• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
GhaleonQ said:
YET THEY SPITE ME WITH THEIR WORDS. "The only major retail release this week is...uh...Wii Sports Resort. Which is something something awesome you should buy."
they seriously said that? someone needs some edumacations...

GhaleonQ

doomed1 said:
they seriously said that? someone needs some edumacations...

Although now that I think about it, The King Of Fighters XII is coming up, too. I think Jeff, at least, knows about that. I suppose I have to accept that they just forgot. *shakes fist* My anger has receded!

hellclerk

GhaleonQ said:
Although now that I think about it, The King Of Fighters XII is coming up, too. I think Jeff, at least, knows about that. I suppose I have to accept that they just forgot. *shakes fist* My anger has receded!
NO! stand tall! stay angry! your anger amuses me! i mean... No game this awesome deserves to be forgotten! ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWER!

GhaleonQ

doomed1 said:
NO! stand tall! stay angry! your anger amuses me! i mean... No game this awesome deserves to be forgotten! ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWER!

BRAD SHOEMAKER IS LITERALLY STALIN.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Amir0x said:
I just want to jump in here to say you need something called "perspective"

Here's some perspective: The Conduit > Little King's Story

...Not really, of course. The Conduit is hilariously mediocre (having passed into the "hilarious" category after months and months of IGN pimpage and still sucking). But there lies the exact reason why any sort of discussion around IGN reviews is just plain old stupid.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Reviews and Wiimote discussion aside, the game rocks. Just be happy that you American fools are getting the chance to taste it.

GhaleonQ

doomed1 said:
That's the spirit! NOW WHO WE GONNA CONQUER!?

*tears Bozon's collarbone in 2*

speedpop said:
Reviews and Wiimote discussion aside, the game rocks. Just be happy that you American fools are getting the chance to taste it.

Chulip. Rule Of Rose. Little King's Story. I have no idea how he gets his games released over here, especially considering his buddies' failures to do so. *shrugs* Sex pictures of every industry figure?

justchris

GhaleonQ said:
YET THEY SPITE ME WITH THEIR WORDS. "The only major retail release this week is...uh...Wii Sports Resort. Which is something something awesome you should buy."

Apparently LKS isn't even worthy of their mockery.

gimz

i had to choose btw this and wii sport resorts, then i found out i can get 30 dollars tiv from my local EB games, now i dont feel as bad for getting both game this week!! :D
but they dont have it in store today yet, probably tomorrow ;D

excited

Skorp

Neo Member
For those who have had it for a while. Is it normal to lose citizens in battle or should that be avoided at all costs? I hate losing my peoples and I keep replaying the battles till I get them perfect. It's kind of slowing the game down and ruining it for me a bit. Should I stop caring so much? Does the population increase normally anyway after people die?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GhaleonQ said:
Chulip. Rule Of Rose. Little King's Story. I have no idea how he gets his games released over here, especially considering his buddies' failures to do so. *shrugs* Sex pictures of every industry figure?

Wait, the developer behind Rule of Rose made this game? Ugh I absolutely hated Rule of Rose. Chulip, on the other hand, was pretty fun.

GhaleonQ

FlyinJ said:
Wait, the developer behind Rule of Rose made this game? Ugh I absolutely hated Rule of Rose. Chulip, on the other hand, was pretty fun.

But both are pretty unforgiving, right? Yet 1 other did Chibi-Robo (which made it here), Captain Rainbow (which would sell here), and a pretty commercial mix between Animal Crossing, Moon, and Chulip. The other did my favorite of the Chulip-like trio and a Dokapon Kingdom/that other 360 game that escapes me game. Yet, those 2 made it here. Now this. Weird.

gimz said:

*shakes hand*

Skorp said:
For those who have had it for a while. Is it normal to lose citizens in battle or should that be avoided at all costs? I hate losing my peoples and I keep replaying the battles till I get them perfect. It's kind of slowing the game down and ruining it for me a bit. Should I stop caring so much? Does the population increase normally anyway after people die?

Every once in awhile, they permamently die. Oftentimes, they'll wash up on shore and you get people back.

one_kill

Skorp said:
They usually wash up on the beach. You don't see them get washed up, they just appear back in your citizen list. Some citizens go away.

When they do return, they will be jobless and be classified as a carefree adult.

I wouldn't care too much about it unless you loose like 10+ citizens at once (which you can btw lol)

Skorp

Neo Member
AceBandage said:
I like how the IGN review has made this topic more lively than even the game release did.
:p
Cause everyone who got it was playing, when they stopped to check the review they came here :)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
one_kill said:
They usually wash up on the beach. You don't see them get washed up, they just appear back in your citizen list. Some citizens go away.

When they do return, they will be jobless and be classified as a carefree adult.

I wouldn't care too much about it unless you loose like 10+ citizens at once (which you can btw lol)

You sure about that? In the EU version if you get to the beach early enough (before their family'n'friends) you can see them lying there all exhausted and, well, 'washed up', you can talk with them, help them to their feet - it's a nice touch, connects you with the people.

