but you have to wait for another letter to randomly come asking you to do the quest again. You get lots of chances to fight all the different enemies, though sometimes the area you find them in gets changed. But there's no one-shot enemies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Amir0x said:

I've been pondering this a bit, since I've enjoyed the Pikmin reworkings and had the same initial reaction. But I suspect it wouldn't work as well in LKS - the reason being that movement is *very* tight especially in areas you have built up. That's a design thing, it really helps with the sense of scale - but on reflection it wouldn't be as easy to navigate with the pointer.

The other aspect is aiming, where you need line-of-sight for both of (a) having your troops run to whereever-it-is and (b) shooting arrows. The straight-line targetting works well for this and you can immediately see what is in the way - again I'm not certain that pointer control would really have made it any easier. The more open landscapes in Pikmin are what makes the pointer use so intuitive.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but my suspicion is to make pointer work really effectively they might have had to compromise on something else that they didn't want to compromise on.

GhaleonQ

I assume that everyone finished it, but there have been a lot of reviews that criticized on the story. This company ALWAYS knocks the story out of the park. That's why I play their games.

Majora said:
I've got my flaming torch and pitchfork ready for the IGN review. Bring it on Matt :lol

I have the thesaurus.com pages for "imbecile," "abomination," and "inferno" favorited.

Amir0x said:
Can you give an example of the errors? Also, saying something has a lackluster story is not an 'error' but a different opinion, so I'm sure you didn't mean that

"I'll admit firsthand..." That doesn't... Oh, REVIEW errors:

Majora said:
If I'm honest it's me being nitpicky, but considering I completed the game over two months and this reviews has only just been written I wish they wouldn't get stuff wrong like the number of kings in the game for example. It makes me wonder how much attention they paid And him saying people cower in fear when you collect taxes just seems like something he made up. I collected them all the time and never saw that, it didn't really seem to affect the populace at all.

hellclerk

Oxx said:
It doesn't really matter.
i guess, but it would be fun to rip on them, especially after that abortion of a Conduit review. not that i disagreed overall, i actually agree with their final verdict, it was just so poorly written. i expect similar here.

Amir0x

Banned
doomed1 said:
any objections to me making a thread specifically to rag on the IGN LKS review?

yes, don't do that. It'd be one thing if you just wanted to make a thread for the review, but this statement says you can't be objective. So someone else will do it, if they do it at all.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
hampig said:

It's a game that you can take quite slowly - in fact it is probably better that way, as some of the conversations get rather monotonous once you hit the endgame, so you are better off picking off the side quest stuff as you go along. If you do that, and have at least one out of three of job/family/social life to keep you otherwise occupied I would says there's a couple of months worth in there.

There are certainly depths to explore. For example, you can find out at any time just how many citizens love or hate you or are indifferent - but there's absolutely no indication why. If you want to keep all your citizens happy it is entirely up to you to find out and fix whatever it is, and there is no shortcut to that in the game, not that I can find anyway. But if you happen to talk to an unhappy citizen you'll get an earful in reply.

New stuff crops up both in a structured way through new game areas, and through random quests and exploring, and through the building you do - the pacing depends very much on what you choose to build/explore/tackle. Take on too much too fast and you will find, like me, that you have to become very adept at running away.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Majora said:
And him saying people cower in fear when you collect taxes just seems like something he made up. I collected them all the time and never saw that, it didn't really seem to affect the populace at all.

Agreed - they don't cower in fear. They just stay inside their house and pay up. He made that bit up.

I'm less certain as to whether it affects them somehow - I think that if you hit the same house too much for tax that is one of the things that makes the citizens dislike you.

billy.sea

Banned
IGN's review is usually based on the relationship between the developer/publisher and IGN themselves. If they have strong ties with lots of exclusive previews then it will get high score.

hellclerk

Amir0x said:
yes, don't do that. It'd be one thing if you just wanted to make a thread for the review, but this statement says you can't be objective. So someone else will do it, if they do it at all.
eh, i could drop the thread with just the facts and let there be a reaction to it before posting. i can post my opinion of it here without having to post the other one.

GhaleonQ

The Gamespot Hotspot (urgh) didn't mention it at all, which makes me wonder if it will get a U.S. review.

doomed1 said:
eh, i could drop the thread with just the facts and let there be a reaction to it before posting. i can post my opinion of it here without having to post the other one.

Wait, do we know that it's bad/poorly argued yet? I'm not one to give IGN too much credit, but...

hellclerk

GhaleonQ said:
The Gamespot Hotspot (urgh) didn't mention it at all, which makes me wonder if it will get a U.S. review.
i think they might just have reviewed the UK version for the US. it's not like it's all that different.

Wait, do we know that it's bad/poorly argued yet? I'm not one to give IGN too much credit, but...
good point, though knowing them, especially after the NMH review, they'll probably end up complaining about controls/visual style/not being Pikmen. i'll give em the benefit of the doubt until they actually have it up.

Amir0x

Banned
I forgot they ragged on NMH a little bit. They still gave it six points too high, but maybe IGN isn't so bad after all

hellclerk

Amir0x said:
I forgot they ragged on NMH a little bit. They still gave it six points too high, but maybe IGN isn't so bad after all
oh, we all know your opinion of NMH Amir0x, except that the reasons IGN ragged on it were different than yours, at least if i remember correctly...

one_kill

I think IGN's going to give it an 8. They'll probably complain about the lack of IR, the lack of incentive to go back to the game once you've completed it, the lack of variety in side quests, and not having control of how you manage your kingdom.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
one_kill said:
the lack of incentive to go back to the game once you've completed it

They might (or might not) complain about it, but I don't think it is true - not for me anyway. It is so long since I started that I have forgotten what the kingdom looked like before I built on every last square inch of it.

It'll be a bit like going on an archaeological dig playing it through again with foresight.

mclem

hampig said:
So, for anyone who's played this for a considerable amount of time, are you introduced to new things fairly consistently?
The best comparison I can give, I think, is Psychonauts. While the base gameplay remains mostly unchanged throughout, there's such creativity in some of the setpieces that it always feels inventive; the boss battles in particular have so many memorable moments in them.

hellclerk

one_kill said:
I think IGN's going to give it an 8. They'll probably complain about the lack of IR, the lack of incentive to go back to the game once you've completed it, the lack of variety in side quests, and not having control of how you manage your kingdom.
it'll still last longer than the Conduit did for me :p

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Pretty excited for this shit. Now this looks like an awesome third party Wii game.

Yet it gets ignored in favor of The Conduit of all things.

Same with Icarian. It boggles the mind.

Chumly

IGN Review is up (They stuck by their word that The Conduit is better than LKS!)

8.5 Presentation
The cinemas, style, characters, world, humor, and overall vision is nothing short of amazing. The musical production could have been better though, and some Wii functionality is ignored.
8.0 Graphics
The art style wins out over a few technical issues, but they’re in there. A crisper, clearer playfield view would have been great, considering the art direction is nothing short of captivating.
8.5 Sound
There’s plenty of voiceover work and the music is well composed. With that being said, the music is also public domain. Yoko Shimomura is capable of so much more, and feels under-used.
8.0 Gameplay
All of the elements are presented well, balanced, and a lot of fun. No pointer control is a serious oversight though. This could have been 9.0 quality with the right implementation.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
One of the deeper and more engaging Wii-exclusive adventures out there. Give it time, and Little King’s Story will pull you in. Bring on a sequel.
Great OVERALL

(out of 10 / not an average)
Still a good score though

IGN review

IGN has posted their review. Gave it an 8.5.

What we first saw with a promising little title called Project O has grown and thrived into a game that truly feels at home on Wii, and while it's missing what I would consider to be a few key elements on the system Little King's Story is one I hope to see played and enjoyed by Wii owners, and given its rightful sequel down the line.

Pointing directly at objects is not only natural, but is expected on a system like Wii, so while the game is certainly playable and fun (very fun, I might add) it feels like we're now waiting for a "New Play Control: Little King's Story" to truly get the game's full potential. Huge oversight.

Basically, great game, lacks pointer controls, has very soft graphics (should be nice for my LCD :lol ). It also has public domain music, which sounds really disappointing. Regardless, I have no regrets on my pre-order :D

EDIT: Beaten. Oh well.

Top Bottom