Plus, in EU version, they keep their job class/uniform/stats. Did they change this for NA?

GhaleonQ

DevelopmentArrested said:
you are posting WAY too much!!!

*looks sheepish* I've been stuck in my dorm studying for my tests that are in 8 hours. I'm going crazy, so NeoGAF is my consolation. I bring news, though! http://www.411mania.com/games/featu...e-King\\s-Story-Producer-Yoshiro-Kimura--.htm

Hell Mode is a higher difficulty option that is only available when you finish the regular modes. In it, the enemies are super strong and the citizens are really weak. Also, something special happens to the bull named Pancho, the one that Howser rides on, in Hell Mode only. The ending will also change a little bit and you will feel like you've accomplished something if you beat it.

How they came up with the secret songs: But for the twenty secret ones, I actually asked my foreign friends - a lot of different people from places like Russia, Korea, Germany, Holland, and Italy to name a few - to come in. When they went into the recording booth I told them "ok, remember that song? Hum it so we can record it and put it in the game." Usually, when I ask them to do a specific song, two to three seconds are fine, but from thereon they completely forget how the melody goes, but I'll be in the booth saying "keep singing, keep singing," so they have to come up with their own melody to match what they think the song is supposed to sound like.

So are gamers supposed to be learning a moral lesson by playing this?

It's not necessarily a morality lesson or anything like that. It's more like - in regular everyday life, you interact with a lot of people. You may think some people are dumb, some people are stupid, some people are smart, and some people are worth your admiration. So in a way, you don't have to watch television or movies to be inspired, to find interesting people. You can find them by looking around nearby places like your neighborhood and trying to observe the people you find and understand what they're going through - try to learning something from there. More than just playing a video game, it's interesting to look at other characters and see what they're thinking and try to learn what makes them who they are.

A lot of reviews from European sites have already come out. The scores have been really high, especially from a place called Edge. They're known for really being harsh with their scores, but we got a really high one from them, so I'm really proud of how Little King's Story turned out. I'm especially happy about Edge's score because they concentrate on core games. Not only that, but the games they do need to be really interesting or have that something else for them to appreciate it.

Also, how he invented the game, which I think is new.

hampig said:
So, for anyone who's played this for a considerable amount of time, are you introduced to new things fairly consistently? Also, is it worth the money if this will be the last game I get for quite a few months?
Yes on both accounts. If you like side-questing this will keep you busy for a long time.

Skorp said:
It's OK to lose the odd citizen, often you can't help it and as others have stated, they usually wash up on shore. If you take care of your citizens and help them find their partners you will have lots of children anyway
which you can later "upgrade" to adults through a building instantly

one_kill said:

Definitely not true for the PAL version.

AceBandage said:
Did we ever figure out if this game is 480p or not?
Seems no one wants to answer.
PAL is not.

one_kill

phisheep said:
You sure about that? In the EU version if you get to the beach early enough (before their family'n'friends) you can see them lying there all exhausted and, well, 'washed up', you can talk with them, help them to their feet - it's a nice touch, connects you with the people.

Plus, in EU version, they keep their job class/uniform/stats. Did they change this for NA?
lol My bad! I learned something new today. I didn't know that :D

Oxx

It seemed to me that all of the minions you lose during boss fights would wash up on the beach the next morning. If they died during 'open-play' you might not be so lucky.

There will be more than enough inhabitants to fill your ranks, so unless you develop an emotional attachmemt with certain characters, death never becomes much of an issue.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oxx said:
It seemed to me that all of the minions you lose during boss fights would wash up on the beach the next morning. If they died during 'open-play' you might not be so lucky.

There will be more than enough inhabitants to fill your ranks, so unless you develop an emotional attachmemt with certain characters, death never becomes much of an issue.

True for boss fights - you're safe enough there.

Bu..but - how can you not get attached to them? It was you that married them, trained them put their childen through school ... I occasionally visit the widow and kids and take them down to the beach.

Guess that's why the game's taking me so long.

Oxx

Thanks to the beach and restarting if things went disastrously wrong I only actually lost one of my citizens.

RIP Tabith.

mclem

GhaleonQ said:
I'm not a Pikmin obsessive, but I really, really love those games. You need to pay a bit more attention to whom you bring to boss fights than in Pikmin 2, but the battles themselves are even better.

I'd just like to add that I disagree with that somewhat. My experience was that I did just fine with a fixed group of:

One of every unit currently available, with the remaining space taken up by a roughly balanced group of soldiers and hunters

That got me through every single boss. Things may possibly have been easier with a better-crafted group, but sorting out weapons for every last member was fiddly enough that I was happier with the fixed setup.

Is it safe to say that the freeze experienced by Volcynika was perhaps his/her Wii or regardless, not due to the game? Volcynika's the only one to even mention a freeze so far right?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It is probably the Wii, rather than the game.

However, there is one point later on in the game where it might look as though it has frozen
- towards the end of an animal footrace that you lose -
but that is because there is something else going on in the game that you may not be able to see because of the camera angle. It sorts itself out.

Volcynika

Hero of Legend said:
Is it safe to say that the freeze experienced by Volcynika was perhaps his/her Wii or regardless, not due to the game? Volcynika's the only one to even mention a freeze so far right?

Well, just keep in mind that I'm one of the few that got it yesterday due to the GLOIROUSNESS of release date delivery. As for the nature of the freeze, it froze with the screen still showing and then the music freezing at one note.

Anyways, I was lazy last night, so quick impressions for now:

I never played many games of this sort (didn't ever get into Pikmin or anything), but so far I find it very interesting. I've only gotten as far as the very first quest (
some skull cow monster thing in the graveyard
) before I quit, but I'm enjoying it. I looooooooove the use of classical music and setup (since I listened to it quite a bit years ago). It looks great and I don't even have any issue with it not having pointer. Don't care either way, but the current method is fine by me.

As for 480p, I have no idea where to look for it, and I don't have the setup to do that anyways. And don't ask me to look at the box / instruction booklet now, since I'm at work!

But at least my little Onii is at work with me!

hellclerk

GhaleonQ said:
*looks sheepish* I've been stuck in my dorm studying for my tests that are in 8 hours. I'm going crazy, so NeoGAF is my consolation. I bring news, though! http://www.411mania.com/games/featu...e-King\\s-Story-Producer-Yoshiro-Kimura--.htm

Hell Mode is a higher difficulty option that is only available when you finish the regular modes. In it, the enemies are super strong and the citizens are really weak. Also, something special happens to the bull named Pancho, the one that Howser rides on, in Hell Mode only. The ending will also change a little bit and you will feel like you've accomplished something if you beat it.

How they came up with the secret songs: But for the twenty secret ones, I actually asked my foreign friends - a lot of different people from places like Russia, Korea, Germany, Holland, and Italy to name a few - to come in. When they went into the recording booth I told them "ok, remember that song? Hum it so we can record it and put it in the game." Usually, when I ask them to do a specific song, two to three seconds are fine, but from thereon they completely forget how the melody goes, but I'll be in the booth saying "keep singing, keep singing," so they have to come up with their own melody to match what they think the song is supposed to sound like.

So are gamers supposed to be learning a moral lesson by playing this?

It's not necessarily a morality lesson or anything like that. It's more like - in regular everyday life, you interact with a lot of people. You may think some people are dumb, some people are stupid, some people are smart, and some people are worth your admiration. So in a way, you don't have to watch television or movies to be inspired, to find interesting people. You can find them by looking around nearby places like your neighborhood and trying to observe the people you find and understand what they're going through - try to learning something from there. More than just playing a video game, it's interesting to look at other characters and see what they're thinking and try to learn what makes them who they are.

A lot of reviews from European sites have already come out. The scores have been really high, especially from a place called Edge. They're known for really being harsh with their scores, but we got a really high one from them, so I'm really proud of how Little King's Story turned out. I'm especially happy about Edge's score because they concentrate on core games. Not only that, but the games they do need to be really interesting or have that something else for them to appreciate it.

Also, how he invented the game, which I think is new.
aw crap hell mode is going to drive me insane. :lol
just like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwKbKpwntS4#t=6m7s

anyway, the game is just a few hours away. can't wait :D

zigg

this review is SUPER POSITIVE

ign_lks_review_breakdown.jpg

Oli

Picked up my copy this afternoon. So far I'm really loving it, my expectations are exceeded. Which is saying a lot considering how much I've been wanting this one.

birdchili

Little King Story shipped to Canada. I got my copy from Gamecentre (sold out now though)
crap. i wanted to get it there...

i saw this at eb at lunch - i was pretty surprised at how many they had (over a dozen i'd say).

Apenheul

Interview on 411media said:
This game used to have a 2-player mode, but we couldn't make the QA and debug in time, so we had to take it out. And this is one of the things that I really wanted to have. But if Little King's Story does well and a lot of people get to play it and if I have a chance to make a sequel, that's definitely something I want to implement.

Wow, I do hope he gets the change to make a sequel!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Little King Story shipped to Canada. I got my copy from Gamecentre (sold out now though)
thanks for the heads-up. i'll be scouting for the game after work.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got into the office after a few days off, ill, to see a strangely lumpy Amazon box. Game and Onii mush-mush were already waiting for me. :)

Dineren

Banned
UPS dropped this off today during lunch. Didn't get to put much time into it yet, but I liked what I saw. Can't wait to get off work!

My amazon "release day" delayed shipment finally arrived :D I've been ignoring this thread mostly to avoid spoilers, but now I'm gonna play the hell out of this game!

Top Bottom